IMO this is not a good album. But it's also the album everyone seems to base their opinions of blackgaze on...

IMO this is not a good album. But it's also the album everyone seems to base their opinions of blackgaze on. There are so many strong bands in the genre, like Woods of Desolation, Oathbreaker, Alcest, and An Autumn for Crippled Children, and I feel that they're done a disservice by metalheads dismissing them as a group, based purely on Sunbather. The blackgaze genre is actually surprisingly strong on average.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=neM4H8AgVgw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

blackgaze is just shitty postrock

No, and you're literally dumb for saying that.

Blackgaze as a genre is pretty dull. There are good albums dotted around but the style itself doesn't lend itself to variety and experimentation since it's such a tight niche.

It's good but not nearly as good as New Bermuda.

it has better musicianship and production than pretty much any other blackgaze album. at this point nobody cares if you like it but its definitely not bad

This.

Blackgaze was a flash-in-the-pan genre crossover that was popular for barely a year after Sunbather came out. To blame its decline purely on metalheads refusing to buy into it is short-sighted, since it's extremely difficult to do both influences justice while still being enjoyable as a record

i've dismissed blackgaze since the first alcest and amesoeurs albums came out. the genre is shit. i think that the only good thing about Sunbather is that it scares people off of the genre quickly

There's a kernel of truth in that, but overall I disagree. Just using the band's I brought up as examples, Oathbreaker is basically crust punk with dream pop elements, and Alcest is shoegaze informed by the nature worship atmosphere of black metal. AAfCC follows the formula, but manage to do some really weird stuff with it. WoD also follow the formula, but they're a ridiculously tight band. Maybe those are just the cream of the crop, but I think they're worth considering.

>popular for barely a year after Sunbather came out
it started several years before Sunbather

> I discounted the genre as soon as it started
Opinion disregarded then

>Oathbreaker is basically crust punk with dream pop elements
this is another thing i hate about blackgaze - most of the shit included in it has nothing to do with black metal. most of it is just heavy-ish riffs/screamed vocals contrasted with dream pop/shoegaze/post rock elements. i don't get why every band with a sound like that is assumed to have the same black metal bonafides as Neige by virtue of the genre name. i wish that listeners of these bands would listen to literally anyone with a deep appreciation of black metal and understand that these bands by and large have nothing to do with the genre

but Sunbather made it hugely popular, to its detriment imo

>i don't get why every band with a sound like that is assumed to have the same black metal bonafides as Neige by virtue of the genre name. i wish that listeners of these bands would listen to literally anyone with a deep appreciation of black metal and understand that these bands by and large have nothing to do with the genre

It's almost like blackgaze attracts people who don't actually like black metal but want the brownie points/hipster cred of saying they do

>listen to the handful of albums that at the time basically constitute an entire genre (including shit like Lantlos and Pyramids)
>hate them all
>not allowed to dismiss the genre they come from

well, that's what i'm saying, yes. it's just such a bizarre phenomenon. like, can you name any other genre like this that is some kind of backdoor into cred for a genre it doesn't resemble? like no one treats Linkin Park like it's real hip hop or anything. i guess maybe the equivalent is all those shitty prog bands that let hippies pretend they liked jazz music or something, but it's not really the same.

Can we all agree that black metal came of age with Deafheaven? not to insult the bands that came before, but there really is no reason to go back to them when a work like Sunbather exists. Venom, Bathory, Sarcofago, Blasphemy, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Emperor... their existence was necessary, but ultimately this music we call black metal could only be refined into true art when such juvenille concepts as hatred, bleak forests and fantasy worlds were abandoned. enter Deafheaven...

youtube.com/watch?v=neM4H8AgVgw

i also don't get how their lead singer can look and act like a nazi onstage and not get the ire of the sjw crowd

the only one I can really think of is the Sup Forums dogma that Danny Brown is somehow post-punk because his new album is named after a Joy Division album, Kanye is prog because he sampled King Crimson, and Ho99o9 is metal because he's, like, super spoopy

tasty tasty pasta

>indie rock with harsh vocals is now considered black metal

the phenomenon of outsiders encroaching into scenes to reap authenticity is not limited to blackgaze lmao

>look like a nazi
>act like a nazi on stage

What did he mean by this?