Is it just me or is this album so mediocre compared to some of Bowie's other albums...

Is it just me or is this album so mediocre compared to some of Bowie's other albums? It's decent pop rock at best in my opinion but many people think it's his best.

Wouldn't call it mediocre by any means but I definitely like his later albums more. Even by Bowie standards its still a good album.

It really depends what people enjoy. If they like glam Bowie, I see why this one is their fave.

it's just you.

>changes
>Oh! You Pretty Things
>Eight Line Poem
>Life On Mars
>Kooks
>Quicksand
>Fill Your Heart
>Andy Warhol
>Song For Bob Dylan
>Queen Bitch
>The Bewlay Brothers

there's not a bad track on this album.

this

I think this is actually my favorite Bowie album. It just has a simple pop appeal that's not as reliant on image as some of his other works

I love it even after hearing everything he's done. Maybe you just need to give it a couple listens.

this is how i see it. Im more of a fan of this then the ziggy stuff and blackstar

Bewlay Brothers is the most underrated Bowie song.

Andy Warhol is a bad track

I wish for Quicksand he used something more like the demo version which is GOAT.

Best are

Changes
Eight Line Poem
Life On Mars
Quicksand
The Bewlay Brothers

*deletes Changes and Andy Warhol*

In some ways it's not as satisfyingly adventurous as the "Berlin" stuff or what have you, but the basic songs on Hunky Dory are some of his best. Those chord changes on, uh, Changes and Oh! You Pretty Things are phenomenal (they floored Rick Wakeman, who plays them on the album), there's the classic Life on Mars with such lines as "To my mother, my dog, and clowns," and a bunch of fun homages/nips at other artists.

To that last point, if you're not well-versed in the pop conventions of the time, you miss some of the wit on Hunky Dory. Kooks is a Neil Young pastiche, Queen Bitch is a VU/Lou Reed tribute, and Quicksand has that funny moment where it goes from stereo to mono.

This, but you forgot Oh! You pretty things

LAY ME PLACE AND BAKE ME PIE I'M HUNGRY FOR ME GRAVY

These are the only tracks worth a shit actually. Exactly my opinion. maybe Eight Line Poem is just okay though.

mono to stereo*

also forgot to mention that the story behind Life on Mars itself is funny, look it up

I wouldn't mind Eight Line Poem changing to Queen Bitch to be honest

It's the only one that didn't date.

Fill your heart is mediocre

cough cough plebfiltered

Love this album. In many ways the quintessential Bowie album, and will always consider it top 5. That being said I always skip Song For Bob Dylan and Andy Worhol.