youtube.com/watch?v=hSlb1ezRqfA
youtube.com/watch?v=P5-2-jD-42Q
youtube.com/watch?v=1fEnTj2GNlU
youtube.com/watch?v=-i5LOYYMVPk
youtube.com/watch?v=eLZXIXLoDjA
thedp.com/article/2017/04/who-performed-at-each-ivy-concert
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's more innovative than rock music

Rap is a level above poetry, since it’s not just about the words. It’s also about the rhythm that the words are arranged into, which most of the time is more intricate than any conventional poem

more like (C)rap lmao

How can you not like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=SLsTskih7_I

Yeah, since it's nigger music.
Niggers are unable to create anything resembling art, so of course only blockheads, pimps and other niggers listen to this shit.

garbage

youtube.com/watch?v=XxZkFuZRSDY

I doubt you can write something like this
youtube.com/watch?v=nYfceJhgvRM

Are you literally retarded?
>What is Jazz
>What is Blues
>What is Rock

rap is doodoo music

youtube.com/watch?v=w_05IXy5OZo

But most of the time the things being said are not worth as much as the things said in poetry

It's usually just saying "I'm the realist nigga and I'm really successful look how successful I am"

With the deepest it will ever go is
"I had to sell drugs because the white man kept me down but now I made it as a rapper and I made it"

It boggles my mind that someone can consider it on the same level of what it is. Could it potentially be better/harder to write than poetry? Yeah sure, but that's not the current state of rap music. Get over it

it's not bullshit but it's definitely overrated as hell

>rap
>music
i wanna die like now

>With the deepest it will ever go is
>"I had to sell drugs because the white man kept me down but now I made it as a rapper and I made it"
Jesus christ, educate yourself and don't ask me to spoonfeed you

>What is all the instruments needed to create that kind of music
>What is glorious caucasians perfecting those genres so they sound listenable

You're moving the goalposts.

I have listened to tons of rap music, but I've yet to read a single worthwhile lyrics coming from the genre. It's far, far below poetry.

This is deeper than the grand canyon
youtube.com/watch?v=-qxa91EwFco

youtube.com/watch?v=0cZ8-RgtrP0

Black rap music is

Top fucking kek

You can't come back with any artists who don't use these tropes or things like then because you can't.

youtube.com/watch?v=tjKHQeRSvjk
youtube.com/watch?v=Orlbo9WkZ2E

Off the top of my head:

MF Doom
Milo
Open Eagle Mike
Childish Gambino
Earl Sweatshirt

>Armed with seven rounds of space Doo Doo pistols

>Death grips song

>Thinks this is on par with poetry and these represent rap as a genre

Kek

I wasn't the guy who you were replying to.
I just wanted to post that song. It isn't deep lmao
But you said that all raps use the same trope so those raps prove you wrong.

What do you want though? Shakespeare?
What kind of lyrics do you listen to? Can you give me an example of deep lyrics? People like Cohen, Bob Dylan?

Too lyrical based, not enough melody

Listen to progressive rock and/or krautrock from the '70. Listen to Kraftwerk. These guys invented electronic music. Listen to King Crimson. I don't like these bands but you have to admit that THEY were innovative.

And please tell me how rap is innovative if it's basically doing the same shit again and again

Most of the time lyrics are fucking stupid. Like it was said before, most of the time it's just showing off one's wealth and bitches and the deepest it gets is whining about one's poor background and unexpected success. Poetry is much more than that...

You don't even need words to be poetic

This

I think this is true for pop as well
It shouldn't be called "music" but a "song" or, well, a "rap"

It should be called "music" when the voice is an instrument, with a melody, and not just as a vector for a message, no matter how truthful it is

youtube.com/watch?v=mPGv8L3a_sY

What about instrumental hip-hop?

>Most of the time lyrics are fucking stupid.
This is true of music in general. And just lol at all of these people romanticizing poetry as if most contemporary poetry isn't pretentious, god awful tripe.

poetry has always had an air of pretentiousness though. morissey's writing alone, is better than 90% of poetry released in the last 3 decades or so.

>Earth People

mah nigguh

>and these represent rap as a genre
Why do people who hate rap always think one or two artists have to represent the genre but never do the same for rock? How come we never do the same for artists like KISS or Aerosmith? Or Nickleback?

Because even the worst mainstream rock is better than the best mainstream rap artist

You heard it here first folks, Nickelback is better than Kanye.

>Because even the worst mainstream rock is better than the best mainstream rap artist
This isn't even remotely true.

>Doctor Octagon
My Nigga

Well it's not rap
I'm a rock dude and I recently got into Nujabes, and I love it even though I despise rap and hip-hop and usually listen music like this

listen to*

Many of Nujabes' songs feature rapping though.

Rap is a style of vocal delivery not a genre unto itself, songs of any genre can utilise rapping (ie Nu-Metal).

>prog/krautrock and Kraftwerk invented electronic music

bahahahahahahahahhaahahhaaaa I don't even have a proper reaction music to express how stupid you are

I think rap can be pretty good if it's done right, but rappers fuck up sometimes and make nothing but forgettable songs about money and bitches
Personally, I like the sound and personality rap has, but that's just an opinion

rap is not music

youtube.com/watch?v=hSlb1ezRqfA

Yeah maybe, but since I just recently got into his songs I haven't heard these ones yet.

Of course. RATM is good imo because their music is not entirely focused on rapping, the music is also important. I feel like when I'll listen to some of Nujabes with rapping the importance of the music will drop somehow, because his music is made to be rapped on, idk it's weird. I might give it a try but stick to instrumental ones.

>rap is innovative

I didn't say that

(but for the record, rap has been more innovative in this decade then rock has been since the 70s)

youtube.com/watch?v=P5-2-jD-42Q

This is probably his most popular song, do you really think the rapping diminishes its quality?

>since the seventies
Of course, I agree. But rock is older than rap. I meant it was innovative in the 60s/70s, but if you listen to it now it's outdated.

(Can't listen to it rn)
Idk but if I have to ignore the rapping to enjoy the music... See what I mean ? It has to go well with the music, so if I don't like rapping... But I'll give it a try

Anyone who unironically listens to rap music is an indoctrinated, uninformed person who wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Western culture and inferior African tribes prancing around with plates in their lower lips.

Nah dude but
that's mean bro

How much does it does it hurt to know that rock (which black artists invented btw) is stagnant and irrelevant while hip-hop is trailblazing, reaching ever greater heights of popularity and acclaim?

Calm your fat tits Sup Forums

People like this are the racists of music and I don't even like rap

Extremists, pro-rap or pro-rock, are equally dumb

My statement says nothing about rock music, or that it's about it being black in origins.

My salt purely stems from the degenerate culture that comes with it, the same could be said for general pop music.
The beat or music itself I have no issue with whatsoever.

lmao anyone who vehemently likes only rock or rap is retarded. appreciate all genres you guys

At least nickleback knows how to play intruments. What does Kanye do come up with some 4/4 beat made out of fucking cans dropping on the floor or some other retarded ass beat. Yeah he writes lyrics. But so does every rock band and the rock bands actually play instruments and make music that takes more talent than some person pressing a few buttons on a computer. (Which Kanye probably doesn't even do himself) And yeah I would rather listen to nickleback than kanye. Kanye is just an overrated rapper who makes unlistenable "music" and raps about all the same things as every other rapper. And you retards eat it up because the beat sounds "unconventional" and "new" when really it's just 4/4 with some stupid synth effect

>the degenerate culture that comes with it

Wait you're talking about rap music right lmao

Are you retarded, or do you fail to read my entire post?

I clearly state I don't care about that it has its roots in black culture. That's not my point.

Damn sorry I misread you post.

Yes. The supposed art-form that has been subject to a propoganda-esque scope of being promoted amongst the youth for decades, deteriorating the innate Western values.

It happens, I aint mad

I grew up with hip hop. Mainly because I come from a family who was into classical music and jazz, with the latter almost being considered a guilty pleasure. I naturally rebelled against it, so rap was a good vehicle for my rebellion.

As I grew older, my sensitivity to art evolved. The themes revolving around hip hop were less of an interest to me and the artistry that went into conveying them got boring and self-indulgent as I got introduced to other forms of music and literature. I just grew a tolerance to hip hop in the same way you grow a tolerance to drugs once you are exposed to more potent ones/higher doses.

I guess I take issue with hip hop culture more than the music itself. I appreciate some subsets of hip hop more than others, but they all intersect in a culture that i find self-indulgent, self-important and ignorant to the great heritage of art as a whole. I know this is controversial, but I can't believe anyone educated beyond a certain level takes hip hop seriously, unless it's some sort of a cultural fetish. It has very little to offer.

I also wish people would stop playing the race card and conflate hip hop culture with black culture.

You can say that about any genre.

>the genre is only good if the artist is good.

Wow. Fucking fantastic insight. These are the bold takes that only Sup Forums can come up with.

THANK YOU

Most people either claim
>but it's n-niggers
or
>you're j-just r-racist

I know this is probably bait but rap actually could be a level above poetry if it was done properly. As it stands it's not (in the vast majority of cases at least) and it's not really just rap either. Most lyricists don't have a grasp on language in the same way that a halfway decent poet would.

That's not to say some rappers aren't better than some poets but as it stands rap is nowhere near the level of poetry as a whole.

Nah. I used to be a faggot who thought that anything outside of rock was complete shit, but once I actually started listening to rap, I started to gain a bit of an appreciation for the genre. I found some similarities between rap and rock in looking at the fact that both genres contain songs that are meant to have a deep meaning or tell a story while there are also songs in both genres that aren't meant to have some deep meaning and are just made to pump up the listener, and both of these types of songs can be equally enjoyable to listen to depending on the mood of the listener. I just think the reason that a lot of people hate rap music is because that a lot of shitty pop artists nowadays claim to be rappers, so they just base their opinion on rap off of those artists and don't really make any attempt to delve into the genre to see what it's all about. That and I believe there are a number of music elitists (like I was a couple of years ago) that refuse to accept groups that don't play instruments as real musicians or refuse to believe that anything made after the 90's can be good music.

youtube.com/watch?v=1fEnTj2GNlU

Curious, do you think something like this reaches the lyrical level of poetry?

Nah, I think it's that low grade diluted bullshit. If you want the pure stuff, you gotta listen to kvlt Black Metal.

>is a genre of music that does not care about musicality, bullshit?
g idk

I'm a spiritual lyrical individual Spiritual lyrical hearable individual

is this some hot new pasta

Rap and hip Hop are fine when the lyrics are meaningful but Trap should die like 80s hair metal at this point

Pic related

>

i understand why dr octagon is important for paving the way for a lot of weirdo rap but i think his shit is so whack. he doesnt even flow on the beat and talks complete nonsense

Here's the full pasta

Aha, ayo
Who would've thought that a white boy would bring hip hop back?
Yo, I do it for the real hip hop you know what I'm sayin'?
Fuck Drake, real hip hop

I'm a spiritual lyrical individual spiritual miracle lyrical individual spiritual miracle individual
Skippin' and flippin' and dippin' and skippin' and flippin' and dippin' and illest to killest the skill is the realest
I'm the realest of the realest
I'm bringin' real hip hop back don't you ever forget it
Fuck Lil Wayne and the government's corrupt
Fuck the government cause I don't give a fuck
I'm the realest in the game cause I'm underground
Fuck that mainstream shit cause I don't give a fuck
I'm a spiritual lyrical miracle lyrical spiritual illest of miracle lyricals flippin' and dippin'

Real hip hop, don't you ever forget it
It's that underground shit, it's the white boy that said it
Real hip hop, don't you ever forget it
It's that underground shit, it's the white boy that said it

You just didn't heer tha reel shiiet, OG
youtube.com/watch?v=-i5LOYYMVPk

y'all, post some rap that:

1. Deals with more than money, sex or drugs, or at least deals with these themes in a more than surface level way.

2. Presents a certain degree of, if not melodical, at least rhytmical complexity (even through flows and rhyming, not necessarily through the beat).

I'm genuinely curious to see what comes out. Will listen to and some of .

haven't you ever heard of meter, noob

>Extremists, pro-rap or pro-rock
What is wrong with you?

am, checkin First one,this is a pretty cool beat, his flow's kinda lazy and uninteresting though, the hook's shit.

Lyrics are random bullshit as far as I can figure it out. I get he's comparing himself to some sort of alien god coming down to earth, but he doesn't do anything with that. He's just like, yeah I'm an alien, I do alien shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=eLZXIXLoDjA

death memes, ehh, had already listened to them previously. It's...okay, couldn't understand Ride half the time so I googled the lyrics, don't think they're about anything in particular more than trying to sound good over the music. And that's okay, I guess.

thanks man, will take a look at this too after that Milo one

>but I can't believe anyone educated beyond a certain level takes hip hop seriously
Yeah I'm sorry but no. If there is anyone who loves Hip Hop, it's well educated millenials. Anyone who has ever attended an elite academic institution can confirm that all of those types listen to trap, electronic, r&b and maybe a bit of indie. The same is true of virtually all young, highly educated professionals I've met living in top tier cities and working in tech/law/finance/consulting/medicine etc.
thedp.com/article/2017/04/who-performed-at-each-ivy-concert
Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that they take they music "seriously" in the sense that they care about the lyrical content but I would submit that anyone who earnestly thinks that the lyricism of any other genre of popular music is "deep" is probably quite dumb. Additionally, I don't know how seriously they take the musicianship underpinning hip hop, but at the same time, most highly educated people who haven't studied music specifically aren't really in a position to critique that in any genre of music other than saying "it sounds good" or "I like it".

Forgot to quote

Maybe, maybe not. It's enjoyable bullshit though.

>millenials
Stopped reading right there

wow what a non-statement

>Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that they take they music "seriously" in the sense that they care about the lyrical content but I would submit that anyone who earnestly thinks that the lyricism of any other genre of popular music is "deep" is probably quite dumb
100% this.

You're a fucking idiot. Poetry is all about rhythm.

Not the one you replied to

No.

I used to think that music was one thing that everyone liked and appreciated but I don't believe that's the case anymore. Most people don't listen to their music with any amount of focus or scrutiny, just play that shit in the background and fuck it. Rap/Trap allows these kinds of people to quickly get the dopamine rush that we know comes with "predicting" parts of a song (whether it be a hook or a bass drop) along with simple repetitive beats to groove to.

I like enough rap and music with rap elements that I know I am not just biased against the whole concept of it all, but rap as a genre just seems to have very little staying power. I rarely find anyone discussing old rap greats, meanwhile everyone knows Nirvana, ACDC, Led Zeppelin et cetera, and in my own experience I get sick of rap music much quicker than other genres.

It is though. Have you ever actually read any poetry?

I'd love to attend a poetry reading of yours. I'm sure your take on The Raven would be interesting.

Do you also think classical music isn't rhythmic?

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I too have been around those kind of circles, but graduated 5 years ago, so I imagine it's only gotten even more popular. The fact that pophop is so present at ivy league/red brick uni concerts has nothing to do with the calibre of these institutions. It has everything to do with the fact that it's present everywhere though. It speaks to its overarching popularity. Hell, it IS pop music, has been for the past 10 years.

I'm sorry, but no one who is familiar with the history of music and/or musical theory to the point where they are literate in classical music and takes an active interest in history, literature and philosophy beyond community college gender studies classes takes hip hop seriously. Sure, some attend events just for social purposes, but they never listen to hip hop religiously at home.

I know there's been an active agenda to kill the high culture - low culture divide since the Frankfurt school, but no serious person buys it. Hip hop belongs to low culture and its place is at the bottom of the dominance hierarchy even within that context.

>What is glorious caucasians perfecting those genres so they sound listenable
your "caucasians" dont come close to the level of perfection blacks reached in jazz and blues. jazz is an art form you pleb, you wouldn't understand