27.Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
>7/10
28.Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree
>6/10
29.Goodspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend Ascend
>7/10
30.Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
>No Score Yet

thoughts? btw i left the live albums out.

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/david-bowie/★-_blackstar_/reviews/28/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Still caring about what Scaruffi thinks.

You can leave now.

6 is still good by Scaruffi standards.

>caring about what other people care about

You can leave now.

*My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Also this, it really is amazing how people can't comprehend a rating system thats just a little bit different from the norm and hate Scaruffi because of it

>YOU DIDNT GIVE MY FAVORITE BAND A BIG NUMBER THAT MEANS YOU HATE THEM AND THAT MAKES ME ANGRY GRRR FUCK SCARUFFI

If anyone other than Bowie released Blackstar it would've gotten a higher rating. Scaruffi just needs to keep his cred up.

That's just not true, its not even in the top 10 best Bowie albums. The only reason people like it at all is

>Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.

this is incontrovertible truth

It came out a week before he died and was getting rave reviews the day it came out user.

And so were the singles and music videos that came out months before it, I should add. You're only saying that because Scaruffi's ya boii and you feel a need to defend him.

People knew he was on deaths door though, a lot of the reviews went on about how sick he looked, same effect

That's just blatantly false. It was getting praise from various publications as well as mu way before he died, since the album leaked in late 2015.

Looked up, it was two days, my bad. It was still already getting rave reviews. If you have the time go far back enough into the archives, it's there. I listened to it the day it came out and was thoroughly impressed with it. And I wasn't a Bowie fan at the time, I thought he was someone who appealed to people who wanted to be different for the sake of being different.

based pedogod

Still, no one remembered 'Blackstar' after Bowie passed away on Sup Forums. I've read many 'RIP Bowie' thread, but no one talked about his latest album.

He was reportedly talking about making another album before died so that's also blatantly false.

No, they didn't.
Only when the music video to Lazarus was released people started getting concerned.

this is true, i dont know why i feel so compelled to defend a middle aged Italian computer scientist turned amateur critic who believes his fridge is sentient and that 14 should be the age of consent on an internet music forum

i need help

nice falseflag

Well, yes, if Kendrick Lamar died tomorrow I'm sure there'd be far more RIP threads than threads talking about DAMN. Blackstar discussion didn't grind to a halt though, it was still there. Again, check the archives if you don't believe me.

And mind you, I also think that Fantano was wrong to give Blackstar a 9/10 just because Bowie died (though that's probably what I'd give it). But to say that no one was giving it praise before Bowie died is blatantly false.

im not falseflagging, the mans a little unhinged

Everyone knows Scaruffi is never that reliable when it comes to popular artists. I'm not saying he's a contrarian. It's just that he doesn't like that sort of music. We all have our tastes, and we're always more reliable when it comes to stuff we like.

You go for Scaruffi for more experimental and obscure genres and artists. I may not agree with him on The Beatles, but I've learned about so many cool artists from him that I can't not like him.

There isn't many but here are some rym reviews from before died and they're all still very positive:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/david-bowie/★-_blackstar_/reviews/28/
>I felt as though my soul had been vacuumed from my lungs.
>December 2015
>I only wish some of the single versions ended up on the album itself.
>January 7, 2016
>PRE-BOWIE (1/4): An album that visits the outer fringes of rock music, with a backing band made entirely of jazz musicians. I can't not fuck with the sound here. This is some of David Bowie's most immediate music, and a strong album of the year contender directly out of the gate.
>POST-BOWIE (1/11): Shit.
I actually have to disagree with that. He calls The Rolling Stones the greatest rock and roll band and has a Springsteen album in his top 25. I think he just has his own tastes.

>Everyone knows Scaruffi is never that reliable when it comes to popular artists
Kanye West has the highest rating on the top 10.

the "rave reviews" were standard "he's way past his prime and is still making good music" reviews when they came out before he died. Pitchfork gave it an 8.4 or something. they were positive reviews for an album that was good but not much more. i remember 'cause I read these reviews shortly after listening to it on the first day and not liking it much. i listened to it a few more times, once before he died and then a couple more times afterward. i followed the RYM page, critics' reviews, etc. there was a major sea change when he died from "a dignified release worthy of an aging rocker who has disappointed a bit recently" to "a final masterpiece from the starchild"

>Having listened to the singles 'Blackstar' and 'Lazarus' extensively before the release, I was hoping the rest of the album would be as good - but kinda afraid it wouldn't be.
>I was not disappointed.
>Besides track 2, which tries to be a lot but ends up failing to impress, the album is consistently good and certainly not too long. Bowie still has it!
>Bowie gets progressive again (or what it is now called "art" wherever possible, not to drop sales by using a tainted term), and the results are astounding. Moody, atmospheric, adventurous. His best album since "Scary Monsters", I think, and it's been a while.
>Although he never mentioned it, but it seems he's been listening a lot of Scott Walker recently. The title track and "Sue" are the utmost reminders.
>Very swift album, the first thing i did when i finished listening it was to look how long it was: 40:13. I was shocked because it felt so short (that it always a good thing). The album doesnt drag at any song. I would divide this album into the first 3 tracks (the more experimental songs) and the last 4.
>Ironically thought, i preffered the last 4 tracks than the first 3, this doesnt mean Bowie shouldnt try to make something more experimental, it just means that he has to keep doing it.
>Favorites tracks: Girl loves me, Dollar Days.
>I expected this album to be overrated just because of the circumstances around its release ,but i was pleasantly surprised. This sounds so much like fresh, modern music it's kinda shocking it was released by an old dying man who actually used his state at the time of the recording as a theme to make songs like "Lazarus" sound personal and moving. I haven't heard Bowie's last recordings before this, so I can't judge them, but I'm glad this album in particular isn't just music for people nostalgic for bowie's 70's "golden age".

also, bowie only gets rave reviews from listeners and critics because the kind of person who takes bowie albums seriously is seriously lacking a musical education and probably also thought kamasi washington was the first good jazz leader in the past 40 years when The Epic came out. it's no surprise that putting a saxophone on a record and doing a bad Scott Walker impression would make them think Bowie was making le highest of arte

>the "rave reviews" were standard "he's way past his prime and is still making good music" reviews when they came out before he died.
Which is why The Next Day wasn't also getting them? And Paul McCartney's New wasn't? Dylan's haven't been getting since Modern Times?

I'm telling you now, this was the first Bowie album I was actually impressed by.

>btw i left the live albums out.

Before the Dawn is a live album. Why it's in the top 30 I'll never understand.

You won't convince him, he's too far up his own contrarian rectum

damn i missed that one

I said that this was a good album worthy of being welcomed as a good album (even if i personally thought it was stupid, overwrought, and messy). you are really dense if you think the two conditions of criticism are abject rejection and overwhelming praise. this album got appropriately positive reception until he died, at which point it turned into an all-time masterpiece in the eyes of critics and listeners. that's all that i'm claiming. those other albums are objectively worse (though it is also worth noting that Macca and Dylan release a new album every year or two, so there's not as much hubbub and hype around them).

I'm not saying those are the only two conditions. I'm saying you're objectively wrong to claim to that the (or the level of) praise is only coming because of his death. It was already being hailed as a masterpiece. Again, the archive is at your disposal. I've already posted the appropriate rym links.

And you didn't claim that you were saying it's only getting praise as a masterpiece because of his death. You claimed >The only reason people like it at all is
>>Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.
>this is incontrovertible truth

At least we can all agree on that Blackstar review

there are two people itt talking about the reception before his death. one is saying he wasn't praised at all, and that guy's wrong. i'm saying that the praise was tempered before he died. i refer you back to pitchfork's 8.4 review and the volume and effusiveness of the RYM reviews. i'm not checking the Sup Forums archive because every time a hyped album drops, there's a massive group of dickriders who spams the album. doubly so when it's a good rock album, 'cause the usual shitposters who spam negative feedback in hip hop album threads aren't there to dilute the waters.

he overrated all of them

>I have bad opinions and feel compelled to share them

>TPAB>MBDTF
>TPAB>GKMC
jesus RYM is shit

GKMC actually has the better rating by a tenth.

you're a fucking idiot

this but unironically

>2.17

fuck you plebs