ITT: Movies better than There Will be Blood

ITT: Movies better than There Will be Blood

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bHKE_L76JG4
youtube.com/watch?v=eueFItCd2ng
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Long shot, but someone here might remember and I can't be arsed re-watching the entire film. What's the quote from Sortilege, the narrator, i think at the tail end of one scene where she's saying Doc ought to leave A$AP?
Something something get the fuck out of something
Really annoyed me earlier. I swear it's just because Newton's got that weird accent, but the intonation sounds, phonetically, something like "Pangokek get the fuck out of Aikey"

What is Doc supposed to be getting out of? I can try to find it if you let me know the scene in particular.

I love Inherent Vice, and I grow to love it more with each time I watch it, but There Will be Blood is on a whole the better film. Just nowhere near as fun to watch

Cheers, but I can't recall the situation for the fucking life of me, just remember the line reading really vividly.
Scanning through the shooting script now, I think it comes at the end of a breathlessly read monologue from her, a jumpy, quick bit of V.O which ends with that line

... okay so you've narrowed it down to just about every one of her lines.

Tell me about it, her every bit of dialogue in this script looks the same. Wish I could recall something about the surrounding scene

Yea, fuck it, I'll just watch it again, its not like anything remotely comparable has come out in the last, what ten years now?

Inherent Vice is PTAs best movie.
Was it perhaps his first time meeting Coy?

Checking it now

Inherent Vice came out in 2014. Even the book is less than a decade old

No offense user, but you have the worst memory.

doper

First of all, nope.
Second of all, Owen Wilson has a weird looking profile

No such luck, that's the "Could it be that..." monologue which ends "I dunno". Currently trying the PCP scene

>get accused of having a terrible memory by someone with horrendous reading comprehension

I'm saying its one of the best things to come out in the last nine, almost ten years now, regardless of it's position on that timeline.

The search for this line will end me

I've given up and just have it running at 1.77x speed, and its actually easier to follow than it was at 1x, my entire worldview has been shaken to it's core.

As someone who has worked with ex-NYPD officers for the last 4 years, this line has always stood out to me:

>On principle he tried to spend as little time around the glass house as possible. All this strange alternative cop history and cop politics, cop dynasties, cop heroes and evil doers, saintly cops and psycho cops, cops too stupid to live and cops too smart for their own good, insulated by secret loyalties and codes of silence from the world they'd all been given the control.

so by making the narrator a woman, and giving that woman the best lines, is PTA trying to say pynchon writes like a woman?

Not the scene where he realizes Bigfoot set him up, either. Was fucking sure that was the one

Have you read the book and possibly have a scene from that mixed into the movie?

Sortilege doesn't exist in the book

Not a chance, unfortunately. It's the line reading- intonation, performance- that I remember really clearly, rather than the line itself.
Sounds very like the "Bigfoot, you motherfucker" line near the end, so I assume it's in a similar scene

That movie was so fucking boring. I read the book and watched in theaters and can't even remember anything about it.

Sortilege got all of pynchons flowery prose tangents though.

What? She was a minor character though not the narrator.

More like he writes like an LSD addled hippie

Ha, it's after doc shoots that nazi. Bigfoot puts the asian drugs in docs car and Lege says that line.

... fuck you I checked that scene

I can't imagine your frustration
Godspeed

That's like 2 hours into the movie. Something something "Doper's ESP... Ohhh noo Bigfoot you motherfucker."

I could swear you're right, but I've just watched that scene through and couldn't hear it anywhere. Time stamp?

There's nothing in that scene close to "Pangokek get the fuck out of Aikey"

so what the fuck

There a theatrical vs dvd cut difference? I'm watching that scene on a DVD rip as I write this, and that line should be here and isn't

Swear I'm losing my mind. Watched this in the cinema with a dozen people, everyone quoted that line for months along with a million others, now I'm re-watching the scene I assumed it was from and hearing nothing of the sort

... uh, nothing official? but disney did just release like five different cuts of TFA to different regions, all with different scenes dropped/added according to what that region would get. And the source region for rips is always random as fuck.

I understand why disney did it, but the idea it was done for inherant vice is horrifying

Wait, are we looking for that "pangokek" or "bigfoot, you motherfucker"? Cause the latter is at 2:04:00

It being better than TWBB is a stretch but objectively
Inherent Vice>The Big Lebowski

"pangokek" or whatever. "Bigfoot you motherfucker" is easy as fuck to find.

wtf is a pangokek

a mangled half-remembered onomatopoeia of a phonetic reproduction of line that OP is convinced is in the movie, but no one can find

I love Inherent Vice, but come on.

The line, now I'm having to think about it, is exactly the kind of tiny, minor ADR that could be cut and left un-replaced (somewhere in the silence between 2:05:07 and 2:05:09). But why?
Pynchon and PTA, doing it to fuck with us, make the viewer end up as paranoid and lost as the characters. Too meta, can't handle this at all

OP sounds like a pangokek pankeku

I consider Paul Thomas Anderson an absolute genius and he is my favorite filmmaker on Earth but this is the best movie of 2007

youtube.com/watch?v=bHKE_L76JG4

Reality is a simulation in a state of degradation and that bit of data was lost, but we're still here, trying to recover what amounts to a bad sector on a dying hard drive.

Exactly. If we do find this- if the shooting scene was a red herring and it turns out to be from some other part of the film- it probably won't sound anything. But "get the fuck out" if a noticeable enough line to just vanish entirely, mumbled as it may have been

Everytime I share this movie with someone new, this is the scene that always sells the rest of the film to them. Like yeah the plot is largely incomprehensible the first time around, but it's gunna be a fun ride no matter what

The following are all better than that bloated mess:
4 Months, 3 weeks, and 2 days
Waitress
Eastern Promises
Michael Clayton
Hot Fuzz
Juno
No Country for Old Men
There Will be Blood

i take a poop on ur face

>juno

keking every kek

Sucks to suck

I didn't say it was great, just that it's better than Jesse Ford

2007 was a stupidly good year in film and the 9 years since have been a fucking wasteland, except for inherant vice.

ISN'T IT MOTO PANIKEKO?

sortilege didn't say MOTO PANIKEIKU

youtube.com/watch?v=eueFItCd2ng

But she should, would be hilarious

Just about every line in the movie is solid gold.

But that's what happens when you take a hatchet to a pynchon novel and manage to come away with something remotely coherent.

I know exactly what you're talking about and I'm almost certain that it was around the scene where Doc escapes after getting kidnapped and sees the cop

You've lost your mind. I've gone through the entire movie and sortilege doesn't say anything about getting out ASAP or pangokek.

Its also kinda scary how easy newsome is to understand at x1.77 play speed, its like she talks in slow motion.

Maybe HBO will make a Mason & Dixon miniseries

we need a GR one first

BoB basically meant GR can't happen.

what is BoB

nvm band of bunnies. I guess that would be a bad look for HBO

ITT shit films I like better than another shit film

>Hot Fuzz
>Juno
please die in a fire. Though I agree with Jesse James was highly overrated.

... band of brothers...

2014 was a pretty good year
>Inherent Vice
>Birdman
>Night Crawler
>Whiplash
>Interstellar
>Blue Ruin
>Gone Girl
>Guardians of the Galaxy
>Grand Budapest Hotel
>Mommy
>Wild Tales
>Under the Skin

Nice bait you goddamned piece of shit.

They might as well revisit WWII given that The Pacific was such fucking shit. Literally the best thing to come out of that miniseries was the scene with the pebble going in the dead nip's skull

>Inherent Vice is PTAs best movie.
The Master is

The Master is by far his most stunning film in all aspects, but it has that period towards the end where it loses some steam. IMO inherent vice is flawless as well as insanely fun

The Master is really good, but I strongly disagree. It's Anderson's second weakest movie; the worst is Magnolia - by far. It's honestly amazing they even let PTA keep going after Magnolia because holy shit that movie is a bloated mess

>including Whiplash, Nolan, and fucking GONE GIRL without mentioning Jarmusch's film or anything at Cannes or A Pidgeon Sat on a Branch Contemplating It's Existence

I hate this place and gone girl was one of the worst flicks I've seen - nothing against fincher though

yea i know guy. Did you actually think I thought it was called band of bunnies

Pure Kino desu