“If this team doesn’t put points on the board I don’t see how they can win.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UBAfJJThlAg
youtube.com/watch?v=facVh75-vW4
youtube.com/watch?v=NCAHil5R_h0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

“Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they’re bigger than everybody else, and that’s what makes them the biggest guys on the field.”

“Here's a guy who when he runs, he moves faster.”

“Well, when you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football.”

"If the quarterback throws the ball in the endzone and the wide receiver catches it, it's a touchdown."

"He would have scored a touchdown if he hadn't been tackled right there."

It baffles me how he has an owl and got to commentate on a game franchise named after him.

"The defense should be expecting a run or a pass here."

"They'll score if they can just get into the endzone."

Probably did well with football players by being a dad figure and explaining his expectations in a simple and straightforward way. Probably did well as a commentator for the games because of all the people that watch NFL that don't really understand it. Must have still been a lot smarter than he sounded.

>implying he wasn't bringing his partner back to reality when they got too fixated on secondary statistics like time of possesion as a measure of winning

Al Michaels:
>Well, it appears that he has pulled his groin.
John Madden:
>And it’s a shame, it’s such a great groin.

I always used to tell my players that we are here to win! And you know what, Al? When you don't win, you lose.

You got one guy going boom, one guy going whack, and one guy not getting in the endzone.

Kekd and checkd

>Al, I'm gonna be honest about this, in order for New York to bounce back from this they need to a better job at defending against the air

>"90% of the game is half mental."

truly the yogi berra of football

More.

>Boom!
- John Madden

It's hard to explain. You really needed to see the games he covered to get it.
One of his great strengths was how he hobnobbed with coaches and players and always had quotes and stories to tell. Even during 4th quarter garbage time in a game between two already-eliminated teams.

>When you don't win, you lose.

WHOA!

>ties

>TOUGH ACTIN' TINACTIN!

- John Madden

Frank Caliendo had the GOAT madden impersonation.

Miss him so much. He was hilarious and made ridiculous comments similar to these but he knew a fuckton more than any other color man.

his joy and enthusiasm were infectious. RIP.

youtube.com/watch?v=UBAfJJThlAg

pure filth

>when you hit the qbs arm while hes throwing, he cant throw the ball accurately

“The best way to gain more yards is advance the ball down the field from the line of scrimmage."

>you have to unload on him before he unloads on you

This.

So true about his stories. I was always entertained when Madden and Sumerall were commentating. He had his dumb and obvious quotes, but he really knew the game of football and had a lot of personal experiences he shared with the people watching. GOAT commentator.

my favorite

“There definitely needs to be water on the sidelines for these players, but I also had some Gatorade just in case they were allergic to the water or vice versa.”

"The reason those guys are so tired down there is they're playing on artificial turf, so they're not getting oxygen from the grass."

That one still cracks me up.

He was more like a baseball commentator than a football one.

you cannot lose games in the nfl and still win

top lel

I miss him bros

"I'm telling you right now, if they can score more points than their opponent, they have a strong chance of winning this game."

"Now now here's a guy, that when he wears his contacts, he can see the field better."

>You just got the feeling he smelled the A-hole and then got it in the endzone

I remember one game, Madden went off talking about "nobody wants to grow up to become a ref. Clearly something happened in their lives to put them in that situation." AL was just like " um, yeah, John. "

A lot of times when you're winning, the winning is all about playing not to lose.

"You just got the feeling that he smelled the a-hole" - A real thing that John Madden actually said during a live football broadcast

Lol would love to see this.

Holy fuck did he actually say this? Either he's an idiot or a master troll.

>Whenever you talk about a Mike Shanahan offense, you’re always going to be talking about his offense.

He's a dad-tier troll.
He'll say something retarded just to make you go "huh????"

>he puts the ball in the other hand so he can unload on him, and johnson has to get his load ready so he can load the load

he never changed his delivery, so it was hard to tell when he was joking often

youtube.com/watch?v=facVh75-vW4

"And we're gonna win, because if we don't win, we're losers, and losers don't win, so we're gonna win so much we never lose."

>They have a kid so they must be married
Truly a different time

>baby bucket

>tfw you missed madden in his prime

at least we still have phil simms

youtube.com/watch?v=NCAHil5R_h0

He's going to be this Year's Major celebrity death

Screencap this.

I would expect this kind of behavior from a leaf...

Will we ever get a more thoughtful and analytical football mind than this?

>had the GOAT madden impersonation.
>had

RIP Frank Caliendo

Caspere knew this.

>we just gotta get pucks on net keep moving our legs play our game