/swg/ + /fmg/ = Film Production General

DEATH TO THE STRAWPOLL EDITION.

What is your mark as a filmmaker, screenwriter, or even actor? What's something you'd try to insert in all your work?

>Useful Resources
learnaboutfilm.com/
nofilmschool.com/
youtube.com/user/filmriot
youtube.com/user/curtisjudd
youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting
filmmakingessays.tumblr.com/
imsdb.com/
screenwriting.info/

>Free Screenwriting Software
fountain.io/faq
story.adobe.com/
storywriter.amazon.com/
trelby.org/
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/

>Active Contests
screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
tblaunchpad.com/

>Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/180599537
youtube.com/watch?v=nLSUrTxquyE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know if a similar story has been done before, but because of how unmarketable it would likely be-- here's a freebie I thought up on my bike ride home today:

Devil's Advocate
>A lawyer who sold his soul to Satan is given a chance to get it back-- by representing the devil in a court case against God.

This is a joke, correct?

I'm the guy who always talks about his Larry Clark esque script. Script is mostly done except for a bit more polishing, and showing it to some peers.

I also need to learn to use a camera as well as write a shooting script because I plan on shooting it once I have the resources available and know how to direct.

I said I didn't know if something similar had been done, and I googled the plot of that, it isn't what I posted anyway. Just change the title of mine to something else, it'd be a good comedy.

Who the fuck is Larry Clark?

A lawyer that works for the devil sounds pretty similar if you ask me, but I find it inspiring that you're still motivated anyway.

A guy who makes movies about delinquent teenagers. He directed Bully, which is one of my favorite films.

'Devil's Advocate' is a common phrase, Advocate is a synonym for lawyer, and there are multiple fictional works where a lawyer works for the devil.

It's not a real original idea, man. Just like robots turning on humanity, or any other trope. But okay, no fun allowed.

>He directed Bully, which is one of my favorite films.
Never heard of it, would I like his movies if I like Wes Anderson? And you don't happen to be a pedophile, right?

>Advocate is a synonym for lawyer,
>and there are multiple fictional works where a lawyer works for the devil.
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY.

And I understand what you're going through, I'm struggling with a generic idea right now too.

> Never heard of it, would I like his movies if I like Wes Anderson?

Not sure. Check out Another Day in Paradise and that could be a good indicator of whether you like him or not.

> And you don't happen to be a pedophile, right?

Of course not. Clark's movies are notorious for having lots of gratuitous sex (though the actors are always 18+) but my movie would probably have no sex in it.

I literally said I didn't want it in my first post, but you just want to pick a fight about anything and that's fine.

Here's another freebie, since I sympathize with your plight of unoriginality:

MEMORY
>Refurbished androids have their memories factory reset before being sent out to new buyers. When a model is incorrectly reset following a violent destruction and regains memories of previous owners, it feigns ignorance and finds itself as the aide to a young family.

Maybe one day you'll learn creativity, and that just because something has similar subject matter does not mean it's the same story.

Cool, I really like movies and shows with realistic depictions of children.
But I'm never watching Kids because it has my waifu Rosario Dawson getting involved with a white boy.

Actually she doesn't get involved with anyone. There is a part where her and some other girls talks about sex in graphic detail though.

She's my waifu as well so that part was hard to watch

>I literally said I didn't want it in my first post
My bad, I completely skipped over that part.
>Maybe one day you'll learn creativity, and that just because something has similar subject matter does not mean it's the same story.
Why be so rude to me? I mean, you're right, but I just get really paranoid when it comes to that sort of thing. Similar ideas, I mean.
And you're really good at coming up with ideas, why is it that you don't want to develop any of them? And how do I become more like you?

Perhaps I should feel angry, but I feel a kinship to you, user. Is the movie worth watching? I actually haven't seen a lot of her films.
I want to respond to your script and help, but I'm not really sure what's going on in the scene.

Kids is a pretty decent movie, but my favorite from Clark is Bully.

Oh and that was probably a bad scene to post because it lacks context.

But basically what's happening is that guy is threatening to report his stepson to the police for his vandalism and assault on another kid which left him in a coma. There will be no charges if he fights one of the coma kid's friends. Here he's just threatening prison rape.

I didn't even notice the "niggers" bit at first, is that really necessary? Part of me feel like it's both funny and realistic, but I'm bothered by it too. If you don't care about critics (and I'm assuming you don't because of Larry Clark's RT scores) then just keep it in. What does "if you settled this one of his conscious buddies" mean? Is there a typo there?

Lastly, what the fuck is this movie about? It sounds pretty wild.

> What does "if you settled this one of his conscious buddies" mean? Is there a typo there?

One of his stepson's friends put someone in a coma and is being forced to fight one of the coma guy's friends who isn't in a coma and is perfectly healthy.

It's about a group of high school kids who want to stage a hostage situation.

Well it sounds interesting, and I wish you good luck. The line still doesn't sound correct to me though.

Yeah there's probably a better way to write it.

And thanks, I hope to one day have this come to life and for one of us Sup Forums users to scroll past it on Amazon Prime and say "Eh, sounds cool." and add it to your watchlist

I hope you get it on Netflix, user, fuck Amazon.

Both preferably. If one of you guys adds it to your watch list then I'll know I've succeeded.

And I'm black so I hope I can use some kind of affirmative action/minority diversity stuff to get my stuff looked at by old dudes in suits.

Wait, my dude, you're black too and yet you still threw in the "nigger" line, why? And if your movie doesn't end up on Netflix, I'll try my best to download it. You have a title in mind?
Is Pluto Nash worth watching for the Rosario Dawson body expansion scene? I need to be more dedicated to my waifu.

>25/4
/fmg/ is going to permanently kill /swg/, isn't it?

I threw it in there because it's in character with the stepdad. He's an asshole.

The title I'm leaning towards is Absence.

I've never seen Pluto Nash

I agree here, I read that line like 3 times and had no idea what it meant. Maybe reword it, its the most important part of the dialogue because its laying out what he has to do in order to not get reported.

I'll try to look out for it then, will you be updating these threads with information? Probably not seeing as how Sup Forums is a hellhole and you don't want your identity tied here.
>I've never seen Pluto Nash
We should probably both avoid it then.

Hopefully.

vimeo.com/180599537

"I don't want no chain, I don't need no chain."
The relationship between a man, his environment and the memories that inhabit it.
Meanwhile, another man searches for his definition of cinema.

Hard Yakka is both a companion piece and spiritual prologue to my upcoming feature film Contemporary Movement.

This is a 100% boring.

>babby's first slow cinema

Being a douchebag isn't going to help you.

just memeing bud :^)

it's pretty obvious that we both come from different disciplines of filmmaking, which is fine. sensibilities are different...

any thoughts on the film other than "boring" tho? that's an incredibly lazy way to dismiss something, particularly when you didn't even watch it all lel

>particularly when you didn't even watch it all lel
You right. What if I said the visuals are uninteresting? Because they are.

what if that was the intention?

Then you a wild ass nigga, but I wish you the best.

Can we talk gear? What's the best camera to get on a budget?

I was going to go with the Sony or Xiaomi Yi Action Cam, until I realized Action Cams look like shit.

Depends what you want to film and what you need your camera to do.

Go Pro if youre doing action stuff. Theres not really many other choices if you need water-prooding etc. waterproof cases for DSLRs cost more than the cameras.

DSLR/Mirrorless if you're doing 'normal' stuff - theyre a good all rounder and can develop as you do with different lenses, tripods, gimbles etc. Theyre probably the most popular choice for people starting to make their own stuff.

Point and click if you want something lightweight and portable (like vlogging) but you sacrifice some quality for its small size.

Camcorder if youre not interested in taking any stills.

Yi Action actually has decent footage for such a cheap camera, it's just that you don't know what you're capturing unless you pay out extra for a external screen.

Canon 700d, Nikon D3300, might be okay. Or something used. You can find pretty good deals.

>Yi Action actually has decent footage
It has that shitty fisheye look.
>Canon 700d
> Nikon D3300
You realize I said "on a budget", right?

So nothing specific? I'm trying to shoot "normal" stuff, a feature.

Well your choice will be specific to whatever your needs are. If your film is about a guy stuck floating in the ocean, get a go-pro; if its 2 guys talking in a bar, get a DSLR.

These are good suggestions of good entry-level DSLRs so if theyre out of your budget just save up more or find something to rent.

Those are the budget cameras.

Maybe just film it on your cellphone?

Remember that if you get a DSLR youll need a few extra bits and pieces (like a quality microphone, which will be another $250+)

Those are the cheapest, decent budget cameras I've found man. It doesn't take much to save up a few extra hundred, and it's worth it for something actually usable.

Anything less and you may as well be using a cellphone.

>Those are the budget cameras.
>Remember that if you get a DSLR youll need a few extra bits and pieces (like a quality microphone, which will be another $250+)
I have no money.

You should get your life together then first, buddy, before you go trying to make zero dollar films. Really no excuse there.

Your expectations are just too high. As a minimum benchmark for "proper" stuff its probably going to cost you about $1000, for a DSLR with a kit lens, mic, tripod, bag, SD card etc.

With no money just use your cellphone. Because the quality of them now pretty good, at least on par with what you will shoot on a cheap point and click for the same price.

youtube.com/watch?v=nLSUrTxquyE

Heres a good video on the quality:cost ratio of equipment.

If you're planning on making a feature, first thing you should have is a decent, coherent, script before you worry about anything else.

Guess I should kill myself right

Of course not man. The reason I suggesf writing a scripr for whatever you want ro shoot first is because it'll, more than likely be the cheapest thing to do for your production.

I'm in the same boat as you, unemployed even. The only thing I can really do is outline and write drafts and whatnot, so that's what I do until I can actually film things.

kek

don't take it personally, you just arent going to get dslr video/audio quality on a $50 chinese action camera.

Buy a Galaxy S3? They can shoot full HD and it might even support an external microphone - They probably go for dirt cheap second hand.

>unemployed even
Me too.
>The only thing I can really do is outline and write drafts and whatnot, so that's what I do until I can actually film things.
It's just a shitty Shakespeare adaptation. I'm changing the language and a few other things, but it's just Hamlet. Is anyone even going to be interested? No one's going to be interested. I just don't have interesting enough ideas, I'm not going to make it.

>Buy a Galaxy S3? They can shoot full HD and it might even support an external microphone - They probably go for dirt cheap second hand.
Thanks for the advice, there's some on ebay for like 42 dollars.

Hey guys, my external harddrive just died yesterday and I move around a lot so I tend to edit straight from the drive. Is there any suggestion on which one I should pick up for speed and reliability?

>Is there any suggestion on which one I should pick up for speed and reliability?
Whichever is the cheapest.

What size requirements?
A huge USB stick would probably be most reliable, but if you need 1 or 2tb then I'd go with western digital and avoid Seagate

Only anecdotal but I worked in a tech store for years and Seagates we sold always seemed to shit the bed. Western digital never seemed to fail apart from the people who obviously just dropped them.

I wanna show you guys the script for the short film that I'm gonna be shooting next year. It's currently on its second draft, and I'm going to start the 3rd on Monday (taking a weekend break). But, I think I might wait until I have some of the poster art work mocked up, because I hate coming into these threads and bombarding them with the same scripts.

Post it.

I used to be so happy to finish a first draft. Now I just feel terrible thinking about how awful they are every time I come to the end and what I wish I had done differently.

Anyone else feel like that?

It's a first draft, go back and change the bits you don't like.

Or try writing the several versions of the same thing and then select the bits you like.

Is there a certain snack y'all eat that helps you make progress? I have a sudden urge for Goldfish.

The shitty mic capturing wind noise is a nice touch imo, it complements the visuals because those are pretty shit too.

>it's the self-loathing Shakespeare guy again

You never give up do you? You expect us to give you answers while you make zero effort to change anything in your life. You're constantly telling us you'll never do it as if someone actually cares about a dude who has no real interest in anything and just wants attention for his own lack of motivation.
You obviously have no interest in going forward with any of that because you refuse to learn what people tell you, so why do insist on spamming these threads? Honest question.

Nowadays I don't because the first draft is actually one of the last things I do. Whenever I start writing the first draft I've already spent so much time and effort assembling the scenes it's really not hard to make it almost right the first time. My second draft usually consists of typo-hunting and tidying up descriptions, and I usually stop there.