Why was Fox Futurama so goddamn GOAT, while post-cancellation Comedy Central Futurama was such a garbage fire...

Why was Fox Futurama so goddamn GOAT, while post-cancellation Comedy Central Futurama was such a garbage fire? They used basically all the same writers/actors.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rfR3wnb3Cjc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Prime example of what happens when a creative team is given too much power and control. FOX had a lot of stipulations and the budget was less than what CC paid. Desperation often breeds innovation. In the FOX days, the team was forced to work harder.

the world became more reddit

I think the series has always been hit or miss.

Sometimes the writers nail the dialogue or just the story/scenes in general and it's hilarious.

Other times it's cringey as fuck, and it shows that a nerd/autist is behind development and I almost feel embarrassed to watch it.

The series has been pretty consistent in that it has never been consistent.

It became too self-aware.

That's actually pretty fair. It is one of those shows wherein you can really tell there are multiple writers on staff, many of whom don't mesh well with the material.

You hit the nail on the head about how i feel about this show.

There was next to no bad episodes in the original run and it was genius writing.

When they brought it back it was garbage.

Reading this I think you're right. But I think perhaps the original run was written for normal people/general viewers and had to be clever to make them interested in a scifi cartoon world setting.

In contrast the new ones are written for futurama fans, and ironically this makes them worse. They recycle old jokes and characters become charactertures of themselves. The plots and show itself are uninteresting to normal people who are don't know the lore of the show.

And without that one foot in reality, the show is even trash to fans who aren't autists like you and me.

I really don't want to say reddit humor but it's basically reddit humor.

It's far easier to just make topical jokes and meme-bait than it is to come up with original and creative episodes and using those as a vessel for situational humor.

It went from a semi conservative team to a full SJW team. They kept making stories about feminisim and made Bender fuck humans when it made no sense for him. I gave up on the show when they returned to the space bees and the queen was now a sassy black woman. The episode was torture up to then, but that moment made me quit the show forever.

>character is a sassy black woman

Is this meant to be funny? why do they keep doing this?

Is it a TV and Film industry meme? it's bad but they place it in to laugh at us for all being tired of it since the 90's?

there's this thing called "jumping the shark" maybe you've heard of it.

Because they had come to terms with it ending when they ended it the first time, and when they got a second shot the spark was gone.

I like the final episode though.

It happens to shows all the time when they get brought back after cancellation. The writing staff gathers together, asks themselves "What made this show so popular?", boils it down to a few things, and then tries to recapture magic that's been gone for years by leaning on the most characteristic traits of the old show. It's a sort of Flanderization.

Same thing happened with Family Guy. When they brought it back, it stopped being a parody of 70s and 80s sitcoms and instead became "Cutaway Gags: The Show"

>Reading this I think you're right. But I think perhaps the original run was written for normal people/general viewers and had to be clever to make them interested in a scifi cartoon world setting.
I think you nailed it there. The show became way too self-referential toward the end. It used to have a nice balance between nerdy math/scince/pop culture in-jokes and general sitcom charm, and the scales ended up tipping way too far towards the former by the end.

>Same thing happened with Family Guy.
This is probably the best example of that sort of thing. Family Guy was interesting in that it was okay, then cancelled, then really good, then complete garbage. I don't think I've ever seen such a dramatic transition before.

Nope, this attempted-patrish nerd meme never happened, the show was never a parody of old sitcoms, it always had cutaway gags, the main difference between pre and post cancellation episodes is better drawing. Oh, and getting less tentative and therefore funnier.

A statement from an exec when the show came back made it clear that Futurama was revived in order to rejuvenate the brand and boost DVD sales, not in order to make comedy. Just because a network suit makes the decision to cancel you doesn't mean that that decision wasn't artistically sound.

>tentative

Nice. This is my word of the day.

Glad to be of help!

>Don't you wish you were awesome like ME, Bender?

Why was Bender such a insufferable faggot in the comedy central episodes?

I remember putting up with the awful movies and watching the new episodes on CC. That susan boyle episode was so bad I abandoned the show and never looked back.

i refused to watch the new episodes

just like simpsons post bill oakley & josh weinstein
it was a cultural reference, now they get any shitty cultural reference and insert in that goddamn awful yellow animation

this

I've been watching all futurama and now I've got to season seven and I'm posting on Sup Forums instead of watching, it's not that bad but I'm kinda bored.

LE SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY XD

Instead of focussing on the main characters of Fry, Bender and Leela they tried to put the focus on other characters which made the show seem messy and all over the place. The show was still funny but it was a shell of its former self.

>seven?

i thought it was only six
they fucked up really bad

It's not any of these reasons, it's just because the show kept going, when a show starts the writers know what they want to do, as it goes on they just have to keep writing even if they don't have any ideas so they end up trying to recreate what they've already done or else replicate other shows, or they just jump the shark

only episodes that are actually pretty solid are the one where they time travel to the end of the universe and when the cats take over the world. other than that the rest is shit its like they forgot what make the show good in the first place

Plus they stopped using the Amy falls over joke and used too many crappy bender raps

Nah the cat one is shit

youtu.be/rfR3wnb3Cjc

Real kino

Post cancellation had
>LET'S GO ALREADAYYY

it became less consistent, but a lot of post cancellation episodes were great

I don't get all the hate

And man child by the eels

GOLD MOMENT

Honestly post cancellation wasn't so bad, it's just the film that were atrocious

WE WUZ FUGGIN BEES N SHEEEIT YO!

Yeah, mostly this.
Had Futurama been serialized like say Rick and Morty by having the writers work together instead of just pitching episodes like they did on The Simpsons, we could have gotten a much more structured and, most importantly, consistent show.

Writers past their creative peaks was what I always assumed.

I guess if I had to guess further, I'd say that you have to really love popular culture to contribute to it, and it's hard to love pop culture every year of your life, because it's always changing.

Too much effort put into making emotional moments like Leela's parents' musical montage or the dog dying montage. Oh what a coincidence, Hermes raised Bender. My heart strings are tugged for the win.

bender's big score was good

rick and morty is really disappointing as a serialized series though, there's literally no character growth at all. Jerry and Beth work out the problems in their marriage like 8 times. Morty is jaded and world weary in some episodes then freaks out at nothing in others.

Does anyone remember that episode where there was a shape shifting monster that was really a trust building exercise? Cos I sure didn't until i watched it just now.

It's only two seasons in and there been enough character building in the short term IMO

Fox had some creative control over the series and would generally tell the writers to fuck off with their bad ideas, while Comedy Central let them do whatever.

Wrong.
The fox seasons were just as good as classic simpsons. The seasons afterward were shit.

Cool to see a thread about a view I've held for years and years but never looked into. I loved the first run but then watched the DVDs. The horror.

Only 2 seasons._._._.

well said

I stopped watching when I got to the movies. Where are the jokes? They get way too heavy, it's all about relationships and people dying and stuff. What the fuck happened there?

the saddest thing for me when it comes to Futurama is that originally the show had a brilliant, almost perfect ending.

The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings is fantastic. Full of top tier humour, the love story is tied up and its a great closer.

But they insisted on bringing it back from the dead full on Frankenstein style.

seems that the new episodes turn into one of them becoming a mutant of some sort.

t. reddit