What happened to the action heroes Sup Forums?

What happened to the action heroes Sup Forums?

too problematic

this famalam
masculinity is frowned upon today

replaced by faggots in spandex

They're still around.

Capn America and Thor are pretty buff.

They died with Die Hard.

Don't get me wrong. Die Hard is a God tier movie, but ever notice that after Die Hard, every action movie hero had to be an everyman that was just as vulnerable as everyone else?

Reddit happened

Thankfully they died out, their toxic masculinity was very problematic and a wholly CIS-biased representation of males in general. Society just doesn't need that.

Yeah, the Terminator and Neo are totally everymen.

Terminator was a robot. Neo was in a computer or something. I'm talking about humans, faggot. You really think Neo could have pulled all that shit in the real world?

Not nearly as buff as their 80s counterparts. Besides, this isn't about physique, it's about the style of movies. Capeshit is safe, colorful kiddie shit, it can't be compared to something like Robocop or Predator.

Oh, so we're moving the goal posts now? Okay, what about Rambo or Luc Deveraux. They everymen, too?

Rambo was already an 80's action hero. Sequels to popular movies don't count. There's a reason why Universal Soldier barely made it's budget back, buddy.

Mhm. And what about movies like True Lies, Face Off, or Blade? What will be your excues here?

True Lies was like the "modern" action movie that blended the everyman and unkillable badass pretty well.
Face Off? An 80's tier action movie? You're a fucking retard.
Blade is capeshit.

I don't have excuses. You just have shit examples. I know a lot of popular action movies that came out after Die Hard that were reminiscent of 80's action movies, but you have yet to name one. That's your argument though, so I'll wait until you actually name one.

>True Lies was like the "modern" action movie that blended the everyman and unkillable badass pretty well.

Tasker was anything but an "everyman"

>True Lies was like the "modern" action movie that blended the everyman and unkillable badass pretty well.
Spies are everymen? Lmao fuck off.
>Face Off? An 80's tier action movie?
Not even trying anymore, I see.
>Blade is capeshit.
No. It was so different from the comics that they changed them to fit the movie.

>Capeshitters argue about their shitty corporate brand wars being "kino"
>None of them have been able to top the magnificence of an Arnie movie

Requesting some kind user to make Commando webms.

Which is why I said he was a blend of an everyman and an unkillable badass. You're a fucking idiot if you try to tell me that he wasn't even a little like an everyman.

Reading comprehension: it's not for everyone.

He lives his life like an everyman and has real life home troubles. Kill yourself, you fucking mongoloid.
An action movie =/= an 80's action movie. Face Off is not an 80's action movie in the slightest.
Blade was dark capeshit. Get over yourself.

No

Nice argument.
Almost as good as this retard

>He lives his life like an everyman
That is literally what spies do, retard.
>Blade was dark capeshit
Compare it with any other capeshit. It has nothing in common with them.
>An action movie =/= an 80's action movie
Okay, fine. Explain Demolition Man, The Last Boyscout and Total Recall then.

>makes a stupid generalization about a whole genre of movies
>gets proven wrong
>calls someone else a retard

butthurt or baiting?

>>>>>>with real life home troubles
I've never seen a spy movie before that have that. Again, Reading comprehension: it's not for everyone.
>Demolition Man, The Last Boy Scout and Total Recall
Hey! You finally named a few! Took you long enough.

>Neo was in a computer or something.

If you're going to make an argument and stick to it, at least do some fucking research.

>gets proven wrong
>with a "no"
That's not how it works, faggot. Read the thread. You are not only wrong, but you are also stupid.

Dredd > Commando

Lmao no.

>Hey! You finally named a few! Took you long enough.

The other examples aren't wrong either. You complained about every movie after Die Hard having the hero be an everyman

The user posted two films where the hero is a cyborg and the other is a Digital God.

I'm not wrong because I never noticed because it doesn't exist. Examples have been posted already proving otherwise.

I also wouldn't call John McClane an everyman. He's an exceptional officer even before the events of Die Hard.

I'm sure none of us here are detectives.

If McClane having a family outside of his over the top bullshit makes him an everyman, then Matrix is also an everyman, and that shit predates Die Hard.

McClane was an everyman in the first movie, but in the sequels he get progressively more heroic. I mean, in the first one he saves one building, in the second an airport, in the third a city, in the forth the entire USA, and the entire Russian Federation in the last one.

They got superpowers.

You think with these additions that they'd at least be able to have decent fight/action scenes

The formula was getting stale.

Yet when it's used again today it works perfectly.

Collectively society became a bunch of Slack jawed Faggots

No one was around to take the reigns

The Rock looked like he was going to be the next Arnie, but he just fell off shortly after The Rundown thanks to picking a bunch of crap roles.

And outside of The Rock, who else was there?

Taken is one that harks back to the everyman set up, and a lot of other cheesy nineties movies, but Taken was kind of on the money, but even more of an everyman than your 80's muscleheads lol

The Rock is not, in any way, the kind of screen presence that Arnie is

I like him, and he does have charisma, but there's no real comparison

>Terminator
>True Lies
>Double Impact
>Last Action Hero
>Matrix
None of these features an "everyman". You could argue True Lies does but he's actually an elite spy.

Politics changed.

Vigilantes are now bad, because of terrorism. Instead you get state sponsored superheroes and the military and there's a focus on teamwork and doing your duty for the greater good.

Let's be real here user

No one will ever be Arnie. It just not possible.

I should have clarified that The Rock would be next best thing rather than an outright replacement.

While I agree with your argument, that not every action movie starts with an everyman,

Terminator came out before.
You already argued for true lives.
Double impact? You couldn't find some better examples?
The Last Action Hero is a comedy, and the main character is a kid, who's pretty everyman.
And Neo arguably is an everyman, except for the fact that he's a hacker who deals in editing government files for minor shit like parking tickets.

Pretty much most of arnies work features a sense of a double life. If it doesn't, it at least includes a second arnie in the movie.

I digress; the real problem with action movies these days are that they don't star everyman. They star indisputable badasses and ex-military. When the hell was the last time you watched an everyman overcome a unique situation?

I know this is bait. But I hope you and your entire family die of aids.

they're all women now

>Pretty much most of arnies work features a sense of a double life. If it doesn't, it at least includes a second arnie in the movie.
What? You must be thinking of late Arnold.

Cynicism.

>I digress; the real problem with action movies these days are that they don't star everyman. They star indisputable badasses and ex-military.

This thread started with an image of an indisputable ex-military bad ass.

This everyman shit is completely off topic and I honestly don't see how it hold relevance at all to the topic. Especially if the argument is that Die Hard is what killed the genre, when the genre was alive and well years after its release and the Die Hard movies got more absurd in stakes as time went on.

>red heat
>predator
>commando
>end of days
>the last stand
>escape
>jingle all he way
>twins

>double life

Lmao. Kys

Exceptions. For the most part, Die Hard really did change the game.

So far everyone has listed action movies that goes against the theory.

Start listing movies that support yours

yea i read that imdb trivia page too smartacus

Nah, it'a much easier to make everything in CGI.

Scott Adkins is pretty legit and his movies arent utther shit.

>Taken
>movie about an ex-black ops operative
>everyman

Do you even know what that word means?

They had less-buff action heroes back then too, user. In fact, I don't get the problem since this kind of buff looks way better.

>point break: FBI agent.
>the last boy scout: NFL player and secret service agent turned private detective
>Patriot games: Jack fucking ryan.
>speed: a cop.
>Golden eye: 00fucking7
>Mission impossible: not!00fucking7
>The Rock: PHD chemist and an SAS winner that fucks the prom queen
>Fifth Element: Ex-secret service agent turned newyork taxi driver and a woman of genetic perfrection.
>The professional: Simple hitman.
>Lethal Weapon: Three days to retirement and ex-special forces cop.
>hard boiled: Hitman and psychopathic hong kong detective

It's not that every action movie had to have a vulnerable everyman. The only real action movies that frequently fit that description are jackie-chans. And he does it better than bruce ever could. Action heroes died because actors got old and the hollywood system changed.

I don't disagree with you that the quality of action movies dies in the 90's. But your argument just doesn't hold.

Now if you changed your argument to say that: 'action heroes now require feeling and emotion', that's not really killing the action star. (Die Hard isn't exactly the first action film to show a vulnerable character) Jason Statham, Nicholas cage, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, bruce willis, all kept making movies playing themselves. Stallone even still made Rambo in possibly the most sociopathic rendition of him yet. JCVD never stopped making action movies period. And wasn't until 2000 that him trying to act and add character that he started portraying characters that weren't wooden.

All the sudden action stars are expected to act, rather than run on charisma, well written puns and feats of strength. Alot of actors make the transition to Action Star. Even Martial Artists are expected to Act a little.

The real question user, is why is it for every Dredd, John Wick, The Guest, fury road, Crank and Kill Bill; Studios still hire old action stars, directors and writers, giving them no time or budget, to make quality action movies that we deserve?

Well, then you're just pleb who doesn't understand true aesthetics.

what I like has nothing to do with the fact that they already had not-super-buff guys back in the days so the argument is invalid.

They are called Marvel Superheroes now

Jason Statham has a shitty action movie in theaters literally right now.

>action movie
>no guns

fucking nope

Yeah, but not really. The biggest names (Arnie, Sly, JCVD, Dolph) were jacked. Only Bruce Willis looked average, but played into the everyman persona that made Die Hard so good and skyrocketed his career.

In fairness they really aren't that far off. Evans and Hemsworth especially look great. Much stronger looking than anyone but Arnold but that's gotta be fucking obvious.

Arnie's weight fluctuates alot anyway no other actor is a patch on Conan Arnold but even by Commando he's a lot smaller.

capeshit doesn't count. if your action is 90% CGI then you can't call it an action movie.

No, just no. Nobody except Hemsworth even comes close to guys like prime Stallone or Dolph. Hell, except for the First Avenger, Evans looks like a curlbro. Zero back, delts or traps. Obviously doesn't lift legs at all.

And it's not just size, these guys haven't the same amount of vascularity or low bf%.

The Matrix happened.

No, the Matrix was an R-rated action movie with interesting ideas and an original plot (inb4 it ripped off GitS). That's nothing like the shitty, kid-friendly, by the numbers capeshit.

could rocky realistically have ever defeated drago? he is so much bigger and stronger i see no way

John Wick and Dredd were both pretty good famalam.

Well, Rocky has superhuman toughness. Remember that Drago's punches were rated at 2150 PSI, and that Rocky ate them for 10 rounds straight. That's physically impossible for a human being.

Rambo IV, too. But maybe it doesn't count because Sly made it.

well he did plough snow and do a bunch of crunches in a barn for like 2 weeks

you have a point but how about pic related, Chuck Norris, Kurt Russell, Steven Seagal, Mel Gibson?

toxic masculinity is problematic and on the wrong side of history

They destroyed the entire genre by becoming parodies of themselves.

>Chuck Norris
What are you talking about, Chuck was fit. He's a several time karate world champion.
>Kurt Russell
>Mel Gibson
Legitimate actors, not just action stars. Mel, especially.
>Steven Seagal
Z-lister. At least he was tall and had his bullshit MA.

Forgot to add pic of Chuck. He wasn't huge, but he didn't need to be since he was a martial artist.

People will say SJWs or the feminzation of men in modern society or whatever, but it's not that -It's that every movie has to be funny nowadays. One liners don't cut it any more, there needs to be quips and jokes. So for that they need an actor with comedic chops as well as being an action hero.

So that leads to action movies with Chris Pratt and Channing Tatum instead of guys like the classic action heroes of the 80's

Have you never seen Twins or Kindergarden Cop? Arnold shits all over these guys as far as comedic talent goes. Classic action movies had plenty of humor.

go back to plebbit, kid

>What are you talking about, Chuck was fit. He's a several time karate world champion.
but he's not extremely buff
>Legitimate actors, not just action stars. Mel, especially.
what kind of excuse is this anyways? So are the ones you mentioned
>Z-lister. At least he was tall and had his bullshit MA.
He still counts as an action hero
>Bruce Willis is an exception
he still counts

eh this discussion is over, it's not gonna matter what I say since you'll just call all of them exceptions anyways.

You grew up and they got old.

The main problem is that there aren't decent action movie directors in Hollywood.
The best action flick director we have is fucking Nolan, and after him there are only hacks like JJ Abrams and Joe Sweden.

that ain't buff at all

>Too late to discover continents and unknown tribes
>Too soon to explore space and colonize new planets.
>Just in time to see your own race commit massive suicide cuz of mentally ill people pushing their agenda upon everyone else.

Feels... Weird man.

pg13

that was exactly my point
plz learn3read

Not true. Arnold's and Sylvester Stallone careers went well into the '90s. So did JCVD, Steven Seagals and all the other fags.

*Hell, Bruce Willis was only really the vulnerable 'every man' caught up in a bad situation in the first Die Hard. After that even in his own sequels he was pretty much an untouchable superman like typical action movie fair.

its funny that Hollywood wont do movies what are easy to write and people would pay money to see some original movies just because it might offend some fat cunts. well, remakes and re-releases and reboots are fun, too right mr. Goldstein.

Now you political fucks that would dare undermine scoptical enlightenment with misguided, regressive notions of "repressed" homosexuality fueling Arny-idealization... Let me reassure you, Arny is an asexual entity. If he has sex organs or any kind of sexual relations it does not concern us neither conciously nor subconciously. Your theories are wrong, and a waste of our time.

>since this kind of buff looks better
that's no kind of buff, that's no buff at all
learn to express yourself in the english language kiddo

the Zeitgeist is gone

>could rocky realistically have ever defeated drago?
Dolph Lundgren almost killed Stallone during filming, so I'd say no.

I never seen a 2000s single dad movie

A threat to complete studio takeover of the industry and a rebirth of the authoritarian Golden Age of Hollywood

Simple - there will never be another Arnold. The entire genre was built and held up by him and he can't do it anymore so the genre is dead.