Can we all agree that The Phantom Menace was the best of the Prequel films?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YdgmH9Vv2-I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You and me, yes. The rest of these plebs, no.

As bad as the prequels are, I agree.

It was a space adventure about wizards with some politics, just like A New Hope, just no where near as good. AoTC and RoTS were messes that didn't know if they wanted to be adventures, war movies, romances or anything really.

ROTS has more Sheev so it is automatically superior.

I've seen the trilogy and TFA, should I watch the prequels?

That ship...
>What if we took an SR-71 and made it, like, silver?
>Are you sure that's enough, George?
>Move the cockpit all the way to the back and make it an ugly and bulbous.
>Poetry!

Phantom Menace had a big clusterfuck of scenes at the end including a war, if you remember

Just to get the full experience? Do it.

You may love it or hate it. There is no inbetween.

sure

make your own opinion on them

find out how much they suck on your own

Of course.

The first part I am talking about.

AoTC had the same kinda feeling before it got to Kamino. RoTS was the height of the Clone Wars so it was that start to finish.

It isn't until they return to Naboo that the clusterfuck happened in TPM

I guess so. The Tatooine section of TPM, while it has its moments, is drawn out as fuck though. I always forget how long they are on that bloody planet. I almost prefer the CGI clusterfuck.

>the 30 opening minutes is about trade deals and macchinations

Episode I, not even once.

so qui gon fucked shmi right?

It had cool visual concepts. The ships and droids were sweet, and the idea of a dual lightsaber was cool. But unfortunately movies aren't solely judged by visuals.

I probably enjoy I better than the other two. But the shitquels were all pretty awful, the good does not outweigh the bad. Though I probably comes the closest.
Take out Jarjar, and Anakin, and its a decent movie.

I think it is counteracted by the fact that it showed off the Droideka, the best thing to come out of the prequels. Well, next to sheev posting.

Over the past couple of years it's surpassed Episode II as far as how well the visuals are holding up, in a couple more years it's going to pass Episode III. CGI ages like milk and Episode I for all the shit it gets has the most miniature work of any Star Wars movie and it really shows when you go back and look at it. It feels like a crisp 90's movie that just happens to unfortunately have a god awful script and a terrible orange CGI character. Fucking watto is still impressive looking.

Well, the jedi were keepers of peace and justice, settling disputes was part of their job.

Ehh, episode 3 for me.
Sure Phantom Menace has practical effects and that's cool,
but when I watched it when I was younger it was the one to make me go "What the fuck is this? This isn't Star Wars" the most. Largely due to the two headed cartoon race announcer and The Force being a fucking germ. Even younger me got the fucked upedness of that.

Yeah.

>most exploring new world
>podracing
>underwater world
>naboo
>cool jedi fights, that where quicker and fuller than the old ones but still within normal bounds. No retarded shit like a robot with 4 sabers etc.

>conveniently omitting Jar-Jar Binks.

No, just don't.

It almost makes me sad I grew up thinking the prequels were the original Star Wars movies

The designs are the best things to come out of the prequels, to be fair.

>still within normal bounds
>all those spins
>Obi-Wan jumping 20ft from platform to platform
I fucking love that fight but don't pretend it was particularly realistic.

kek i remember as a kid i couldn't get my brain around how the timeline worked

i legit thought episode 1 was a sequel or something.

I'm with you pal.

3 has some fun memes but it's ultimately fucking terrible

It's the space battle that really makes it feel like a clusterfuck, especially the fact the half of it anakin isn't even flying the damn ship. Also it comes out of nowhere where as ANH had quite a bit of build up

Why did this ship look so different from literally every other ship in Star Wars?

Yes my man!

I like to think that Episode 1 is the most redeemable prequel because of how much bad you can actually remove out of the film, but still have it make sense. You can't really do that with the other films. Which means.
>no Jar-Jar shenanigans involving space cow farts, etc
>less young Anakin nonsense ("are you an angel?")

Definitive version when?

It had the right balance of flashy with realistic. It's very much half way between the originals and fight in 2/3

Fan edits user.

Fan edits are your friend.

George probably rolled back on a lot of things after Phantom Menaces initial feedback.

Attack of the Clones is technically the best because it featured the only redeeming thing in the prequel trilogy, Natalie Portmsn's bare abdomen.

>best of prequels
>not revenge of the Sith

Everyone knows it goes III>I>II. Step yo game up.

this is objectively correct.

Episode I's problems are numerous but it's the most redeemable film. All you have to do is make the movie about anakin (a teenager) and obi-wan (a brand new jedi knight) discovering each other and foiling some plot. You can keep most of the elements intact. If Anakin is the only human that can podrace his age isn't important in making that feat seem impressive. You could easily have him be a much more likable and competent character that becomes fast friends with a young, inexperienced, but very talented obi-wan and have that real brother-brother "good friend" relationship that was always mentioned but never once seen.

ROTS was actually the end of the peak of war. Stuff that happened between 2 and 3 is what made Obi-Wan and Anakin, especially the latter, such respected war heroes. The movie doesn't really explain that so you don't really get how bad Anakin falls from grave but the war was dying out by then.

Does anyone find the first appearance of Darth Maul boring and unimaginitive?

I mean the Sith are believed to be extinct for a thousand fucking years (Sheev says generations but that's just George fucking it up) and George decides that the first appearance of a Sith is on some buttfuck desert on a speeder jumping around. I think the majority of the audience doesn't even think that was a big deal because it wasn't presented that way, it was like Qui Gon encounters a red devil with a red lightsaber every other week

It's fucking Star Wars. you can literally do anything you imagine. For example look at this Old Republic trailer, the suicide entrance of the Sith is showing you already how deranged and chaotic they are alone (nevermind the rest of the trailer, future Halo Matrix mishmash) :
youtube.com/watch?v=YdgmH9Vv2-I

I know in TPM there is the rule of two, but nevertheless there are a million more presentable and creative ways that could've been done

ROTS was actually the end of the peak of war. Stuff that happened between 2 and 3 is what made Obi-Wan and Anakin, especially the latter, such respected war heroes. The movie doesn't really explain that so you don't really get how bad Anakin falls from grave but the war was dying out by then.

The edits make it eminently watchable once you minimise the scenes with jar jar and that fucking sixth sense kid to only plot specific.

No anakin, spinning isn't a good trick. Fuck off.

I could've done without all the convoluted midichlorian explanation and Anakin's mom and/or Anakin but rest was ok in my book. The whole sequence leading up to them going to Tattooine was bretty gud. Tattooine kinda kills the pacing but you need a breather at that point. Then Anakin is introduced, then pod racing. Episode I was a busy movie man. Clone wars had that god-awful "I feed you pears with force; then we talk about our feelings" shit that entirely killed it for me. I remember being 15 and still thinking "this shit's kinda bad".

The only good part in AotC was that final "I love you from Padme" right when they're about to get executed, setting the scene for the war that's coming at the end of the movie after the gladiator shit.

>Lying alone in a parked jeep, in the middle of winter, at night
>Nowhere to go
>Nothing to do

>Spend the hours, waiting for cops to knock on the windows re-writing the prequels to be completely different movies

>Lose cellphone with screenplays in a car accident, a few months later

Man... life is weird.

Reminder that a movie isn't good because "if you remove large chunks of it, it becomes watchable"

I would agree that the real threat of the sith is never truly explained. Most of the time you could easily sit there and be like "so what?".

Just because he kills some tuskan raiders and kids doesn't indicate to me the historical context of what the sith actually are. Imagine if instead of hiding out on naboo in the second film they end up on korriban, where anakin follows clues given to him by palpatine.

Qui Gon is noticeably shaken and confused after he meets Maul, though.

He literally comes out of nowhere, just when you seem to have forgotten about him and gives Liam Neelson, a decorated Jedi knight who refuses to be on the senate because of what a badass he is a literal run for his money. The scene ends with Qui-Gon going "fuck he almost had me"

Read the book of episode one. It describes qui-gon's internal thoughts way better and you can tell he's just pushing himself to the limit, preserving strength and trying to keep up everytime he duels with Maul.

You're confusing Qui Gon with the audience

Admittedly, Anakin's "I'm talking to R2" shit was cringe-worthy.

Sith is vastly superior and is at least jedi-tier as an episode of the series.

Menace is a watchable movie, the only problem with it is the disgusting alien characters. Plot and acting are just fine for SW.

im looking for a t-14 hyperdrive generator

That kid ruins everything he was in. His mom was probably sycking ducks to get by or something.

Wait, he was in other things?

Also apparently he was bullied a lot by kids for being Anakin

Nah, he's right. Everytime they fight, Qui-gon's pushing himself to the limit while trying to sustain his energy because he knows there is no fast dueling with this guy. He's younger, faster, stronger and his Sith beliefs make him more dangerous than any other Jedi. So you fight him till he fucks up and you make every mistake he makes count.

Also his whole light saber duel style is suppose to be very unorthodox and difficult to adapt to for traditional Jedis. He constantly uses kicks to keep his opponents back and when he opens up, it's only because he wants you to get closer so he can fuck your shit up.

Maul was objectively one of the best fighters in the galaxy. Sheev discovering Anakin only almost makes up for losing him as an ally. He was pretty bummed out when he died.

Why do they have way better technology in the prequels?

>He expects lightsaber fights to between jedi to be realistic

Ignore the filename, but I do think ROTS is much better than people give it credit for.
People like to focus on the negative, but there the strength of this movie is that it doesn't break tone hardly ever. It just keeps spiraling down to it's almost hopeless finale.

It's an interesting film that gets overlooked because it's Star Wars.

It's to illustrate the decadence of the dying republic.

Actually george gave them some vague concepts he wanted them to incorporate in to the design and the team made the early prototype out of an SR-71 model kit.

Listen, we can discuss this shit all we want and we most certainly will but let's not argue about colors while calling them opinions.

>episode 1
>cool politics trade federation
>dual of fates
>"Now this is podracing!"

>episode 2
>creepy anakin
>cringe-worthy romance
>final battle not enough to save it and shitty yoda fight is shitty

>revenge of the sith
>every possible mashup
>no stupid lightsaber battle between yoda and sheev; it's a battle of force
>dat opening battle
>dat grivious
>dat mentor vs student

Overall, episode 1&3 are the most enjoyable ones: the third one being the better Star Wars movie. But 2 is just bad, man.

Honestly, even as a kid who was having trouble understanding what the fuck was going on and who the fuck padme was, her outfits and palace really sold the whole "fall" thing to me.

Same reason why Phantom Pain has better tech than all the other MGS games combined.

But why did the empire not build more of these rolling droids with the shields?
They were superior to 1000 stormstrooper.

1 was Star Wars, no doubt. A crappier star wars, but still star wars.

2+3 focused more on the "Wars" part and they did well when they did that. It's just when it comes to characters and motivations, that's when shit falls apart.

Prequels=Below average movies but great setting.

See: Clone Wars and any Star Wars video game that uses the prequel setting.

No, because this isn't even true. The least execrable of the three is number three, and they're all pretty god-awful, but three is rescued somewhat by the darkness of its subject matter, which makes it slightly less ridiculous.

Also, simply put, three canonizes the only worthwhile bit of plot from the PT, because it was the interesting bit which had been verbalized in literature about same, and hinted at all throughout the OT: the falling-out between Ben and Anakin, and their fight which disfigures anakin, creating Vader. A screening of the rest proves that we could have done entirely without it. But this amounts to arguing which of three given unpleasant things is the least unpleasant.

You know, even though I love the realistic fight between Vader and Luke where they're really going at it instead of dancing around like in the prequels, the decision to make Jedi duels more fleshed out and choreographed was the better decision because it's more entertaining to watch.

I mean, come on senpai... How can you hate duel of fates. Anakin vs Obi-wan may be a tad too much but it's the final light saber fight Lucas is ever gonna film. Sure he went all out.

>anakin and obi-wan start synchronizing their hits, no one can get the upper hand
>they spin their sabers around to fool the other one, but they still land the exact same hit and block each other
>then they both go full on force, till they push each other to the other side of the room

It was heavy shit. You just know they trained together, they fought together as a team and neither one can gain the upper hand. It comes down to Anakin's youth/speed/force sensitivity/recklessness and Obi-wan'a experience/tricks and his ability to sustain himself throughout a fight, a trick he no doubt picked up from Qui-gon.

Revenge of the Sith was good senpai. :/

Yes

But neither the second nor the third movie really focus on the clone wars. All that shit happens in between.

>read the book to understand the movie
No thank you.

I have no problem with Qui-Gon's reaction but the whole appearance that is presented to the audience. It doesn't sell the Sith, you don't get their importance and what do they represent for the Jedi's.

Imagine if TPM really was the first released SW movie, would you really think that the Sith, who are were to Jedi's basically like nazis to jews, "extinct" for a thousand years? No, it seems like Qui-Gon is encountering just another rogue assasin that is trying to kill him.

Pretty underwhelming in a world with countless creative possibilities.

But the prequels are good.

>Pretty underwhelming in a world with countless creative possibilities.
You're describing TFA.

It gives us glimpses of the greater war.

The thing that makes no sense to me is that the battle at the start of Episode 3 is just above corrusant but no one gives a shit on the surface. WHAT THE FUCK?

>but three is rescued somewhat by the darkness of its subject matter, which makes it slightly less ridiculous

>Chewbacca and Yoda team up

Obi-Wan won because of his high ground

>read the book to better understand the movie

:/ Not what I said at all, senpai. Even in the movie they do a good job of showing how Qui is out of his league and doesn't have the energy to keep up with him in a fight.

Agreed on how the sith aren't represented better as a threat to the republic/Jedi order but that's kinda the general problem with the prequels and a storytelling error on Lucas's part for not setting up his antagonistic elements better.

However, the movie accomplishes in portraying Maul as what he is, a fucking wild card.

And?

It looks cool but it's a rather shit practical design.

There's no room for the droid's legs so they have to rip it's head off and store the legs below. The tail is needlessly long for no reason other than to look cool, and the cockpit is way in the back giving the pilot poor visibility.

>Star Wars
>practical
I bet you enjoy the reviews of Mike Stoklasa.

Agreed. A shot of Coruscant folks running to shelter, seeing the battle in the sky from the surface would be great. Also all those destroyed ship debris would've fell back to the planet considering it looked like the battle was going on in high orbit.

Eh, would've probably took away from the chaos of the space war. It's already a busy 30 minute segment. You don't want people thinking about coruscant or its people, it's just a pretty backdrop for the pretty cgi.

How cool is the opening scene though, damn... Blew me away when I watched it as a teenager(15, I think) and you just know that's how he wanted to kick off ANH but technology just wasn't there yet.

>How cool is the opening scene though, damn... Blew me away when I watched it as a teenager(15, I think) and you just know that's how he wanted to kick off ANH but technology just wasn't there yet.
this
Babbies that whine about CG discount that it took a year to make, and was made with love.

>*pan down*
>drum beat
>hwooo whoo

ROTS has pretty much everything fans were expecting to see in the prequels.

Clone Wars, actual friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan, Fall of the Republic, Rise of the Empire, Jedi Purge, Anakin vs Obi-Wan, Birth of Darth Vader, Birth of the Twins

Reminds me of how Team Ninja is taking over DMC and they show their monster designs to folks at Capcom.

>"So how does he attack with that leg in real time? How does the animation work or does it make sense to attack with that limb?"
>"Oh it doesn't attack with that really; it's just kinda there."

Basic example of design getting in the way of practical logic. Oblivion has crazy cool design but it still makes sense in a practical way. So does edge of tomorrow with the mecha suits.

Because it is so choreographed that it doesn't even resemble a fight, more like a dance or a show. Half of the moves they make are just flashy spectacle that simply aren't efficient in a duel.

There is zero tension in the actual fight that George tries to compensate with the ridiculous world-ending setting around them. It's just like Bay's Transformers action sequences that are a tensionless spectacles of explosions which are interesting for the eyes for 5 seconds and the rest you just wait for the sequence to end.

>Because it is so choreographed that it doesn't even resemble a fight, more like a dance or a show
LITERALLY 2deep4u

Too bad it was wrapped up with other stuff that made the prequels bad.

TPM: Closest to a Star Wars movie
RoTS: Closest to a good movie
AoTC: Closest to shittiest movie George has ever been a part of.

>military drums
>war
>spaceships come into frame, dive over the cruiser
>they flip and dive, you see the entire battle, entirely and perfectly hidden from sight a second before because it's three dimensional space, fuck you. Enemy's gate is down, bitch.

I don't know, man. You guys hate the CG and all but that attention to detail, even when they're on board and fighting Dooku, you can see Republic ships chasing droid ships, other ships dogfighting, ships getting blown up. It was great. There's a reason why revenge of the sith is the best of the prequels and phantom menace is second best because even though it captures the spirit of star wars and it gave us dual of fates, visually it's just not on par.

Revenge also had the best pre-duel dialog as well.

>my powers have doubled since the last time we've met, Count.
>good. Twice the pride, double the fall
>we take him together this time
>I was just about to say that

Also
>you fool!.. I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count dooku.

Also that fight stance Obi does everytime shits going down is priceless. Someone post a screenshot of that please.

Damn right he did

First time I've felt like I was in a roller coaster while in a theatre. No 3D, no imax. Straight up good CG and perfect cinematography. Thank god for IL&M for giving us the prequels.

But it wasn't
It poorly recycled the first mid-1970s drafts an managed the spectacular accomplishment of making them even more meandering and convoluted

You do have a point. All other duels including A&O vs Dooku rematch and O&Q vs Maul have very tasty fights. A vs O was a bit too much.

But i was watching the extras on the DVDs from Revenge. Hayden and Evan going full speed rehearsing that is crazy, they nail it.

>practical designs
>over looking cool
This ain't Chris Nolan's Gotham, homie.

>Twice the pride, double the fall
>good dialogue

yes

Yep, thanks for the image. That's the stance.

Also, if you're looking for good dialog in SW, you're gonna have to dig deep till you hit Beijing. It's good SW dialog, campy but still...

>tfw their flight plan didn't list Shmi

>ROTS
>not beautiful

nice job cherrypicking one of a handful of frames that don't look like a ps2 game

SO MAD

>you are now cherrypicking bad shots