Please help me Sup Forums, I really need to expand my taste, I don't want to be a dad-rock only faggot

Please help me Sup Forums, I really need to expand my taste, I don't want to be a dad-rock only faggot.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

>Pic related it's my top 50.

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/user/mdgilmer/playlist/5baFBB0H26URW7S5Fmt9Nf
youtube.com/watch?v=52ODpVkntZ8
thepiratebay.org/torrent/7387680/Os_Mutantes_FLAC_Discography_9_albums_(REPACKED)
youtube.com/watch?v=2y_9hwW1eV0
youtube.com/watch?v=LVGnTE5N1U8
youtube.com/watch?v=m7obnfrlP0s
youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg
youtube.com/watch?v=tdyBQkBuSjs
youtube.com/watch?v=MaYa1bSCg_A
youtube.com/watch?v=s4XC6dyBWi4
youtube.com/watch?v=X1X0Bejwnko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>black album

More than half of the albums on your list I've listened to when I was 15. Btw, there's nothing wrong with dad rock. Music died in the 70s.

If you don't have pic related on your top 50, i assume you've never listened to this album. Listen to prog rock more, you'll like it.

try listening to math rock

The Stooges - Fun House
The Pretty Things - SF Sorrow
Suicide - Suicide
F.U.T.U.R.OS.C.O.P.E. - Utilisation Non Autorisée
Ex Eye - Ex Eye
Aphex Twin - Richard D James
Cummi Flu/Raz Ohara - Y
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

Listen to Bruce Springsteen

>I don't want to be a dad-rock only faggot

Why? Ignorance is bliss, imo my dadrock days were the best, now after being exposed to so many music, I find I can't enjoy it as much as I can before.

Was listening to that this the past few days actually, I really like 21st century schizoid man but am not sure about the rest.

Oh hey OP i forgot to mention that you REALLY need to check out the Elephant 6 collective that NMH is a part of: Olivia Tremor Control, Of Montreal, Apples in stereo, The Gerbils, etc will all please you immensely

>I don't want to be a dad-rock only faggot.

Dad-rock for me is Krautrock and obscure Prog and psych rock. Suck it nerd.

Cheers man - saved.

>I don't want to be a dad-rock only faggot.

Any paticular suggestions?

None of my mates actually like the dad-rock stuff so it would be cool if I could expand my horizons a bit and actually have some common ground with them.

Is this them? open.spotify.com/user/mdgilmer/playlist/5baFBB0H26URW7S5Fmt9Nf

Try this.

You like Pink Floyd and Beatles, I'm sure you'll love this album.

Yeah that's a list for it, but its not a good playlist—A Hawk and a Hacksaw isn't a big group at all. Start with olivia tremor control - Dusk at Cubist Castle, specifically "Define a Transparent Dream"

Also are you looking to get into any genres to expand your taste but don't know how?

I'll check it out thanks very much man.

Got "Define a Transparent Dream" on now, gotta admit I'm liking it so far, thanks user.

Also yeah, it would be brilliant if I could get into grime/hiphop cause literally all my close friends almost exclusively listen to that, but it just sounds really boring to me.

this guy

Any paticular songs/albums in mind?

Os Mutantes. This is basically a brazilian version of The Beatles but better.

youtube.com/watch?v=52ODpVkntZ8

thepiratebay.org/torrent/7387680/Os_Mutantes_FLAC_Discography_9_albums_(REPACKED)

Springsteen is GOAT

You really shouldn't do it if your sole reason is to fit in with friends. If you want to get into music then it should be of your own volition and desire to expand so you can just know and enjoy more in general

I'm not much help in hip hop land but here's some stuff i bet your friends would like:
Amon Tobin - Bricolage
Death Grips - Government Plates
BadBadNotGood - III

Everyone has their favorite.
I did it chronologically.
Most people say Apostrophe is the best one to begin with, but I don't really care for it.
I'd suggest listening to the first song of Hot Rats, One Size Fits All or Chunga's Revenge and keep listening if it clicks.

>responding to bait
Welp here I go.

If you want to expand your taste within the realm of rock, a few albums that shaped music which you will probably enjoy:

The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
youtube.com/watch?v=2y_9hwW1eV0

Talking Heads - Remain in Light
youtube.com/watch?v=LVGnTE5N1U8

As for ACTUALLY expanding taste, here's a few things that might get you into distant genres

>JS Bach's Mass in B Minor
>Baroque music, "Classical", greatest-of-all-time-core
youtube.com/watch?v=m7obnfrlP0s

>Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
>Avant-garde jazz, scaruffi meme
youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg

>Organized Konfusion - Stress: The Extinction Agenda
>Hip Hop (Also known as Rap)
youtube.com/watch?v=tdyBQkBuSjs

go from there etc. etc.

All of those are good to greta albums?

Who cares? Listen to what you like. You'll only be wanting to listen to something else for the wrong reasons.

Isn't he just a meme?

I don't really don't want to do it to fit in with them, I don't care about being different, it's moreso the fact that I'd quite like to be able to appreciate the music they play when we hang out and not be bored shitless. Also saved , thanks. (Btw I'm really liking The Olivia Tremor Control thanks for turning me on to them).

Thanks man, all added to the list, I'd definitely check him out.

Hot Rats is the only album where Zappa actually tried to make good music. Do it first.

grime is shit don't listen to it

why dont you like god tier shugazi like my bloody valentine - loveless or Slowdive and some good electronica like Aphex Twin and Oneohtrix Point Never

Saved man, thank you. That's actually an old chart and I have listened to remain in light since making it (although I wasn't fully sober so I wasn't properly listening) and there was some pretty decent songs from what I can remember, I'll have to listen to it again.
Also cheers for the other recs gonna stick on organized confusion now.

Yeah I get that, it's just that I don't know that many people who share the same taste as me, so if I have a more diverse taste it would allow me to connect with more people and appreciate more music (as well as the music which is being produced now).

OK I'll save it to my spotify now, cheers man.

lol she certainly is a polarising artist. At least on Sup Forums.

I've never listened to them, but I'll add them to my list.

>Yeah I get that, it's just that I don't know that many people who share the same taste as me, so if I have a more diverse taste it would allow me to connect with more people and appreciate more music (as well as the music which is being produced now).
I know like 50 people IRL who have the same taste as you. wtf are you talking about? Maybe you associate with the wrong people.

Oh also
Whoops forgot:
Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
Brian Eno - Ambient 1
Jlin - Black Origami

>Wants to get into hip-hop.
Lyricism is such a vital thing for the genre, so if you want to get into it I'd suggest getting into how incredible the lyrics & vocal performances of some MCs are.

Beats also important. Check out J Dilla's album "Donuts" for that side of things.

Some songs that someone coming from rock may like;

youtube.com/watch?v=MaYa1bSCg_A
youtube.com/watch?v=s4XC6dyBWi4

Yeah, thats why i put it first in my suggestions.
But Inca Roads is a masterpiece and Chungas Revenge is criminally underrated.

Discogs
RYM
Last.fm
Spotify

All those will provide you with similar music to your taste to last a lifetime.

Skip schizoid man and listen to the rest of the album. Imo I Talk to the Wind and Epitaph are easily just as good tracks.

Probs the fact that I am 18 idk

Thanks man, all added to the list.

OK will do, added to the list.
The lyrics are really cool for some songs I admit it just the delivery which I don't like, for example Kanye, Kendrick and Stormzy's rap style just doesn't sound good to me at all.

I'll put them behind Hot Rats on the list then.

I'm on spotify and last.fm, but desu Sup Forums is much better at recommending albums, plus you can talk to the people who are reccing them.

Idk, I don't really maintain interest during moonchild and stuff, it seems too slow and a bit random, especially when it just seems to be random noises for around 5 mins. Maybe I'll get it after a few listens though.

Which albums should I prioritize?

Nice chart user, we've got some pretty similar stuff. You might like most of the stuff on here

>Mumford & Sons
laughingwhores.jpg

Saved, cheers man. Any particular suggestions? Also you definitely the right choice for the top album, it gets a bad rep on here.

Listen to Red by King Crimson. It's darker, heavier, has amazing playing, and is just a masterpiece. Warning though, Providence isn't for plebs.

Why would he be a meme?
Listen to his first 8 albums and decide for yourself.

Love me some dark, heavy music so thanks user, it's now on the list. (Is providence more or less pleb-friendly than moonchild?)

Yeah, Pepper is spectacular and the new remix only made me love it more. A lot of my chart is prog rock, which you already probably know some about since you have Pink Floyd on your chart and tried out In the Court. I'd try out either The Yes Album or Fragile by Yes, they're a little more accessible

Thats a lot of music, got a paticular album which you can rec? Would be much easier to access.

Not that user but Darkness on the Edge of Town

how has no one mentioned mika on this guys chart? is he an 11 yo girl or?

I think everyone's got a couple guilty pleasures on their charts.

Ok thank you very much user, saved to my spotify, also forget to mention but I have listened to tales of topographical oceans (it's very weird lol) and thought it was ok so maybe I'll like these more.

Thank you man, saved will defo check it out.

Only mentally.
For real though, Mika is (was) class and made a top-tier indie-pop album.

Cheers for having my back user :).

Born to Run

yeah Tales is pretty long and spacey, I can get why you wouldn't be a huge fan if it was your first Yes album

Added to the list, cheers lad.

>Love me some dark, heavy music
Oh boy now's my chance!
youtube.com/watch?v=X1X0Bejwnko

This is his greatest hits album. I personally came to love Frank Zappa based on this album

Maybe less pleb friendly. It sounds scary and brooding and more like Avant garde metal.

I wasn't my favourite, but I was interested, so I'm definitely up for giving Yes another chance.

Saved, cheers man, it's now on my spotify :)

Last one on the list, looks like a good start point for a Zappa pleb as well, thank you user.

Thanks guys this was brilliant, very helpful indeed! But I gtg for a while, if this thread is still active when I get back (around 3 hrs) I will reply to you all.
Thank you very much guys!

Sounds different at least and interesting so at least that seems good.

Listen to Fun Trick Noisemaker, by Apples In Stereo.