Over-stylized, little to no substance, generic underlying themes

over-stylized, little to no substance, generic underlying themes

seriously, nothing happened in this movie til the end of the 3rd act

easily the most pretentious movie of the year.
good movie visuals is not enough to make a good movie

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OjFMqGI34Gk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ITT: things plebs say

/thread

it was pretty shit, yeah

The worst part was the film implying that Elle Fanning is more beautiful than Abbey Lee

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

truth

that wasn't an implication

it's a fact

FPBP

i know Sup Forums likes refn but cmon son, this wasn't very good

How are you guys so thick.

She's pure. She's untouched by human hand. She's young, a maiden, uncorrupt by the world cause she doesnt know how terrible it is.
Her beauty is trascendental you goddamm idiots.
And people notice this. Ruby outright says this.
The fact that this features transpires as exteriority in the fashon setting of the movie is because THAT'S HOW FUCKING VISUAL NARRATIVES WORKS YOU CUNTS.
YOU WANT TO SAY A THING AND YOU DONT SAY IT, YOU TAKE A PHISICAL MANIFESTATION OF THE THING AND EMBEDDED IT WITH MEANING.

>i know Sup Forums likes refn but cmon son, this wasn't very good
*20 years later*
>oh yeah, I remember that film that I watched when it's came out, wow truly incredible movie

i'm on the wrong side of history now?

>kek

There are currently four threads about this film.
What's up with that. Did the torrent just come out or something?

>little to no substance
If you can't comprehend metaphor, maybe film is not the genre you should be looking for deeper meaning in.

I understood everything senpai, fuck off with this "hurr you just don't get it". It's an pretentious argento ripoff. Is this babby's first flick with symbolism? Watch more films

>I understood everything senpai, fuck off with this "hurr you just don't get it". It's an pretentious argento ripoff. Is this babby's first flick with symbolism? Watch more films
Well, then you wouldn't complain about it having little to no substance.

Could you explain what you understood?

The little substance it has is incredibly shallow and it's been done before and done better. The big flaw here is that it doesn't compensate it in any way and doesn't do anything new with it

Can you explain what you think i didn't?

>The little substance it has is incredibly shallow and it's been done before and done better
Where and when?

not an argument

suspiria, sunset boulevard, mulholland drive, giallo flicks, black swan, repulsion, the hunger and even persona to an extent. Can't think of more right now but the themes explore are incredibly familiar

explored*

this is the same dumb shit you turbo plebs said about Only God Forgives. But I bet you think batman vs superman or civil war was a masterpiece

>suspiria, sunset boulevard, mulholland drive, giallo flicks, black swan, repulsion, the hunger and even persona
>themes explored* are incredibly familiar
Is that so? I read it more as detailing the experience of being a beautiful woman, which in my opinion it did quite well and quite terrifyingly if you think about it. Jesse is pretty much a blank slate, without personality or agency, everything that happens in the film is the environment reacting to her appearance, be it the other models antagonizing her, Ruby and the clerk trying to sexually abuse her or the beta orbiter photographer becoming obsessed with her and projecting onto her qualities she simply does not possess. I don't see much similarity in the films you posted, really. Superficial similarities at best, the whole "new girl enters competitive business and gets devoured by the industry thing" shouldn't be where your analysis ends.

It doesn't end there, and i agree with what you said, but it's still not enough in my opinion. It felt really dull and hollow. His dialogue is also getting worse

not him, but i feel the dialogue was cheesy and vague on purpose

>he wasted 2 hours watching a film and not paying attention
why do people do this?

I think you're giving refn too much credit, he's not exactly a subversive genius, or else he would've made this work

>suspiria, sunset boulevard, mulholland drive, giallo flicks, black swan, repulsion, the hunger and even persona to an extent.
Which one of those also had a shamanist/pagan subtext?

>Did the torrent just come out or something?
Take a wild guess
It's fucking stupid because it means all the shitposters watched it on their 12" laptop screens, probably with Sup Forums open in the background
This film is one of the most gorgeous, most engrossing films ever made. It was meant to be watched in cinemas. At the very least, it should be watched on a tv with surround sound with no external distractions

No, but dude, they're set in LA and/or have surrealist themes so like, they're basically the same film

You either get Rfen or you don't

Suspiria. Unfortunetely here it doesn't go anywhere so it's basically irrelevant.

i didn't imply refn being a genious at any point, but it was clear he was imitating cheesy dialog from oldish italian horror flicks, for example the romantic scene between jesse and the photographer

You didn't watch the films i posted or you didn't pay enough attention

>one of the most gorgeous, most engrossing films ever made
I'm not sure if I would go that far but it was quite an experience in the theater. And you certainly shouldn't be browsing during it.

>shamanist/pagan subtext
Huh? Explain this.

Yeah, that's from the argento and giallo films. But he doesn't do anything different with it so it's essentially a chessy ripoff.

nice argument, really made me think

Lynchcucks and paid critics mad in this thread.

>over-stylized, little to no substance, generic underlying themes
Quite fitting for a movie about fashion don't you think?

>it's shallow on purpose therefore it's good

Wow that's so deep, err i mean it's so shallow!

Mulholland drive is shit

Mullholland drive isn't shit. See how worthless your post is?

Explain Lynch-thing to me, fempai. What do he has with Neon Demon?

Broccoli is healthy.

I've seen too many movies to expect substance.

If a movie can hold my attention by just being aesthetically pleasing, it's good.

I see this too much really and I'm not saying people should stop this but, can anyone give me a movie with actual profound substance?

Let's be honest, most movies are fluff.

I like it when a movie is more stylized because at least I'm going to see stuff I haven't seen before.

I detest watching movies that look like they are overlong TV episodes.

Name your favorite directors so i can have an idea on what to recommend

what was the deal with these 2 scenes where she changes her personality and suddenly becomes really cold and tells her guy friend to fuck off but then she goes back to her normal personality again

kubrik, boyle, cuarón, fincher and iñárritu are the first that come to mind

they are have a distinct style and have a fascination with space

I do like refn and lars van triers. And I'm going to admit being kind of a snyderbot as well. Like I said before. I don't mind style over substance as long as it is done well.

M.Bay is someone who is style over substance but doesn't really innovate.

>Huh? Explain this.
Are you serious?

Tarkovsky, Fellini, Lang, Malick, Wilder, Noe, Haneke.

Obviously. Explain the pagan/shaman subtext, faggot.

It is a great film, get over it you fucking virgins

Tarkovsky, Malick and Haneke are great. Seen most of their movies.

Going to check out the others. Thanks.

But could you explain me the substance meme? Because I really don't get it.

When I think about movies without substance I think of generic action movies and the likes.

Underage kids think that anything surrealist is a rip-off of Lynch. I'm not kidding

It has substance, but there's not much to it, it's really shallow. I posted a lot of it above and i'm kinda tired of arguing desu. Check out Vinterberg if you like Von Trier too, i forgot about him

I never said that there are things you didn't understand. I just want to know what you think you understood.

Can you provide me a specific movie that can't be considered shallow please?

10/10 BOTYAY

Jesus mate, shallow is a generic term and anything i say you'll shit on it for not being deep enough. Reccd you a lot of directors, some of which you said youv'e seen, that have great, meaningful films, check them out. Andrei rublev, Tree of life and The white ribbon, from the directors you seen

You watched it on your lap top didnt you pleb?

This movie NEEDS to be seen on the big screen with surround sound. It's so captivating I could hardly remember to breathe when I saw it.

Whats with the lack of substance argument? or that nothing happens? How does it lack substance?

It's Refn's take on the classic 'young girl goes to L.A. to make it big' story and turns it into a neon nightmare. Purity, beauty and pleasure mix with obsession, the grotesque and violence.

I'll concede the middle is a little slow but it's still full of tension and drama.

I like the film, a lot, but you sound like a pretentious pleb who didn't get it.

Not him, but I loved the movie for what it is.

Deep, is what it isn't though.

what is substance supposed to mean here?

how? explain your arguments

what did I 'not get' ?

>shallow is a generic term and anything i say you'll shit on it for not being deep enough

Exactly. I think the argument of being shallow is meaningless since most movies are shallow.

I think people get out of movies what they put into them. I've seen whole dissertations on Age of Ultron.

So yea, depth is subjective and up to the viewer.

Some people watch the Holy Mountain and get their minds blown, others find it incomprehensible drivel.

when you judge an audiovisual piece like a book i.e. muh plot

Those arent legitimate criticisms. Try again kid.

bravo

I agree with you

All good art is an empty container which the viewer fills their own ideas and connections

Not saying you didn't get it, just that you don't sound like it.

>Refn's take on the classic 'young girl goes to L.A. to make it big' story
Objectively true, very superficial analysis.
>and turns it into a neon nightmare
>Purity, beauty and pleasure mix with obsession, the grotesque and violence.
>full of tension and drama
Lots of empty words.

How to write a movie like Refn: Think of a bunch of scenes and images you think look cool, and then write write a vague story to connect them

>pretentious
Only idiots use this word. Rather than actually considering that an artist may have put some intent behind his work, you throw an insult and call the artist, his work and anyone who likes it shallow.

Anyway it was a good film, gorgeous visuals and sound, interesting themes. I think it feel apart right after the necrophilia scene, I like the scene, but all the stuff after that isn't as good.

I remember I found it comical with the eye ball at the end, since it looked very unconvincing.

Not that user, but the movie was a character piece about a girl that tries to exploit her best asset, her beauty, and ultimately pays the price due to the envy around her.

Her biggest draw is also her biggest weakness.

She starts to think she's above everyone but doesn't realize she's also the most attractive pray for all the predators around her.

perhaps my writing is just 'over-stylized' for your taste

you're just really not making to clear at all how it is that you 'get it'. What is it that everyone else ITT is missing ?

You say it's thin and lacking substance, but also thick enough that a pleb like me doesn't understand it. Make up your mind

And don't talk to me about empty words when the most fleshed out argument you've posted so far is ...

>over-stylized, lacking substance and nothing happens

>How to write a post like user: Think of a bunch of words that sound cool, and then write a vague sentence to connect them.

Just stop. Think about what the movie was about and then come back.

that's actually exactly how he makes his movies
>I found it comical with the eye ball at the end
yes indeed, it's very tastless and over the top besides looking cheesy and unconvincing. i feel that people are taking this movie way too seriously. there's lots of silly dialogue here and there in the movie among other toungue-in-cheek things, and either the diehard refn fanboys are praising the movie as immaculate high-art cinema masterpiece or the exact opposite.

>You say it's thin and lacking substance, but also thick enough that a pleb like me doesn't understand it
I'm not the OP, why would you think that?
I'm just sort of an asshole, advising people I don't know to better phrase their movie reviews. An advice you should take to heart.

>over-stylized
There's no such thing, and even if there is neon demon isn't.
Enter The Void might be tho

I actually had Enter The Void in my mind while watching this.

I liked Enter The Void though. I guess I just like stylish movies.

Well when you put it like that, fair enough. But I'd still incorporate those words into a tagline or 2nd paragraph. It isn't the basis of the review, but I think it more or less describes elements the movie juxtaposes

Enter the void is leagues ahead of this.

Definitely my least favorite Refn film.

Looked good and that's about it.

Learn how to cinéma

I should clarify, i've only seen Drive and this one.

>no jesse, you are the neon demons

really?

Seen most of them.

Bronson is my favorite.

watch the pushers then mate. you'll cream your pants

this

and this

and the others

only god forgives is a good Movie

Great fucking interview. Based refn
youtube.com/watch?v=OjFMqGI34Gk
Should watch.

I watched it on my phone while playing Bf4 with some pauses to browse 4chin.

Fuking awful movie, nothing had sense.

the only thing to take from this movie is when the casting guy was having an orgasm

Thanks user, that interview was awesome
Really explained the reason behind the themes and also made Refn more understandable

I like it but I agree it shit OP.

>Mfw reading Armond white review on it.

The only thing I disliked about this film was its casting. The protagonist was supposed to be this transcendent ineffable beauty but I really didn't think she was that attractive. I thought Kershaw was better looking.

"Good movie" really depends on what you think makes a good movie. It's not objective.

Why didn't she fucking call the cops when the girl next door was getting raped

Stupid fucking bitch

>tfw there isn't a theatre in 50 mile radius playing it

laptop had to do matey

nice buzzwords dude. You're like a buzzword DEMON!

because she was busy being a successful underage model pretending to be 19