Why do people hate this movie?

why do people hate this movie?

because it's true

Because it's not that good. Stylistically it's cool, but the story and acting are not.

>Stylistically it's cool, but the story and acting are not.
weak b8 m8. Unless you are actually this much of a pleb

>73907641

>acting are not.
wot

Reddit and Tumblrinas hate the film.
Go check it out.

Patricians know it's really good.

because its dull

>Not realising it's shallow on purpose to reflect the world it's portraying.

Women don't like seeing a realistic portrayal of themselves

Literally this

But the script was written by two woman and the Cinematography of this film is a woman.

Don't know why?

wow so deep, or should i say shallow?

Some women just really hate other women with a passion

My movie of the year so far

Oh, then that's why it's bad. Women can't write and they can't cinematog, duh.

the writing was bad but the Cinematography in the film was great user.

just because he directed drive doesn't mean he is a good screenwriter, he should stick with directing

>literally the danish kojima

both hacks

same reason people hated Only God Forgives

These posts are accurate. The story and writing is divisive because people don't want to believe that the fashion and modeling industry is so bad. The criticism that the characters are unbelievably cartoonish and one dimensional is not valid in my opinion because the film does a fairly good job of portraying the industry. Models doing sleazy things to maintain their status, creepy photographers taking advantage of fresh faced models, and unhinged fashion designers using girls as expendable canvases are all fairly common place especially in hubs like LA and NYC.

Some people are also turned off by the cinematography but that's probably just because they weren't expecting it going in to the movie and didn't know about Refn's film making style. I worked in the modeling industry for a few years and really liked the film and the message. People will always get upset when a director supplants their beliefs about an idealized, jet-setting industry like fashion that so many women dream of being a part.

>Some people are also turned off by the cinematography

Really because I think the film has problem but i think the way the film is shot is great. I'm surprise people think the cinematography is bad.

why don't you read the reviews and find out?

Same reason they hate Only God Forgives. They're plebs (for the most part).

>didn't see it in the theater, watched a shitty YIFY rip on their craptop
>don't appreciate slow pacing and build up of tension
>can't into minimal dialogue and stylized gore

Also, friendly reminder:
>style over substance isn't a criticism or a bad thing
>OGF>Drive=Neon Demon

Every negative review I've glanced over tends to mention "flat" or "poorly-written" characters and they seem pretty mad about the "slasher style" and "gory" elements in the latter-half of the movie.

Seems to me like people drew up big expectations on what the film would be before they saw it.

That's because the common pleb has only seen Drive or maybe Bronson, they have no idea what Refn's capable of. They expect some Oscar bait drama like Black Swan instead of Refnkino.

Valhalla Rising is currently fresh on RT but if it was released after Drive it would've gotten poor reviews. It's all about the expectations.

It's a tinfoil ball for undeveloped personalities. You know how kids think everything is so deep and adults 'don't get' it? That's this movie in a nutshell. It's obvious, underdeveloped and ultimately childish.

It's a beautifully wrapped present and once opened is found to be empty

Of course it looks good when it rips off Argento and Bava.
Style is the only thing Refn has, and it's not even original in the least.

>Ugly women don't like seeing a realistic portrayal of themselves

FTFY

>people don't want to believe that the fashion and modeling industry is bad

You're full of shit. Never noticed how people try to link anorexia to the modeling industry?

>didn't see it in the theater
This isn't fucking Brakhage. Nobody, especially someone who's big in the movie industry, makes films just to be watched in the cinemas. Sure, it's a much better experience, but that has no bearing on criticism.

>style over substance isn't a criticism or a bad thing
True, at least most of the times. Sometimes style IS substance (see Malick), but then again you have the likes of Tarantino who does insane over the top violence, but the film itself is simple and straightforward, or Nolan who starts off with a nice premise but over-complicates everything for no reason.

The problem with Refn is that while his style and cinematography are consistently good or at least interesting, it's somewhat separated from the messages of his films, or at least they feel shoved in, superficial, deliberately cold and distant, yet at the same time very obvious.

As for his unique style, see