/poker/ thread

/poker/ thread

Let's talk strats. When do you limp/fold/raise etc

Never limp

what about KT suited?

Go all in on the first hand to show everyone at the table that you have balls. They'll be afraid of you the rest of the game.

I've played poke a very long time
I don't feel I have the passion for it anymore
I've done well at lower stakes but its difficult knowing i'll never get rich from it and the variance is tough
the game has broken me

Whats the highest ammount of money you've betted?

I play 2/4 euro cent games. Max in a hand is probs 3 euro

Depends on your position. If im on the sb after raise call, I may limp

Scratch that i played a £20 buy in once when I probs played more

my current hand is a pocket Ts. ive limped in

I dont play for money

whats the point then?

moron detected

Enjoy this beautiful game

i mean, what sort of autistic question is this. there is no way to give a meaningful answer. but i'll try.

i raise when i think i have the best hand, i limp when i think i might have the best hand now or later, and i fold when i think i'll never have the best hand.

did you find at low stakes you get morons that go all in on 34 off

this happens at all stakes

t. played fulltime for 7 years.

it was just a discussion point chill

back to r3ddit with you

Why reddit?

Never is a terrible thing to say in poker.

It depends on the table. If I'm playing with a table full of maniacs that will play the later streets aggressively, then I'm limping a lot. But I'm limping with 10/8 suited about as often as I'm going to limp with A/A. I do this because when the flop hits me hard I'm going to make up for all the times I fold and lose my limp.

You've got to be comfortable reading the board though.

you shouldn't literally never limp, but limping should be very rare. this is the biggest mistake most people make, and you see it a ton playing live, 5-6 people limp into the pot preflop. these people are terrible at poker. online players are generally much stronger, and you'll get wrecked limping so much online.

where all the fags go

got a maniac in at the minute whos just stealing blinds. hate those people

Am i a fag for just enjoying a card game without risking my money?

yea except these sorts of vague bullshit questions are common. go read any sort of online poker forum. even questions that are much, much more specific, "how do i play aces?" are vague bullshit with no meaningful answer.

you can talk about basic strategy, like what hands are better than others, what cards to play preflop, whether to raise or limp those hands, etc. but beyond that, playing, and posting hands for analysis, is just about the only meaningful thing you can do.

wheres the buzz though

it depends, each game is different and each game you are going to get good cards, bad cards, will the draws come, will the other players be in the hand when they come, will someone get very lucky against you(2% - 10%)
some play like maniacs, the higher stakes you go the smarter people get, whats he thinking, whats he thinking im thinking, what do I think he thinks im thinking, it goes on and on

playing without risking money is fine. but you're not really playing poker. when there is nothing at stake, it fundamentally changes how people play the game. you could play a million hours of poker at play money and it would prepare you virtually nil for playing .2c/.,5c

I supported myself on online poker for two years.

What most people don't seem to realize is that your goal isn't to run the table and be the best player there. Your goal should be to find a table or two with a few fish that are guaranteed to give you money.

I used to play 4-6 tables at a time until I could narrow down to the 2-3 that were going to be profitable. I avoided clashing with players that seemed to know what they were doing and ruthlessly milked the ones that didn't.

That was back when people would watch a few tournaments online and think they were going to get rich playing online poker.

Grinding it out I made about 600-800 a week on average playing 14-20 hours.

Mmm i dont buy it, any kind of proof?

sometimes i find it frustrating playing and folding shit hand after shit hand. sometimes i wanna go in just for some action

Depends where he is. If you have position on him then punish him every chance you get. Re-raise him without mercy.

If he's got position on you then just find another table unless your's is really juicy for some other reason.

Chasing the maniacs is bad for your mental health. Better to just let them suck out on someone else and pick away at the rocks and the weak and passive players.

>Mmm i dont buy it
I'm not that guy but are you stupid?
what does he have to prove to you?
everything he said makes sense except being vague on the hours per/day/week

play live games almost weekly. $100 buy in blinds 1/2. Biggest games I play are $500 with blinds @ 2/5. limp with small pair up to tens or jacks, fold garbage and raise with big suites aces, pocket pair of QQs or better or AK. If I don't hit my cards, I generally bet like I have it. I'm known to be a conservative tight player which allows me to win my bluffs more often.

That's why playing 4-6 tables was a little better. Chances are there was always at least one table where I had a decision to make.

>600-800 a week

Not that user but
>I supported myself on online poker for two years

i dont think im good enough to play multiple tables. I still have to think to see whats on

I used to play 2-3 hours a day. Usually at night.

Best time was midnight to 3 am on Friday and Saturday nights (American time). Lots of idiots that I assumed were coming back from the bar and pissing away their poker accounts.

Played mostly the 2-4 dollar blind, no-limit, hold-em tables. I didn't do much in tournaments. I dabbled with sit n' goes but they were swingy and I didn't see the same return for my time until I hit the 110 dollar buy-ins. Once you hit that level the players are much better.

>I supported myself on online poker for two years
whats your point you fucking autist are we supposed to read you fucking mind?

I jumped up to 4-8 dollar blinds for a bit, but I didn't have the stomach for it at the time.

Online poker was my sole income at the time and having up to 2500 on the line for swings made me play more tentatively than I needed. Also the skill level from 2-4 to 4-8 was a huge step up. 2-4 was easily beatable while I had to be on my best game to come out ahead at 4-6.

That's like playing basketball and not keeping score.

>Let's talk strats. When do you limp/fold/raise etc
If you are at this level you need to look somewhere else

just flopped trip Js with a K. won that hand

What position?

I don't like a limp with 10s. Too many flops can give you a headache. Unless you are just playing it to set mine where you are done with the hand if you don't flop a 10, I just don't like a limp there. And pocket 10s are too good to set mine.

What if the flop is J-8-7. And the BB bets out? Your going to lose money if he's got the J and not make much if he doesn't. Either way you've got to get aggressive at some point to weed out the weaker hands. Might as well do it pre-flop. Too many weak hands that can pwn you post flop will stay in to a limp but fold to a raise.

UTG/UTG+1 i think. Played a few hands since thaat

Are you playing for money?

What sites are good for money in the US? I feel like after Black Friday money poker for US players (and online poker in general) sorta just dried up.

im playing on betfair. so it's probably all europeans
>its all in euros so i guess

also WSOP is on at the moment so i figure some seasonal fans will come out for fun

Not terrible if no one else had limped until you.

I still prefer a small raise to limit the hands the BB will stick around with. Not a bad strategy as long as you do the same with AA every now and then.

I rarely ever limp with AA unless I'm sure someone will pop a raise on me. I've seen way too many people crying about how junk hands cracked their aces and then I find out they limped to get action.

folded A8 off as sb
>tempted to limp tbh

UTG or UTG+1 I prefer to pop a raise with almost any pocket pair. Junk hands are less likely to call and weak players with better hands are more likely to just call.

If I limp UTG with 10s and get action from 3-4 players, unless I hit a ten on the flop I've really got no idea where I stand and I've got to be into 2-3 people. Not a great feeling if you get re-raised, or even called there.

What?

A8o is a raise all day every day if you are SB and no one else has opened.

Statistically, what can the BB have that he's comfortable calling OOP with?

Honestly, I'm stealing the blinds with any two cards if action is folded to me and I'm on the button or SB.

If the button or SB limp and I'm BB, I'm re-raising 9 times out of 10 with any two cards.

Most of the time he's going to fold. If he re-raises you, then you can comfortably fold. If he calls, then you hope to hit the flop.

ive been on this table now 1 1/2h and ive seen no 3-bets pre-flop

You playing limit or no-limit?

NL

If you've gone that long without seeing a 3-bet, then I'd pop about 3.5 times the blind with any hand I'm going to play.

You'll be stealing the blinds all day. If people start cold-calling, then tighten up a bit with your range but continue to come in with a raise every hand you do play.

players keep changing so i never know what the newer people are like.