What are the essential Cyberpunk movies?

What are the essential Cyberpunk movies?

There's all the essential Keanu-core:
johnny mnemonic
a scanner darkly
the matrix (trilogy if you bother with the sequels)

Blade Runner
Gattaca

what's in the thread picture?

Strange Days

Looks like Strange Days. Vurry good.

strange days

The Soundtrack was great too

Oh right I've even seen it lol, really good

Should add some some essential animecyberpunkino:
Akira and Ghost in the Shell

also Judge Dredd now that I think of it

For some reason, despite all its flaws, I really enjoy watching the movie Cypher. It really strikes that they're-watching-me, paranoid tone.

PERSONAL

RESPONSIBILITY

Real life

>Cyberpunk
It's just normal 1994 with one new gimmicky invention

Dragon Ball Z - Cell's arc

Oh that Dark Mirror serie is pretty cyberpunk too

>Akira and Ghost in the Shell
Weeaboo trash.

Strange days

why the total recall remake?

> it's anime so it's bad
pleb opinion

>watching anime
Wrong board.

this

you're admitting you can't look past the medium and see the inherent value, which is the same as saying anything trying to communicate ideas to you outside of a very specific way is a waste of time because you're a waste of a person

Would you really consider Akira to be cyberpunk? It doesn't seem to carry any cyberpunk themes...

>cartoons for manchildren
>value
Are you serious? Anime as a medium is a laughable excuse for animation.

Strange Days is Marxist political garbage. I'm sorry

>neo-tokyo itself isn't cyberpunk

kys my man

most passive entertainment is, but you're the one with the handicap, so you're the resident expert

congratulations shinji!

Elaborate

>most passive entertainment is
Now that's just weeaboo projection.
>congratulations shinji!
I don't keep in touch with your weebtrash maymays.

Dude the original Total Recall is way better cause its so ambiguous. The remake kills the entire mystery and paranoia premise of the movie(most of it).

Also why does Johnny Mnemonic have such shit reviews? Is it worth it? The plot actually sounds really cool.

>browses egyptian political discussion board
>doesn't know his basic basics

whatever you say newfriend-kun ;^)

you do know that all these essential lists have bait films inserted in them?

I browse Sup Forums, not Sup Forums or some other weeaboo board, so I don't need to know about your weebshit, because I have zero interest in this trash.

I really just want to discuss actual content instead of fucking memes, so I kind of forget sometimes..

>tron
just because its' got computer interfacing doesn't make it fucking cyberpunk, user

Dude actually Sup Forums itself is specifically a fucking anime board that branched out. Not that guy but shit man check yourself.

oh okay, sure you're right :DDDDD

Dystopia, transhumanism, technology, synth, etc. I think it fits

Right from the beginning, race baiting black leader whining about systematic oppression. White cop framing black male bit. It's just so pathetic.
I can not enjoy movies with such petty propaganda. And this was just the first 20 minutes.

>A black rapper who has shocked the nation with his aggressive lyrics gives a live televised speech on a podium
Fucking shoot me. yikes

Where do you think you are faggot

>synth
lol funny but such an accurate trope.

>a fucking anime board
That would be Sup Forums, but you're welcome to make Sup Forums-related threads on here and eventually get banned. Being a dumbfuck weeb isn't illegal.
Sup Forums

Considering the political spectrum of the last 5 years has been nothing but race baiting black leaders whining baout systematic oppression, it seems pretty accurate. The shit you listed is literally happening right now at an even more ridiculous level.

Your preferential ignorance is bordering on annoying.

If you're annoyed, stop responding.

black rapper "shocking" the nation with his lyrics? giving televised speeches? Nope, that's just too cringey

Yes not specifically that, but the same shit is happening. Obviously culture would never realistically let that scenario play out. Are you blind to the world around you? Turn on the fucking news

how about adding dark city to this?

also i like how it has minority report. that flick is really underrated.

Also I should note that I haven't seen the movie so maybe its more cringe than I'm imagining.

why are everyone thinking dark city is a cyberpunk movie all of a sudden
it's a good movie but it's just a sci-fi film with supernatural stuff going on

Minority Report was very popular at the time of its release. Of course after ten+ years it will seem more obscure...

Yes, so why would I enjoy a flick that was made right during the peak of that crap (1999) and makes it seem cool and celebrate it? It's obnoxious.
Also, I dropped it after 20 minutes. Go ahead, try it and see how long you can make it

Yeah its more like a Stephen King story than anything.. no idea what genre to classify it as. Weird druggie shit maybe?

Was race baiting really that big at the turn of the century? I was born in 1994, and it seemed that we were simply obsessed with oil, terror, and the ME to the point it became american culture. But since all that shit cooled down and Obama went into office and all this BLM shit it seems that the current spectrum is the peak of race bitching for my generation.

google says it's sci-fi/mystery/thriller

>I was born in 1994

so was most of this thread, apparently, no fucking wonder none of you spergs "get" anything

WHERE IS THE PLINKETT REVIEW YOU FUCKING HACK

Well, obviously not. I was also born in 1994.
I meant the peak as in the time when the bullshit was most tolerated must have been the early 00's
If bashing sjws and being politically incorrect is "cool" now in 10's, that's because the boiling point was in the mid to late 00's

This historical context of this movie was when cultural Marxism was met with least resistance.

>cyberpunk
>steampunk
>dune

sure are a lot of fedora threads on Sup Forums these days

How the fuck is that our fault? Calling us spergs just cause my parents waited until they were in their 30s. You just come off as an angry little bitch who is too lazy to articulate himself.

I knew I had this saved for a reason

>cultural Marxism

the doodle and the crane

Wait what? I think you have it opposite. Being politically correct(culturally marxist) is "cool" now in the 10's. It has been snowballing more and more towards this PC movement since the late 80s and is finally culminating in a political race war that we are currently witnessing with shit like BLM

Well, yeah it's still in. But this is the point where it becomes nauseating for some people.
This is the first time when it is meeting resistance with an actual momentum (Trump, anti-SJW sentiment on YT, far right groups, Brexit "alt right" whatever that means etc.)

>no idea what genre to classify it as.

Gnostic sci fi.

There's something cut off the bottom of this image.

it is, just more emphasis on "punk" than "cyber"

I'd never noticed

>limiting your tastes to one medium
must suck being autistic

Escape from New York is protocyberpunk.

>hackers
my nigga

I watched and actually bought that movie because of that chart. It is great, I wish I had watched it when it came out.

I am working my way through it.

I believe that is simply called being selective, whereas autism is a developmental disorder that affects one's ability to communicate and interact. So, based on that, I believe you seem to be the autistic one.

?

a lot of these aren't cyberpunk
cyberpunk is about a individual who just do his work and try stay out of trouble from the corruptare ultra zealous police and gigantic evergrowning powerful corporation
they do no save the world or make it better
in the list of movies Avalon ,babylond AD ,blade runner ,dredd are textbook exemple
the setting of total recall on mars is right but the movie himself isn't really cyberpunk
same for the two "escape from" movies

people give it too much shit for being cheesy sadly, I'm glad we got a 20th anniversary blu ray though

most autistic things I've read this week

cyberpunk describes the setting, not character archetypes, though often it is better when cyberpunk stories try to stay small in scope.

>blade runner
Blade Runner doesn't even apply as cyberpunk since it's essentially from the viewpoint of "the man".

viewpoint has no bearing whatsoever, cyberpunk is almost completely descriptive of the universe in which something is set

strange days

brazil

no the characters does count
they have to be fitting with the setting otherwise it would feel wrong or it would implie that the setting is not the obvious one

Who here hype for the new netflix adaptation of Altered Carbon?
Wonder if they will do it justice with the budget.

no definition of cyberpunk implies that the story matters at all to whether it is cyberpunk or not.

By that logic GitS isn't cyberpunk because the main characters are on an anti-terrorist force

cyberpnk
>great technological advances
>inequality. huge poverty

It's that simple.

Is this bait or are most cyberpunk movies shitty?

hey sounds like real life

berniebro low-lifes need to leave

But I support Trump.

what makes shaun of the dead fedoracore?

nah it's just a distopian future
i wouldn't classify GitS a really cyberpunk because the setting are way too define the characters aren't flooded with info /bad news/life at the point where they just ignore it and let it go
but the characters jobs doesn't matter see Dreed is a cop and the setting and character is cyberpunk
the juge are over zealous and blind it's fitting

then your view of cyberpunk is much more narrow than what it actually is

i would define ghost in the shell as like a pre-cyberpunk like all the bad things are there but the people's haven 't change yet
they're still optimist

So, according to you there shouldn't exist a movie with blacks complaining about whites at all? It's a restrict subject? I wonder how shitty a world according to your standards would be.

many of these aren't cyberpunk

Seems as good a place as any to post this.

gits is post-cyberpunk
the people are living non-oppressed/poor lives, with the only people who rebel being the ones who are against technology or against those who are against technology