I've been wanting to get into jazz for a long time now...

I've been wanting to get into jazz for a long time now, so I listened to Bitches Brew [accessible and appealing] and it was just incredible.

Any recommendations? Can be any variant or subgenre

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/7k7Sw
youtu.be/gZ_rZZusz90
discogs.com/wantlist?user=Lcf64
youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6GkA54n_Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i'm in the same boat its great for work
I'm also down with fusion, electronic, experimental, pysch jazz too

fine taste, what are some other essential works of psych jazz?

imgur.com/a/7k7Sw

here is a good general starter guide for different jazz subgenres

Anyhting from sun ra

Every work from Mr. Hancock

truthz, who else do you like my man?

sun ra, charles mingus, herbie, john mclaughlin,

check out miles live evil, silent way, dark magus

I'm gonna be listening through all of Davis's albums in order soon. Here's the backlog I'm using.

Thank you all, this will surely be a rewarding genre

Probably the most rewarding, except for maybe classical

Sup Forums doesn't know jazz, so here ya go:
1. Everything from Miles Davis between Filles de Killimanjaro up to Agharta
2. Herbie Hancock - Sextant, Head Hunters, Thrust, Manchild
3. Tony Williams Emergency - anything
4. Steve Grossman - Shape of Things to Come
5. Anything that Ornette Coleman did in the 70s but especially Science Fiction and Dancing In Your Head
6. Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay
7. Hampton Hawes - Universe
8. Billy Cobham - Spectrum
9. John Mclaughlin - Extrapolation
10. Soft Machine - Third

I'm trying to study more jazz also, this is helpful! Thanks stranger

Do you have a discogs account? I have a massive collection//wantlist for jazz youcould use to dive in. I'm way deep into avant garde jazz, free jazz, etc.

Look up the Wildflowers comps no matter what—NYC free jazz recorded live in Sam Rivers' loft in the 70s. Lots of key players like Roscoe Mitchell, Rivers himself, Sunny Murray, etc

I've never had an album blow my mind like Brew did, hell I'd never even listened to a record over 60 or 70 mins so this was an ear opener.
Thanks a ton for the content user, duly noted and ready to listen. I've only ever been familiar with the real well known jazz artists and I've never given a record a try until Brew so this is all very exciting

So what you do now, like ASAP:
Listen to what came first: In a Silent Way. It's the antithesis of Bitches Brew but its amazing

If you want even more Brew, then go to Live/Evil

If you want his ultimate funk masterpiece, go to On the Corner

If you want his jammiest, holy shit!!, go to Agharta

I've got In a Silent Way on now, I'm really loving this as well. Extremely engaging while still subtle and effective.

If you want something really weird I would suggest The Clown by Charles Mingus.

Its fucking great.

>Mingus
>really weird
You should really go listen to 70s Coleman
or Robin Kenyatta
or Alice Coltrane

I wish I could experience all those albums again but I'm glad youre getting such a beautiful experience. Miles Davis is one of the all time greatest musicians—period.

I hope you continue your dig into jazz and love it. Tbh if you wanna email or even be buds on social media, i'd be glad to keep sharing or whatever

Thanks so much man, this is all why I come here in the first place. In general, I try to distance myself from social media, so I'm sorry to decline that very kind offer. I feel that social media has been somewhat harmful to my life so I'm troubleshooting a bit, and music truly helps everything.

Cheers to you and I hope you find some great new material or find sublime satisfaction in revisitation to works you've already enjoyed, I owe you and all the other contributors here an enormous debt.

I just like the whole artistry of the album, with the story monologues inbetween tracks and how it all mixed together.

The jazz wasn't weird, that's not what I said. I meant that this particular album is really interesting and weird, as in, the dialogue inbetween and how it was all mastered. I thought it was brilliant.

GOAT Bill Evans

youtu.be/gZ_rZZusz90

Rec me modal pianists like Bill

A N D R E W H I L L
Roy Meriwether
Don Pullen is probs the best fit for ya tho
McCoy Tyner

I'd be interested in seeing the discogs wantlist

discogs.com/wantlist?user=Lcf64

More than just jazz in there, but lots of everything

youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6GkA54n_Q

Listen to karma by pharoah sanders, its fucking awesome

That one is great but nowhere near as good as what he'd go on to do on Village of the Pharoahs, Black Unity, Live at the East, Love is in Us All, Journey to the One...etc

Neat ill check those out, only listened to karma and harvest time