So the whole God deal is just bullshit?

So the whole God deal is just bullshit?

As far as I can tell.

no. but religion has a lot of bullshit. does not mean it is bullshit though.

Does not mean it isn't either.

Not if you say 'GOD' as in Lucifer.

was there ever really any reason to suspect otherwise?

I'll put it this way: Religion is great. God giving me purpose is awesome, and I'm happy. But, the practitioners of religion almost always suck. It's kind of like how humans just...well when they're grouped together humans find a way to ruin anything.

Edgy. Maybe you can tell us all about the pentagrams you like to draw on all of your papers in pre-algebra.

>religion is great
Nah man.
>God giving me purpose is awesome
You make your own purpose.

Oh man, you got me. I don't know how I'm gunna cope.

Yeah. YOU put in the effort to find it, but that doesn't mean you're not designed intelligently. There's always a journey, and on a private, spiritual level, having a connection to the creator of the universe is pretty cool.

I guess you'll have to cope by complaining about it on Reddit.

Pentagrams mean shit all. Just a part of what you see. Like the 'Flower of Life'. Time is relative. Run your mouth again pilgrim.

Edgy

I'm not designed intelligently because I evolved naturally.

There's no good reason to think spirits or a creator of the universe exist.

Wow, so deep man. You really must know your stuff.

God is real, just not the omnipotent supernatural entity described in the Dead Sea scrolls. The Gods are from another planet and the Earth is basically a lab.

I might.

all 4000+ religions are man made, written by humans just like you and me. They are not the word of "God".

The 2 major ones, Christianity and islam can eaisily be disproved by evolution. Adam and eve did not exist, it would be impossible and we have evolved from bacteria with evolution, thats a fact.

Now its time to seperate god from man made fiction. Did something cause the big bang to happen? is there a reason why it happened? Nobody knows. The concept of a god being the thing that caused the big bang to happen is still possible but it would be nothing like the god you are imagining.

When you die, your brain shuts down, you have no conciousness. You wont know your dead, just like you dont know your sleeping (unless your dreaming). You wont go to heaven or hell, they are man made fiction. You will be in nothingness just like before you were born. We have to cherish the tiny amount of time we have in this beautiful world because once we die, thats it.

Man made placebo effect. Turned into a mass delusion.

Yeah, I know. "Something from nothing". Temporal distortion. Anti-matter/matter. Worm hole from another universe. Multiverse, etc.

>mfw this is basically what my Dad believes
>mfw I have no face

I personally believe its not "something from nothing" as we know it. The big bang was the start of everything, time, space, every law of physic which then dictates something cannot come from nothing.

The start of the big bang happened when there was nothing, no laws, no time, just nothingness so it would make sense how it came about from nothing, after all. Somewhere, sometime, something HAD to of come from nothing

imo better way to put it: if time only exists if the universe exists, there would be no before the universe. To speak of the universe "coming from" would be nonsensical. At no point would the universe not exist, even though there's a beginning.

Eh. "Time" as humans know it can mean something completely misunderstood in space history. My point was. This universe could have been "born" from another, etc, etc.

Load of bullshit
You have no proof for your last paragraph
You're also a retard if you think an entire religion is based off a literal interpretation of its major texts

Go back to r/atheism lmfao

yeh thats a good way, except it gives the impression the universe has been here forever, its hard to phrase right

thats a huge claim to make

We have evidence that what you consider your consciousness is just your brain doing shit. We know that the brain dies and rots when you die.

Also DMT.

Well in a way the universe would have been here forever, in that it would exist for all time. It just would also have a starting point.

What is your purpose?
I don't see how believing in God would give me purpose. If God is omnipotent, than why would he need me?

Prepare for christfags mental gymnastics regarding that statement

Is the Bible bullshit?
yep

Is it possible there is a being responsible for the creation of the universe?
yep

If so, does it interfere in Earthly events?
nope

If so, is it possible to court favor with it?
no

Is it likely there is a being responsible for the creation of the universe?
nope

Is there an afterlife?
nope

you wouldn't believe me if i told you; also you shouldn't believe anything that comes out of any person.

its all true
and even if it isnt
do u rly tink its wort riskin goin 2 hell?
be like me n pray 2 jesos ever day

Yes. It may be true, but the chances are extremely low.

FUCK A TIT HARD

Proof?
As far as I know science hasn't been able to treat consciousness at all since its subjective and would require self experimentation, something that science rarely (if ever) does

Which god? Zeus? Thor? Yahweh? The multiplicity of gods should tell you something about their perceived existence...

I can talk you through what i said and the evidence to back it up.

When you die, you brain dies, its dead. You would have to be completely stupid to protest that. Consciousness only exists in your brain. If you have no brain, you have no consciousness.

Heaven and hell are man made fiction until proven otherwise. Ive just made up a place called fairyland which we all go to when we die. As far as youre or anyone is concerned, the concept of fairyland is been made by man even though it cant be disproven.

We will be in nothingness just like before we was born. We only exist for as long as we are alive. Unless you belive in some sort of spirit or soul which has absolutly no evidence whatsoever so it shall be treated as man made finction until proven otherwise. I dont think your objecting to the last bit, the universe and the world is the most beautiful thing i can ever imagine and its an absolute privilege that by the sheer accident i was born into the only species of living creature with enough intelligence to appreciate it.

there's no reason to believe otherwise until theists meet their burden of proof

>disregard all opinions in this thread
thats all im saying.

We know enough about brain damage and how it affects consciousness to know that it is tied directly to physical parts of your brain. We even know which parts of the brain to damage and how it can specifically affect conscious thought. Slicing one part of the brain instantly affects your speech, or your ability to recognize faces, etc. It's not magic.

You do not have a soul. You are nothing but a meat computer floating in fluid, encased in calcium. When the body that keeps you running finally shuts down, you will turn off and that is that.

>proof
Subjects with split brains, brain damage, etc. changing radically in personality, even developing additional personalities (extra fun when the added personality is an atheist when the first one was theist). So-called near death experiences can also be induced through purely physical means when the subject is in no actual danger of death.

>damage one part of the brain = damage the mind
>damage another brain part = another part of the mind is damaged and destroyed
>damage the entire brain = your mind floats up to heaven and you see your dead grandma

KEK

I think this one sums it up quite nicely.

I'm dealing with a dark view of the world right now.
Glad you see it "better". Yep. Enough of the magical, mysticism, delusional shit. It's not some fedora, pro-atheist preach. We should all accept the truth and facts. As hard as that is to know.

But where is your proof that consciousness exists only in the brain?
It could be something else that uses the brain as a vessel for all we know, like a program running on a computer

How does brain damage affect consciousness at all? And even so how does this prove consciousness is created by the brain

That's a lot of conjecture with little proof

None of those prove that consciousness is a product of the brain rather than the brain just serving as a casing

That argument doesn't make any sense
Either the person is self aware or he isn't, there isn't an inbetween state. Consciousness is not brain capacity.

I'm not going to bother replying to anything else since so far I've only had reddit tier responses of people who already have little understanding of science and even less ability of critical thinking.
If you actually formulate a proper response that takes into consideration the fact that consciousness is something that can not be proven by science since it is entirely subjective (ie dependant on the individual and impossible to observe by anyone but him) then I will give a (You)

>How does brain damage affect consciousness at all

are you retarded? People with severe brain damage lose consciousness. How much more evidence do you fucking need?

>None of those prove that consciousness is a product of the brain rather than the brain just serving as a casing
Define consciousness. If "you" can, to the observer, become an entirely different person or even multiple people through purely physical means, in what sense is a non-brain based consciousness meaningful?

for all we know, for everything we've been able to observe, you need a brain to have consciousness.

our best tentative explanation right now is that consciousness is an emerging property of a sufficiently complex brain

of course, it could be something completely different, but to the best of our knowledge brainless matter doesn't have consciousness.

Anyone claiming that consciousness is something separated from the brain will need to bring forth evidence for their claims.

>But where is your proof that consciousness exists only in the brain?

Based on all available scientific evidence, fMRI data, all we know about brain damage and comas and everything else, that is clearly the logical conclusion. You need to provide very compelling evidence that consciousness exists without a brain, because that argument goes against all known evidence. You have so far provided zero evidence to the contrary. Literally zero.

The scientific view is god's existence needs to be proven before it is to be believed. So far no such evidence exists.

While no such evidence exists,that prove god is real, there are plenty of religious texts that act as a type path to what ever version of person someone may want to become.

Some of is i straight BS, but don't discount history's teaching cause some of it isn't up to par.

someone who thinks consciouness exists outside the brain and then gives an example of running on a computer program is not worth debating.

If you genuinely beleive that, scrape up all the evidence u can find, write a paper, get it peer reviewed and win a Nobel price

If a belief in "something" that is not provable by science, keeps some of the masses from doing bad shit, gives them hope to get through bad times. Acts as a placebo effect in healing just from the deluded hope. Is it really a bad thing?

Yep. People who believe absurdities can be made to commit atrocities. We should promote logical, evidence-based thinking wherever possible, not dogmatism.

Basically, religion is a Made up shit to control population in the Middle ages

makes them hit buildings with airplanes, exterminate people they don't agree with, deprive women of sexual pleasure by cutting part of their genitals off.
Is it really a bad thing?

It also causes some of the masses to do bad shit and acts as a nocebo.

First world muslums don't do that shit. Think it might be the conditions of the government that is supposed to keep them in check. Like Gangs in LA or any where else in the world. Take away the balance and wolves come out to play.

yes... its an absolutely terrible thing.

In terms of keeping the masses from doing bad shit, your either faking ignorance or just plain stupid to think religion has done more good than bad

Gives them hope to get through bad times. This develops as a dangerous placebo. God saved me from that depressing time, god must be real, im going to let religion dictate my life and impose it on other including vunrable children. This may seem far fetched but it happens to nearly all children with religious parents.

Acts as a placebo effect in healing the deluded. Yes scamming ill vunrable people is a terrible thing. If half of them spent their time educating themselves on science and biology rather than hoping someone will heal them with a click of the fingers, maybe they wouldnt get half as ill and go see an actual doctor

Rant over, religion is evil

First world Muslims campaign against free speech and enable the "third world" Muslims.

Radical religion is protected and nurtured by moderate religion.

Yes they do. In fact, when you correct for education, support for terrorism actually goes up for muslims. The majority of the 911 terrorists went to college, moreso than the general US population (only 52% of Americans are college-educated).

Absolutely true. But what if "something" occurred that absolutely eliminated all proof of "God". What would happen to the common man? All those who put all their time, life into believing, just to be proven it was nothing. Sure, the intelligent, logical individuals would stay focused, and go about their lives. You know there there would. Be mass chaos on a global scale.

I love how you go to the internet to confirm. Still haven't quite figured out how to think for yourself, eh? Good doggy, good boy

>the common man
The common man doesn't put all their life into believing. Belief is just another aspect in the background of life, more relevant for social activities than anything else.

Replace churches with secular gatherings and you've pretty much gotten back to where you were.

I don't think such proof can possibly exist. The truly religious can simply claim any proof was created by the devil to fool us or some other nonsense.

Mass chaos? On a smaller scale, think about humanity's perceived role in the universe. At one time, people believed earth was literally the center of the universe. Now we accept we are on a shitty, small rock in an unimportant galaxy, nothing special about it. With time, people can accept the truth without "mass chaos"

Just opening a discussion. Not proselytizing any side or agenda.

lol
you're delusional
the 9/11 hijackers were teachers and architects and law students, licensed pilots, etc etc
you clearly don't know what you're talking about

you cant eliminate nothing. I dont god will ever be disproved in terms of religion. Religions will always warp their religious texts around actual facts.

For example now that we know evolution is real. Adam and eve was just a metaphor to teach people about the right morals to have. Evolution is real but god helped it on its way.

These people will desperatly twist there fairytale to try and prove to themselves that it cant be fake. Pure brainwashing

Eh, I'll bite the bait. Just what are you gonna do about me running my mouth?

Um, because it's what people do instead of walking around and taking a poll? wtf.

>>discussing ideas is bad
you must be religious

Well I said I wasn't going to feed (You)s but here I go

The consciousness of the individual (ie his ability to think I am me) doesn't disappear if he's still able to think
Once he loses the ability to think obviously it goes away, but we can't know if this is because his consciousness disappears or if its means of expressing itself disappears and it does not

Consciousness is the ability to be self aware, ths style of Descartes cogito
Perhaps if a person changes you could say his consciousness is a different one, but it entirely depends on his own ability of being self aware, which an observer can not know

My claim is that we have no proof for nor against a brain that is responsible for consciousness, however I believe it is something that can't be reduced to the absolute materiality of connections in the brain, else we'd just as well be walking robots

None of the things you cited actually treat the question of consciousness, rather they treat the ability of the brain to process information
And why would I need to provide evidence when I'm simply contesting arguments, and not actually trying to say that one answer is the correct one?

I provide one potential example that you misunderstand and I'm "not worth debating"
Smells like reddit

Only one who actually argued in a proper manner was this guy and

>>My claim is that we have no proof for nor against a brain that is responsible for consciousness

correct

>>however I believe it is something that can't be reduced to the absolute materiality of connections in the brain, else we'd just as well be walking robots

lol, you were the one claiming to be able to engage in critical thinking?

>>i don't like it, therefore it can't be true

you're right, it's better if you stop posting

There are many. And not taking about devoutly religious, who always have that, subconscious God think in their minds. Scary to think. But this is what keeps John Q Public from doing some bad, illegal shit. "Damn, my daughter looks so hot. Nope, God." "Fuck, I can't deal with this fucking ass boss and job anymore, that's it, I'm going to..."
Nope. God.

>I provide one potential example that you misunderstand and I'm "not worth debating"

Thats right. Sometimes an idea can be so stupid its not worth engaging.

What you said about how our conscienceless could be part of a computer program or something, isnt even a hypothesis, its simply a stupid idea.

Its like someone telling you the earth is 6000 years old because the book of genasis says so. Sometimes people just arnt worth arguing against

Then there is this
>Submit to your husbands': Women told to endure domestic violence in the name of God
>Research shows that the men most likely to abuse their wives are evangelical Christians who attend church sporadically
I have the full article if you want, it's from Australia

everyone who doesn't agree with me is an infidel who must be exterminated

Wasn't the point gomer.

That's a lot of condescension coming from someone with no arguments who can't even greentext kek

If consciousness only comes from the brain, and the brain is simply a series of connections of 1s and 0s, why can consciousness not be a computer program? You're contradicting your own argument

>Consciousness is the ability to be self aware
So consciousness is just an attribute of an individual?
>which an observer can not know
This starts getting "out there" but I'm not convinced that the "self" can really know either. Perhaps instead of "I think, therefore I am" it should be "Something thinks, therefore something is". This gets into old philosophical issues like the ship of theseus.
>else we'd just as well be walking robots
Not who you were responding to here, but what if that's effectively what we are? What if we are essentially biological robots, just made of flesh and blood instead of metal and silicon?

>having an intellectual discussion on Sup Forums

Honestly, this famalam. The only problem is that I like to believe in reincarnation because I like to think that SOMETHING can redeem this shitty life I got.

What about schizophrenics with dissociative disorders? They don't even know who they are.
Is someone who is not able to be self-aware, have a conscious?

i was making a counterpoint to your "religion makes people do good things"

swoooooshhhhhh

This was originally gonna be a reply in a religious thread, but its a little off topic so its now it's own thing.
There can't be "something from nothing."
Its either "something" has always existed or never existed.
We're missing something here. We're missing a lot of things. There are probably hundreds of senses we could have to amplify our existence in this universe and we just can't comprehend them.
Heres a question, why does life try so hard to continue existing? What compels us to survive? Its safe to assume fearing death is some genetic trait that most life shares, perhaps, and life's attempt at existing owes itself to that random, biological hiccup.
But some lifeforms aren't capable of comprehending the idea of death, so perhaps its the insatiable urge to reproduce, grow, and multiply, which is also presumably genetic.
I wish I could see the bigger picture.

Whoops accidentally posted it here, fuck, well there you go guys a slightly off topic thing

reading comprehension problems, huh?
everything was greentexted correctly
and saying "I want to believe this because the other options I don't like" is the least "critical thinking" possible

GOD IS REAL!!!! READ A BIBLE! GOD IS REAL!!!! READ A BIBLE! GOD IS REAL!!!! READ A BIBLE! GOD IS REAL!!!! READ A BIBLE! GOD IS REAL!!!! READ A BIBLE! GOD IS REAL!!!! READ A BIBLE! GOD IS REAL!!!! READ A BIBLE!

>Its either "something" has always existed or never existed.
Since something observably exists, it always existed.
>Heres a question, why does life try so hard to continue existing?
Because life that didn't try hard to continue existing went extinct. Evolution selects for organisms that try to survive.

Yes.

I know for a fact I'm more than just a material object since I'm aware that I exist, meaning I must also be a thought process (or consciousness) unique to itself
>instead of "I think, therefore I am" it should be "Something thinks, therefore something is"
This is wrong since I can only be certain of my own self awareness, and can be certain of no one else's. This goes for others who are self aware, it only works for yourself since it's your own thought process

I don't really know how you define robot so I'm not going to address the last question

That's an interesting question but if they're unable to even realise they exist then arguably they do not have a conscious

>mfw seminary is one of the main sources of atheists
ayy lmao

Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven. Read the Bible. Believe, be baptized, repent. Turn from your sins. God will reward you beyond your wildest dreams. And that's merely a preview of what God promises believers will experience after life.

You know that emptiness you feel user? When, no matter what you do in life, it's never enough?

Everything of this world is a carrot on a stick and a trap. You can only find fulfillment in God and you can only get to God via Jesus Christ.

I have a line via prayer to the creator of the universe and all things. It's quite a privilege.

newfag kek

also when none of the options can be proven anyone's entitled to choose whatever they believe to be correct, so long as they're aware it's not proven

Yip

I think getting raped in a prison shower by niggers then spending the next 5-10 years in "protective custody" is what is keeping that guy in your example from fucking his kid not God.