Did Sup Forums like this movie? I thought it was pretty good

Did Sup Forums like this movie? I thought it was pretty good.

I don't know. Did I like it? You have to tell me.

It was fedora. The sisters are even wearing period accurate missionary hats and using western items like cloaks and pipes.

I would totally go blind and see the truth and party with the moon king

>It was fedora
what

It's euphoric

Best movie I've seen in theaters in years.
And one of my favorite western animated pictures.
Its the best movie Disney never made

The animation was beautiful, but I found all of it very predictable. A lot of "oh so that means that" moments that get confirmed later on in the movie. I don't think Charlize Theron's performance was very good, she may not be cut out for voice acting, who knows. Everything felt a little rushed in the second half, I feel a lot of scenes needed to be a little longer to really get their points across more effectively. But as far as family films go it's one I'd would be more likely to take my kids to see than the standard Disney or DreamWorks fare. 6/10. Fun for the whole family.

Its humor was really poorly placed, even for children.
Horrible selection of voice actors. Some really badly written dialogue.
A shit load of plot conveniences that wouldn't be a problem (it's a kids movie) if they didn't so obviously rush the audience through interesting parts of the movie just to get to more scenes of Charlize Theron failing at doing a sarcastic character and McConaughey failing at doing a funny character.

None of the jokes really hit for anyone over 13 in the theatre as far as I could tell. I also feel it didn't really have a sense of scope or time passing. I felt like scenes and locations just kind of stopped and started. Like at the end of the film it just kinda jumps back to where the movie started for a really flimsy reason. I think it was supposed to feel like a fantasy adventure, but it didn't feel like it at all.

>A lot of "oh so that means that" moments that get confirmed later on in the movie

This was one of my bigger issues with the film.

It was really easy to call things like the monkey/beetle being the parents or the blind dream man being the moon king.The overall story structure doesn't do anything super interesting I thought the ending was too cheesy and not in a cool/interesting way.

It made up for it by having good animation, a great soundtrack and some ok characters, but the plot needed work. A shame cause I really liked the plot in a lot of Laika's earlier work.

The first big one for me was He can't summon his dad's spirit in the lamp so that means his dad isn't dead So when the twists do happen mostly really close together it's just kinda like "yeah I figured that out an hour ago" But hey, i'd still say I liked it more than I didn't. As far as movies for kids go it has more going for it than most. The big action scenes were all pretty great.

Does anyone else think that Kubo is going to have alzheimer'swhen he grows up?
I seriously don't understand why his mom suddenly remembers things and his dad and grandpa forgot things.

>Kubo and the Degenerative Nervous System Disease
Would've been a better movie if you ask me.

I thought that's what they were implying with the mother in the beginning but it's never elaborated on and with his dad/granddad it was magic bullshit so I dunno.

Beautiful movie but boring at times.

Top 10 film of 2016

I agree but rethibkibg it I actually really liked the ending. The movie is about the power of oral tradition and I liked how the hero weilds the weopons of his father clumsily and ineffectively but he uses his magical instrument with success through the power of story telling

Stories can entertain they can honor the dead and they can even turn a vinductive old man into a benign citizen

I thought it was awesome. My only gripe was two things.

1. The Twists: The twist with Kubo's parents was pretty dumb and unnecessary. You could have continued the movie the way it was without the twists and I think it would have been better

2. The Moon King: He had such great fucking build up, and his true form was pretty lackluster. To be honest, familia, I thought The Moon King should have had multiple forms that he'd shape shift into, Kinda like Aku. His punishment was unexpected and I didn't know what to think of it either.

Everything else was so good.

When you put it that way it does justify the ending a bit more. I just wish it didn't feel like another "hero saves the day with the power of love/compassion/empathy/etc. via magic" ending.

>it's another 'beautiful art, animation and soundtrack but shit writing' episode

Why do they go all out for visuals/audio but not the element that brings it all together? Is good writing that much more abstract of a concept than art style or music?

Idk the little indian kid sitting right behind me was laughing his ass off thru the whole thing

>Is good writing that much more abstract of a concept than art style or music?

If I were to speculate studios that focus more on animation might hires less/worse writers since the movie is determined more by the artists then it is by the script. Maybe?

It doesn't explain why I thought ParaNorman and Coraline was better written (although Coraline was based on a book)

>The Moon King should have had multiple forms that he'd shape shift into
I thought for sure he'd shift into all the monsters that Kubo created during his stories (giant spider, even fire-breathing chicken) could have been neat.

I didn't realize this till now.

It's heavily implied that her mom can't function quite well during the day but at night she "wakes up" much like her sisters and grandfather.

I always thought it was a side effect of the head wound she got when Kubo was a baby. She seemed to be mentally sound as a monkey, so I figured it was her body being busted.

I want to fug Monkey.

No, the sisters are dressed like Koreans.

I thought beetle was fine. The movie needed chuckles, not gut busting gags, and Beetle delivered the chuckles.

That would make sense actually

Don't we all?

I was really enjoying the movie up up to when they found the armor. It just moves so fast after that though. I think the movie could have taken it's time a bit more but I understand that it would have loaded the budget by a lot since it was all stop motion.

why would Sup Forums have watched this movie?