Learning music theory to get more out of music

So i'm 19, never played instrument and never learned music theory. I mainly listen techno, ambient, hip hop, post rock and different sorts of electronic music. I have tried to listen jazz and progressive rock but i feel like i cant fully appreciate it.
Does learning music theory really make a difference to listening experience?
Is musictheory.net/lessons good place to learn it?
IS that enough to make me appreciate jazz or prog?
It would be nice to hear any personal experiences about topic.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/90sTechnoQuotes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Im also interesred to learn theory but im too lazy to do it. Am i really missing anything?

Just learning theory on paper won't really change the way you listen to music very much. If you apply it to an instrument, that will help a lot more.

Is MIDI controller with piano plugin good way to practice?

>Does learning music theory really make a difference to listening experience?

Yes. Knowledge does change your perception and appreciation of music. If you know what, for example, dissonance is, or what modulation is, then you can better pick it out of a piece of music and its effects will resonate with you better.

Knowing theory means nothing. you can bait people on my better that's about it. Just have fun learning an instrument and the theory will be a natural process in that

>Baiting people
Hardly on Sup Forums, given that the majority doesn't have the first clue about it. If some responses I've seen are genuine, people here see music theory is a recipe that needs to be followed.

Music theory is gay as fuck dude. Just learn an instrument and you figure the shit out naturally. Most of it's really simple self explanatory shit honestly. If you really wanna learn theory just learn about time signatures, a bit about chords with some special attention on minor chords and their importance and learn how an eq works, learn the importance of filling every frequency on a track aka (bass, chords, lead)=(lows, mids, highs)

Those 3 things will save you a lot of time down the track. That's my advice, goodbye

>Music theory is gay as fuck dude
You're clearly not serious. Thanks for at least admitting it.

Hahahahahahahahahaha literally triggered by music theory

This is like asking if learning to spell makes alphabet spaghetti taste better, the answer is no

Awww user never learned how to spell :c

No, it's more like learning what ingredients are in a certain food help you notice things in the taste better and help you appreciate it more.

Also what food fan would just refuse to learn anything about cooking? What music fan would refuse to learn anything about how music is made? They don't have to be a super knowledgeable professional chef or musician, but certainly you'd want to learn more about it, right? It just doesn't make sense to me.

There's no point in learning theory if you aren't going to use it. Learn it as you need it. Most of it is irrelevant and completely impractical anyway. Or actually do whatever you want I really don't care

Also if anything learning theory has only made music less enjoyable for me same with making music. you become more of a conscious listener, constantly trying to figure out how people mixed their drums and what they recorded with is tiresome. I'm honestly at the stage where the only time I even listen to music that isn't my own is when I'm stealing chords, ideas, arrangements or trying to replicate a mix.

Yes, that's fine.

>Also if anything learning theory has only made music less enjoyable for me

That sounds like you just not liking music. I like that I'm a more conscious listener. It helps me appreciate the complexity of more innovative music, and knowing all the "tricks," how artists play with the rules, just makes it more thrilling to me. In a similar way, knowing a little about film making and film language helps me appreciate movies more. I'm sorry it ruined music for you, but I just can't sympathize at all.

Hahaha you sound like a loser

as someone who's started to dig into music theory recently, it'll help you make music and identify the techniques, but they'll sound just as good as before

>There's no point in learning theory if you aren't going to use it
If you listen to music then you are using it.

>constantly trying to figure out how people mixed their drums and what they recorded with is tiresome
>confuses production with music theory
>being this clueless

>using theory to listen to music
Hahahahahahahah where I'm from we call that autism

>confuses production with music theory
>Misses the part where I said making music in general
Hahahahahahahah wow you really are plen, more plen than I could have even conceived without some form of theoritical based study to guide me in this realisation

>Hahahahahahahah where I'm from we call that autism
>understanding things is autistic
>calling others plebs

>talks about how music theory makes music less enjoyable
>only example given has nothing to do with music theory
>pretends that he doesn't know the difference between two different fields
That damage control.

Dude I would beat you silly if you ever said any of that shit to my face, I hope you know that kid

>actually bothering to learn music theory

must suck being naturally untalented

No. It may help if u play but then again i dont know what its like not to. Theory helps for playing not fagging like you

Learning music theory makes it quicker for you to create what you want, gives you a larger palette/vocabulary, and makes it so much easier to communicate ideas with other musicians (as long as they know it too).

Sure, you can learn without it, but you'll be missing out on a lot.

Conversely, if you focus too heavily on music theory and become a prescriptivist, you'll be missing out on a lot too.

It really depends on what you want to create/perform and which instrument(s) you use.

If you're still triggered by this discussion from either side, you should probably learn about logical fallacies too. It might sound condescending, but honestly, I think it'll take a lot of stress away from your life.

>I mainly listen techno, ambient, hip hop, post rock and different sorts of electronic music
so you listen to music that doesn't follow functional harmony at all?

whats the point of learning music theory then?

twitter.com/90sTechnoQuotes