ITT: Bands with amazing sonic evolution

ITT: Bands with amazing sonic evolution.

I don't ever care if they're even good or not, just bands where if you listened to their first album and their last album without knowing who they are you wouldn't know it was the same band/artist.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i336OSjX0lc
youtube.com/watch?v=vAn8SU1-Ui4
youtube.com/watch?v=M3Ubctz2ywA
youtube.com/watch?v=5aa8Sry5u7w
youtube.com/watch?v=kIyb88v3My0
youtube.com/watch?v=VQn2EQCuPVM
youtube.com/watch?v=IsohacPK7W0
youtube.com/watch?v=Lg2CaurXsDs
youtube.com/watch?v=mTsx3zBjwYY
youtube.com/watch?v=rG8p0JHmqYc
youtube.com/watch?v=-_gGeVPla-A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well, you're not technically wrong.

The band that did "Creep"

Maybe not their first and last, but if you told me the guys that made Pure Guava also made White Pepper I wouldn't believe you

You know it to be true

>they could have been the next Beatles, if they were smarter

I like them but thats just wrong

Hey, you can deny an explosion of talent and maturity since Blink-182

Also, for some reason, their early songs remind me of Pet Sounds

Ulver of course.

mbv

>bands that succumb to trends and marketing ploys, the thread

Black Sabbath

Ah, yes, because Revolution 9 was part of the sound collage trend amongst all the 68 teeny boppers.

I could've just as easily posted Zappa or Waits.

this

Also Animal Collective

Which marketing ploy?

Bands followed The Beatles trends.

muh acid was literally every album in 1968. any original psychedelic band peaked in 1967 anyway

Revolution 9 wasn't exactly like the generic muh acid though. And since Tomorrow Never Knows came out in 66 I guess your point is moot by your own reasoning?

>Who are the Zombies

The band Oceana made a really cool transition, . Used to be metal core, they're shit now making synth oriented music and have a different name, but there was a nugget of great music made on their EP mid transition.

>First Album (metalcore)
youtube.com/watch?v=i336OSjX0lc

>Transitional period (rock music with a fantastic temperament)
youtube.com/watch?v=vAn8SU1-Ui4

I've posted the "transition song" here before but I never get replies. I don't know if its because this board is super dismissive of old metalcore bands or what but someone should give this a shot, it's a good jam.

with exception of the beatles, and the zombies, who were literally

>marketing, the band

anyway

The fuck happened?!?

>The Zombies
What are you referencing here?

why has nobody posted this yet

Ulver is a good one

Deftones went from angsty nu-metal to shoegazey alt-metal to djenty chug chug metal and all of it is good.

>Djenty chug chug metal
Kek

>all of it is good.

name a bad Deftones album

Most good bands r like this

Guys fucking Nirvana
By the end they reached the perfect mix of all of the things they were trying to say

This fucking band right here. The remastered version of pic related is god-tier

Why is beatles style songwriting dead?

And by that I mean, pop music with modulation, out of key chords, tempo changes, etc etc etc

Obviously this applies to a lot of pop music of Beatles time, but it seems that a lot of pop is groove based. By that I mean, stay in one key and pretty much remains there, plays the same riff over and over.

I just mean in a pop music context btw, I'm aware that more niche genres like prog stuff and metal will have more complex writing.

Tyler, The Creator

In normal language groove based describes funk but i guess you special

>Describes funk hurr durr

You obviously aren't aware that a "groove" can be multiple things. Have you ever heard of a band "getting into a groove"? That's what I mean. REPETITION. Will that suffice or do you need to be more autistic about words?

Black flag changed alot

Have you ever heard of not being a social retard and knowing what terms mean in general culture? Are you black?

Out of interest what du like thats not groove based by your definition

Stereolab definitely.
>lo-fi noise pop --> krautrock meets TVU meets france --> electronic lounge future music --> electronic jazz future music --> stripped-back dual-mono indie pop --> lush playful art pop

Ulver completely changed genres at least a dozen times

youtube.com/watch?v=M3Ubctz2ywA

youtube.com/watch?v=5aa8Sry5u7w

youtube.com/watch?v=kIyb88v3My0

youtube.com/watch?v=VQn2EQCuPVM

youtube.com/watch?v=IsohacPK7W0

youtube.com/watch?v=Lg2CaurXsDs

youtube.com/watch?v=mTsx3zBjwYY

youtube.com/watch?v=rG8p0JHmqYc

youtube.com/watch?v=-_gGeVPla-A

>any original psychedelic band peaked in 1967 anyway
nice blanket statement moron.
>Silver Apples
>OTC

you should have said it is rhythmically focused, or focused on repetition of simple melodies, then. most pop is not based on grooves.

>>Who are the Zombies

>The Zombies
>Marketing: the band
Listen to Odessey and Oracle. The songs have some super unusual themes for the era.

From a broader ethnomusicological perspective, groove has been described as "an unspecifiable but ordered sense of something that is sustained in a distinctive, regular and attractive way, working to draw the listener in."[2] Musicologists and other scholars have analyzed the concept of "groove" since around the 1990s. They have argued that a "groove" is an "understanding of rhythmic patterning" or "feel" and "an intuitive sense" of "a cycle in motion" that emerges from "carefully aligned concurrent rhythmic patterns"

Apparently pop music of today, which is mostly dance music, is not based on grooves :-)