NIN

youtube.com/watch?v=gDV-dOvqKzQ

So, new song from an upcoming EP called "Add Violence", apparently the second EP is a set of three following " Not The Actual Events"

>actually catchy
>clearly reminiscent of With Teeth
>directly shit talks the alt-right internet/video games shut in generation both in the video and in the lyrics

Uh-oh, Sup Forums is gonna hate this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O4H5h-oHvuo
youtube.com/watch?v=5mTun3BKNx0
youtube.com/watch?v=K-i4k3tRb3k
youtube.com/watch?v=sSLqeZzTU8I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hvwll art

Reznor shit talked every administration since he got sober and realized politics existed though.

>implying it isn't nu/pol/ kiddies that set up shop here throwing a fit about any left leaning politics.

With Obama it was more along the lines of "i believed in you and you didn't do jack shit", compared to flat out shit talking like he did with G.W.

With Trump what he's doing here is directly attacking the demographic that elected him, instead of Trump himself.

He said Obama did more to make Year Zero a reality then Bush ever did.

I PUSHED THE BUTTON AND ELECTED HIM TO OFFICE, AND
HE PUSHED THE BUTTON AND HE DROPPED THE BOMB
YOU PUSHED THE BUTTON AND COULD WATCH IT ON THE TELEVISION
THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS DIDN'T LAST TOO LONG

That might be true, but it's not what he had in mind when he made YZ, it's essentially an observation he made afterwards, i'm strictly talking on the opinions he expressed when making the tracks themselves at the time they were made.

The only post-Obama song he made that directly critiques Obama himself and his performance in the office is "Disappointed" from HM.

>video games shut in generation

TR's a huge vidya nerd himself, the video is just an attempt to ride the (thankfully) dying 80's synthpop faggotry

>TR's a huge vidya nerd himself
You don't get it.
It's not about video games themselves.

this is what liberals actually believe

i dont like shoulda-voted-hillary-trent. i much prefer satans-in-my-head-trent.

It's just not a very good song. I'm a huge Trent/NIN fan but there's nothing interesting or new in NIN anymore. This is a tarted up version of Copy of A with heavier guitars. It's so obviously a standard issue "let's get a single out there to drum up some interest for a tour where we'll make out real money". There hasn't been anything musically interesting since The Slip.

>he fell asleep before ntae

>There hasn't been anything musically interesting since The Slip.
>The Slip
Hesitation Marks and NTAE and fuck it, this new single all are more interesting than The Slip

"She's Gone Away" was a little too much on the nose, I admit.

>It's just not a very good song. I'm a huge Trent/NIN fan

If i had a nickel for every time i've read this shit i'd be rich.
It's been going on since With Teeth and i'm sure there were already people saying this shit since TDS being purists about PHM back in the day.
The world is full of "i'm a NIN fan but i only like X thing from NIN", it's such a stereotype by now.

I love Nice is Neat!

This "I am a huge Trent fan for this much years" means shit, it's like they think their argument someohow has more credibility and is more true.

6 more days!

why are nin fans such fags

>Still
>5
C'mon man, Leaving Hope, And All That Could Have Been are some of the best NIN songs, Something I Can Never Have is much better than PHM version.
I always loved Still

>still
>i'll do better next time

I'll

Fucking

Murder

You

spiral, fragile, and still are great. but this new single sucks. sorry, but i dont want to listen to political commentary from someone who literally tried to kill himself, and musically it sounds like more candy laptop bullshit.

THIS IS A TRENT REZNOR SONG

nine inch nails > the nine inch nails

woah there fuck off

SAY THAT TO MY FACE NOT ONLINE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

FUCKING PLEB PIECE OF SHIT
NINE INCH NAILS IS SHIT, THE NINE INCH NAILS BEATS IT UP

ARE YOU LESS THAN?

>but i dont want to listen to political commentary from someone who literally tried to kill himself

Isn't that Sup Forums as a whole tho?

This is the most reddit thing I've ever seen.

Trent was making political commentatory ever since Head Like A Hole came out, haha

You're welcome.

i always figured that song was about record companies. but whatever it is, i never much liked it anyway, the chorus is too anthemy. and it feels insinscere when i see 80$ records in the nin.com store.

Head Like A Hole is againts greed. Broken was about a record company, entirety of it really.

holy fucking shit you're stupid

Listen to the zane lowe interview from release day faggot.

good. it's about time an actual man called them out. I'm getting sick of the whole "nu-male vs. alt-right nu male" thing

>PHM 8
>Broken 9
>Still 5
FUCK OFF

i couldnt finish the video it was so cringey, and also that album cover is so fuckin ridiculous. more like amplify cringe LMAO

>I keep up with music I don't like
hello neet

>LMAO
cringe

LMSHO exactly

3/10

AMPLIFY CHAOS

ADVANCED SELF AWARENESS

ANXIETY

ADD VIOLENCE

Overall i like the track, if i had to move some criticism is that it's too much on the nose on certain things.

>Shut up

Reference to the same line in "Down In It", contained in PHM.

>Welcome oblivion

Directly referencing the HTDA album by the same name.

>Now look what you've gone and done

Reference to the same line in "Copy Of A" from HM.

Trent will sometimes reference his other works in his songs and/or put recurring lyrics in many of his songs ("nothing can stop me now" being the most common and overused line he was obsessed with for years), but the references in this song are REALLY heavy handed, they're so blatant they end up feeling really clumsy.

You're obviously baiting but the cover is indeed cringy. If this shit was on the front of some Nu-Metal band's record this board would've already turned it into a meme.

there's autistic reznor fanboys on pretty much every forum on the internet. i love nin and most of his albums but the hero worship and borderline waifu faggotry from some of his fans is pretty embarassing

is it the actual cover for the ep or just the single?

Probably the entire EP, due to the fact that pre-ordering the EP is greeted by this same cover.

I think it's okay cover.

It's the cover of the vinyl.
The EP itself has this as it's digital cover.
Also comes with a "physical component", whatever the fuck that means.

Reznor is better than most of waifus t b h

This guy gets it.

EP.

I mean, it's not "cringey", it's just a bit cheesy. Just a representation of "mechanisms of anxiety" or something like that.

I'm not getting that this is all about Trump. I think it's the whole political climate. "Offend, pretend... demand my compliance". Obviously about triggered SJW snowflakes.

It's also about the increasing demand for tech fucking up humanity. Like, where the fuck is it going to all end?

In "did it fix what was wrong with you? are you less than?" He's saying "We got all of this tech and shit that we thought would improve humanity, but look at us. We're less than we could be.

I’ve never listened to Nine Inch Nails.
They were the Animorphs’ favorite band.

>it's about time an actual man called them out.

>Trent Reznor
>an actual man

Lmao.
Reznor's entire motivation for his music career is still that one time girls laughed at him in junior high.

I think I'm gay

And look at him now. He can fuck whoever he wants.

>I'm not getting that this is all about Trump.

C'mon man, let's get real here.

>So what are you waiting for?
>You got what you asked for
>Did it fix what was wrong with you?

>Needful
>Too many fucking people

The person in the video is a video game addicted shut in that lives off technology and is completely withdrawn from society.
Trent is not singing about neets, or that video games are bad, Trent has been an important part of video game history himself, musically, and understands tecnhology, his presence online was pretty strong ever since the earliest days.

Trent here is SPECIFICALLY singing about the alt-right generation.
Completely soaked in nihilism, cynism, dank memes and hiding behind multiple layers of irony and alienation to mask their insecurities and the fact that they're fundamentally broken human beings.
Using video games, anime and other forms of media as escapism from a reality they deem as degenerate.

>You got what you asked for
>Did it fix what was wrong with you?

>"You got Trump elected"
>Are you happy yet? Why do you still feel miserable? Are you actually ignoring what's wrong inside yourself? Are you just running away from what's fundamentally broken inside you as a person?

>girls laughed at him in junior high

Look man, you're on Sup Forums, that's pretty ironic and makes you a complete fucking hypocrite.

>The person in the video is a video game addicted shut in that lives off technology and is completely withdrawn from society.

No man, you are getting this all wrong.
This isn't about neets, look up Polybius, the game that is being played by the woman, in short it is a myth, an arcade game apparently set up by the goverment.
The game was said to be full of subliminal messages, notice how the music video itself has hidden text in it "I can't seem to wake up".
The woman is being controlled by the machine, notice how at the end, her eyes are bleak, she is LITERALLY blind by the mind controlling machine.

You're misunderstanding the Polybius thing.
It's just a reference, it's not the main focus of the video/track.
Yes, she is being brainwashed because it's Polybius, but it's a metaphor for shut ins losing themselves in video games, it's not meant to be taken literally.

I did not take in literally, Polybius is a metaphor for something else. I think there is a huge part we are missing, this isn't the entire picture.
These EPs are a trilogy, they are forming a narrative.
Lses Than seem to be much more a contiunation of "Dear World" from NTAE

Just look at these lyrics

"Focus? We didn't even notice, we awake in a place we can barely recongize, yeah, hypnosis"

To.
" Hey look, you didn't even notice
You couldn't even tell
Just when it started happening
Maybe just as well
After all, everything is getting unfamiliar now
Trajectory in decline
And we become obsolete
A frame at a time"

It seems like Less Than is from a different perspective of Dear World or something.

Well, it's not like the two things can't coexist.

This track can be part of a bigger ongoing narrative that will probably span all three EPs, but at the same time it's also a political track in it's own right.
The strong technology themes were also in YZ, and YZ it's NIN most political album, so it still makes sense.

Is this the worst NIN cover ever?

You're being a whiny little cunt.
Also if we're on the subject, i still consider With Teeth to have the most boring generic cover ever.

Especially if you compare it to the prototype artwork that it had when it was still in production and called "bleedtrough".
(some of that artwork has been conceptually reused in the cover of "Not The Actual Events")

And yet somehow he has still remained an angsty, emotionally stunted goon.

Get over it.

>angsty
Literally listen to anything from HM.

That is true, but I don't think Trent tried to send that specific message, you can make an argument it targets both lefta nd right "Offend and pretend and defend and demand my compliance" sounds too sensetive. I don't think Trent would attack purely one side.
Year Zero wasn't purely an attack againts the goverment either, it critized the side that "fought" it as well. Which is why everyone was wiped the fuck out with Zero-Sum because everyone was to be blamed. That is actually, well, how I intepreted the record.

Pic related, no.

Unremastered cover art of Pretty Hate Machine has aged poorly.

Ruh-roh, better start liking derivative pop industrial with cock rock vocals and sub Linkin Park-tier lyrics in order to not get lumped with Sup Forums and the alt-right!

Sup Forums has pretty shitty and memey taste in music desu.

Damn these buzzwords.

>add a little violence and offend and pretend and defend and demand my compliance.
>You have to take care of yourself. You know I've got my hands full.
>You got what you asked for. Did it fix what was wrong with you?

notice the you's and the I's. the listener is the one that thinks he/she is broken and blames and attacks the speaker. the speaker is the one that supports and complies, but can't satisfy the listener because the listener is misguided or hypnotized into thinking he/she needs what they need when in reality they are brainwashed.

the listener could be a sjw/snowflake or an alt-right person who have driven compliance of the majority. win or lose the government always manages to keep us unsatisfied. meanwhile its all a distraction so that the people who really pull the strings can wage their wars without that being the central election issue.
>Focus. We didn't even notice.
>The missile trails across the sky again.

i think the criticism extends to all of the voters and activists of both sides.

This, it's attacking both sides, just like Year Zero was.
Trent sure as fuck knows about antifa shit and I doubt he is okay with it, or Sup Forums types.
Being left or right isn't wrong, none of them are right or wrong, what is wrong is being extremist of that side, they're both harmful and leads to petty arguments, generalizations and unecesarry violence.

It's definitely up there with the original Pretty Hate Machine cover, and With Teeth's.

Childish in comparison with Spirit

>hey fuck you buildings

i chuckled

weird guitar

really made me think

Why do people think Trent gets pissed at parodies, anyway?
Remember that WKUK skit?

youtube.com/watch?v=O4H5h-oHvuo

Where does he get this reputation of being "sensitive" and having a bad temper?
The only people he's consinstently gotten mad at over the years are his own fans, not really his detractors/parody acts.

>Where does he get this reputation of being "sensitive" and having a bad temper?

>Makes angry music
>Is bad at keeping his mouth shut, so his anger comes out more than any positive thoughts

>not really his detractors
He said Pitchfork were "still cunts" after giving The Fragile's reissue a much higher score than the gave the original release. Granted, Pitchfork are definitely cunts.

>Stephanie
>not Annie

fucking plebs

dude doesn't act like fucboi-era Trent anyway

It was made after Pretty Hate Machine not after Broken or The Downward Spiral

>dead Sublime dude joke
>before Broken or TDS

>dead Sublime dude joke
Pretty Hate Machine is his easily most "whiniest" record.

Did people really see PHM as angsty and whiny?
All i can think about when i hear PHM now is "holy fuck this is catchy as shit".

Head Like a Hole, The Only Time, Terrible Lie, Down in It, Sin, That's What I Get, they're all so fucking catchy.
I mean, i guess Trent is a bit whiny lyrically wise in them, but it barely register to me, the music itself is just so catchy.
Even proto-PHM tracks such as "Twist" are catchy as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=5mTun3BKNx0

I definitely prefer Twist to Ringfinger, it's way better in my opinion.

>Did people really see PHM as angsty and whiny?
Yes, and that's probably my favorite thing about the album. It gets to the point where it's endearing how much Trent sounds like a miserable teenager.
>All i can think about when i hear PHM now is "holy fuck this is catchy as shit".
Holy shit this. I wish NIN didn't abandon their EBM style after PHM. If every NIN song sounded like Sin, I would have started going to cybergoth raves.

>Did people really see PHM as angsty and whiny?
>I mean, i guess Trent is a bit whiny lyrically wise in them, but it barely register to me, the music itself is just so catchy.

People who do not care to dwelve deeper into a NIN track only notice the lyrics user, they don't even properly read into lyrics, they just realize that it is Trent speaking againts his own issues and that is enough for people to see it as whiny

I agree with you though, Pretty Hate Machine may be my least favorite NIN record (Worst nin record is still above 7/10 btw) but its catchiness cannot be ignored

>Where does he get this reputation of being "sensitive" and having a bad temper?

Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and the way he dressed during the 90s.

what the fuck, the Purest Feeling I "own" has a totally different Twist. it's the first time I actually heard him say those final lines from the booklet, haha. thanks.

I know what version you're referring to, it basically just "fades off" or something.
This seems to be the full version.

>And the squeaking of the bed is right in time with the song that's repeating in my head
>I just want you to know
>"When I do it, I only think of you"

What is he talking about anyway?
Masturbating?
Why the hell is his bed squeaking while he's masturbating?
Just how much motion is he putting into it, wtf.

Anyway, absolutely no idea where the fuck this full version is actually from, who knows.
NIN is one of the most frustrating bands when it comes to alternate versions of songs.
There's dozens of em and they're all over the place.

youtube.com/watch?v=K-i4k3tRb3k

any man who agrees to appear in a video like this one deserves to be perceived as a bombastic goth clown until the end of time desu

youtube.com/watch?v=sSLqeZzTU8I