Newly minted lawyer here (from a top law school). Procrastinating studying for the bar exam. Ask me anything...

Newly minted lawyer here (from a top law school). Procrastinating studying for the bar exam. Ask me anything, (though I'm not going to go into detail that could identify me).

*I can't give legal advice because I'm not licensed, but can give general answers/info to law questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

thelawyerwhisperer.com/question/i-graduated-from-a-u-s-law-school-but-have-not-taken-a-bar-exam-yet-can-i-call-myself-a-lawyer/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If I'm dating younger girls how do I protect myself against jail bait? How much do I have to ask for ID or whatever to cover my ass?

You're not a lawyer until you pass the bar and get sworn in. Now get back to studying.

Depends on state law. In a lot of places there is nothing you can do that will give you a legal defense. Statutory rape is "strict liability," meaning no matter how careful you are, you're guilty if you have sex with an underage girl. Other states say you're off the hook if your mistake is reasonable, in which case it depends on the circumstances. Context matters (are you in an over 21 bar?) as does what she leads you to believe. but even in those states "she came on to me" is not a defense.

Lawyer here myself

Hundred percent sure you are going to crash and burn in the shark tank. That is if you make it out of the labour market at all

best way to avoid getting in trouble by douchebag cops when leaving a massage parlor? how about when going to visit a hooker?

Not true. See here thelawyerwhisperer.com/question/i-graduated-from-a-u-s-law-school-but-have-not-taken-a-bar-exam-yet-can-i-call-myself-a-lawyer/

And there are many law school grads doing law stuff who are not admitted to the bar, for example many professors and judges. You just can't hold yourself out as someone who can give professional legal advice.

>Lawyer
>Can't spell "labor"

Why do you think that? I do have a job already, BTW. Also I'm in USA.

Questions like this really raise two issues. One is legal, but the other is practical. Cops do a lot of stuff in the real world that isn't actually kosher. So practically, your best bet is to do stuff that doesn't draw suspicion: dress well, be white, don't creep.

Legally, just coming out of a place where cops think illegal shit is going on does not justify a stop or questioning. In that case they can casually ask you questions and you're free to leave, but they can't detain you or force to answer. If you think that's going on you can just politely tell them you don't have anything to say and ask if you're free to go.

tips on getting out of a DUI or at least minimizing the damage.

>Amerifat
>Thinks American English is the only correct one

Totally depends on the state, because DUI laws vary a LOT. But this is an area where finding a good local lawyer can really help. In a lot of states DUI prosecutions (and most traffic violations) are quick and sloppy. Keystone Kops who pull you over do not play by the rules, field sobriety tests are often inadmissible in court, etc. If you demand a trial (which is your legal right) sometimes they just give up or cops don't show to testify. And you have a right to question the lab tech who analyzed your shit, that's a huge pain in the ass for them!
On the other hand a good lawyer may know the local prosecutors and cut a quick sweet deal. Other states have alternatives for first time offenders where you go to AA and do community service and the DUI goes away.

So it depends on circumstances but it' worth asking around. Any good lawyer should give you a free consult and, depending on geography, charge $100-300 per hour. $500 bucks in legal fees is a pain but way better than having a DUI on your record.
How serious was your DUI? Was it the first time?

Just remember, and this is true for all criminal matters (1) the prosecutor is not your fiend (2) you do not have to talk to them.

That you, B.P.?

>Adding unnecessary "u"s into our words
I wouldn't call that correct bud

My initials are not BP

>wasting dubs and trips arguing with someone from a shithole muslim country that won't exist in 25 years.

OP If soemone a wall out of different government signs what could I possibly call themn in for to be a dick

Question unclear. Got dick stuck in ceiling fan. Can you rephrase?

Oi, but that's what you would say if it was, innit boyo?

Fuck my bad on mobile
My neighbor made a garage door out of various signs like yield, speed limit, etc. Is there any thing I could call and get them in trouble for

I didn't choose those dubs and trips, they chose me.

I had a similar experience with the thug life

lol sounds pretty faggy.
If they stole the signs, absolutely. They're government property. Call local police department (you'll probably have more luck calling their listed number, not 911 because it's not an emergency).

If they bought the signs, the place you live might have rules against it. If you live in a suburban subdivision, for example, there are usually rules about aesthetics. Even if not there might be work permit, fire code, or aesthetic issues. Though honestly whether the local government enforces it is a crapshoot. And if you're in like rural Texas or something nobody's gonna give a shit. Again calling your local police could answer some of those questions and it won't cost you anything but your time. At the very least you could get someone to come out and harass them.

I know it sounds faggy the dude is a dick and does shit like that garage door

Best way to go about filing for Bankruptcy? Should i go with a local law firm? any tips?

Just declare it

Time to go ride the trains i hope the conductor doesnt leave

"Top law school" le meme. If it's not an ivy gtfo.

Bankruptcy is a complicated area because the law has been reformed a bunch of times and there are state and federal laws. It's also a REALLY drastic step and stays with you for years. For those two reasons I would find a lawyer.

General advice for finding a lawyer: ads are useless. Rely on word of mouth (ask people for referrals) or stuff like Yelp reviews. A good lawyer will give a free consult.

What kind of debt are you trying to get out of? A lot of debt is not dischargable in bankruptcy, especially student loans. Another general advice: before filing bankruptcy try negotiating with your creditors. I've had success calling banks, hospitals, etc. and getting them to reduce or restructure my debt.

It's an Ivy.