Post bands you hate

Post bands you hate

I hate devo

>haha I sing in a funny voice
>songs about snowballs and boners
>haha we wear funny clothes
>no real content beneath "haha so goofball" exterior

If an annoying 12 year old who does dumb shit like eat worms and dirt for pity laughs was a band, he'd be devo

Mongoloid, he was a mongoloid
Happier than you and me
And it determined what he could see
One chromosome too many
And it determined what he could see

I agree with you
I find people who listen to that shit unbearably cringe

I've only heard one of their songs and it was actually good

Sadly, that's my objection too. Not to mention that they went the synth pop route later. Oingo Boingo at least had substance, until they almost inevitably embraced the synth pop era.

DEVO is awesome. They were discovered by David Bowie, and I'm pretty sure that Bowie has better taste than you.

Just acknowledge obvious reality.

Actually Are We Not Men is a good album.

Other than the "Hardcore" collection, you don't really need any other Devo after that.

Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! [Warner Bros., 1978]

If this isn't Kiss for college kids, then it's Meat Loaf for college kids who are too sophisticated to like Meat Loaf. Aside from music per se, the Kiss connection is in their cartoonishness--Devo's robot moves create distance, a margin of safety, the way Kiss's makeup does. But the Meat Loaf connection is deeper, because this is real midnight-movie stuff--the antihumanist sci-fi silliness, the reveling in decay, the thrill of being in a cult that could attract millions and still seem like a cult, since 200 million others will never even get curious. (It's no surprise to be told that a lot of their ideas come from Eraserhead, but who wants to go see Eraserhead to make sure?) What makes this group worthy of attention at all--and now we're back with Kiss, though at a more complex level--is the catchy, comical, herky-jerky rock and roll they've devised out of the same old basic materials. In small doses it's as good as novelty music ever gets, and there isn't a really bad cut on this album. But it leads nowhere. B+

Oh no!

One of the earliest signs of the generational shift in popular music from boomer idealism to Gen Xer snarkiness (even though they were boomers themselves like all the first wave punk/New Wave groups).

Hey guys, we're from Ohio and we make fun of this place and the cave dwellers in it.

The debut album is one of the best mixed/mastered albums I've ever heard, not gonna lie.

It's so perfectly mixed and mastered it causes no listener fatigue and one of the few albums I revisit regularly.

The guitars have bite but don't dominate the mix, and there's space between everything. I'm usually a fan of huge, loud drums, but the tight snare sound and drum kit is really pleasing to the ear and fits the songs perfectly.

you must be very mature for your age user

And his favorite bands are The New York Dolls and Chuck Berry. What can you expect from a contrarian and a complete hack?

That Devo kicks ass
NEXT shit taste having babies aren't allowed to be elitist

Gerald Casale said on a Reddit AMA, referring to Duty Now For The Future that, "I love the songs, but I don't like what Ken Scott did with the production. He de-balled us."

Buddy, I like them too, but there isn't much substance. It's not like we're talking about Zappa here.

>implying Zappa did anything different from Devo
>implying his whole schtick wasn't the same flavor of "Look at me, I make fun of everyone. Everyone's stupid but me."

Cringe is a verb.
Cringey is an adjective.
Go back to preschool and start over.

>implying his whole schtick wasn't the same flavor of "Look at me, I make fun of everyone. Everyone's stupid but me."
Totally original response right there. I'm sure I haven't seen that one hundreds of times on Sup Forums before. Given that you like Devo, I'm surprised you can't differentiate between humor and satire with or without substance. Not to mention his ridiculous proficiency.

devo are like the residents only less good at it

David Bowie was a turbopleb and his music was shit

Hardly. We still know that Homer Flynn is the one constant and confirmed member of the band, while Devo went the synth pop route. Not exactly similar in that regard. The Residents were one of the pioneers of minimal synth and minimal wave, which became highly influential to industrial artists.

FuckinG EPGIC meme bro

New York Dolls are great, pleb

>no real content
>in fucking DEVO
they criticize and lampoon humanity and the US constantly, theyre just weird post-punk art nerds who do it in a weird post-punk way. Jocko Homo, Peekaboo, Freedom of Choice, Mongoloid...you're just triggered by the voice and whackiness

Why? Blues rock has been overdone even before they were around.

did we listen to the same band

Indie fags need to be hung Jesus Christ

Oingo Boingo >>>>> Devo

They were making fun of the deterioration of American society during the malaise 70s. Once the economy started recovering during the Reagan years, their message became irrelevant.

end it my man, not even him but you clearly are a mong

Oasis

>haha we all have the same hair
>songs all sounds the same syndrome
>faces all looks down syndrome
>dude the beetles
>the biggest band EVER since blink 188 dude
>no real content
>today is going be the day

>end it my man, not even him but you clearly are a mong
I can clearly see where you're coming from now. Why do you even bother replying honestly?

What do you mean by "real content"

hanged, you mean

How does someone write about a band and not talk about the music they make at all? Seems like he's just attacking the fanbase and the style of the band

The Unicorns

>haha our lyrics are sad with upbeat sounding music, so clever
>we have dumb banter in our songs, so quirky
>simple pop structure with a little bit of occasional dumb noises to sound more "original"
>main singer has annoying voice

Its literally music for 14 year old girls who think they're "unique."

Islands suck as well

a few songs here and there do have substance - Jocko Homo, most of Duty Now for the Future, Gates of Steel, Freedom of Choice - but their whole thing was making absurd, near-meaningless music to make fun of what they saw as the "de-evolution" of pop music. like not to be all "oh it's just ironic man, you don't get it" but that kinda is the whole point, and they were really good at writing fun, catchy songs and making you smile at what you're singing along to. nothing wrong with not liking that though, they're just a band I like a lot.

on-topic with the thread:
American Football
>literally the Kenny G of emo music
Led Zeppelin
>everything wrong with dadrock