Is it problematic that I like this album? Be honest with me

Is it problematic that I like this album? Be honest with me.

Why would it be?

Depends if you give a fuck about the opinion of others in regards to your enjoyment of an artistic medium.

>Why?
If you can't immediately wrap your head around why then you're not who I'm asking the question to.
Wish it was this cut and dry.

problematic in what sense?

White man goes to foreign land, is enthralled by the culture, steals it for his own gain.

Elvis Presley was the first great swindle of rock'n'roll, and the prototype for the ones that would follow. Equipped him with a masterful rhythm section (Bill Black on bass and Scotty Moore on guitar), he was marketed as the juvenile delinquent that he was not.

Depends what you consider "problematic."

If you're worried about hipster cred, don't. We all have guilty pleasures.

If you're worried about Elvis being a racist, the sucker was simple and plain, mother fuck him and John Wayne.

>Such crossover dreams and fears are not altogether misplaced. As Martin Luther King, Jr., himself at times a harsh critic of popular music, told an audience of African American disc jockeys shortly before his assassination, “. . . you have paved the way for social and political change by creating a powerful, cultural bridge between black and white. School integration is much easier now that [students] have a common music, a common language, and enjoy the same dances.” The importance of the “language of soul” that King evoked, and of the bridge he described, cannot be denied, especially in the context of segregation. The best accounts of the positive role of crossover emphasize, like King, the way in which ordinary cultural workers and fans built the local connections between crossover and pleasure. However, to imagine that the bridge King described can bear all the weight of transforming racial capitalism and white investments in it is to court disaster. In considering the most widely studied crossover success, Elvis Presley, and the almost entirely unexamined contemporary phenomenon of the “wigger,” this conclusion seeks to show both why cultural crossover matters and why it cannot by itself generate a crossing over into nonwhiteness

CAUSE I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD
I'M READY TO FIGHT CAUSE I'M AMPED

Someone should make Scaruffi script, that goes through OP and post appropriate copypasta in every thread.

Americans had been jacking off to polynesian and tiki culture for decades before Elvis did. He was merely following a trend at the time. Besides, this SJW idea that you can "steal" culture is absolutely retarded. Elvis was just smart and made a fun rock and roll album about hawaii that millions of people got to enjoy. Wheres the harm in that?

My man.

Martin Denny is another example, it's this "plastification" if you will, of other cultures that SJW's rant about that's starting to get to me. You call it "Exotica" but there's a white girl on the cover.

>THE FACT THAT

Patrician

>You call it "Exotica" but there's a white girl on the cover.
who the cares retardo

People. People care. It's a huge misrepresentation, you'd understand if you left your fucking house for once.

Tumblr is down the hall and to the left

Yeah, but where is the harm is what I'm asking. Martin Denny himself said that although his music was influenced by real polynesian music, the purpose of the music was to provide a pure fantasy of what a lot of people imagined the islands to be like at the time.
I would recommend you stop analysing everything through this sociopolitical ideological lense and just enjoy music purely for what it is.

No. Elvis is excellent.

i think youre the one that needs to leave the house lad, the idea that culture is "stolen" and "misrepresented" if it loosely influenced a western album is pathetic and childish tbqh

The only harm is when it becomes corporatized and watered down...but that's not specifically an imperialist thing, American corporations have been ruining music for decades. It's no different than some urban outfitters teenage faggot thinking psychedelic music means tame impala

>If you're worried about Elvis being a racist, the sucker was simple and plain, mother fuck him and John Wayne.
This is actually objectively false and Chuck D has even said he was wrong to call Elvis a racist. Elvis would attend black church because he had such a love for black music at the time. The moment before Elvis signed with Sun Records do you know what each and every artist in the label had in common? All of them were black men. Elvis was the first to be picked up by them. Why would a racist Southern white man, in the 50s, when, y'know, you could literally be photographed lynching black people and get away with it, have such a passion for black music?

He also would always say he thought Fats Domino was the king of rock and roll when asked about it interviews.

Bruh, it's a PE lyric. Was just playing around.

Kinda.

I know it's a PE lyric, I'm just saying even Chuck D has said he was wrong.

But John Wayne's still a piece of shit.

Who you mean Jawwwwn Waaaaaaaayne?
But he's the cowboy Commie killer! The eater of stake! The neutralizer of nigge-I mean The American Hero!

To follow up on that, here's a passage from BB King's autobiography where he gives his impression of Elvis from when they both work at Sun:

>I felt good recording over at Sun Studios, owned by Sam Phillips. Jules told Sam to give me time whenever I came up with material. In the early fifties, I'd work there often. Sam served as engineer. A little later, he'd be busy with Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, and Elvis Presley. I saw all of them, but they didn't have much to say. It wasn't anything personal, but I might feel a little chill between them and me. But Elvis was different. He was friendly. I remember Elvis distinctly because he was handsome and quiet and polite to a fault. Spoke with this thick molasses Southern accent and always called me "sir." I liked that. In the early days, I heard him strictly as a country singer. I liked his voice, though I had no idea he was getting ready to conquer the world. Funny when I think back, but I was in the very delivery room—Sun Studios—where that baby called rock 'n' roll was being born.

>foreign land
>hawaii
>literally a state of America

wut

Agreed!

Should we care?

White culture is getting pounded left and right and we're supposed to celebrate this, why should we care about other cultures then?

>problematic
kys

This is my answer. I think it concludes this really well and is respectful both opinions.

Elvis is racist

>White culture
what the fuck is white culture? are you aware white is no an identity, did you mean to say American culture, or are you actually just stupid?