They say some things might change your DNA. As far as I know DNA is the same in all cells in the body...

They say some things might change your DNA. As far as I know DNA is the same in all cells in the body. Does that mean that mutagen changes DNA in every cell or does it only happen to some of them? The fuck Sup Forums?

It happens to a few, and they pass it on to others.

how do they pass it? How can a cell in your toe affect the DNA of your brain cells for example?

Since brain cells cannot duplicate, they can't have DNA info passed on. Because all your cells are dying and being reborn, if the mother cell had a genetic difference, then her duplicate will also have it. Eventually, the change will be spread to your entire body.

so its more like the mutated cells "take over" the old cells by duplication? If a skin cell get that mutation how can it duplicate into mother cell so it can get passed on the brain cells?

What I mean by mother cells is the cell with the mutation. Eventually, it adds the addition to the DNA to almost every cell, except brain cells, which cannot duplicate

On that scale they don't interact. Cells can mutate from errors in DNA replication or from other sources (like exposure to uv rays) this error gets propagated every time that cell with the new gene is copied. This is how cancers start, it's mainly localized effects unless it's some where important, like say on your liver or a major organ.

ok but as far as I know cells duplicate into the same type of cell, except the "mother cells" which can be a base for any other type of cells. How does that mutation get passed onto other types of cells then?

Look up epigenetics.

Depends on life stage of the organism when the mutation occurs. Bacteria reproduce quickly so a new gene gets into the population quickly. For something like skin cancer, it just builds up in a localized place. Cancer is basically cell growth without apoptosis (natural programmed cell death). Cancer DNA does find ways to spread but that's unclear for the most part.

Epigenetics doesn't explain his question

Mother cell has mutation, cell have high turn over rate and short life span. Mother cell make identical copy of its self. A mother cell divides in to two daughter cells. The two daughters, become mother cells when they divide into two cells each....

BUT A SKIN CELL CAN'T DUPLICATE INTO LIVER CELL, RIGHT?

No, hence why I keep saying localized effects

so a statement that "all our cells have the same DNA" is just a generalization?

No, each cell has your complete DNA genome. But just because you have the gene, doesn't mean it's been expressed all the time. Expression of genes and the regulation of them gets fairly complex

so if mutation occurs in one cell, it automatically get copied into other cells' DNA but it's just not expressed? Lol cmon, you just said those mutations are mainly local.

I'm sorry you don't understand basic genetics. Each cell has a complete genome in it. If a mutation occurs early on, say in the embryo it will more easily spread everywhere. If it's late in life, it's only within that one cell or that cells off spring (hence localized).

DNA is fake news. God made DNA so nothing can change it.

So CRISPR isn't real?

I get you and it proves that "all our cells have the same DNA" is a generalization. That would be truth if no mutation would occur during our life.

Mutations often happen to one or a few nucleotides. Your genome is about ~6 billion nucleotide. The percent of DNA changes is minimal so DNA.

well, if you get unlucky and the very important nucleotide gets mutated then the consequences will never be the same.

maybe. If the gene isnt being expressed, then no fucks given. Although you could be screwing over you future children. But with sexual reproduction (opposed to asexual) your breeding partner maybe able to off set your bad gene. If the gene is being expressed then yea can be fucked...depending how the role of the gene mutated

Mutations are only passed onto cells that come from the cell. So if say, your skin cell gets a mutation that causes more pigments that make them darker, then only cells that come from the mother cell will have it. Cells next to it that dont have it will stay the same color. It only affects the cells that come from it.

Only if the mutation is in your gametes, if its in your liver then your chill