Admit it: He has a unique sound that's distinctly his own and totally stands out among all other musicians today

Admit it: He has a unique sound that's distinctly his own and totally stands out among all other musicians today

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mos_01Caq-8
youtube.com/watch?v=yV6Shyd8c4M
jawns.bandcamp.com/album/at-work-on-several-things
youtube.com/watch?v=zLOTD7wrbtQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-AayZgP3Lx0
youtube.com/watch?v=Cc_KSe6FUoU
youtube.com/watch?v=NSfOB8ANdWU
youtube.com/watch?v=RyouflDC3UU
youtube.com/watch?v=UIiYlHS0F0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=1quZbpgLh7w
youtube.com/watch?v=j6QPHWL-qSQ
youtu.be/9rEtF7kh_jI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He fails at copying John Lennon. Fuck off. Your thread is shit.

>aloha bruno mars

i forgot who it was but there's another artist that sounds exactly like him so

HE'S NOT FUNNY

the marc maron interview he did was p cool though

He's the Ethan Klein of music sans a beautiful israeli wife.

who's that other idiot from edmonton who ripped him off?

>unique

Am I missing something. He sounds like inoffensive folksy music.

His gf is so sexy

he's very chillian

How does he sound anything like John Lennon though?
I don't see any similarities

he beat his wife

>Admit it: He has a unique sound that's distinctly his own and totally stands out among all other musicians today
nope
youtube.com/watch?v=mos_01Caq-8

she looks like a jewish skeleton

That is the most unchillean thing ever, bro.
*squints while taking drag from cigarette*

i'm not sure i see the john lennon comparison on the whole, but i figure it's probably cause of the another one album(?)

if so, i can see where you're coming from, but it's not like john has some sort of eternal monopoly on love songs though, right? mac has an admittedly quite simple, yet still unique formula that has worked on every album from 2 to this day, imo. the songs go through some changes in instrumentation from release to release, but there's always gold gold gold.

Her tits are top shelf stuff my man

>worshipping a fucking jew

they do not exist

his voice is literally him trying to sound like john lennon. it's pathetic how hard he tries.

he sounds like the beatles. not so original to me.

He's talking about Kiki, lads.

he did get here first, so to be fair ethan klein is the mac demarco of youtube
also
>beautiful

>Kiera McNally
>Possibly the most Scottish-Canadian name ever
>fucking jew
Look, I'm jewish, I'd know that shit

I think that he tries to sing like this more than he tries to sing like Lennon
youtube.com/watch?v=yV6Shyd8c4M

fuck off jew

oh

yeah she's kind of cute i guess

this is pretty good. thanks

if you like that checkout their latest jawns.bandcamp.com/album/at-work-on-several-things

this is a good song but mac still has a distinct and unique sound

he sounds just like any other indie psychedelic rock/pop artist of our generation...
also how is reverb effect unique?

I wouldn't know. far too much music out there for me to listen to anything presented/marketed the way he is

damn thanks so much

do you guys think we could make a mac demarco album using exclusively songs from other popular artists? i thought it was an interesting concept and i've got a decent start so far

john lennon - hold on
youtube.com/watch?v=zLOTD7wrbtQ

ween - freedom of 76
youtube.com/watch?v=-AayZgP3Lx0

a little more of a stretch but maybe michael jackson's lady in my life
youtube.com/watch?v=Cc_KSe6FUoU

lol fuck mac demarco. what a fucking copycat piece of shit.

don't forget his biggest copycat of all
youtube.com/watch?v=NSfOB8ANdWU

He fucking wishes he could even copy something like that.

Neil Young

this is perfect, we're adding it to the list

lol musicians are inspired and borrow from each other all the time. a fraud wouldn't be able to have a discography like mac's

Lad, taking some artistic inspiration from the 70s does not equate with being a copycat.

We might disagree and all on whether we like his jams, but it's all NEW music nonetheless, right? Heard anything like For The First Time before? You see, he's not some Mozart who pops onto the scene so he can reinvent the game - he's honestly just doing what he feels like.

you people are just copycats too

how about little river band's reminiscing? i only pick it because they use a lot of those jazzy chords

youtube.com/watch?v=RyouflDC3UU

Spookyghostboy

Hula is fucking ugly bra

this is literally the exemplary 'copping his style' wave of artists that came after him though

true but if you can be easily replicated with minimal effort, you're probably not that unique to begin with

He makes me feel better about being sort of mediocre at guitar. Take that how you will.

(You)

Half of macs songs are direct rips forms other songs

youtube.com/watch?v=UIiYlHS0F0Y

also op is exactly right, ever since salad days this board has shit on him nonstop because every douchebag with a floppy hat and vague musical ambition started imitating him

youtube.com/watch?v=1quZbpgLh7w

true but if you can be easily replicated with minimal effort, you're probably not that unique to begin with

Like you?

indeed. that's not how you greentext btw

I was replicating not quoting.

basically, through all the memeshit and burned out aesthetic (that is, an overused aesthetic, not of a burnout), his songwriting is still there and thats why the others will fall by the wayside (lord knows many already have)

he's not unique at all. all his songs have no staying power, the effects on his music make it sound dated the more you listen to it, because of how produced it is and how he's the only one on his records dubbed in a couple of times makes it feel cold and not lively. decent guitar player but he overuses the vibrato and chorus pedals to the point where if he makes more music with it, it blatantly sounds like everything he's already done and when you take it all away, his true colors are shown as a mediocre sing songwriter with middle school tier lyrics, average pop songs and uninspired song structures

damn

I can't imagine how ugly your wife is with the terrible taste you have.

I legit think she has brain damage.

>browsing Sup Forums
>being married or in a committed relationship
Pick one and only one.

he's the smiths 2.0 the furthest thing from unique

lots of bands are jangle pop u melon.

The Smiths are a million times better than that garbage

this as interlude

youtube.com/watch?v=j6QPHWL-qSQ

Real talk though, Mac isn't Jangle Pop, like at all. How do people even get that idea? He's generic indie with reverb.

perfect, anyone got any else? this has been fun.

>Jangle pop is a subgenre of pop rock[1] that emphasizes trebly, ringing guitars (usually twelve-string electrics)[3] and pop melodies reminiscent of those from the 1960s.

sounds like mac to me

Damn son...you just got destroyed

Which Mac song?

this maybe?
youtu.be/9rEtF7kh_jI

>the effects on his music make it sound dated
It's supposed to sound that way
>because he's the only one on the record it feels cold
I really don't think that makes an audible difference
>overuses vibrato and chorus
it lends to the "aesthetic" that he is going for. You wouldn't complain about black metal overusing distortion or some shit.
>true colors mediocre sing middle school shit uninspired song write structures average pop shit whatever
I really think his song structures are pretty solid, it's not progressive rock, ya know? it's just some simple 60's 70's influenced rock and he does a pretty good job at what he does.

He's not the first to do lo-fi rock, but he is a stand-out among those that do do it, and because of this a lot of bands use Mac Demarco as a sort of gold standard for what their lo-fi rock should sound like and this differentiates him because his influences are not modern and he isn't trying to be unique he just doesn't draw from modern rock.

>It's supposed to sound that way
i meant dated like it gets less interesting the more you hear it. i used to like mac when i was a teenager but his whole discography has gotten more and more predictable. with his latest release i can confidently say i don't like mac demarco anymore
> I really don't think that makes an audible difference
you would be surprised. you can tell he wanted it really tight sounding. there's virtually no looseness or improvisation not that there needs to be improv but lots of great musicians have real people playing and happy accidents come from that. if it's just mac playing each take over and over again until it's just the way he want's it there's really a difference in the feel of the music, the sound, and the playing of instruments.
>it lends to the "aesthetic" that he is going for. You wouldn't complain about black metal overusing distortion or some shit.
i don't listen to black metal so i'll use loveless for this example. they made that specific sound on that album, and each song is similar in feel but have very diverse tones and instruments/samples playing, like the keyboards, use of vocals as a lead in when you sleep, and some strange mario 64 ass sounding violin in touched. mac demarco hardly ever changes his sound nor does he try to experiment with sound or song structure.
>I really think his song structures are pretty solid, it's not progressive rock, ya know? it's just some simple 60's 70's influenced rock and he does a pretty good job at what he does. it's been done to death. do something different. i can't force him into anything but he's really not saying much when he's doing almost the same stuff done for 50+ years

i like some other ones though

*it's been done to death. do something different. i can't force him into anything but he's really not saying much when he's doing almost the same stuff done for 50+ years

that wasn't supposed to be in the green text

Steely Dan - Jazz influences + indie pop = Mac DeMarco

I'm just saying when 2 dropped it was quite a unique sound, even despite the obvious influence of, and obvious similarities to, earlier rock, it's just that it after that the lo-fi rock scene blew up so much that what was once unique about Mac has sort of been lost in a sea of imitators. But I can tell you the real difference between Mac Demarco and most other lo-fi rock is that Mac uses the old equipment and heavy effects to make a sort of caricature of older rock and most other lo-fi bands are "shit we don't suck ass at playing and have absolutely no competence with our instruments what so ever. Let's just throw some effects pedals into the mix and now we are d0p3 AF, boi."

But this nuanced shit is nauseating to talk about. At the end of the day they both make lo-fi music, it's just that one is influenced by older rock directly and the others are getting it second hand.