If you weren't in Band or Choir for 6 years during junior high and high school, you don't belong on this board

If you weren't in Band or Choir for 6 years during junior high and high school, you don't belong on this board.

I can't stand people who are musically illiterate and have never performed in a formal concert thinking they're fans of music. They should be herded into gas chambers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RC7aw_yzfE4
youtube.com/watch?v=rBhEEEloehA
youtube.com/watch?v=Qu3uZ4Yurvc
youtube.com/watch?v=wG-IUxuuzcs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Only a trumpet player can be this autistic, gas yourself my man.

I was a percussionist in my band from 8th grade to my senior year of high school, but I don't get this. You need to know how to play an instrument to enjoy music?

How'd you know I was a trumpet player?

1st and 2nd chair throughout JH and HS, btw.

dont you have anything better to do than post shit unfunny bait garbage

I can play chopsticks on the piano

Trumpet players tend to be cunts desu, always talk shit but then waste half of rehearsal reworking sections they should've mastered 3 weeks ago. But hey I'm a tuba player so who am I to say anything.

Any guys here play/used to play flute? I was the only boy at my school. ;_;

I'd prefer the opinions of the so-called "musically illiterate" than yours m8, from those three sentences alone i can tell you're a moron

Fuck off Montie we don't care how much Oasis being terrible musically offends you.

Nah dude, the flute is the worst instrument in a band.

>tfw been in a wind ensemble for 11 years
I might as well join a community band when I'm older

>How'd you know I was a trumpet player?
>Only a trumpet player can be this autistic
it seems trumpet players can't read either

Why?

Instead of being defensive, why don't you learn how to read/play music and join an orchestra.

you're aight if you can tune correctly
i hope you tried to fuck all the catty bitches in your section

these. i played clarinet in elementary, trombone in middle school, piano in jazz and tuba in concert during highschool, and bass/keys/guitar in a bunch of shit bands in college.

Honestly you band nerds are the fucking worst.
>inb4 b8
i don't care.

>sticking your dick in flute players
I really hope you guys don't do this.

that why i fuck a girl who plays saxophone and piano

That's funny, user, as if to say you go on Sup Forums and can fuck someone

I mean you're not wrong, band nerds and their drama are cancer
>mfw a trombone player sent dick pics to almost every girl in band my junior year

Here you go, guys. Let's share in the magical experience of a concert.

youtube.com/watch?v=RC7aw_yzfE4

this is pretty dismissive of other forms of musical education, i mean dang dude I went to university for music

but yeah people trying to have intelligent conversations about music without understanding how to speak musical language is funny

oh but i can

There is nothing there, sorry to say.

I played sax for 9 years, and hated it. I was in marching band, and I lived in Texas so you can imagine what that experience must have been like.

I feel so bad for people who try to learn theory at a later age. I taught myself guitar in a few weeks but if it wasn't for those 9 years of scales and arpeggios and all that musical training my ears and brain got I would be so lost. I can just imagine someone seeing something like the circle of fifths or a piece of written music and it just looking like gibberish. People who have never hunkered down and actually learned the anatomy of music will never be able to appreciate it the way someone who has done that will.

did you turn out gay? I can't imagine anyone playing the flute for more than a year and not turning gay

Step away from the little girl...

what?

Btw, what is the bass instrument that plays at 9:14-9:15?

doesn't this whole music thing need an audience to keep going though? it can't survive solely from other musicians.

sounds like a tuba

Yep, it's a tuba
t. tubafag

There were definitely some qts in my section and I ended up playing in a rock band with one of them in high school, but I'm not great with girls, so ya know. ;_;

I played flute for three years and managed to make it out heterosexual. :^)

OFFICIAL STEREOTYPES FOR BAND INSTRUMENTS (I was in band and can verify these are all true):

Trumpet
>thinks he is a celebrity, stick up his ass, will hold a grudge for years if you imply he's not amazing
Saxophone
>pretty chill, usually well educated in other genres, unsympathetic to others since he has the easiest instrument to play
Trombone
>nerdy as hell, will definitely stalk many girls; always overweight
Flute
>some hot girls but mostly just stuck up ugly girls. Despite having a very difficult instrument and maybe knowing a lot about theory, they are ignorant when it comes to great composers
Tuba
>similar to trombone but cooler. They are never stressed out because all of their parts only involve 5-6 different notes
Clarinet
>similar to flute but there are some nerdy guys in this section too
Percussion
>the chillest section; will bring weed to smoke before and after concerts/games. Lowest average IQ in band

>Band geeks thinking they're cool
lmao

>that one band director who takes himself way too seriously

>that female band director who's really into cats

does anyone have any fun band stories?

>that female director with ADHD who can't focus and misses obvious problems in music and choreography

Has anyone else ever forgotten to bring their sheet music? It sucked for me because the bass drummer and I shared the music, so I felt extra guilty, and it was only our second concert either of us have ever had. Luckily, we're the drums, so we could make shit up and nobody could tell the difference.

Former flute-dude here; jr high and first two years of high school. Underrated instrument.

Yes, the director still seemed annoyed but let it fly because I can memorize everything :^)

I used to play the clarinet through middle school, and guitar through high school (and piano as a kid) I love music and have always wanted to be a musician. Things just didn't work out.

since this is basically a band thread, what were your favorite pieces that you've played?
youtube.com/watch?v=rBhEEEloehA
youtube.com/watch?v=Qu3uZ4Yurvc
youtube.com/watch?v=wG-IUxuuzcs
played the first link in high school and the last two in college

I fucked around with the drums too, forgot to add that.

>passing up the most accessible opportunity American public schools provide for musical literacy
Musiclet

Who needs music theory?

I got one.
>be me
>8th grade tuba player
>be rehersing some forgettable piece
>go to pick up my tuba
>tuba has small rings for some sort of strap
>get my left ring finger stuck in one
>try to get it out, no luck
>houstonwehaveaproblem.webm
>tell the director i'm stuck to my instrument
>we go to the principles office, school handyman is called in
>try WD40, butter, shaving cream to free my finger
>no luck
>bring in a chiropractor to help
>he can't get my finger to budge
>finally after 3 hours, they call the fire department
>takes a pair of bolt cutters to free my imprisoned digit
>whole school knows within hours, even in high school i get shit for it
That same tuba is still at my middle school to this day.

one time i snuck mcdonalds on a band bus when we were only there for a 5 minute bathroom break

I played guitar accompaniment for my school's choir. It was mostly sacred music and pop songs. It wasn't challenging, and the conductor thought I was Jimi Hendrix because I could play a guitar upside-down.

The only real thing I learned within it was the ranges of voices and the names of volumes and speeds. I had already learned how to read music, and it contributed nothing really to my understanding of musical theory. I may have picked up a song or two I wouldn't have known otherwise, but we didn't exactly play St. Matthew's Passion or Candide on a daily basis

>didn't get a single double Reed instrument

Fuck off cunt

>implying double Reed instruments are relevant

i got u
>Oboe
Male: quiet but friendly, possibly gay
Female: either literally little miss perfect or catty bitch that sucks at their instrument
>Bassoon
goofy, fun drunk, energetic, gets extremely triggered when someone doesn't know what a bassoon is

No, but you do need to play an instrument to really appreciate music imo

I played in band from 4th grade through high school. This is the dumbest shit I have ever heard. A lot people I know who are musically gifted I met through playing non formal shows. They probably understand and appreciate music as much if not more than concert fags.

I switched from trumpet to the flute in band xD.