I saw this movie for the first time last night and it made me uncomfortable. Like the puppets and the set were so weird...

I saw this movie for the first time last night and it made me uncomfortable. Like the puppets and the set were so weird, it didnt scare me, but it was that uncanny valley thing I guess.

how did anyone in the 80s like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=glStPHUErJU
youtube.com/watch?v=9b4F_ppjnKU
youtube.com/watch?v=41P8UxneDJE
youtube.com/watch?v=VppuD1St8Ec
youtube.com/watch?v=p0OX_8YvFxA
youtube.com/watch?v=6h1seml_0U8
youtube.com/watch?v=dDkp7GysvbY
youtube.com/watch?v=xuZA6qiJVfU
youtube.com/watch?v=9OFpfTd0EIs
youtube.com/watch?v=7-mE2ZB4wmU
youtube.com/watch?v=ItfyoMvJnx0
youtube.com/watch?v=G-1p6RhGTp8
youtube.com/watch?v=sRY1NG1P_kw
youtube.com/watch?v=KQDpW_mn0AU
youtube.com/watch?v=g6z_NfTe6SI
youtube.com/watch?v=32ScTb6_KHg
youtube.com/watch?v=SwrYMWoqg5w
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=KC5InWPjtL8
youtube.com/watch?v=0CBVCk2vIgo
youtube.com/watch?v=FsglRLoUdtc
youtube.com/watch?v=e5HkuhSEnPQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's ok, David Bowies benis made me uncomfortable too

yeah, him have a perpetual boner was weird to

It's a terrible movie that is loved by nostalgia fags

this. The part with those pink monsters that rip their arms and heads off is horrible

have you told your parents you're gay yet?

i agree though. the only reason i like the movie is because of david bowie and childhood nostalgia. it's really not a very good movie. the dark crystal and never ending story are way better 80s puppet/fantasy films

It has top tier eye candy though

>weird
It's a goblin kingdom and the supporting characters are a dwarf, an anthropomorphic fox, and whatever the fuck Ludo is. I don't know how you expected normalcy.

what a qtπ

yeah, I know what you mean.

The Dark Crystal really had that effect on me as a kid. it wasn't even all the other monsters so much as the gelflings, who just had this really uncanny almost-human, weird animal-elf alternate reality pagan thing that really fucked with my head. which is odd because in a way, over the years, it's turned out that I really have that quality myself, as well as the people who come into my life - we even talk about it with each other, like this indigo person thing or something. but seeing the images of the gelflings all over the place on lunchboxes and stuff in the late 80s was disturbing enough that I'd avoid an aisle at a store just not to have to look at them.

and that whole weird 80s fantasy thing, there is something somewhat odd about it, huh? definitely watch The Dark Crystal for the epitome of that, and also Never Ending Story, Legend, and Jim Henson's The Storyteller. it was a strange aesthetic, like this combination of Jim Henson muppet aesthetics with hippie New Age syncretic paganism with a kind of whispy Heavy Metal thing

>hating movies based on the faerie

go fucking read little big or jonathan strange & mr norrell and get some fucking taste

>jonathan strange & mr norrell
I like the way you think.

>faerie
Why don't you waddle back to tumblr, you genderfluid wiccan cocksplat?

also, I'll note, part of the disturbing post-human / almost-human weird aesthetic to a lot of this stuff is the product of fantasy/faerie artists Brian and Wendy Froud, who designed creatures and stuff for The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, a lot of other Jim Henson stuff, and I think even some George Lucas creatures like Yoda.

The whole aesthetic is the result of the couple being these weird English pagan hippie-witch types who are into like this really old idea of pre-English pagan worship of faeries and elves as nature spirits. They did some weird illustration books called Faeries that riff on the bizzare aesthetic. Really 'shroomy' and getting into a kind of creepy, woodsy post-human thing were the human starts to meld into the animals and plants. I think I implicitly felt the logic of these poetics when I was a kid, seeing that in the gelflings and was disturbed by the implications.

>Not liking "As the World Falls Down."

No taste... kys fegs

Nice blog

an example of the eerie Brian Froud humanoid plant-animal thing I'm talking about, that influenced a lot of muppet aesthetics, like you see a lot in the gelflings or in Labyrinth

just pointing him in the direction of where that style comes from, and agreeing that this shit is definitely kind of uncanny/upsetting

DANCE MAGIC DANCE

no discussions allowed on Sup Forums! WHAT DO WE THINK OF HER BODY OF WORK BANE? WHAT DID SHE MEAN BY THIS GHOSTBUSTERS etc etc

New Age / Wiccan aesthetics are so weird

>uncanny/upsetting
Naw you're all just a bunch of fags

I feel like wispy Stevie Nicks-era Fleetwood belongs in this thread

youtube.com/watch?v=glStPHUErJU
youtube.com/watch?v=9b4F_ppjnKU

same kind of pinkish, feathery, witchy, wispy, faerie quality (and hairstyle)

you just have no receptivity / empathic ability

It was the LOTR of its time, ie, fantasy crap.

>art must always be social realism!

>if there is no slavish portrayal of class relations and means of production, and ONLY that, then it doesn't register!

go watch The Wire, nerd

Centuries of trad. folk music and you choose moderately folky dadrock

"Did she say it?" scared the shit out of me. It was like the goblins were in my room.

not really. the scary characters are scary, and the cute nice characters are cute and nice. theres no weird puppets/CGI

i saw the movie recently and loved it, and I never saw it as a kid. I dunno, Its a very charming movie, dont get the "its terrible" thing people are peddling in this thread

but we're talking the 80s fantasy aesthetic, which evokes big hair and pink/purple atmospherics and big feathery hairstyles

also, >dimissing Fleetwood fucking Mac as just 'dadrock'

i hated how this movie was always brought up in the media as one of bowie's biggest achievements, after he died

this was shit-era bowie

just some bitter fedora atheist autist probably. the movie is very well loved.

This. The soundtrack isnt totally gold, but that is one of my favorite Bowie songs

What on earth are you talking about?

er, big hair, pink/purple atmospherics, and wispy synth sounds

youtube.com/watch?v=41P8UxneDJE

Heart reporting in

No one can blame you

nerds are the ones who are into Harry Potter type things, obviously

I don't need it to be political but somewhat personally engaging. I guess everyone has to like it, according to you.

hahaha, I almost posted that exact video too

the ESSENCE of that particular 'wispy' soft 80s thing that evokes 80s fantasy

No, they tried to be creepy. It, at the time, tried to be cool. It was not especially either.

youtube.com/watch?v=VppuD1St8Ec

People seem to take this movie way too seriously here. I don't what you were expecting from a children's puppet movie.

eecck. So many great 70s bands ruined by trying to make music the record companies knew would be more commercial in the 80s.

They were two completely different bands.

youtube.com/watch?v=p0OX_8YvFxA

not everything about the 80s was great.

That was really disappointing from Bowie

fucking this.

I guess everyone should have the same perspective that you do.

yeah, I don't think so either, but I always really liked that wispy pink soft sound.

honestly I'd much rather listen to it than The Pixies or The Smiths or REM or something like that. Hell, I'd rather listen to PETER CETERA than a lot of respectable indie stuff (although I like The Violent Femmes and Galaxie 500 and shoegaze and dreampop and stuff)

it's the aesthetic we're talking about though, not necessarily talking about the worth in and of itself

Superior film coming through.

yeah, but still. seeing 80s heart is awful and makes me scream internally.

all this makes me think of is that weird fuck with those hand-made animal-human hybrid fuck dolls that he kept around his family

for instance, I'd much rather listen to

youtube.com/watch?v=6h1seml_0U8

than the fucking boring Pixies, or Minor Threat, or The Feelies, or The Minutemen

Great film. I got a triple DVD set: The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, and Mirror Mask.

EXACTLY

although I'll admit I love this aesthetic

yes, not having an opinion about an aesthetic is an interesting way to talk about it.

Brian Froud was already mentioned upthread, and yeah, they used to scare me but now I really admire the style

>rated G

I love how people think this is literally "Dark."

All the animals looked like birds and the people looked like androgynous elves.

2001 a space odyssey is rated G

My ex-girlfriend loved this gilm and demanded that I watch it. On the first screening I fell asleep, which made her mad, and on the second screening I said I didn't like it. She broke up with me because of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=dDkp7GysvbY

The title has "dark" in it, buddy.

Nobody thinks 2001 is dark. Adults just apply grand themes to its minimalism and considering life vs. death is deep and therefore dark to them. As a child it's pretty cartoonish.

Horrible comparison.

Dark Crystal insect gatherer monsters and the gelfling soul harvesting and Chamberlain gave me the creeps. Neverending Story 2 insect monster thing.

the Never Ending Story movies were pretty damn scary for any kid

that's actually a good song. i only know "the ryhtm is gonna get you" from that group, because my mom played it 24/7 when i was kid.

is this now a relaxing 80s ballad thread?

youtube.com/watch?v=xuZA6qiJVfU

>The title has "dark" in it, buddy.
its the "The Dark Crystal" not the "The Dark Movie"

though, its pretty somber in both content (corrupted world ruled by vulture looking aristocrats) and in the visual style.

it really is a beautiful song. and I really like that one too, I consider The Cars' Drive as probably the key example of that relaxing, dreamy, driving at night, wispy sound

It was always a Baby Boomer parents' and yuppies' sound, but people who were kids at the time in hindsight I think are realizing that it essentially functioned like dreampop for us

That's what was my point, honey.

Thanks for being extra stupid.

When the skeksis dies and then his good counterpart dies.

>1 minute wolf mud forrest horse died scene
>whole movie scurry

naw.

>That's what was my point, honey.

except no one is contradicting that point, so your point is actually pointless.

>the content: vulture looking aristocrats
>and the visual style

Yeah, how the birds looked is neither a visual nor a style.

thanks for not disagreeing.

I grew up in the 1980s. This movie was fucking amazing. I had a crush on Jennifer Connelly so hard. I really didn't give a shit about the singing or the larger people-based puppets. I liked the maze, the girls, and the animal-type puppets. I could watch her explore the labyrinth all damn day.

I like Maze Runner too, but only the scenes in the maze, the rest was tripe and the sequels are horrid.

ok

>wiccan

Why don't you go back to your Triple goddess you virgin, mother, whore.

I think that's Catholic.

Gmork gonna kill me. The nothing taking the land. Such strong hands. Sphinx lasers going to melt me in my moment of self doubt. I was scared.

that's an interesting and thoughtful way of putting it. the different states of the world, and the way we perceive it based on our generational gaps alters the way we experience things.

You are truly a man of towering intellect.

I was terrified of the junk lady.

I gotcha:

youtube.com/watch?v=9OFpfTd0EIs
youtube.com/watch?v=7-mE2ZB4wmU
youtube.com/watch?v=ItfyoMvJnx0
youtube.com/watch?v=G-1p6RhGTp8
youtube.com/watch?v=sRY1NG1P_kw
youtube.com/watch?v=KQDpW_mn0AU
youtube.com/watch?v=g6z_NfTe6SI
youtube.com/watch?v=32ScTb6_KHg
youtube.com/watch?v=SwrYMWoqg5w
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=KC5InWPjtL8
youtube.com/watch?v=0CBVCk2vIgo
youtube.com/watch?v=FsglRLoUdtc
youtube.com/watch?v=e5HkuhSEnPQ

(and I'm not just posting any 80s stuff, but that particular wispy sound)

yeah she was a nightmare, and the way she tried to enclose this false reality around Sara

been trying to trace out the boundaries of this particular sound for a long time now. I think these, and The Car's Drive, and the Fleetwood Mac, and Glora Estafan posted upthread, are the key ones

and that Heart song, obviously

the boys of summer is still one of my favorite pop songs of all time. it used to make me feel sad when i was kid, even though i didn't even know what he was singing about. now that i'm an adult and understand the lyrics, it makes me even sadder. but, it's such a well written song, i can't help myself.

to those who don't know, it's basically about loss, and how sometimes, no matter how hard to try, you can never get some things back. like your youth, for example.

Probably shut up

yeah. I find this kind of music makes a nice soundtrack to easing into your 30s while at the same time capturing something of the feeling of your childhood

>tfw an odd feeling of regret and loss as you get older, summer ends, and this song comes on the radio.

exactly. very few songs get the lyrics and music perfectly matched to convey a specific feeling.