Is Religulous the greatest takedown of religion ever depicted in a documentary?

Is Religulous the greatest takedown of religion ever depicted in a documentary?

No, it's cherrypicking with blinders on, like the people he criticizes, which is basically Bill Maher's whole career.

No shit you can find some dumbasses, assholes, and hypocrites who believe in religion. There are plenty who don't believe in religion either, Bill Maher being one of them.

Also, generally reductive "arguments" throughout, he and his work are nowhere near as smart as he thinks.

This. It's fedora tipping of the highest caliber.

Anyone who references fedoras in relationship to atheism or religion can instantly be discredited as a contrarian memer who takes his cues solely from the internet

Being this mad

*tips fedora*

>I've been on Sup Forums for less than 2 years: the comment

break out your fedora folder and bump my thread kid

oof, that hurt, my whole post is refuted

*tips maher's cock*

I read that as freudian tipping

forcing atheism on people just makes them recoil. Religion is dying on its own, just let it fade away without trying too hard

It's just a wishy-washy little roadtrip movie. I'm an atheist and it never made me go "WHOA DUDE YOU'RE SO RIGHT HE'S SO RIGHT". If it was his goal to change minds I imagine he failed outright.

But then how would Bill Maher get to feel superior to everyone else?

Only Christianity is dying.

>greatest takedown
>atheist acts like a childish cunt for the length of a movie
I can only assume this is bait, because I don't even like Christianity and I think your post is asinine.

his whole schtick, religiously and politically, has never been to change minds. He's just like fundamentalist religious people, when confronted with beliefs other than the ones he has conveniently curated for himself, he digs his heels into the ground and slings mud at his detractors.

and I say that as a very "liberal" agnostic.

I am well aware of its flaws but I find it an unironically comfy watch 2bh lads

The Vatican astronomer, the maverick priest and even the Jesus actor were all portrayed as OK dudes.

>atheist

He's not. He's a Zionist. So much that he's no longer jewish.

The nose chicco, it knows

> Vatican astronomer

the one going against the grain of his established religion? yeah, duh.

> the maverick priest

the one going against the grain of his established religion? yeah, duh.

> the Jesus actor

they made the whole park out to be this whole ultraviolent, bizarre cult gathering, and the only reason anyone gets a decent view of the Jesus actor in the documentary is because Mahr buys into the whole "Holy Trinity = 3 states of water" thing. Well, he says he thinks it's a good point but that it doesn't work out if you think about it for longer than a few seconds, I believe.

I disliked it solely because it was passing on Zeitgeist garbage as fact

>> Vatican astronomer
>
>the one going against the grain of his established religion? yeah, duh.
Did he actually say anything the went against Catholic doctrine? All I remember is him saying that it's not possible for science to be in scripture.

No it is not the greatest take down of religion, but it was bold in attempting to doing so.

>going against the "grain" (ie. the modern day Pharisees) = atheism
Cucklolic spotted

lol this fuggin goy

Documentary maybe, I dunno.

What's the greatest takedown of religion in book form? I'm partial to Why I Am Not Christian by Bertrand Russel myself.

The problem with Bill Maher is that in being funny, and sarcastic he comes off as an arrogant asshole which often diminishes any genuine points he has made.

>goy--er, "gentiles" worshipping a Jew calling atheists goyim
You can't make this shit up

Bill Maher sort of occupies the same space as Sam Kinnison. In their day, early on, they were probably seen as edgy (in the non-internet sense), fearless, ready to say stuff nobody else would, etc etc

It's just that it's been done a million times since, and by better, so looking back you're like ... "What's the big deal?" Obviously in Maher's case, still doing that same schtick, it's worn thin. He's not as clever as he thinks he is, he does a lot of pointing out the obvious.

He is also a chairman for PETA, so fuck that stubborn asshole.

The whole "atheist thing" is so 2008

step up! its the current year

Best part of the movie to me was when he was interviewing the Senator or Congressman and the guy made some off the cuff remark that was simply stupid then Bill got that "WTF is wrong with you?" look followed by the guy saying "It's not like we have to take an IQ test to be a Senator/Congressman..." and laughed, then about 3 seconds later he realized how fucking stupid what he'd just said was and the look on that guy's face, priceless.

Pic relevant.

In the west perhaps, but it shall rise again in the east.

Its only a matter of decades before christianity becomes dominant in China.

By your well knowledgeable intellect what in this current year shall we engage people with?

If you suggest Trump FY, go watch MSNBC.

that would be an ironic twist, the West falling to a slant crusade

Catholicism and new-world "Christian" cults, not Christianity. And you must not be Catholic to be proud that its attracting BRs and Sea BRs.

It's not dying so much as it's evolving.

Christianity. Evolving. Who'd've thunk it?

hmm lets see

Trump thing is getting old
Feminism is so 2015
Trannies are so 2014
PC is getting old
BLM is getting old

i dont know. You pick something.

A religion doesn't evolve. It's only abandoned for incrementally more twisted simulacra.

It's a comedy, and I thought it was pretty fucking hysterical. As for the greatest takedown, I'd give that award to Ben Stein for his answer to it (Expelled) -- that shit was just embarrassing.

>Trump
current

>Feminism is so 2015
third wave feminism maybe, not fourth

>Trannies are so 2014
current, see bathroom issue

>BLM is getting old
obv current

Except what's happening with Christianity in the West is more akin to a rediscovery of its more anti-establishment and esoteric roots as well as Gnosticism.

I agree those are all old. I'm thinking it could be time to get back to the atheist thing, BUT more about how no one really knows.

Both atheists, and Christians are deadlocked. Both need a swift kick to the head for being stubborn shits unable to push the conversation further.

luther pls

Only a tiny minority of modern Christians even come close to seriously re-embracing Biblical moral law. Even conservative Christianity is 99% influenced by modern "apologetics" which is just a friendly word for bald-faced disobedience.

You mean Judaism?

Sorry user, if it wasn't approved at the council of Nicaea it's right out :^)

This

The 1% are the Amish

It's alright I guess.

I just think it's funny how he spends maybe five minutes talking about the Jews compared to Islam and Christianity getting hour long segments each.

This. Also when he interviewed the peruvian priest.

Can you fucking blame us? Being a good Christian is hard.

Methodist Christianity was made with the modern man in mind.

Both Christianity and Islam get the most attention, the biggest free pass with few ever calling it out, so maybe that was for a reason.

He was raised Catholic, so that too might have something to do with it, or why he was more interested in focusing on it.

>in being funny, and sarcastic he comes off as an arrogant asshole which often diminishes any genuine points he has made.

sounds like someones a special snowflake

You assume too much.

Yeah, this is part of why the book should become just another book on the shelf; there's some wisdom and great metaphor to glean, but I don't understand how anyone could call themselves a Christian with a straight face, given their hypocrisy and the ridiculous myth.

Speaking of hypocrisy, it's indicative of what many (if not most) Christians in the U.S. believe (or don't believe), that the prodominantly Christian party has given rise to a man whose entire being is antithetical to Christ's teaching.

>given rise to a man whose entire being is antithetical to Christ's teaching.

That more to do with white males in fear of losing grasp of having control, or at least losing the idea of seeming to have control.

It's pretty great. I wish Maher would make more movies like this. Oh well, at least I still have Micheal Moore.

>fourth
I am scared to ask. What is fourth wave feminism?

Oh, I completely agree. Nevertheless, as far as I'm concerned, it highlights the fact that tangible concerns will always trump (pun intended) religious concerns.

But hey, he can quote #2 Corinthialanus, right?

Hopefully it's something like stage 4 cancer.

Not the same user, but basically they complain about anything in entertainment that is "cave-manish".

Not an argument.

Ever since Obama became President certain white men have raged vowing to vote for a white male no matter who.

What is weird about Trump is how he intentionally amplifies his "stupidness" for Americans as if intentionally dumbing it down.
This suggests he actually does think his supporters are stupid. Think about it?

I am not sure how this differs from third wave.

I don't think Trump is stupid, but I certainly don't think he's a cerebral guy either. And I don't exactly think that he's intentionally dumbing himself down to appeal to his generally ignorant and uneducated minions; instead, I believe that he's become even more lazy with his dialogue due to the shockingly low standards that he's held to. And due to the gargantuan size of his ego, he even pointed out that there's practically nothing he could possibly do to lose support -- and to some degree, his supporters continue to prove him right.

The easy answer is to say that we're all just simps, but is that really fair? This was always going to be a dark election with some of the most evil candidates all put together. Plenty of people have been backing Trump from day one just because he's clearly the least-slimey of the bunch.

Biblical moral law isn't at all what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the overwhelming majority of people who identify as Christian, but reject thousands of years worth of dogma to live their lives more in accordance with what Christ taught, not what a lot of power-mongering old men tried to tell people it meant, turning an inner spiritual understanding of the Divine into a systematic process of indoctrinization.

I believe it is similar to going to a bar, where you know the crowd makes dumb jokes, so when you go there you take on that same dumb jokes attitude.

Of course he loves people kissing his ass, but he believes they completely idiotic fools, and far less than himself.

Honestly I'm debating in my mind if he'd turn out to be more moderate than Hillary.
I have a bad feeling that he will win despite the lack of Latino, and minority votes.
Like Harrison Ford saying:"I've got a bad feeling." I feel its coming. He will win no matter what, and Hillary will come of as weak, and arrogant during the debates.

>is that really fair?
Sure, most people aren't exactly deep thinkers, and they allow their sense of reason to be dictated by their emotions -- of course that includes both conservatives and liberals. *I guess I'm stating the obviously obvious here.

I would have to disagree on Trump being the least slimey, though; I think he has a slight edge on The Cunt.

This was the atheist equivalent to Gods Not Dead but because most critics are left leaning atheists, it got a pass even though it was a sub standard movie.

>Of course he loves people kissing his ass, but he believes they completely idiotic fools, and far less than himself
This seems so transparently obvious to me, and it points to how shockingly easily-manipulated his supporters are. It's like, what do they think he's saying about them when he said the line about shooting someone in the middle of 5th avenue.

Gut instincts are what count in discerning sliminess and I really think this is an example of people "liking" the candidate being the safest option. If you go out and talk to people, most Trump supporters are not rabid fanatics, most admit he's not completely trustworthy but has always been the best candidate. Even if we don't talk about Hillary, he was running against Ted Cruz, the Zodiac Killer; John Kasich, your friendly neighborhood predatory lender; Marco Rubio, another closet case Republican that would probably bow out himself by the end to avoid the responsibility of office; and Jeb Bush, Charles II of the American Hapsburgs.

I remember seeing part of it where he talks to a jew and the jew tries to explain shit to him and it just goes like

>bill: "LOL UR RIDICULOUS"
>jew: no just listen you see...
>bill: LOL UR DUMB

Seems like this is one of the worst anti religious movies ever, even that zeitgeist anti Christianity portion was better

They don't care. All of his supporters remind me of football fans chanting whatever to cheer on their team. They don't think that much or that carefully about it.
They all seem to treat team sports, religion, and politics with the same "let's not think too much about it" way to live. These are people needing to depend on someone else to do, and think for them.

If he does win I hope we'll discover that much of America is run mostly on autopilot.

This is literally the "God's Not Dead" of antitheism (I don't call it "atheism" because that would be an insult to atheists who just want to quietly not worship anything in peace - antitheism is active hostility to religion)

Literally lowest common denominator, thoughtless wank for someone who wants to be told their opinion is right for an hour and a half.

>the one going against the grain of his established religion?

The Catholic church have accepted evolution since the 50s retard.

>Vatican astronomer
basically bill freaking out like "what???? not all christians believe in the exact same thing??? some christians believe their religious beliefs are compatible with science??????? not in my documentary no way this is impossible"

>Jesus actor
"what??!! a theme park employee isn't a definitive religious expert??? no way man"

>Ted Cruz, the Zodiac Killer; John Kasich, your friendly neighborhood predatory lender; Marco Rubio, another closet case Republican that would probably bow out himself by the end to avoid the responsibility of office; and Jeb Bush, Charles II of the American Hapsburgs.
Topkek

Gnosticism is still absolute fringe.

Yeah, in fact I've said the same thing about his supporters cheering their team without much analysis.

>If he does win I hope we'll discover that much of America is run mostly on autopilot
People grossly overestimate the power of the office. Considering the fact that Obama can't even pass the most innocuous gun legislation by means of an executive action, I'm not concerned about Trump becoming some kind of dictator; however, I think he could easily destroy foreign relations and cause international conflicts with his volatility.

/thread

"Feeling it" is what his supporters do. He literally has an almost numerical impossibility ahead in terms of his delegate-math, which is what really matters.

It's a subtle thing, but after having talked with literally hundreds of self-professed Christians about their individual beliefs, I can count on one hand the number of them that are in 100 percent lockstep agreement about what exactly it is they personally believe.

A significant number of people I've talked to don't even believe in the Trinity in quite the way it's put forth by most denominations, believing rather that the Christ was no different in his, pardon the pun, conception than anyone else, but was simply sufficiently wise and insightful to discover the pre-existent Divinity within us all.

> Christ mythicism

>he could easily destroy foreign relations and cause international conflicts with his volatility.

That is probably the worst he could do (other than starting a war - ex: Bush) or lead to conflicts.

America has always had the luxury of being that country that is the outside entity of the other side of the planet. An external force to project blame or admiration to. It would truly be terrifying if suddenly America became the big target.

Sometimes I think people are so completely dysfunctional that they will sabotage their own stability just because of being bored. As time goes on, it would seem that not only is politics, and beliefs becoming more polarized, but also as a species of humans rooted in our own nature.

Seemingly when we bring forward polarized thinking it brings both the best and worst of people to extremes.

I love fedora posting because now whenever I see someone wearing one in real life it cracks me up, it's great. Ironically the one person I've known in my life who did wear a fedora on a regular basis believed in god.

>Bill Maher sort of occupies the same space as Sam Kinnison.
Not at all.

except God's not dead is a cringey feel-good story with a plot, and the other is a documentary with occasionally shoddy claims

>christianity
>getting a free pass
Are you fucking joking? Of the three abrahamic religions, all of which are similarly terrible, that's the only one that you can openly attack as much as you want without fear of being labelled an islamophobe or an anti-semite for it. Look at how angry people get when someone brings up Mohammed marrying that 9 year old or whatever it was compared to the endless torrent of jokes about catholic priests being pedophiles that are told without any real backlash, it's fucking unreal.

Thanks to the two part system there's very little either him or Hillary can do to lose support, most people are just locked into supporting one or the other party and they don't really have any other options. Just look at how Hillary treats the more left wing parts of her base with such open contempt because she knows they're going to vote for and she's right. As much as they might hate her they hate trump more, and the same dynamic exactly plays out on the other side.

>believing rather that the Christ was no different in his, pardon the pun, conception than anyone else, but was simply sufficiently wise and insightful to discover the pre-existent Divinity within us all.
It's strange that you bring that up. I cannot seem to find any modern denomination that believes Jesus was just a man who became the savior, yet for some reason, when my family was still Christian, that's essentially what we believed, at least as much as I can remember.

Christianity is actually the world's fastest growing religion (yes, ahead of Islam) thanks to Africa and China.

No, not joking. I see Christianity given more credibility more often than I see it criticized. There are at least eight or more cable TV broadcast networks dedicated to Christianity twenty-four hours a day every day. There are many colleges, and schools build with the idea of Christianity as the foundation.

Occasional jokes two or three times a year in entertainment do not compare to the blind support I see given to Christianity on a daily basis.

But you're still allowed to attack it without automatically without being labelled a bigot by huge numbers of non-practitioners. You can't criticize islam without risking charges of islamaphobia or judaism without risking charges of anti-semitism, are you seriously going to deny that? Just go on any forum and start ranting about how evil and horrible islam/judaism are and see how long it takes for people who aren't muslims or jews to start attacking you for bigotry, just try it. Meanwhile with christianity that sort of things just cliche at this point. I'm not even christian but the double standard for how they're treated compared to other very similar religions is unmistakable.

And the reason you see so many cable tv broadcasts and colleges dedicated to christianity or with it as a foundation is because you have so many christians in your country, simple as that. Were you not aware of this?

>because you have so many christians in your country, simple as that. Were you not aware of this?

No I wasn't, thank you for informing me about the country I live in, and the attitude here.

Although seriously, about the islamophobia, that's mostly SJW arguments. No one I know, or have spoken to is interested in that either way.
I'm not denying that your statement about that isn't true. I honestly NEVER hear anyone discussing it, anywhere.

Hillary would make for a far better Republican candidate to be honest.

Anyone who flips out over Trump is a newfag. Everything he says is stuff that was completely normal 20 years ago.

>however, I think he could easily destroy foreign relations and cause international conflicts with his volatility.

I don't know, he seemed to carry himself fairly well in Mexico.

>tfw bought the dvd

From a doctrinal standpoint, you won't. It's when you step away from the "party line" dogma that back the various denominations and talk to individual Christians that you'll start encountering such beliefs.