People criticized this movie for not being as funny/campy as the original...

People criticized this movie for not being as funny/campy as the original. Anyone who's seen the original Evil Dead knows that it was a straight-up horror film. Why are people so dumb?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1rDT7SwheMo
youtube.com/watch?v=c-8JuxUMRNI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It made me chuckle a lot more than the original ED either way. Wish I watched it recently so I could get across what I mean with how funny the constant over-the-top suffering and brutality is.

Evil dead was always a mix between intentional and unintentional camp and straight serious horror. We had a campy comedy in the franchise (army of darkness) so I could easily wrap my mind around one movie that was only straight horror althrough.
I liked it more than my name is bruce vs evil dead t͏͏b͏͏h͏

The remake went way too far with the body horror.

It also failed on a characterization and plot level. There was no need to push in a stupid junkie metaphor.

One of the reasons the original worked was the entity had no defined purpose. That made it a little scarier. The remake shoehorns in some crappy must kill 5, but not really since you can remove the demon, in order to bring about a main villain that was 10x more lame than everything in the rest of the movie.

The first 10 minutes or so are great. They should have kept it like that.

it was campy low budget horror with ridiculous fantasy elements.

remake was grimdark with muted colors and dull lighting. It had no energy and no fun to it.

I haven't seen Don't Breathe so I can't judge Fede as a filmmaker just yet though.

The first evil dead was played straighter but the seuqel/remake was somewhat ironic.

The Evil Dead (2013) basically went back to its pure horror roots.

Original was way more campy and took itself way less seriously.

You cant tell me you wouldn't.

>every evil dead movie is different from the others
>this one was shit because it was different

>her singing was creepiest part of trailer
>not in the actual movie

false advertising has to stop

I'll tell you one thing sweet cheeks.
It ain't evil dead without good ol' Bruce on the front to dazzle you with his boyish good looks, am I right ladies?
You want more sweet deadite slaying goodness, then look no further than Ash vs. Evil Dead.
Roll on season 2 baby.
Groovy.

It's shit because it was a bad movie, btqh. It just had more people calling it shit because of the name.

If it was called The Cabin or some such shit, no one would have watched it and it still would be shit.

>evil dead
>not campy

did you forget about the tree rape?

I thought it was good.

Not as good as the original of course, but still decent.

Read it in his voice.

Still enjoyed it, though. It was different, and it's great that we got and are getting more Ash out of it.

The only thing wrong with this movie there wasn't enough me-I mean, Bruce Campbell in it.

Maybe. And less nailgun as a weapon that can penetrate wood from across the fucking room.

I don't know if he was involved in the writing of don't breath but if he was then fuck him. They realizes they couldn't push their "guns are ebil" message with a realistic scenario so they had to make him cartoonishly evil to make sure no one was confused about who the bad guys. Also, is it true that they literally refer to him as the "blind patriarchy" or some shit?

No rule34 of her, IT HURTS

Not really, the very first evil dead was only campy because they didn't have the budget to make it great. The filmmakers involved took it very seriously though. In other words the evil dead has a campy subtext but in comparison the campyness in evil dead 2 is the main focal point.

the original Evil Dead is very funny/campy, especially in the early sequences. That was clearly intentional. Raimi achieved the same thing with Drag Me To Hell. He understands the relationship between comedy and horror that can be exploited to great effect.

You sound like a pleb

Don't Breathe is a gigantic piece of shit. There isn't a line about "blind patriarchy" though. It's so awful.

The intent changes nothing. Raimi and Co. knew they had limited money and very green actors and camped it up to accommodate.

The result was a campy horror flick.

>Don't Breathe is a gigantic piece of shit
elaborate. it's literally the only thing out this week that I haven't seen. isn't it entertaining at least?

The remake is a great horror film, but ok-ish as a Evil Dead remake. It kind of misses the point that Evil Dead worked because it was more bizarre and surreal in many respects compared to the straightforward pain type horror of the remake.

youtube.com/watch?v=1rDT7SwheMo

It was meant to be a horror film from the start. The funny/campy stuff was not intentional in the first evil dead film. Raimi wanted shock audiences with his film.

There are two fundamental weapons every deadite slayer should have.
1. You got the chainsaw. Sure you can pussyfoot around with a samurai sword, maybe take a head or two off, but the chainsaws got that extra bit of meat that can cut through a deadite faster than you old grandpa could cut the cheese.
And then 2. The broomstick. Trusty. Reliable. Effective.
You could demonically charge a nail gun to pierce a solid wall but you know where you are with a broomstick. One shot is all it takes to blow a deadite's fucking head clean off, with all the chunks and blood juices just spurting out all over the place like a chocolate fondue mountain, if well, you know the fountain of chocolate was a fountain of blood.
Anyway, with everything else you just have to improvise.

>great horror film

Don't ever make a movie. It's fucking terrible. You're the reason the genre is shit on.

what recent horror films would you say is better?

Not at all. I am usually not someone who is at all concerned with plot as I think it's pretty secondary but the entire story is so idiotic that it is impossible to treat with any seriousness. The ludicrousness of the set-up renders every interaction completely devoid of tension. Actions occur that are given no explanation as to how they could have happened given the screenwriter's extreme laziness. Also the infiltration into the blind man's house occurs rather early and after that you have about 50 minutes of repetitive sequences that have nowhere to go because they are hinged on the one idea that they are hiding from a blind man. The movie also spends its latter half becoming truly idiotic and edgy as it liberally rips off of ideas from Martyrs and Wait Until Dark. Honestly though, everything about the initial set-up of the movie and the "twists" it takes later on is just so fundamentally silly that it is very difficult to watch it. It also immediately establishes itself as a movie that will rely solely on jump scares to create any sense of tension. Even at 80 minutes I was desperate to get out of the theater, it's terrible.

I. Just realised I said broomstick twice.
You ever done it high with a French maid?
She really knows how to get in all the nooks and crannies. I got to tell you I can never look at a feather duster the same way again.

>50 minutes of repetitive sequences that have nowhere to go because they are hinged on the one idea that they are hiding from a blind man
this sounds like a Bunuel film I would watch.

but damn, that's a shame. Everyone keeps saying this is a high watermark for independent horror. Wonder why.

I'm not sure how it has received any praise at all. I could think of very few redeeming qualities for the movie.

I liked The Witch a lot from this year. The Wailing is great too.

Don't Breathe is as disposable as a Saw sequel or something equally puerile.

>The Wailing
has this been ripped yet

can't help you on that front

I saw it in a theater

People will hate it no matter what just because it's a remake (Evil Dead 2 being a remake doesn't count). It was really good.

Evil Dead 2 isn't a remake.

How many times do Raimi and Campbell have to say it before retards stop making this claim?

Literally any. It Follow, Unfriended, Nightlight, Sinister, The Conjuring, Insidious, et al.

Why do I say this? Because while none of those are very good, they at least manage to get one element of horror right.

ED doesn't get any. It's not scary, the story makes no sense, the characters are not likable, acting is bad (save the long-haired dude and the opening sequence) and the monster is not even cool to look at or wonder about. The whole thing is like a collage of body horror scenes.

Unfriended is very underrated. Aside from the ending it is extremely compelling and it feels genuinely fresh and the conceit is interestingly used.

Yeah, it wasn't terrible or anything. It wasn't scary, but you're left wondering what actually is going on.

It Follows is alright but the others aren't even scary. Not that Evil Dead was either, but it was at least entertaining.

No, it's not all that scary. I think it is extremely compelling though. The shots that linger on the blinking cursor as the characters type and edit their messages to one another are strangely potent and interesting. I think the movie is a little over the top in its condemnation of the internet but its points about the ease with which we can easily overlook the fact that the people we are speaking to on the internet are real people are pretty alarming and feel resonant.

Underrated shit. Hack reviewers just ripped into it because they assume any newish concept is cheap and silly.

I admire the concept and that it tries to do something unique with the found footage genre but to me those deaths were laughable.

Found footage is such a rich space for experimentation though.

You should see Redacted from 2007 if you haven't already. It's like Unfriended but about the Iraq War, composed of first person video blogs, Facetime chats and fake web videos. It's practically made to be downloaded in YIFY quality and watched on a laptop.

It's pretty adult though. It depicts some hard violence in much the same manner as exploitation films of the 70s used to.

Because the original Evil Dead's budget made a lot of the cracks show, which gave it a slapdash, lo-fi charm. The remake had a glossy Hollywood production and budget, so that aspect was gone.

The only real issue I have with the remake that there's no real main character to root for. I guess you could say that Mia is the lead, but she basically disappears for the entire second act of the movie while they try to fake you into believing that Hot Latino Not-Ash is going to be the last survivor. What I DID like about the remake is that they gave a physical form to the "ultimate evil," and the raining blood was really, really well done.

It didn't really have any likable characters, though. I know that's a trope of the horror genre, but you need at least ONE decent person to counterbalance the rest. Otherwise the deaths ring hollow.

Same broski

>it was at least entertaining

No, it wasn't. Not scary isn't a killer for a horror film. It's the toughest thing to get right.

The remake fails at every damned thing. I blame the director more than anything. The script isn't all that bad as it includes some backstory on the characters and the Abomination is an actual monster instead of a skinny Mia lookalke.

I was intentionally supposed to laugh at that one hippie looking motherfucker who kept getting the shit beaten out of him by deadites and still survived until the end when he gets drowned right?

>No, it wasn't.
yes it was. checkmate

Basically, yeah. It's entirely his fault that shit hit the fan.

What was entertaining about it, buddy?

youtube.com/watch?v=c-8JuxUMRNI
They did, but forgot to put it on the blu ray

WTF. Was it some kind of rights issue?

Thanks for the Redacted comment. I'm going through a big De Palma moment right now, working my way through a lot of his movies. I plan on watching Redacted after I check out Casualties of War as they're his only two war movies. You've made me much more interested in watching it than I had been.

>People criticized this movie for not being as funny/campy as the original.
The original was neither of those.

That's literally what OP said.

I probably would have noticed that if I bothered to read the post.

interesting, thanks for sharing

This is true but one nod towards humor is the victrola tune playing towards the end.

there's an NC-17 version out there that includes that scene