It's 0 bitches

Implicitly 1
Explicitly 16

Ok ready, use the rules you never lose.
8/2(2+2) =X
8/2*4= X
8/8=X
X=0 mudder fuckers

How the fuck is it ever 16? You solve the brackets first, no matter how you do it

8/8 is not 0, you retard

8 divided by 8 = 0
Nice

suck a dick fuck face

X always = 0
YOUR NEVER WRONG!!!!!!

show me how to 1

1 or 16, and i aint showin shit. Go back to elementary school bitches.

are you rarted

/trollthread

>no naruto hentai

The "OLD MATH" obelus symbol actually makes sense, new does not.

The obelus means left side term over right side term. Thus: 8 / [2(2+2)]. This was actually the accepted process for an obelus for almost 200 years before some fag decided in his text books it would mean something else.

Fine, lets solve brackets first.
(2+2) = 4
That leaves us with 8 ÷ 2 × 4..
Fuckin idiot...

OP is right you retards.... Order of operations. Solve exponents first, which equals out to be 8, then you do divisions, 8/8= 1

my logic says
8/2(2+2)
4 (4)
therefor it must be 44

There some dumb bastards in here

What? Do you not know how to solve brackets? Go back to 5th grade and then you'll know that you come with 8/8, not that shit..

You dont even know what an exponent is ,retard

user is right
PEMDAS

I meant brackets

What? Is 2 + 2 not 4 ? Are there more brackets im not aware of in that equation?

P arenthesis
E xponent
M ultiply
D ivide
A dd
S ubtract

Literally 8th grade math you cunts

Its not 8/2x4
its 8/2(4)

how do you divide 8 by 2(4).....I dont think you can

PEMDAS

Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiply
Divide
Add
Subtract.

So it's 8.
However these problems are fucking retarded. In an actually math environment the would just write the problem as a fraction, once you exit 3rd grade you don't use a fucking ÷ anymore.

There are no exponents you daft cunt. It's parenthesis first, which is 4, then multiplication (implied by the presence of a number directly outside the parenthesis with no intervening symbol) and division, which have the same priority and are as such executed left to right.

8/2*4 becomes 4*4 becomes 16.

Python 2.7.13 (default, Mar 17 2017, 18:52:25)
[GCC 5.3.0] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> 8/2*(2+2)
>>>

The space between the parenthesis implies multiplication you retarded faggot

Sorry kiddo

New math implies it. Old math dictates a rule of solving.

But based on the BEDMAS logic you have to divide first but you cant in this case. So you have to solve the multiplication first in order to divide.

You have to multiply both numbers inside the brackets with 2. so 2 x 2 is 4, and 2 x 2 is another 4. The sum is 8.

Kys homo

The problem
8/2(2+2)
PEMDAS states we do parenthesis first
8/2(4)
Now that only (M)ultiplication and (D)ivision are left, we get rid of the (parenthesis) and change it into a multiplication sign
8/2*4
Now we go left to right, as PEMDAS states. We don't start off where the parenthesis left off, we start where the problem starts.
4*4
The answer

8/2(2+2)
8/2(4)
4(4)

left to right
left to right
you fucking shitstick

it's 16, fucking 5th grade math

8/2(2+2)
8/2(4)
8/8

>I'm smarter than a calculator

/thread

Solve it by this way: Do you still get the same answer?

----
2(2+2)

Just because parentheses are first in PEMDAS doesn't mean you do the 2(4) first. 2(4) is the same as 2x4, meaning it's technically multiplication which comes later in the order. So once it comes out to 8÷2(4), it is literally the same thing as 8÷2x4. After that, according the PEMDAS, you get to multiplication and division, and I don't want to hear any dumass mother fuckers say you do the multiplication first just because it comes before division in the name. Multiplication and division go in the order from left to right in the equation, meaning you do the 8÷2 to get 4, then it's 4x4 which is 16. Some of you people need to admit yourselves to mental hospitals

left to right

Wrong. You dropped the parentheses before you completed the operation. You must continue with the parentheses on either side. You can't just do the inside of the parentheses and then drop them. Everything touching the parentheses comes first before you can proceed with PEMDAS.

I remember that now after posting

For once OP is right on one of these threads

Lmao you're so fucking dumb. You have to complete the operation. 8/2(4) makes no sense..... 2 has to be multiplied with both sides of the brackets then the two 4's added togethor for a sum of 8.

Not how that works. What are you, 12? Or is this the garbage that common core teaches these days

This is why you dont use %. This is just shitty notation. The question comes down to whether you interpret this garbage literally only used in elementary school notation as...

8/(2(2 +2)) vs 8/2 *(2 +2)

Please excuse my dear aunt Sally.

You don't use the distributive property you fucking moron. It's addition inside the parentheses, distribution doesn't come into this equation at all

8/2 (2+2)

8/2*4

Order of operations, when multiplying etc you do them in order, (unless there's a minus or a plus, those are automatically the latter ones you do)

4*4=16

Learn your math, Sup Forumsros.

Stop posting this stupid thread...

go end yourselves

Global rules of math.
1. Parenthesis has priority over all
2. Division and multiplication have the same priority, if both exists in the same equation, left to right unless parenthesis says otherwise.
3. Division and multiplication have priority over addition and subtraction.

8/2x(2+2) = 8/2x(4) = 4x4 = 16

Any other answer is incorrect according to the global standards used by any respectable universities and mathematicians.

What fucking university do you go to that they use % for division...

except you're just plain wrong

There's no division sign on the keyboard and that's the closest it looks to it asshole

>BOMDAS
>(mathematics, acronym) Brackets, then order, then multiplication and division, then addition and subtraction; a mnemonic for arithmetic order of operations, with B first and AS last.

8 / 2(2+2) =
8 / 2(4) =
8 / 8 = 1

Niggers who say otherwise never got past primary school

I have never, nor will I ever state that any school uses the percent sign as division. You drunk mate?

So type it out
See ->

Why did you prioritise the brackets at the start but not in the middle

Good old BODMAS

Great argument. Did daddy tell you that? Is your daddy related to Einstein and now you're a mathematical genius and all who questions you don't understand math?

/ you fucking idiot

16 is the only answer.

Where the fuck you get BOMBDAS? It's PEMDAS. Those are parentheses not brackets dumbfuck. These are brackets
[ ], these are parentheses ( )

Because a bracket should be treated as a separate equation, and the answer to that equation is the number that shall be in its place.

8/2x4 = 1
If I write 8/2x(4) the 4 is not an equation, it's a set value.

Dude Python is dumb as shit and doesn't use BODMAS/PEDMAS, it just parses one character at a time left to right. To solve with Python you'd need to add extra brackets: 8 / (2*(2+2)).

>Parenthesis has priority over all
Correct
>8/2x(4) = 4x4
This is where you fucked up. The 4 is still in brackets, so you hafta resolve 2(4) first. 2x4 is 8, then 8/8=1. You can't just have the brackets disappear lmao.

This

it's 2 you fucking retards
8/2(2+2)
8/2(4)
4*4
wait

>This is where you fucked up. The 4 is still in brackets, so you hafta resolve 2(4) first. 2x4 is 8, then 8/8=1. You can't just have the brackets disappear lmao.

Are you stupid? The 2 is not inside the brackets. Also known as parenthesis in regular english.
The equation inside parenthesis is calculated first, once the value is calculated, the parenthesis doesn't mean anything.

Why does no one realize the notation is just ambiguous? This is why people dont use %

Dividing and multiplying are equal to eachother so you just go from left to right which makes it 16.

you went to foundation level maths I'd say?

all our teachers told us () are brackets, thats the rule we used, I remember getting all my questions right using bomdas with question like this. You retards just try to figure it out because OP told you the answer is not "1", you silly dingus, it is 1, he's just fucking with you

No you prioritise it because the 2 is outside it making it a sum you'd be right to prioritise the dividing 8 by 2 if there was no brackets but because the brackets are still there you need to prioritise multiplying 2 by 4 thus making the final sum 8/8 according to bodmas

8/2*(2+2)
8/(4+4)
8/8 = 1/1 = 1

quit making these shitty boring math threads you cancerfaggot

This

This is what you wrote in "old math", retard.

8÷(2(2+2))

Notice it doesn't match the picture? You're an idiot who can't into Maths.

No, only the inside of the parenthesis matters. Once the parenthesis is a single value, they are obsolete.

BOMDAS doesn't make sense though. Why would the O stand for order when the acronym itself is telling you what order to do the equation in? That's retarded thinking. I learned PEMDAS. Parentheses, Exponents (which your acronym fails to address), multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction.

>once the value is calculated, the parenthesis doesn't mean anything
It obviously fucking does, because "8 / 2 * 4" is ambiguous and has multiple answers, whereas "8 / 2(4)" does not. 2(4) involves brackets so it still has priority.

BODMAS is generally used in the UK. "Order" is an old term for "power", i.e. exponents. It means the same thing.

>8/2x(2+2)
So google is wrong?

2(4) is not technically using parentheses. 2(4) is literally a copy paste of 2x4. The P in PEMDAS just means to do the things inside the parentheses first, not the stuff added on the side of it

Why not just putting additional parenthesis ?

8/(2(2+2)) = 1
(8/2)(2+2) = 16

Or use LaTeX: \frac{a}{b}

is it 16 or am I retarded

Yeah why not just stick a +7 at the end as well?

You're retarded