Any teachers in here Sup Forums? Hate talking with people, but got the opportunity to do it...

Any teachers in here Sup Forums? Hate talking with people, but got the opportunity to do it. Looking to see if teaching is only for ourgoing charasmatic people.

hello

Not a teacher but i think i'd enjoy it, not an easy enough market tho for me.
I'd be teaching probably either AP calc and physics in high schools or just math and engineering classes at university

I'm an introvert with social anxiety disorder. Been a teacher for going on 7 years now, plus some time spent at private tutoring place and 8 months as an English "teacher" in Japan.

"Hate talking with people" can mean a lot of different things, but my advice is you should really consider exploring whether that's a casual "I kind of prefer to be alone" or a full-blown mental disorder (like me). Social anxiety has been the #1 hindrance and source of stress at my job, although in recent times I've been going through cognitive behavioral therapy and it's improved immensely.

Any questions?

op makes thread, doesnt care about answering ppl trying to help; another day in faggotland

Yes I've taught English in the past and I'm currently a Math teacher.

Being confident is important, classroom management is fucking everything, clear expectations and following through, if you explode with anger they won't respect you ever again.

I'm a special education TA right now, but I have a teaching certification for my state. I've also done sub work and TEFL overseas. Ask me anything.

That's assuring. I have a blunt honest personality, (call it as i see it)and don't gloss things over well. I'm trying to decide if you can thrive in this sort of job with that approach

Thanks. This my main concern. I bottle anger easily, so I'm figuring if theres anyway to adapt here

I teach ESL (English is a Second Language). I am fairly charismatic and outgoing - still get nervous every time I teach. Every. Time. Class usually goes well and everything is fine, great even, 95% of the time. But I still get anxious.

To answer your question, no, it's not. But if you don't have that charisma, you better make damn sure you are passionate AF about what you're teaching or at least the basic idea of helping people learn. Just my two cents.

>"well you're a little faggot aren't ya"
>"Steve, he's 7"
>"call em like I see em"

Why did you put teaching on quotes, just curious?

>got the opportunity to do it

I'm curious what this means. If it's one of those shits where they give you a week of """""training""""" and then throw you in an inner-city nightmare classroom, I would strongly recommend against it. Teaching well is immensely more difficult than Western society seems to think it is, and takes a lot of training and self-study and reflection to git gud.

I know not everyone has the ability to do so, but I'd strongly recommend researching and finding a university that has a good teacher prep program. This kind of program usually is a year of college classes followed by a year of mixed college classes and student teaching, transitioning into full-time student teaching for at least a semester. I went that route and felt like it was well worth it. Of course, your first year as an independent teacher you're going to suck dick regardless but at least if you have a solid background you'll be able to apply things you learned EVENTUALLY, once you're not in survival mode anymore.

Probably didn't teach much, and looked at the whole thing like a vacation

Depends on the class, I would assume. If you teach, say, high school calculus, you can probably be a lot more sardonic and blunt than if you teach 1st graders.

Good point, i am fairly passionate about my major despite my people hesitation

don't be a dick and train in a job your gonna hate especially teaching

Can you at least pretend to enjoy talking with people for at least eight hours a day? If not, then teaching probably isn't for you.

I worked my ass off, actually. The reason I put it in quotes is that the Japanese teachers view you simply as "person who speaks English natively", not as an actual teacher. And to be fair, you don't do nearly the amount of stuff that the Japanese teachers do, or as much as a teacher in America would do. e.g. you have nothing to grade, no parent contact, no meetings. You do have to come up with lessons and teach them, but that's it. That really only takes up like half a day though.

It would be teaching fine arts. Cant say fine arts has many job routes, but I do have the qualifications to teach with this bfa so im strongly wieghing options

thanks for answering.

Yeah ha I was about to respond to and say it probably involved more work than you think.

That's interesting what you say about how the instructor is regarded, I wonder if that's related to then being an ethnically homogeneous society that views everyone as outsiders first. I feel like that mentality would lead to that way of thinking about teachers but maybe I'm way off.

I've thought about trying to teach abroad over there (kinda like starting with the deep end of the pool) but I want to actually finish learning Spanish so probably South or Central America for me.

Sounds similar to my experience in Korea. You're paid more and work fewer hours than the Korean teachers, but still get treated like a dumb foreigner.

Did either of you work at a university though? I'm just finishing my MA for the sole purpose of not having to work k-12 (hopefully)

Roast me /b UwU

Piggybacking on this:

The absolute best classroom management is making a connection with each kid, making it clear that you care about them, and that whatever rules that are in place are 100% meant to keep the peace and ensure everyone's safe and their learning isn't interrupted, not just to boss them around.

Unfortunately this is very difficult to do as a new teacher because if you're a little too friendly they walk all over you, and if you're a little too strict you're an asshole and they don't feel like you care about them. There's a perfect middle ground where they know your role is not "friend" or "dictator" but rather "guide/mentor".

I haven't found a single source that really encapsulates all my conclusions about classroom management so I would recommend reading a variety of well-regarded works and synthesize what works best for you:

>First Days of School by Harry Wong
>Teaching with Love and Logic by Fay and Funk
>Positive Discipline in the Classroom by Nelson and Lott
>Setting Limits in the Classroom by Mackenzie and Stanzione
>all of Rafe Esquith's books

No, I taught elementary kids in Korea. But there are plenty of places where you can teach adults. It doesn't necessarily have to be through a university.

Elementary and middle school in Japan.

shit I forgot one of the best ones:

>Teach Like a Champion by Lemov (I've only read the original but there's a 2.0 out)

I'm still new and not super sure where to start. Any recommendations for postings or where to look?

Dave's ESL Cafe can be a good place to start. I found my job in Korea through a placement agency, but some of those can be sketchy and hard to trust.

Totally agree qith you. Thanks so muchs for tthe refwrences ;)