Is this the only "rivalry" where the better team cares about it but the worse team doesn't?

Is this the only "rivalry" where the better team cares about it but the worse team doesn't?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E-5ZGFC2Vz8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not sure if it's a rivalry, the fanbases don't like one another but they both seem to have local rivals who they hate a lot of more (United/Everton, Arsenal/Spurs).

This isn't even a rivalry its just a meme created by BBC pundits.

This.
It is not a real traditional 'rivalry"
Liverpool got eliminated by Chelsea for the title and several cups competition.
Chelsea got hurt by a ghost goal during a Champion League's KO round.
That's all.

This. Save for a lot of interesting games over the years, and a tug of war over Gerrard that Liverpool eventually won, there's no real rivalry other than two good teams usually contending for trophies.

Shit. Chelsea vs Liverpool is a rivalry now? Or is yet another promotional invention of English sports media?

Every match between two "big clubs" is derby now

>United
>Local rival
What did the burger mean by this?

It has been one since the mid-early 2000s

manchester is only about 30 mile from liverpool tbf

How fucking underage is this board now? They literally played in the knockouts of the CL 4 times in 5 years in the mid to late 2000s. The year they didn't play in the knockouts they were in the same group.

it's a really small island la

Doesn't really make it a proper rivalry though. No more so than all the top 6 teams compete against each other.

Manchester is really close to Liverpool. Hell of a lot closer than London, anyway.

So what? Bayern and Barca meet in the CL all the time, doesn't make them rivals.

>2004-05 semi-final (Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0; Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0) Liverpool won 1-0 on aggregate

>2005-06 group stages (Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0; Liverpool 0 Chelsea 0)

>FA Cup 2006 Chelsea 1 Liverpool 2
>Community Shield 2006 Chelsea 1 Liverpool 2

>2006-07 semi-final (Chelsea 1 Liverpool 0; Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0 - Liverpool won 4-1 on penalties

>2007-08 semi-final (Liverpool 1, Chelsea 1; Chelsea 3 Liverpool 2) Chelsea win 4-3 on aggregate

League Cup 2007 Chelsea 2 Liverpool 0

>2008-09 quarter-final (Liverpool 1, Chelsea 3; Chelsea 4 Liverpool 4) Chelsea win 7-5 on aggregate

That's a hell of a lot of games between 2005 and 2009, and they built up a little bit of a rivalry throughout that period

Then there's League Cup 2011 FA cup final 2012, League Cup semi 2015, but by then the Liverpool side in the mid to late 2000s was no more

There are 9 players since 2000 that have played for both sides, two of them went straight Chelsea -> Liverpool and three went Liverpool -> Chelsea

name em

>There are 9 players since 2000 that have played for both sides, two of them went straight Chelsea -> Liverpool and three went Liverpool -> Chelsea
>name em

Torres, Cole, Johnson, Sturridge, Anelka.....that's all I got.

And of course Rafa managed Chelsea, and Mourinho tried to get the Liverpool job all the way back in 2001 or 2002.

Joe Cole
Zenden
Benayoun
Torres
Meireles
Anelka
Johnson

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, I can't remember how many went directly though. I'm pretty sure Joe Cole did, and obviously Torres did

There is an extremely fierce hatred between the sides since Mourinho's first season at Chelsea, when he did a shhhhh gesture to Liverpool fans in the Carling Cup final, and then Liverpool won the CL semi that year with the ghost goal.

youtube.com/watch?v=E-5ZGFC2Vz8

Most of the hate comes from Liverpool fans, mind you. I think first and foremost they are jealous of Chelsea's success since the takeover, and long for the days when it was them on top of English football. But also just think of how often they play each other. Outside of the league, they have also played out an FA Cup final, League Cup final, FA Cup semi-final, and met in the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 AND 2009 Champions League campaigns. Finally, think of all the famous moments like the slip, Gerrard OG in 05 when Chelsea were tapping him up, ghost goal, Rafa's comments about Chelsea, on-pitch fights, Liverpool fans blaming Heysel on Chelsea supporters, Chelsea fans singing "murderers" during Hillsborough minute's silence, the list just goes on and on.

>Chelsea -> Liverpool
Cole, Sturridge
>Liverpool -> Chelsea
Torres, Meireles, Benayoun
>Others
Johnson, Zenden, Anelka

then the last one is weird, loaned from chelsea to liverpool, who of course wouldn't play him much.. Victor Moses

>Most of the hate comes from Liverpool fans, mind you. I think first and foremost they are jealous of Chelsea's success since the takeover

Lel

Benayoun Meriles and Johnson were direct transfers.

Guess where they won their PL medals? :^)

No wait. Johnson went to Portsmouth.

chelsea are much more butthurt about liverpool than vice-versa

There's a little more back story and I'll try to minimize the filler but Liverpool were constantly critical of their owners being corrupt and impassionate during the 2000s while /lifelong/ chelsea owners kept trying to buy Gerrard. The fiasco was that Gerrard didn't want to go (but as we've seen with Andy Carroll that means shit) unfortunately for Gerrard, his fans were sending death threats and Liverpool FC is more than football, its the culture of the entire city.

So anyway, as it turns out the owners of LFC were corrupt bastards who ran the club in the 00s selling their best players despite Gerrard's best efforts on and off the pitch. Chelsea kinda sucked the limelight off them directly and indirectly.

Man U and Arsenal were already doing that, but Chelsea didn't have the history they did. A blip in the 90s didn't matter to them because they were coming back in the 00s. Chelsea (moreso Hicks and Gillet) ruined them. I mean they bought Torres for 50m and used him for a CL campaign they won. Thats like rubbing salt into Gerrard's wounds.

>Chelsea (moreso Hicks and Gillet) ruined them
>my fucking dick when that Gronkjaer goal basically ruined the next decade or two for Liverpool

Are you serious? Liverpool fans literally blame Chelsea for their failure to win the league in the '13/14 season. You know, that slip?

The goal that cost 1 billion ruined LFC forever.

The owners were actually fine for the 2000s. The problem was in 2007. Moore had the option to sell to one of two groups

1. Hicks and Gillet, who were already famous in the USA for bankrupting their last sports team (Texas Rangers)
2. The United Arab Emirates

Moore sold to Hicks/Gillett. The Arabs decided to just buy Man City instead. Then Hicks and Gillett spent the next 3 years completely destroying Liverpool, until some guys from Boston came along and saved them from bankruptcy.

What "slip"?

*fine for most of the 2000s

Enter Roy Hodgson.

>Hodgson

That had to be the funniest part. Playing Kochensky in the best team ever with Torres and Ngog in a 442 only to lose to Wolves and Blackpool at home and blame the fans for not being passionate enough.

Where are you watching 2nite ?

Torres, Meireles and Benayoun from Liverpool to Chelsea
Moses? and Sturridge from Chelsea to Liverpool