>tfw you never got to see this in cinemas

Should I just kill myself?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sMCXrlxkhx0
mega.nz/#!7FwgVDyD!nZlKYimrOpMrCzYza96-PafULHs15v3pqKefBHcJYiw
princecharlescinema.com/performances/?format=calendar
youtu.be/k6C8SX0mWP0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That would be the preferable course of action. Unless you're law enforcement, in which case jk.

it's not something that needs to be seen in theater so it's okay

>not seeing it in glorious 3D HFR Dolby Vision

>mfw I saw it in the theaters for the first time

How the fuck did you miss out on them? Were you literally born in 1996?

I probably would if I were you desu (to be honest)

I had an eye surgery when the first one came out and I watched it with an eyepatch on. Still blew me away.

>tfw went to see LOTR in theaters after middle school and then went home to play LOTR custom maps in WC3

>tfw my mom was a huge fan of the books, and I got to skip school to see it on opening day.

this was before all that midnight opening bs

1995. I watched them on DVD with my Dad. It wasn't bad but it kinda sucked because he saw them in cinema with my older brother.

There was a marathon of all 3 at a movie theater in LA today.

95 as well, I saw the last two in the cinema but we got Fellowship on DVD.

yeah this

if you look for good movie theaters they often replay old classics

theres a great theater near me that recently replayed Predator and Goodfellas on the big screen

shit was cash

Do US theaters actually do this?

I was born in 1995 and saw all three in theatres.

I'm pretty upset now, senpai

Tbf I don't remember the first two.

Is there a more comfy kino?

Only the nice theaters in rich areas that can afford to waste a screen.

Theater about 20 minutes from me has a room that they dedicate to old films. I go and see some every now and then if it's something I'm interested in. It's not a bad night out.

You won't see it in ghettoland cuz ain't nobody out there watching that shit.

>missed out on seeing LOTR in theaters
>saw the hobbit 3 in theaters

perhaps in the future we can delete certain memories and then we can watch lotr in the theaters for the first time again

I remember seeing the third one in theaters when I was younger. Best experience, unfortunately I had to sit in the first row due to me being young and going so late.

I kinda enjoyed the first hobbit in the theaters.
It's a decent flick until the goblin cave.

It wasn't BAD, the whole time I was thinking "man did I forget about this, or did they add this in?".

>camping out in the cinema line three days before
>wearing LotR costume, like everyone else in line
>creepy guy in Nazgül costume behind you never speaks
>those late-night heated lore conversations
>impromptu sword fights on the sidewalk
>lifelong friends united by their love of a universe
>that exhilirating moment when the ticket sales finally opened

You just don't know what it was like, man. Best experience of my life.

Wait. Are we talking about hobbit 1 or 3? Because hobbit 1, was not that bad, yes.
But, hobbit 3, I dont even consider that a film. It's just a weta digital showreel.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD

kkk

Just go to an independent cinema that screens old movie marathons like the PCC

princecharlescinema.com/events/the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-extended-editions/

Are you talking about the Vista in LA? That place is great.

Guess it depends on the city, but LA has at least 4 theaters that regularly screen old movies. is mostly right. You'll only find these theaters in whiter areas of town.

Saw all three in theatres as they were coming out, then several years later saw all three in a row in a special feature deal.
11/10 would recommend.

>ywn get to show your children this in theaters

youtube.com/watch?v=sMCXrlxkhx0

holy shit are you me

We are talking about the experience of seeing it for the first time, in the theaters.
I don't think you can re-create those feels, user...

>extended editions

True pleb filter here. Plebs think longer = better. 'Ricians know it ruins the pacing.

Dude... I want this

>not buying a theater after most of them go defunct in the near future
>not showing it to you kids on the big screen

Post yfw someday the inevitable Ben-Hur-style remake will come for LotR.

>being this much of a fucktard
extended editions have more book references and are the kino way to go, fuck off

>muh fanwank

The films are already so different from the books that references are pointless. Who cares if they reference the fact that Aragorn is in his 90s when they've changed his entire character arc?

OP this is being screened in my local cinema today. I'm sure if you pay attention some theater around you will eventually do the LotR trilogy.

They aren't pointless if you are a bookfan. Makes sense for it to not be included in the theatrical editions but for those of us who grew up with and love the books, the extended editions are a shout out to a much beloved work of literature.
So don't watch them if you don't feel like putting in the extra time but just realize your opinion isn't the only perspective.

I did read the books. I read the Silmarillion and the unfinished tales and Children of Hurin and even Tolkien's fucking letters. The films are not faithful to the source material. Neither are the extended editions. They don't make it a more faithful adaption, they just tack on a bunch of extra backstory that ruins the flow. Peter Jackson isn't Ridley Scott, those movies were saved by editing.

so you didn't enjoy the films? why are you even in this thread? Just piss off back to /lit/

I did like the films. Judging an adaption by 'this references the book more so it's better' is a pleb opinion.

That's not what I'm saying.
I enjoy the added content to films I already loved.
I never said it was a good or even decent adaptation. But the extended editions do provide a few book moments and it was cool to see them realized.

A 90" screen with a high quality digital projector in a 20x20 room with high quality DTS surround will give you literally the same experience as seeing it in a theater.

>see Fellowship in theaters
>be blown away
>immediately go to the library afterwards
>borrow and read all 3 books
>blow through them at incredible speed
>excited as shit to see all this glorious shit in the next two

2001 was an exciting time

>tfw got to see on my birthday for three years running
Life was good.

Comfy LoTR thread is comfy

fellowship is still probably the best movie ive seen in theaters with my mom. next two not far behind.

good times, maximum comfy..

mega.nz/#!7FwgVDyD!nZlKYimrOpMrCzYza96-PafULHs15v3pqKefBHcJYiw

Dumping this, should be relevant

Nice, trips

fuck off with this shit, hobbit in 250 megs? that the deserved size for this dogshit

No, its a sample of the 48FPS bluray capture, my friend sent it to me just recently so I decided to upload it and share with you

Seeing Return of the King on opening day with my dad is one of my favorite memories

Bittersweet feels, we both loved the series so much and went to every movie together

Actually the deserved size for The Hobbit is about 300 pages.

what do you get from sharing with us then? nothing

it's three hours with almost nothing that happens, why do people keep saying this is good?

Remember seeing each with my dad when they came out. It was a sold out theater for return of the King and I held a piss for 3 and a half hours because the fight scenes were just too dank.

fellowship of the ring that is, only one I bothered with

If anybody here is from the UK and never got the chance to see these on the big screen, check out the prince charles cinema in London. They do a marathon screening of the extended cuts every few monthes. Great cinema, very reasonably priced (for London), well worth checking out. Watching 2001 there was one of my favourite movie moments.

In fact, have this month's schedule:
princecharlescinema.com/performances/?format=calendar

If any of you are going to see Akira on the 21st, I'll see you there.

>Nothing happens
>Get pursued by Witch Kings
>Meet Aragorn
>Frodo gets shanked
>Elves and Rivendel
>Orks and shit
>Saruman shenanigans
>Boromir bites it protecting the hobbits
>Sam dedicates himself to protecting Frodo
>The fellowship disbands

Not to mention the Balrog and all that shit with Gandalf. You're literally an idiot if it didn't grab your attention.

>Should I just kill myself?

Probably. Seeing these movies with my Dad are among my best memories. We saw every single on opening night

>Had the opportunity to see ROTK in cinemas
>chose to watch Elf instead

I know I was a kid at the time and all, but boy what a stupid decision by me

>tfw I was a little shit and watched 1 and 2 without getting too into it and didn't even watch 3
>tfw years later I watched it again when I had matured and felt the warm glory of the cum of the gods on my face

for me all that happened was some people walking from the hobbit village (essentially the human village, since movie don't explain the supposed difference between hobbit and human) to the elf village, then they meet some warriors who join them as they go to some river. every now and then some bad guys attack but are quickly dispelled/evaded. it's all just walking, walking, walking, with some interruptions.

"lol sauron is evil we must take magic ring to mountain to stop him!!"

>since movie don't explain the supposed difference between hobbit and human
>Supposed difference

Well then perhaps LotR just isn't your style. It wont stop it from being beloved by almost the entirety of human existence and it also wont stop you from replying to this post.

could be worse

Fellowship of the ring was my first movie seen on cinema

Page 10? Fuck that.

I understand that more people prefer the DVD cuts but I wish some cinemas would also screen the theatrical versions from time to time. I think they flow better, even if you lose some character development.

Seeing the charge of the Pellenor fields is one of my top cinema memories. I was 12 at the time and it completely blew me away.

i completely agree. ive never been a fan of the extended editions anyway, the films are better off without them.

I hope somebody beats you to death.

All three are masterpieces. Even two tower
>The tales that really mattered
youtu.be/k6C8SX0mWP0

DD sucks

I watched it as a kid, was pretty gud

Agreed. I don't regularly advocate beating people to death but this seems like a solid exception.

That's rad.

>tfw I don't even remember when was the first time I watched them
I have this feel that there was no first time at all, which sucks. I was too young and I've watched them countless times to remember correctly

yeah people tend to get angry when out of arguments

Why didn't they just drive those trucks to Mordor?

>tfw first exposure to LotR was the RotK gameboy advanced adaptation

GOAT game though.

>Fellowship and Harry Potter come out the same year
>dad takes me and little brother to see Harry Potter one weekend
>"Yeah it was pretty cool, dad."
>takes us to Fellowship the next weekend
>totally speechless, couldn't believe a movie could have such an effect on me

We lived in a smaller town, so the theater was shit. My brother and I went to Return and managed to get two seats, but people were standing in the aisles and girlfriends were sitting on boyfriends laps, kids were sitting on parents, it was a free for all. Fucking incredible times.

>people killed in 9/11 never lived to see Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings

makes u think

>Should I just kill myself?

Absolutely

>not the ps2 game
Step up.

>tfw never got to experience this
>tfw the new batch of kids that cosplay are the most insufferable creatures on earth

>epic nerd culture XD shit
Lord of the Reddit

>haven't seen any of the films, except for FotR when it was in theaters. I was 9 and couldn't really appreciate it.

>watch extended editions of FotR, last night .Blown away
>going to watch extended edition of two towers, tonight.

Should I see the extended or theatrical, for return of the king? I've heard mixed reviews

naw, the cinematography is green-brown (so earthy, cuz middle-earth, amirite)

then everything is so femine flowy, it's like sitting in a church sermon for hours except everyone's dressed up for fantasy cos-play

extended

There's bound to be some anniversary marathon that you can watch somewhere