Why is this movie so criminally underrated?

Why is this movie so criminally underrated?

Also, how come people weren't crying whitewashing and cultural appropriation about this one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PKBoMrgCAcg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightingale_floor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Brunet
youtube.com/watch?v=OUHHhuLUJy8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

People were, there's even that very famous skit Chapelle did where Paul mooney ridicules the premise.

You just happened to be like ten years old at the time of release probably.

The movie was also just okay.

They were but back then no one took them seriously

#REKT

>american soldier gets taken captive by samurai warriors
Why on earth would they cry whitewashing?

The Great Wall movie that people were crying about was also about white people going to China, but that didn't stop people

Best Watanabe movie

also great soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=PKBoMrgCAcg

this fall......

Tom Cruise is......

the Last Samurai

Because kids on the internet read too many satirical copy pastes and now think that roving diversity enforcement squadrons will send them to gender reeducation camp on a whim.

Except I'm pretty sure none of the advertisements actually ascribed him that label and the fact that people misconstrued the title came down to their own ignorance to the fact that 'Samurai' is plural, and "Last Samurai" thus referred to Watanabe and his group.

shockingly the samurai guy is the last samurai in the movie

>Tom Cruise cucks the Japanese guy he killed
kek

People bitched about it.

Funny enough, in Japan the movie was beloved because Tom Cruise is like a God over there.

>Also, how come people weren't crying whitewashing and cultural appropriation about this one?
Uh... maybe because the jap characters are actually japs, and because the "cultural appropriation" is a western savage learning about the sophisticated way of the samurai?

If anything, it's american-washing though.

The officer Japan had sent for a was french one if my memory serves me well.

>The Greal Wall
>Some European people go to China while the Great Wall is being built
>SJW's can't stop whining about whitewashing and cultural appropriation

>people are saying different retarded things now than they were a decade ago because certain subjects are topical in modernity and they can cash in on discussing them

WOW

People are dumber now and don't even research what they're pissed about

because it's based on historical events, besides the guy was actually French

You can't whitewash a white character.

>goddamnit why is everyone so fucking stupid
>why aren't more people interrigent, rike me?

>WE WUZ CHINESE AND SHIT

Is it actually a good movie??

I keep putting of watching it because i dont find Japan interesting. Is it as good as Gladiator or Braveheart?

I didn't know that. Good on ya user. I love this movie btw.
>tfw I also suffer from too many mind

>Put Billy Connolly in movie
>Kill him in the second scene thereabouts

The fuck?

>Why is this movie so criminally underrated?
because...
>Also, how come people weren't crying whitewashing and cultural appropriation about this one?
They were. People thought and still think the title refers to Tom Cruise's character. There was also alot of backlash against Cruise in those days. Just out of hipsterism. This was before the bulk of his Scientology hysteria.

It's funny because I'm told it was very popular in Japan.

10 years ago I'd have said it was very good but not that level. Now I actually prefer it to Braveheart at least. Where those two movies are rousing very emotional motivators The Last Samurai is a relaxing pretty zen movie. Has some beautiful visuals.

That's not the case he has a good few scenes. Listing Billy Connollys movies by screentime this one is probably quite high up the list.

Because it was before the social justice fad

It has similar themes to braveheart and gladiator but the main appeal is obviously about the samurai which ties in very closely with japan in cultural and political aspects

Nice cellphone you fucking sameguy.

>bringing anything by those stupid hacks Matt and Trey into a debate as if it helps prove your asinine point
>seriously dude how stupid are you to do that?
>maybe you should fuck off to reddit or something they love talking about their works there

>how come people weren't crying whitewashing and cultural appropriation about this one?

Different times. People hat better things to do back then.

>justice is a fad

>how come people weren't crying whitewashing and cultural appropriation about this one?
It doesn't work that way in the real world.

You should see how they're actually gaining ground, getting policies changed and affecting laws. You don't wake up one day and have it all changed, it's gradual, you learn about it bit by bit so it's not a shock.

>I'm a ninja, stealthy assassin, and my job is to kill a certain target in the village
>so me and my boys are going to launch an assault at a time when literally everyone is awake and able to respond in a coordinated manner
>that's so much better than waiting until 3am, sneaking in and murdering the target while he's asleep
>I'm sure my whole ninja clan can stroll through this and none of us will die

This movie was fucking retarded.

Wasn't it during a play when everyone was off their guard and having fun?

That's why i said the real world. I know about the takeover going on right now.

Even if they were doing it while no one was awake, old-timey Japanese buildings are made so that no one CAN sneak in them

>white
>handsome
>their form factor
Tom Cruise is definitely their guy.

Yes. The whole fucking village was awake and therefore able to respond.

Ninja were spies and assassins, not warriors. They would never attack in force like that. Especially when a smaller team going in later might be able to get in and out with a couple of kills and no casualties.

They're made of wood and paper. Literally paper.
How the fuck do you keep a determined assassin out of a paper house, you dickhead?

The architects back then built the houses to have squeaky floors on purpose. That way no assassin could sneak inside

It was made in a better time, OP, that's why. It's a shit movie, but it was made in a better time.

My tangential knowledge of Ninjas leads me to believe the movie Ninjas were inaccurate as fuck but their plan appeared to be shoot the head honcho while on stage and unload into the crowd, then take out the leftovers. Everyone was awake but also gathered into a small space. Their plan went to shit when the white guy noticed them with his superior width of vision.

>Shit movie
I disagree. It's a comfy movie.

>the white guy noticed them with his superior width of vision.
The white advantage

Please tell me you're trolling.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightingale_floor

it has my favorite scene in any movie to date for me

what was his fucking problem?

Yeah. SJWs have always existed, but they used to be a small fringe group that where easy to ignore.

>Disregard SJW's whining
>Make decent-good movies

>Listen to SJW's whining
>Make shit movies

Really makes you think

Some places may have had these floors, but it's a pretty stupid claim that they were a standard feature of every floor in every Japanese building.

You should also be aware that 99% of what ninjas did was spying. The presence of these floors and other security measures was hardly a deterrent.

Women detected. You all can't and will never understand this Kino, the honor, the sacrifice, the brotherhood and warrior spirit.

Go cry into a tampon or something.

Autism/10

I've not yet seen the Last Samurai but there definitely were American advisors present in Japan during the Boshin War.

Nightingale floors were pretty much only in big important rich people castles

It isn't

>muh honorabru jap warriors
It's a sack of shit

woman detected

>weeboo mad his shit fantasy is shit

>fantasy

If cruise's role had been played by a fat fedora the movie would be more historically accurate.

Its not underrated, its highly regarded, and people do bitch about it being whitewashed.

>highly regarded

Way to kill the thread, you weeb shitstain.

It's not, the japanese are crazy about it.

Because it's based on the real story of a frenchman who helped the shogunate forces against the meiji restoration.

He was horny

>Based on a real story
Barely.

Obviously. However there was a white guy helping the samurai fight against guys in shitty uniforms.

any source? sounds interesting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Brunet

Eh. It felt a bit to simple and naive. They set it in a historical setting but it feels more like a saturday morning cartoon version of the Satsuma Rebellion.

They could have made it interesting, the whole Meiji period and the westernization of Japan is a really fucking interesting subject but instead they just wanted to have 1600s samurai armed with katanas and nothing else and "honorabur warria" mixed with Pocahontas and it just ends up feeling silly.

It's pretty bland.

The real story is nothing like Last Samurai just so you know, entirely different

>Everyone was awake but also gathered into a small space.
As long as you are not armed with explosives or have a force that oumatches the enemy anyway, that is literally the worst time you could attack.

Maybe...maybe they're not ninjas. Maybe they are just soldiers carrying out a night raid on the samurai village. Maybe..

>I'm a ninja, stealthy assassin
>Falling for this meme
It's about as realistic as the "honorobu Samurai" shit, they were just peasants that murdered people for money, stealth isn't a per-requisite

Women can't understand this scene

They cut his top knot of :'(

But the events on that movie were not part of the Boshin War. Ken Watanabe is Saigo Takamori, a stupid asshat from Satsuma that betrayed the Shôgun back in the day, then found out how fucked up and retarded the Meiji emperor was and cried alone in his lands whining that he wanted the good old days back, where honor and patriotism meant something more than their country being the USA's whore.

What do you mean underrated, this piece of shit movie alone created a generation of unbearable fucking weebs.

woman

They should have just let him do his Korea idea, I mean they ended up taking it over anyway

The plural of Samurai is Samurai

Better than Braveheart but not even close to Gladiator.

Braveheart and The Only White Guy both suck ass.

What pisses me off is that they replaced the french guy the story is based on by an american because muh US

A Brunet movie would be miles more interesting than this simply because it's actually set during the Boshin War rather than the aftermath

How the fuck can you complain about whitewashing when its based upon a true story? Albeit it was a frenchie but wtf internet?

>social justice is justice
Nice doublethink there commie

Faggot/10

In the title 'The Last Samurai' the word Samurai is plural. It's referring to Katsumoto and his followers.

>m-muh dances with wolves in meiji japan

Dumb faggot, the movie is ok at best.

Could have been a good thread if you didn't start it off by being wrong about everything you said.

so only rich important people were able to hire samurai?
poor people could not affford to hire samurai did not hire samurai?

What sort of fucking question is this? Do you want someone to explain to you the complexities of the Japanese feudal system?

women could never understand this

youtube.com/watch?v=OUHHhuLUJy8

>Also, how come people weren't crying whitewashing and cultural appropriation about this one?+ 0 post omitted.
They were, and still are. you're just too young to remember/didn't see the bitching.

Because theyre not saying he was a born samurai, who was the best samurai because he was white. He was a white soldier who is trained by the japanese and comes to respect their way of fighting. Did you even watch the movie?

It's not underrated. It's a fucking god awful movie with some of the cringeiest dialogue ever.

>will you tell me how he died?
>no. But I'll tell you how he lived.

Fuck off