Third-Year Chemical Engineering Student, AMA

Third-Year Chemical Engineering Student, AMA

Mess around with ClF3 much?

If i paint my body with invisible paint i will turn invisible?

I used to do QC work on 49% HF, piped in 1" PFA overhead in hallway corridors

No idea what that means but how confident are you that you could make research chemicals or other other drugs? Meth is easy

Not too often.
Yes, but only if you do it with camouflage paint

Wouldn’t be to hard to make most drugs out there; there’s a reason they’re so prevalent in the first place.

Synthetic drugs, maybe. Those take a lot of specific heating / cooling and require a lot of specialized knowledge a single ChemE student probably couldn’t make them without equipment

Expected wage leaving university, can it be padded with experience

Get a masters too

yes ? no?

If one wanted to learn how to make synthetic drugs or extractions, what would they goto university for?

Median entry level right now (in the Midwest, where cost of living is cheap) is $75,000. Mid-career pay you could realistically break over $150,000, easily. Plus, with stock options, you could essentially be a millionaire by the time you retire.

best recipe for LSD?

Make LSD. Hasn't been anything real on the market since the big bust in the '90's. I know its difficult but make it a life quest.

Probably a liberal arts major, you fucking druggie.

>Assuming a long-term career in ChemE doesn’t pay more than dealing shitty drugs

unless your making something unique your just a chemist mixing chemicals.

it doesnt. your not going to amount to anything,. any company can look up how to mix things on google.

Chem E's are faggots. They know about as much chemistry as a high school grad so you're not gonna get anything asking about synthesis.

I'm a chem major who actually makes drugs.

Pic related: it's MDA, but chem e's can't read HNMR :^)

A solution of 100 g of 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde in 220 g nitromethane was treated with 10 g anhydrous ammonium acetate, and heated on a steam bath for 2.5 h with occasional swirling. The deep-red reaction mixture was stripped of the excess nitromethane under vacuum, and the residue crystallized spontaneously. This crude nitrostyrene was purified by grinding under IPA, filtering, and air-drying, to yield 85 g of 2,5-dimethoxy-beta-nitrostyrene as a yellow-orange product of adequate purity for the next step. Further purification can be achieved by recrystallization from boiling IPA.

In a round-bottomed 2 L flask equipped with a magnetic stirrer and placed under an inert atmosphere, there was added 750 mL anhydrous THF, containing 30 g LAH. There was then added, in THF solution, 60 g 2,5-dimethoxy-beta-nitrostyrene. The final solution was a dirty yellow-brown color, and it was kept at reflux temperature for 24 h. After cooling, the excess hydride was destroyed by the dropwise addition of IPA. Then 30 mL 15% NaOH was added to convert the inorganic solids to a filterable mass. The reaction mixture was filtered and the filter cake washed first with THF and then with MeOH. The combined mother liquors and washings were freed of solvent under vacuum and the residue suspended in 1.5 L H2O. This was acidified with HCl, washed with with 3x100 mL CH2Cl2, made strongly basic with 25% NaOH, and reextracted with 4x100 mL CH2Cl2. The pooled extracts were stripped of solvent under vacuum, yielding 26 g of oily residue, which was distilled at 120-130 °C at 0.5 mm/Hg to give 21 g of a white oil, 2,5-dimethoxy-phenethylamine (2C-H) which picks up carbon dioxide from the air very quickly.

>Like where do I go to learn what the fuck means

If get will you make and sell lsd?
i fucking need it man

Please make me some DMT

For everyone who's not autistic, and reading this entry level you make tips at the Cheesecake Factory for the first 2-3 years after you graduate until you get your "experience" which in engineering is actually really fucking important and it's not like serving stale hamburgers to drunks.
You're poor until you're 30, just like everyone else.
I'm just going to go be a doctor because math is hard.

This route used to be really common before the DEA watch listed LAH.

Now it's so expensive running a reduction with 30 g LAH is unthinkable. Not to mention being a massive fire hazard.

Aluminum amalgam is a much better reduction. It's also a big fuck you to nature when you dump a shitton of Mercury rich waste down the sewer.

Chem E here, we actually do use HNMR and IR pretty consistently, that is when we're not taking classes that make our degree much more valuable in the marketplace.

Why is it that when I try to remove Ferric Oxide with a diluted Sodium Bicarbonate Electrolysis the water always ends up turning black as soon as I turn on the car battery? Is this some sort of chemical reaction being accelerated by the electrical currents?

People just do peptide coupling with a chiral auxiliary now. LSD isn't nearly as involved as it used to be.