ITT: "artists" whose music careers exist solely due to their famous parents

ITT: "artists" whose music careers exist solely due to their famous parents.

Other urls found in this thread:

newrepublic.com/article/120996/mumford-sons-coldplay-other-privileged-musicians-taking-over-arts
33revolutionsperminute.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/lets-talk-about-class/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Go to bed Chris Ott

I'm glad she has famous parents because her music makes me feel good

WHo?

I just googled this jew. HOLY FUCK WHAT BORING MUSIC.

As long as Greta keeps making cute music, I couldn't care less who her parents are

well TECHNICALLY everything you do is soley based off your parents success in reproducing

explain please.. weak voice with no character, boring instrument and nothing out of the ordinary.
Just another white girl with a guitar and a bland voice..

absolutely wrong

A hell of a lot more artists than you would think

>doesn't think girls with guitars are cute
feel sorry 4 u

Chance the Rapper
The Strokes
Rockwell
Hot Chelle Rae
All of the Beatles kids
if it was a list of nepotism in, you could make a list of hundreds of artists.

why this shit haircut ?

I'd rather bang grimes.. atleast then i can rollplay that im fuckin a goblin.

>doesn't realize there are much cuter girls with guitars than this JAP
have some taste

her music is simple twee bullshit but for some reason I love it so much, it makes me feel happy.

Greta is a cute! A CUTE!

That isn't entirely wrong. Even though Tim was out of the picture for all of Jeff's life, early on Jeff got noticed by attending events about his father and performing a few of his songs. He even got in contact with his dad's manager to help get into the industry. Still, most of the success was due to Jeff's own initiative since he wasn't rich and most people have no idea who Tim Buckley is. And of course the genetics for that voice of his.

>implying I implied that she was the cutest girl with a guitar
obviously there are better but i try to actually enjoy things once in a while

How does that come from this?

>i try to actually enjoy things once in a while
boring things

Why try? Either you do or u dont.

She looks like my sister. I don't want to be a jew.

When I was a little kid, everyone in my neightbourhood called me nazi because I was so white among their shitty southern spanish skin. I was proud of mu skin colour... but I ended up being just a jew.

Got news for you, m80. If any "artist"'s career existed and it's not solely due to their famous parents, it's solely due to their rich parents. Pic related.

>I ended up being just a jew
what's wrong with that

i was at that show

I was proud of my white skin and blue eyes and everyone told me that I looked very european so I was also proud of my supposed european heritage. Like I said, I ended up being just a pale red-haired jew with muslim beard so it was quite a disappointment.

I'm not a white nationalist or a Sup Forumsfag btw.

it's ok to be a jew man, we're the master race.

>muh white girls

>>>/twitter/

How so?

is this jew adopted? no way this creature came out of her attractive parents

She just looks a lot like her dad.

dont insult kevin

there's a hell of a lot of nepotism and gatekeeping in the modern "indie" scene anyway, having famous parents is relatively rare and minor. how about all the artists who you've only heard of because they know the right people

>how about all the artists who you've only heard of because they know the right people

That almost always falls under rich parents.

Literally just look at the most popular band of all time.

The Beatles all came from working class backgrounds. George's family was straight up living in poverty.

that's part of it, yes. you also need to be friends with the gatekeepers at the big publications. on a related note, most pitchfork writers for example are friends of friends from college. just a small group of people deciding what music makes it and what doesn't

>He thinks The Strokes, arguably the biggest band in the world in their peak, only got popular because of Julian's rich dad who he didn't talk to
Really makes you think..

Beatles??
Didn't they come from lower middle class families? I mean, Paul's and johns mother's died when they were young

zentropy is a good album

You think the janitor or the pizza guy's kid has those kinds of connects?

what

what kind of retard are you

Rich parents. Keep up with the thread.

You can make connections, you aren't limited by the ones that you inherit from your parents.

in what world do you have to be "rich" just to go to college and suck up to some hipster fucks

>arguably the biggest band in the world in their peak
lol the strokes were never big. they had one """good""" AKA Extremely overhyped album

"good" and "big" are not the same thing

Do you seriously want me to sit here and find you tuition and room and board costs on a mid-level state college? Pull your head out of your ass.

do you understand how many people go to college? there has to be a bar for rich or it loses its meaning completely. it's not just "has more money than me," get the chip off your shoulder

>do you understand how many people go to college?

Do you understand what a speculative bubble is? Do you understand how many people are actually not approved for those loans? Do you understand that all 200,000 of those dollars need to be payed back PLUS interest?

If this is something you're just taking in stride, you're a rich kid.

>Do you understand what a speculative bubble is? Do you understand how many people are actually not approved for those loans? Do you understand that all 200,000 of those dollars need to be payed back PLUS interest?
don't shift the discussion user

the fact you're admitting there are lots of people at college with shitty loans is my point. there are a lot of people who aren't "rich" at college, whether that's a good idea for them is not what we're talking about

We're talking about how people actually make careers. And the hard truth is, popular music, and yes, even the cool indie rock p4k darlings, is a rich man's sport.

If you're crushed by owing the price of a small house in the Los Angeles area, and you're lucky to get a job as the cashier at the local hardware store, or whatever, trust me, you're not making a career out of your music anytime soon, unless you're exceptional at negotiations and your music.

You'd be surprised how many of even the most underground artists have trust funds.

Kys rich apologist

Corporate faux slacker indie is the most embarrassing thing

the strokes played sold out shows all across the globe my guy

and i dont even like their music

>embarrassing
not really, it's just making fun of poor people

>When Swift was 14, her father relocated to Merrill Lynch’s Nashville office as a way to help Taylor break into country music. As a sophomore in high school, she got a convertible Lexus. Around the same time, her dad bought a piece of Big Machine, the label to which Swift signed.

yeah taytay was spoiled as fuck

The point is that rich parents help with that a lot, can pay for nicer schools and for their kids to live in more connected hip neighborhoods etc, not that rich parents are a necessity.

90% of "indie" artists that play at places like the Echo and get featured in thrasher mag have parents in the industry. Ariel Pink and John Maus are possibly the only original and hardworking indie pop artists and surprise surprise they're men

cannot tell if this post is pro sexism or anti sexism

Fuck this bitch.

Who is she im at work

Anti sexism in a broad sense, but "sexist" in an immediate sense for pointing out most female indie musicians spew the same bland dream shoegaze Garage pop garbage like cherry glazer then slap a lazy corporate feminist message on it. But that's what happens when an entire generation looks up to fucking bikini kill

>I was also proud of my supposed european heritage
You were proud to be called something you're not?
I'm not saying you should be ashamed, but why did you let other stupid kids dictate your perception of yourself man
Sad

Gone too soon

>mfw people actually like taylor swift

get off Sup Forums ur gonna lose ur job

So that's what she'd look like without the surgery and professional hair/makeup...

/thread

one of the guitarist's dad is a world famous musician.
i meant the children on the beatles

Yep.

It's more about powerful parents than famous parents.

For the last decade or so music scene no different than Hollywood in that respect. That's including the fake indie scene.

except instead of parents it's kurt cobain

i dont think you know what world famous means

>everything you do is soley based off your parents success
not true at all unless you use their influence to your advantage

albert hammond is pretty famous. had hit all around the world

this is so absolutely true i hate the fact he came from such an interesting band to make some of the most generic music on the face of rock music and live off the legacy he kept the rhythm of

great reading here on the topic

newrepublic.com/article/120996/mumford-sons-coldplay-other-privileged-musicians-taking-over-arts

Anons should specifically look at the parents/family of current 'indie' rockers.

Ok tell me how far you would have gotten in life if you weren't conceived

This. There's a local goth band from Dallas called Bathhouse and they're all former polo-wearing middle class kids who live with their rich dads. They've got a music video out that has few views, but I guarantee you it'll be the thing that markets their music if they make it big or whatever. It seems as though the Dallas scene is setting them up to be huge.

Still a cutie imo

>coping this hard
There's a lot of indie rock groups that are genuine trust fund babies but the strokes are just a poor example

Ok so according to this thread every musician that had a vaguely famous musician parent only got a carrer because of them. If not tell me one that is the opposite then

>having celebrity connections is no help at all especially when its your parents
it doesn't judge their music, just how it came to be.

i dont like his music but dave grohl is a monster talent and youre a fag

>dave grohl is a monster talent
kek

he's an above average rock drummer. that is all.

>"but daaaaadddy I want to make mediocre soft rock and reach the pinnacle of my career by covering half a David Bowie song for Godzilla starring Ferris Buller!"

meh. at least he didn't try to hide it.

his dad was a keyboardist for Frank Zappa

Op said solely due to their famous parents but ok. What i'm trying to say is that no one here is able to know if their famous parents really helped. Anyways, it's funny to think this thing about parents, cause maybe some parents helped their child carrer in music by being terrible and traumatizing them.

another very good article lads

33revolutionsperminute.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/lets-talk-about-class/

>What i'm trying to say is that no one here is able to know if their famous parents really helped.
Yeah I'm going to go out on a ledge here and suggest that Julian Lennon might not have have gotten a record contract entirely on merit.

baka

Of course it matters. Are you fucking dense?

>rich kids are the ones who can afford to be in bands
>somehow everyone is shocked as if it wasnt always this way

>no one here is able to know if their famous parents really helped

yeah having a great excess of disposable income, the time to devote oneself to hobbies an interests full-time, and a wealth of connections to those who work in various media handed down to you by name. There's just NO way for us to tell if these things really helped them, guys!!!

>>somehow everyone is shocked as if it wasnt always this way
It wasn't. Most of the big 80s indie bands came from legit middle class backgrounds.

Today it's the children of the rich, the powerful, and products of certain small private colleges.

Do I count?

My father was Adolf Hitler.

okay schlomo

bland dream shoegaze Garage pop garbage is not even remotely exclusive to women though