Deadwood - Worth Watching?

Is Deadwood worth watching considering it was cancelled and has the story never concludes? I'm on the fence between watching this and Fargo. Everybody I ask says Deadwood is the better choice but the lack of a real ending is somewhat off putting? Should I just watch it anyway?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasujirō_Ozu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Absolurely. And eventough it ends prematurely it seems clear that in tje end tey will loose their fight against "civilization""

The story does conclude, just in a really shitty way.

Nope. It's actually pretty bad. Sup Forums loves it because the main characters say cock and tits every other word -- same reason they loved John Lithgow's Dexter season, even though it was objectively terrible -- but it's not a good show. Bad cinematography, horrible acting, good costumes and sets, and a go-nowhere plot. Not worth watching unless you just like filthy language and love wasting time.

What a fucking Pleb

Aren't they doing a movie of this?

deadwood is so patrician it hurts. imagine if HBO still made shows like this.

Deadwood re-used actors. The same guy who shot Wild Bill was Hearst's right-hand man. That's soap opera/Star Trek tier tvcraft. No excuse for it. Deadwood was a bad programme and was canceled for a reason.

Imo Deadwood is still essential despite getting cut off early.

While the 3rd season obviously wasn't intended to be the last it still contains a solid self contained story arc with a beginning middle and end.

Honestly there is so much to love about it that its abrupt ending really doesn't hurt it at all for me.

The cliffhanger ending is annoying but yes I'm of the opinion that well-crafted shows are worth watching even if they end on a cliffhanger and DW most definitely belong in that category. There's also a good chance we're getting a proper ending. HBO has announced a film. (I know that's no 100% guarantee, considering it's HBO we're talking about but still.)

>bad cinematography
>horrible acting
Deadwood. We're talking about Deadwood here, not sure what show you're thinking of but it definitely isn't Deadwood.
>even mentioning fucking Dexter in the same breath as Deadwood
Your opinion is dumpster tier.

Yes, OP. It's some of the best written television of all time, hands down.

Post some great shots from Deadwood, any season.

The show has an ending for every plot that matters.

The actual flaw of the show is that the first season takes a long time to pick up (moreso considering how they slowly pivoted away from Bullock as the main protagonist to an ensemble), and the third has a million new characters and subplots that aren't interesting at all. The end is the least of it's troubles

How is the ending incomplete? Alma leaves camp and sells to Hearst, signalling the end of the residents making their own living. EB gets to be the mock-mayor. Jane and Jodie give each other a reason to live. Bullock is voted out of office. Al ends the show the same way he started it despite showing so many hints at legitimate growth. A fire brigade is started even though the town will burn to the ground 15 years later. It's all wrapped up

>implying i have a folder of random shots from various tv series
it's a well-shot show. i found this in like ten seconds, which is a very angular and well composed frame.

And it doesn't make us witness how our dear Doc dies, at least.

Oh wow, a person in the center of a doorway surrounded by a high-school-tier set. Yeah great cinematography there.

Never mind, you don't know what you're talking about and I don't want to discuss cinematography with you.

It's cinematography was fine. The show had great writing, acting and complex characters which matter more

The writing was great. The acting WAS NOT.

What so bad about the acting

fargos good.

dunno about deadwood.

>the low camera, reminiscent of Ozu
>geometric patterns perfectly depicted
>characters interestingly framed, playing on the tension between them
>lit in a way to lend a rustic atmosphere to the show
You know nothing about cinematography obviously and are just talking out of your ass.
>calling the Deadwood sets high-school tier
You do realize that they built the entire town from scratch, right? It's one of the best set and costume jobs in tv history and is genuinely better than most movies.

Did Ian McShane fuck your girlfriend or something? I can't figure out why you're trashing something as objectively great as Deadwood.

>>the low camera, reminiscent of Ozu
Stopped reading there but did laugh

>bad acting
The Reverend, The Doctor, E.B. Farnum, Dan, and Al just to name a few are all extremely well acted, way above what you can expect from most shows, even HBO shows.

the fuck are you talking about

The only bad actors are Bullock, Charlie and Trixie

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasujirō_Ozu
>In 1928, Shiro Kido, the head of the Shochiku studio, decided that the company was to concentrate on making short comedy films without star actors. Ozu made a series of these films. The film Body Beautiful, released on 1 December 1928, was the first Ozu film to use his trademark low camera position.
So, again, you genuinely don't know what the fuck you're talking about. I assume you think that a backlit show of someone's face half in the light and half in the dark is 'good cinematography'.

I'm familiar with Ozu, being native Japanese and a film studies major.

Fargo is better than Deadwood. Surprised anyone would tell you differently.

I don't know what ungodly reason there would be that you can only watch one of the two.

Fargo all the way though. Both seasons are brilliant.

fargo is amazing

i haven't seen deadwood but i want to

Just shit taste then? I don't know how you can criticize that image for its framing or composition.

What did Ian McShane do to your mother?

Fargo has GREAT cinematography.