I liked it

I liked it.

Ruffalo has become so cringe worthy I cant watch anything he is in anymore. Shame too, he is a very good actor.

It was ok desu senpai

Can anyone sum up why this got best picture?
Affirmative action and liberal-darling actors?

this, tbqh

I was getting this and The Big Short confused for a while. Bunch of generic white people doing stuff in offices. Doesn't look very entertaining.

it was anti-christian

somebody saw this?

The Big Short is a lot better than this

I thought it was incredibly underwhelming desu.

Because it was about the last big ride of journalism before it became nothing but "x posted y on twitter," and "your political views are right! anyone who says otherwise is retarded!!"

The big short squandered more opportunities to display the utter insanity of the US housing market, just before the crash, than it presented.

In 2007 I was living in what had basically become a ghetto. Nothing but renters everywhere. But because the value of the houses was so absurdly, ridiculously inflated, they were building an 18 hole golf course and country club just down the road. It's completely abandoned now.

On the radio I heard, in 2007, the national average income was in excess of 100k a year, a number derived from backwards extrapolation of the value of mortgages. Even the clearchannel DJ knew it was a joke. Never heard or read anything on that subject again, till the crash, when people were talking about how there was no warning.

also it was very boring and non-cinematic. Would've been better as a documentary

Because it was a realistic portrayal of how society found out that there was a major institution that protected pedophiles that didn't make anything up or embellish the facts.

inb4 pedophilia is natural

> non-cinematic
another reason it won best picture. It didn't sensationalize shit. It even had father paquin talking about how what he did was fine.

>implying pedophilia isn't natural

Humans operate on a form of sexual imprinting. Pedophiles just imprint on kids.

Felt like a documentary with actors

The Revenant > Fury Road > The Martian > Room > Bridge of Spies > Brooklyn > Spotlight > The Big Short

Yep

>people were talking about how there was no warning.
This still pisses me off.
Fucking media

Teens never understand why best picture winners win best picture.

You'll either understand at some point or grow up to be just as retarded as your parents.

The Martian and Bridge of Spies were both pretty crap

Pleb-posting please contain your posting to >>/Reddit/

He was HORRIBLE in this. His whole performance is attention seeking tics disguised as good acting.
>weird constipated face
>hunched over
>spits his dialogue out like it slightly hurts him to do so
>always half-yelling
>has ugly bangs to check the "changes appearance" box

And half his scenes are alone with Stanley Tucci, who feels completely natural and makes his material so much more compelling. A classic case of the academy confusing best acting with most acting

That's not what non-cinematic means. This movie is almost entirely done in 2 shot dialogue scenes or walk-and-talks to nowhere. Every scene is between 2 and 5 minutes long and immediately jumps to the next bit of exposition or narrative. It's like a dramatized documentary.

Are you trying to say that the Best Picture winners are beyond reproach?

You say all of that as if it is a bad thing.

I live in florida in an unfinished housing complex. My house cost me 150k in 09, in 07 it was 600k. I am the only one who lives on my street and the complex managers don't have anyone working anymore despite the fact that there's a gatehouse with a mechanical gate. I ended up calling them and getting the keys myself. When I'm bored and want to throw a party I do it in one of my "neighbors" vacant houses that have since been condemned due to absolutely no maintenance.

The housing crisis was absolutely devastating and absurd in florida

Thats not waht I meant. It didnt have noteworthy cinematography
Revenant really should have won

No, only beyond the reproach of teens. As everyone goes through that phase. They either grow out of it or don't.

Yeah, because slumdog millionaire, crash and Chicago were soooo amazing

>it didn't have noteworthy cinematography

Yes it did. The shot of the AOL billboard between the newspaper office and highway perfectly encapsulates all the themes of the movie.

were you attempting humour or something?

No... there's nothing funny about Sup Forums being filled with teens.

>The Big Short: somehow makes the housing crisis interesting
>Spotlight: Somehow makes the Catholic church pedophilia scandal boring

This is insulting to be candid my familie.

I'm not a teen and thought Spotlight was the textbook definition of mediocrity. A compelling real-life event does not mean the film adaptation is, by necessity, compelling. So - getting away from the cancerous "this film tackled important #RealLifeEvents" mode of criticism and looking at it purely as a piece of film-making, Spotlight is a perfectly decent but wholly unintersting movie. The vast majority of the film is the paper thin characters standing about in a semi-circles and talking exposition at each other in monotone, all in static shots. There is absolutely nothing noteworthy about the acting, cinematography, writing, sound design, or direction. It all keeps falling back on "wow this story is about something that happened IRL it really makes you think", as if that excuses it for being a bland film.

Spotlight absolutely didn't deserve the best picture award. But then again, most best picture winners don't.

I wouldn't call one bit of obvious symbolism good cinematography

Regarding Ruffalo, yes. The overacting doesn't enhance his character at all (what character, by the way? He's just Angrier Reporter) or mix with the cool naturalism of the rest of the cast

Exactly this

I really don't get people who think it was anything more than an average movie

>obvious
>i completely missed it tho
>but since you pointed it out its obvious

The big short: Jazzes up a completely fabricated version of the housing crisis for the sake of making it even harder for anyone to figure out what really happened

Spotlight: presents the investigation into the corruption of the catholic church exactly as it happened without sensationalizing anything.

I didn't remember it, because it wasn't that noteworthy and really doesn't have much to do with the film. The whole struggling paper stuff falls aside very quickly

>Spotlight: presents the investigation into the corruption of the catholic church exactly as it happened without sensationalizing anything.

oh boy what an exhilarating premise for a movie

One of the big instances that made spotlight pretty perfect was the settlement lawyer (Billy Crudup). As hes first presented, he just seems like the standard condescending douche evil person. But near the end the reason he sees everything as so hilarious is because he'd already tried to expose all this shit and years later hes got the same newspaper grilling him like hes satan incarnate.

Not to mention the expose of catholic church corruption isn't the only aspect to the movie. Another of the movie's big themes is the death rattle of journalism.

But hey, narrative complexity and dedramatization is for fags right

Catholics are the fucking worst.

So you also missed how one of the central themes of spotlight wasn't just the death of a newspaper, but the death of journalism as a whole.

And you think you have some business claiming it shouldn't have won best picture.

You sir, are a blight.

This x1000. I have no idea how it beat the reverent. If it has the best director, best actor and best cinematography its probably also the best picture

muslims are much worse. But there wont be a Islamic version of spotlight because all of their rapes and molestations are covered up and ignored still

>the reverent

... lol, phoneposters

>The vast majority of the film is the paper thin characters standing about in a semi-circles and talking exposition at each other in monotone, all in static shots. There is absolutely nothing noteworthy about the acting, cinematography, writing, sound design, or direction. It all keeps falling back on "wow this story is about something that happened IRL it really makes you think", as if that excuses it for being a bland film.

Wow! Rachel Adams looks like shit! There is something strangely attractive about Michael Keaton though...

Sorry if that was lost in the last hour with scene after scene of "where's the file? I found the file. I have the file, let's get him to sign the file, then publish the file." It's a play by play of news reporting, it's only lamenting the death of journalism by association of being about print journalists in the dawn of the internet

If all the reasonable posts are in agreement here then how did this movie do so well? Politics?

>You sir, are a blight.
hes a batman beyond villain?

>You sir, are a blight.

you haven't been here long have you

It's perfectly well made, well acted, no major objective flaws; it's also completely without personality, passion, vision, experimentation good or bad. The large voting body of the academy likes all that

So are all these other fucking retards sheep?

Rachel McAdams in this movie made me want to reawaken her long-dormant sexuality while her grandma was sleeping in the other room.

>Politics?
exactly. Hollywood has a giant boner for journalists

revenant was shit. should have gone to Room or The Big Short.

>Room
>most of the movie takes place in one fucking room

>big short
>inaccurate, over the top misunderstanding of the 2008 financial crisis

Revenant was one of the best looking movies this century, for that alone it should have won best picture

>most of the movie takes place in one fucking Room

The Big Short was a great 2h Bernie ad.

Because otherwise no one on planet earth would have seen spotlight.
Oscars are all about marketing, quality means shit. They use them to promote "artsy" movies. Last year was ridiculous; save for mad max, the revenant and the martian I didn't know all the nominated movies before the nominations were announced.
Inb4 "your fault if you only see pleb shit": the average quality of the nominees this year was mediocre.

Why was this a movie: the movie

I would have rather watched an accurate documentary about it

right here

leo, stop. you got your pity award, just let it go.

>death rattle of journalism.

>Journalism dying
>New media sites are mushrooming
>Easier to start a news site
>Easier to earn revenues
>Less censorship by editors
>Anyone can now expose things much easier

When will this "dying journalism" meme end?

>would have rather watched an accurate documentary

>documentaries
>in a post-Michael Moore era

>mfw

just because michael moore is a piece of shit doesnt mean people cant make good documentaries anymore

you're trying really hard here and it's kind of embarrassing

>there wont be a Islamic version of spotlight because all of their rapes and molestations are covered up and ignored still

As if the actions of a few reflect a failure of the whole religion...

>Not even differentiating between sunni, shia, ammadiya, etc

>Not even looking at wahabis and other branches

really?

Because all of those sites have no choice but to go maximum clickbait or be ignored completely. No one investigates anymore, no one factchecks, no one verifies a story. Gotta get that shit out as quick and dirty as possible for them clicks.

>defending Islam

>people cant make good documentaries anymore

>Numerous documentaries have been made about the abuse scandal.
>"Why watch a movie when you can watch a documentary?"

Forgetting about Patch Adams, Saving Private Ryan, Iron Lady (Margaret Thatcher), Argo, etc.

>Just because it can be made into a documentary doesn't exclude it from being made into a movie

Mea Maxima Culpa was a great HBO doc on priests who abused kids at a christian school for the deaf

>web
>revenue

WTF I love islam now.

>Christianity
>Catholics, Orthodox, Calvinists, Trinitarians, Lutherans, Anglicans, Episcopalians, etc

People know the distinctions

>Islam
>Sunni, Shia, Ammadiya, Twelvers, etc

Same thing

it was pretty good, but it certainly didn't deserve moty (stole that title from the big short imo)

also ruffalo can't act worth shit, he's honestly atrocious and he can't even talk properly

See >Numerous documentaries have been made about the abuse scandal.
>"Why watch a movie when you can watch a documentary?"

Forgetting about Patch Adams, Saving Private Ryan, Iron Lady (Margaret Thatcher), Argo, etc.

>Just because it can be made into a documentary doesn't exclude it from being made into a movie

who gives a shit? Every muslim country is either a third world shithole or some kind of dictatorship

you think if the movie was about media moguls fucking boys, this would ever see the light of production?

>>web
>>revenue

>Cars were invented
>Made money
>Decline of horse-drawn carriages
>No one went back

Progress is profitable

>News sites were invented
>Made and makes money
>Decline of old media
>No one will go back

And somehow it's not profitable?

nope. Instead it was lets shit on catholic priests again even though everyones known about this for over a decade alreay

>Every muslim country is either a third world shithole or some kind of dictatorship

Singapore
Malaysia
Indonesia

>Few people consider these 3rd world

Also
>Political will is not dictatorship

all of those countries have horrible human rights records. Go to bed, muhammad

>media moguls fucking boys

The Jimmy Savile affair was a huge blow for the media

>People think other institutions get a pass
>Even Islam was roasted over the Rotherham and Cologne incidents
>People still think the Catholic church is being targeted

Really?

>>Just because it can be made into a documentary doesn't exclude it from being made into a movie

of course it doesn't, but the point is the movie they chose to make was fucking boring

also what the fuck is your greentexting

>the movie they chose to make was fucking boring

>Church members found to be abusing children
>Bureaucracy got in the way
>Cover-up accusations
>World-wide scope
>Years worth of confessions from victims of long ago

That's supposed to be boring?

Switch mad max and revenant and I agree

I didnt

that means hes shit

kys

Bridge of Spies>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shit>the rest>The Martian

I like how Sup Forums supports systematic child rape because catholics are also against jews.

>any of that
>a bad thing

no wonder islam is on the rise.

ISIS has the mentality of the columbine shooters, so if you want to identity with closeted sociopath murderers, be my guest

>Sup Forums supports systematic child rape

Don't forget how Sup Forums blew up when Rotherham came to light

There was a large outcry on Sup Forums and in the media when the details came out

... there won't be a big expose of islamic pedophilia because the quran specifically and clearly advocates such practices.

Just like how there won't be a huge expose on islamic lies because, again, the quran specifically describes and advocates it (taqiyya)

A movie about these things would basically just be someone reading the quran for 90 minutes with a bunch of muslims going, "you didn't know this??"

I prefer my sociopaths closeted to open and accepted members of society.

Pakistan and the gay killings

Bangladesh and the atheist blogger killings

Afghanistan and the boy toys

>Islam is being grilled in the media
>A movie will be out soon... just wait

>would rather have gay people be angry murderers than fags who act like women
whatever