How do you properly criticize a Jazz album?

How do you properly criticize a Jazz album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V-lJqDAG_b4&t=113)
youtube.com/watch?v=LwNt7sHZaXY
pastebin.com/RXP80z0f
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

something something authenticity

the shit ones all sound the same

it's not that difficult

it's like any other music, you listen to enough of it, you realize what is generic and what isn't

if you've never played jazz music I wouldn't trust your opinion

Fantano has no business calling himself a music critic. All he does is open a bunch of tabs with Sup Forums, hip hop heads, etc. and copy paste the opinions on there into his videos.

>if you've never played jazz music I wouldn't trust your opinion
You don't need to play jazz to understand its characteristics

it depends what you're criticizing really

if you're applying numerical value to a jazz album without knowing any of the theory or technique yeah I'd agree

but if you're just writing about arrangements and the like it can't be that harmful

Who did this?

But for real now, i've been listening to Kind of Blue and now im listening to Idle moments - Grant Green, i've been enjoying it so far but i dont know jack shit about music theory and this is my first time going into jazz should i continue? or do i really need to understand music theory/know how to play an intrument to fully apreciate this genre?

If you're enjoying it, why do you even ask such questions?
I feel like some of you guys are so manipulative, you could stop listening to your favorite album right away if the general consensus about it was negative on this board

>or do i really need to understand music theory/know how to play an intrument to fully apreciate this genre?
nah, not really. that's kinda like saying you need classical training to appreciate classical music

you just appreciate what you find when you listen, the odd time signatures, the emotional rawness, or mellow coolness of the playing, whatever they throw into the arrangement

just enjoy what you enjoy? I know next to nothing about the theory aspect of it, and I still like the melodies and improvisations in jazz music

This

Just listen to the playing and try to get into the rhythm of it all, and decide for yourself if the performers are playing something truly unique and emotive or if it sounds rather uninspired.

IMO musicians tend to appreciate jazz more than non-musicians. Not necessarily because they have more knowledge about music theory and stuff, but simply because they know what it's like to improvise and play around with other members in a band. It's a bit much to ask you to learn an instrument, but what you can do is simply pay close attention and follow along with the instruments. Think about the musician's styles and how the other players back them up or contrast with them. Think about the overall composition and how a soloist plays around and within it. Just listen and try to be sensitive.

The thing that was going through my head was that you really need to play jazz to understand jazz (same thing goes with classical), to be honest that was the reason i never even brothered with those genres in the first place, after seeing so many memes saying the same.

just try a jazz chart or something

it just gets you familiar with the trappings of certain jazz subgenres which is a good way to identify what you're listening to

I am already doing it i've been following pic related guess will spend the next days listening to this.

yeah, that's a decent place to start

between you and me though I never really bothered with the big band/swing stuff

By the way if you've enjoyed Idle Moments, be sure to listen to Kenny Burrell

Thanks alot

Jazz musician here

I just go by: if it keeps my interest, I keep listening. If it doesn't, I stop.

Same with any genre, really.

you need to listen to a bunch of jazz. if you play jazz, it's a lot easier to understand, but if you just listen to a shit ton of records you'll be able to tell the good from the band. it'll just take more time.

Jazz is about improvisation. If there is weak improvisation, it is weak/bad Jazz.

What makes an improvisation good is how consistent the improviser is at continuing a form, created out of nothing. They need to be able to play a melody, not just scales.

This is what Kamasi fails at.

It's not necessary to play an instrument or understand theory to enjoy jazz, or any technical music
But it does open up a whole new avenue of appreciation

I wouldn't say it's soley about improv
Sure that's a huge part of a lot of it, but comp and arrangement are even more important as it's the backbone of the song
I think kamasi does a pretty good job of song making even if his improv isn't the most out there
I saw him live at my city's jazz fest and it was great

What makes Jazz an individual form is its prominent use of improvisation. Without that it's just syncopated, stylistic classical music.
Kamasi does write OK melodies for his compositions but they are still derivative of the music of the 60's, 70's, etc. that everyone mentions with this album.

By how popular it is with normies. Normies love shit like Brubeck and Chet Baker. So they suck. Normies can't into Sonny Sharrock so he's good.

I don't think I understand your analogy that well
I can't really think of any classical pieces that would sound like jazz without improv if they were more syncopated
Also when I said comp and arrangement, I meant the entire song and it's structure, not literally just what kamasi plays

>manipulative

>I can't really think of any classical pieces that would sound like jazz without improv if they were more syncopated
I mean plenty of works by Milhaud, Poulenc, Bernstein have strong Jazz flavor. But there's no improvisation in them which clearly marks them as classical music.

Meme chart.

plus he is a youtube anti-feminist fedora loser
(proof: youtube.com/watch?v=V-lJqDAG_b4&t=113)
what a fucking cunt I hope he kills himself

Easy. Just think about what could make the album better.

Idk man, I just think it's really reductionist to say that improv is the only thing that makes jazz jazz

There's no specifics to any music, it's all subjective. But the best distinction for Jazz is improvisation.

you just say whether its fuckin gay or not

What's the difference between jam bands and jazz in your opinion

Listen to how complicated it is, if it's more complicated just ad more points. Even though this is just solo sax it's complex so it's a 10.

youtube.com/watch?v=LwNt7sHZaXY

You don't criticize jazz. That's for the elitist fags in the /jazz/ threads who apparently don't even like jazz. Just enjoy the music.

Besides Davis who are some of the best mellow Smokey bar/ bluesy jazz artists?

Read reviews! But if you're new to jazz then you're probably sticking pretty close to the essentials- so it might be difficult to find negative reviews of these albums since most of them are generally agreed to be very good. Nevertheless, understanding why something is good will get you most of the way toward understanding how it can be bad. Plus you can always find some contrarian reviews on RYM, especially of the really popular jazz albums.

Some people will no doubt tell you that it's a bad idea to read reviews and that you should form your own opinion, but these people miss the point entirely. If it's a good review it should put forth some kind of a solid idea about the music. So when you read it, you have to decide whether you agree or disagree. If you disagree, take a minute and try to get to the bottom of WHY you disagree. That's the important part.

Here are some good sources for reviews: pastebin.com/RXP80z0f

The FEEL, bro, The fuck I look like, some RYMer or aspiring critic? lmfao

is there synergy or are all of the musicians playing solo's at the same time.
is it talently put together?
also jazz is a 4/4 beat anything less is not jazz.

>anti-feminist
>"...I don't think in general the movement is entirely bad or entirely good."

you tried, laddie

the fact that he appears in a video with these people and thinks it's okay to associate himself with them and the wider youtube anti-feminist fedorasphere proves it
also see his hilariously bad response to the question at 8:16

>IMO musicians tend to appreciate jazz more than non-musicians. Not necessarily because they have more knowledge about music theory and stuff

No, musicians tend to appreciate jazz more because they tend to listen more deeply to music than your random rock and roll loving pleb. They hear the soulful phrasing, vivid imagination and skillful playing.

This user knows whats up.

honestly, the best way to get into jazz is to listen to old episodes of Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz. It was an amazing radio show and I credit it with getting me into jazz. And also listen to some good albums on top of that.