Explain why I should believe in god without memeing

explain why I should believe in god without memeing

Because as of yet there has been no compelling scientific evidence to show Earth as a mundane coincidence. No other sentient life, no comparable conscious animals, etc.

Lobsters

i can potentially make you a better person

this

If matter can neither be made or destroyed, where did matter come from?

there is no god. life is a regenerating force that is perpetually recreating itself. there's no need for a god hand to keep things under control.

the realistic answer to this is that on every planet that ends up birthing industrial civilizations, they kill the planet they're on before achieving space travel

Even on our own planet, people only went to new continents to take its resources

If anyone comes to earth, it'll be most likely to take our resources too, so hopefully we'll never see anyone else

some force caused the big bang and every big bang before the one that caused us, so why not leave open the room that something divine did it?

Also, Coltrane's Meditations are proof enough for me that a god is out there

>Also, Coltrane's Meditations are proof enough for me that a god is out there
reading the notes to Love Supreme did it for me

E = MC^2 bruh

the answer is who knows, throwing in God every time you don't have an answer for something is bad reasoning, might be true but it's bad reasoning to assume that it must be true

agnostic deism is pretty tight bud

there may be a god, there may not, but if there is a god then all it did was create the world and nothing more

getchu some of this pragmatic sheit

Unless God is disproven through finding other sentient life I see no reason to doubt his existence.

>there is no god
*Blocks your path*

nice

Because all spatial and temporal differentiation is ultimately born out of human perception (the only reason your chair and your desk are "different", in a different place at a different time is because of how you perceive them). Here's the fucked up part, all of empirical (read:scientific) knowledge is necessarily mediated by human perception. This means that we've never seen reality as it really is, only as it is presented to us via our senses. Since differentiation is ultimately a function of human perception this means that the fundamental ground of reality is One.

A One that is necessarily outside of space and time, a One which would be the ontological floor of all reality (the thing which causes things to "be") and a One which would be present at every where and when that ever was. This is what the monotheistic faiths have come to call God.

Granted, believing in God does not necessarily mean the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) but they are the only pure monotheisms left to us. Polytheism inevitably engenders the "gods" with human characteristics (see: Ares is warlike, Odin is wise, Set is violent etc.) that take away from the fact that God is ultimately unknowable.

Since Monotheism is the only way and the three largest Monotheisms are all revelatory (they believe God has contacted us via revelation) you'll need to understand where these religions are coming from. In very simplistic terms: The Jews believe God is morally neutral yet omnipotent, that the Jews are the chosen people of God and that following the law of the Torah is what is best in life. Christians believe God did the impossible and became a man in order to deliver his universal message of love and salvation. Islam believes that God is ultimately One so Jesus can't be the son of God, but he is a great prophet. They differ fundamentally from Jews and Christians in that they recognize the prophet Muhammed as a messenger of God. (con't.)

(cont.)
In my humble opinion Christianity is the only religion that makes sense.

Judaism is too insular and supremacist, they believe that Jews are the chosen people and everyone else is destined to serve the needs of the Jewish people (as they are the chosen of God). Islam is too political, they have inextricably linked the law of the state with the law of the Quran to such a degree that political authority and religious authority are synonymous. This is a problem that has made conversion less of a choice and more of a blind dogmatic necessity. Islam is a great religion, the golden age at the turn of the last millenium should be enough to tell you that, but in contemporary terms it is outdated. It is suited to desert tribes, not to an international world.

Christianity is the real deal. God becoming man, suffering as man does, even questioning his faith as man does (see the famous "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" on the cross) is the most profound expression of containing the divine within our spatio-temporal world of human perception. Christianity is war, war against the self for the benefit of all mankind. Christianity is submission to a will that both loves and is closer to you than you can possibly comprehend. Christianity is knowing that God understands everything you've ever gone though, because he was one of us once.

But enough of that, don't believe in Christ because of what Christ can do for you. Ultimately you should believe in God because God is real. You should believe in Christ because Christ is truth.

is there a raid or something? why is the catalog filled with more trash than usual? i thought britfags went to sleep already. is it (((canadians)))?

Trying to apply any sort of logic to the existence of God is entirely pointless.

This

tfw lobster with serotonin deficiency

I think there is a rather huge gulf between accepting that the ontological floor of reality is essentially 'god' and athropomorphizing this god and assuming any worldly doctrine at all has the correct interpretation of how this god interacts with us.

Your justification for why Christianity is an accurate metaphysical description of the world is nothing more than that you like it the best.

Good thread

mu

How is jumping from the One that is the ontological floor of reality to the monotheistic faith that best accounts for revelation a huge gulf?

You are assuming that existence of god means that one of the existing monotheistic religions has a 100% necessarily true description of god.

That is one hell of an assumption. God could exist and they could all still be wrong.

I'll give you that, if you don't believe in revelation then the Abrahamic faiths aren't for you and you're most likely looking for something like Pantheism.

There's not a reason, I find it a pure faith thing. Personally, it makes sense to me: I've experienced life, and I have lots of things to live, but I can't think that everything we see and feel was just coincidence. I mean, everything is kind of perfectly structured.

I can't imagine how all this was coincidence.

It might give you some existential peace.