Why does it become more and more complicated to get famous (at least a little) as a (metal) band even though you can...

Why does it become more and more complicated to get famous (at least a little) as a (metal) band even though you can clearly see that you & your bandbros are talented ?

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/5jjlbfxr?token=bcd953a864ceb9791bf193b082281a07
youtube.com/watch?v=gPQRTjxuzXs
youtube.com/watch?v=HU9GAxrQHmg&t=4s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
clyp.it/xvcaf2ne?token=45c5ef0454a57e7a317f69abce58a933
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

people grow up metal is for childrens

Very easy solution, friend. You and your band buddies need to become trans, if you don't get signed in a month or less then kys

why is that

technical musical ability will never beat out songwriting. the best you can hope for is to sound different than everyone else while also making something people can tap their foot to.

even for metal, look at the bands with the most popularity. Lamb of God writes actual pop songs to a backdrop of groove metal. Pantera did similar shit. They just sound different.

tldr your band is probably shit but you think it's good because you take music lessons

Because there's so many bands out there all doing more or less the same thing that it's impossible to get noticed. Talented musicians are a dime a dozen, some of the greatest guitarists I've ever seen, I saw playing to empty rooms. It's more about social media now than music anyway

Nah don't think so, we're good (at least when we compare ourselves to the "popular" bands, even though we are making songs a bit too versatile I'll concede).

So would you do ? Just pay a billion chinese to give you likes on fb and thumbs on youtube ?

so get better marketing. if kids really did think you were good they'd be buying your tee shirts. if promoters really did think you were good you'd be getting shows consistently.

you're forgetting there's a lot of luck involved too. i'm guessing you play mostly in shitty suburban basements...if there is no marquee at any show you're playing no one is ever going to notice you

literally the only way to be "famous" in 21st century is via marketing and big social media presence. Even then, if you're not constantly relevant, people will forget about you easily

Well fuck us then.
Gojira and some did it but I can't fucking see through this mystery (they didn't use THAT much of social media support I think)

Yeah cause ed sheeran is for grown up men and women.
(Yeah he's not the worst but I didn't pick a ridiculous counter-example like justin fagger or else on purpose)

can confirm, was a kid that bought a Gojira t shirt at the height of their popularity

Opeth is one of my favorite bands and they're super popular for a "death metal" band but that's because they started playing death metal in Sweden in the 90s. Just a matter of circumstances and luck. Nowadays, no one really cares about metal except memes like Deafheaven. What does your band sound like? If you want to be popular you need to know your audience and how to sell it

voocaroo my friend or link to the band

getting famous is more a matter of luck than talent, you also need good social skills

Mmmmmh not sure If we're getting fucking roasted given that I bragged earlier

you're right fuck justin bieber thumbs up if you still listen to REAL music

Figuring out a way to share it anonymously

here is an extract with groove n shit

clyp.it/5jjlbfxr?token=bcd953a864ceb9791bf193b082281a07

Against me! isn't super popular. Your logic is flawed.

pretty good, liked the groove.
not too much into that vocal style, i much prefer ed the bm'd style vocals around the middle.

The end kinda lost me, id have to see how the song progresses. But without that i really though the latter riff kinda felt cheesy.

But a snipet of one song can't be enough to know judge a band

Well in comparison with my band with few hundred likes on fb, Against me! looks damn popular, it's a matter of point of views

yeah I think I'll upload the whole song later

M8 even if you have a million likes on Facebook, you can still be an irrelevant washed up act. All that shows is that you were popular from a period in between 2007-2013, when people actually liked stuff on Facebook that wasn't just meme pages and politically charged articles.

Because you are not talented. You are just another average metal band with "above average" technical skills.

Do me a favor and tell me about the most talented band according to you

It's shit, and you guys don't even have talent. Stop playing metal and maybe you could have a chance.

Absolutely most talented? That's a difficult question, but I will go for Cardiacs.

You'll never get famous these days unless you help invent a style of music, and then it'll probably only be after you die.

Well I give attention to every critics and especially the negative ones so plz explain

I liked around 0:15 when you had the high pitched scream and overdubbed it so it played twice that was kinda cool. Also I like the groove, it seems like if you guys just keep practicing together you'd be really tight (you already are). who are your main influences?

vocals sound like Heavy from tf2
the snare sounds like closing a book fast
once the actual verse starts you cant hear the vocals
the riffs are wack
1/10

Because you do nothing interesting. It's not "what am I doing bad", but "what am I not doing good".

this was boring and mediocre

you have to be willing to get fucked up your ass
>no talent required

In all honesty, OP, the clip *sounded* like "here are some guys who make metal as a hobby" rather than "this is an actual viable metal band"

who hurt you :'(

I'm just being honest.

Please don't judge on the production but rather on the music

Well please bring us your elements of response

Go on, elaborate

That is the case, we don't do it full time because some of us are still studying, some of us are working (we are all 23-25 year old)

(plus, we'd go broke in 2 weeks because show money is reaaaally low)

>Go on, elaborate
There is nothing to elaborate on. It's boring and mediocre. You should prove why it's not boring nor mediocre.

Anyway, I was wondering why we couldn't become popular with stuff like this when some shitty bands are.
If the answer is "not good enough music" then so be it, but now I'll have to find how to improve. We are all more or less fine with our instruments (everybody played his own instrument for at least 10 years) so I would need advice in song writing.

you had like one boring riff that might have been cooler if it were faster and maybe you moved it up a 3rd or an octave once in a while, the vocals sounded like yeti mating calls, or some henchman in the road warrior

The only way to get sucess out of music is to have popularity on social media, it is countless the amount of shiutheads who started has being famous on social media and now try to make music and end up getting sucess even though it's shit, KSI is a prime example.
In other words all you need to do is get noticed has hard as you can, that is all you need to get big in music.

Because your band is shit.
Stop playing metal, metal is dead unless you are actually talented which you and your friends are clearly not.

You have to be either technical as fuck, or be in unison with some new fad like oogabooga djent, math metal or whateverthefuck. Simple good bands with memorable songs are not rated anymore...

This is wrong.
Your best bet is to get signed at a well respected label.
Social media is very relevant, but it can help.

I'm not asking you to prove anything.
I can tell why I find trivium boring or why I find half the shit going on the radio mediocre, etc, by exposing facts that matter to me

whoops slightly misred your response

>anymore
More like never ever

Things are boring because they are not interesting. You can expose through facts that something is interesting, but you can't say the same about something being boring.
Null hypothesis is that stuff is boring unless there is something that would prove the opposite.

Well I didn't know Cardiacs and it is clearly not something that I could compose or enjoy playing.
Can you please tell which metal band you find the most talented ?

Infidel? Castro!

youtube.com/watch?v=gPQRTjxuzXs

wat

Pleb

>he thinks radio pop is better than metal

oh shit i didn't even see this post until after i posted

Look at desiigner, all he did was put his track in kanye's album and he got famous. all he needed to do was to show everyone the track and people got interest even if its shit. All it matters today is that the music goes to everyone, doesnt matter the quality

Yeah, never mind that the guy had already released two full albums before he appeared on that Kanye track.
Just deal with it, you and your band suck. Don't blame it on anyone else.

Was expecting some technical / melodic stuff beyond creation-like and got... wat (no offense)

>technical / melodic stuff beyond creation-like
No wonder you guys suck...

(op here) I did not write the post you responded to. Anyway, like I said, I don't mind being criticized when it brings something / enlighten people around. I'm not putting the blame on anyone but us, just trying to figure out a way of improvement

Well, kinda reassures me that you think we suck if you think those guys are bad / untalented. No offense again but in matter of metal your tastes seems... a bit unconventional

>just trying to figure out a way of improvement
Stop playing metal.
Listen to good music.

>in matter of metal your tastes seems... a bit unconventional
And then you wonder why you don't stand out? lol

you're an ass and you don't even know what you're talking about.

interest is subjective, and if you think this shit is the best metal band then you obviously don't even like metal.

it sounds like you guys are capable enough players. there are some critiques i can make though. for one, the vocals have got to change. either go for full shrieks/growls, or go clean. the half and half thing that you're doing sounds like a dorky pirate singing a sea shanty, or a really bad tom waits impression. either way it sounds super corny.

the second thing i would say is find a niche. right now this doesn't sound like any particular subgenre of extreme metal, it kind of just sounds like it's just taking cliches from all of them in the way that metal-core does. if you want to be a successful metal band DON'T play metal-core or anything that resembles it.

either choose a subgenre where there will already be an established group of fans looking for new material, or do something so new and avant garde that it's something else entirely

last thing i'll say is that metal is an EXTREMELY image-basted genre of music. one of the best things you can do to get noticed is have a good-looking album cover with a good-looking logo

>Stop playing metal.
>Listen to good music.
fuck off pleb. youtube.com/watch?v=HU9GAxrQHmg&t=4s

>clyp.it/5jjlbfxr?token=bcd953a864ceb9791bf193b082281a07

You are a very long way from being remotely marketable. Keep practicing and challenging yourself creatively, and be a lot more selective of the other musicians you play with. Especially your vocalist.

>you're an ass
Yes.
>you don't even know what you're talking about.
Wrong.
>interest is subjective
Arguably.
>if you think this shit (You) is the best metal band then you obviously don't even like metal.
Wrong.

>it sounds like you guys are capable enough players
They are not. They completely lack talent.

>metal is an EXTREMELY image-basted genre of music
Only some styles. A lot of metal artists don't care in the slightest about image.

I'm not the pleb who plays generic metal.

Thank you for your critiques.

>either go for full shrieks/growls, or go clean.
I guess it's doable, our singer would want to go clean. I guess I could still growl behind that

>find a niche
Well, the difficulty in our band is that we have like 1 subgenre influence by member so we have a hard time mixing all that (hence the sound of we are just taking cliches). I guess we could say that we try to stay in a particular groove metal (trepalium is an influence of ours, check them out they are awesome) but maybe not enough (and maybe it's not the right niche)

>we try to stay in a particular groove metal
>and maybe it's not the right niche
well it certainly isn't the most popular style of metal so don't expect there to be too many fans there. but if that's the style you guys want to play you should definitely stick with it fuck changing your style just to be trendy

Please keep in mind that this is not a pro recording.

>be a lot more selective of the other musicians you play with. Especially your vocalist

Well they're all my friends so I we will try to figure out something (he's an exceptionnal clean singer but he has a hard time putting clean singing on our riffs)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Nigga if you ever want to improve at least learn to take criticism and don't act like a salty bitch.

How am I salty ~~

This is right up my alley, thanks man

You are welcome

You know that most of metal in general is not obscure-sludge-KVLT-meta-weird stuff like you linked, right ?

Most metal sucks, so your point is?

Dude how can you say "blabla I know a lot about metal" if you like no more than 2% ?
I like a few rap music, listened a lot that I despised, doesn't make me a rap expert.
Second, how can you be so categorical with thoses guys with only 2 riffs of their songs ?

knowing =/= liking
Also, I would bet that 99% of music in general sucks, so...
>how can you be so categorical with thoses guys with only 2 riffs of their songs?
It doesn't take a genius to know that they are just your average metal band playing generic metal music with generic cliches and stereotypes judging from that 30 second sample alone.

you're such a pretentious retarded cunt it's unbelievable, no wonder you're a tripfag as well. OP just lacks creativity and inspiration and here you are telling him to play some vomit inducing garbage that you think is "good" because you're a retarded elitist. Fuck off

>Please keep in mind that this is not a pro recording.

Obviously, you definitely have a lot of growing to do as musician though dude. If you wanna jam with your friends and play small local bars and house shows this is sufficient, sure. Actually making money as a musician is a whole other ball game. I think you're seriously underestimating how much work goes into achieving this as a metal/rock band in the 21st century, and the sample you provided is very immature. Just keep at it. Jam with other musicians who are better than you, play in other bands, play out often, buy a van, play other cities. Just keep playing until you don't suck.

>OP just lacks creativity and inspiration
My point exactly.
>you are telling him to play some vomit inducing garbage
Wrong. I was only asked to post some good metal, not metal he should play.
>that you think is "good"
It is good.
>because you're a retarded elitist
You are telling me I'm an elitist like it's a bad thing lol

Is this an elaborate troll or is your brain damaged? He asked how he can sell music and be popular and you gave him THAT? That sounds like something that sells to you?

> I think you're seriously underestimating how much work goes into achieving this as a metal/rock band in the 21st century

I don't think I'm underestimating it, I'm just trying to figure out where I should put my efforts (and my band members') in the first place.

obviously not metal, children aren't a good fanbase

In his defense he gave me that weird stuff after I asked him, in his opinion, which metal band was the most talented.
He gave his label-related advice earlier.

(Nonetheless I too wonder about his brain, given the stuff he likes)

>technical musical ability will never beat out songwriting
It does, metal is just not good enough a genre to have standards

It's totally random. Truly though, being a talented musician is nothing special. Most musicians don't try to play the most complicated things they're capable of, because it doesn't sound good.

You lack reading comprehension.
Please read the post I was replying to.

i did criticize the music, the vocals are shit and so are the riffs

It's not about being a virtuoso on instruments, it's about songwrite a masterpiece (even if it's simple)

You have to be cute.

Nobody listens anymore and/or gives a shit.

feelsrealnotgoodman.jpg

Right now just keep writing songs that challenge your ability and gain experience playing shows as much as you can. If you do develop a small local following, be conscious of how often you play in your hometown and recognize that you're better off playing less frequently otherwise people will lose interest in you fast. Also make friends with other bands, go out to their shows and support them, book shows together, this all goes a very long way in the attractiveness of your brand. Build a scene and keep it going. It's a HUGE boost if you start running a DIY space where you can throw your own shows and book touring bands to network with, in fact these days this is pretty much essential to growing your brand.

You should just listen to different music and take inspiration from various genres. We can't tell you what to like, you'll have to figure it out yourself

filtered

lmao, you filter me yet I have him the same advice that you did?
you are a special kind of retard

Okay here is a longer extract

clyp.it/xvcaf2ne?token=45c5ef0454a57e7a317f69abce58a933

Strangely I find his advice a bit different than yours

sounds like a generic metal song, nothing special. not bad, but like nothing that makes me really want to listen to more. Calling it mediocre wouldn't be accurate, it's just sort of boring at best, and cliche at worst.

Just combine black metal with groove metal, get a trendy name, get rid of those weird sounding pirate vocals and go full harsh vocals or full clean vocals. Learn to write songs and use your "technical ability" as a plus, not the main part. Play as many shows as you can in your city. Be sort of active on your social media. Find out who the biggest local metal band is and try to book shows with them.

>Learn to write songs

how ._.

Use a piano or keyboard to write melodies. Understand how to write more accessible tunes. Technicality is great but without memorable moments, it's not going to be a song people will be chanting or have stuck in their head. Solos should never be on every song. Listen to My Last Attack by Holy Grail for reference and nothing more.

>solos should never be on every song
Tell that to J Mascis. Before you get angry, I know he's a fantastic songwriter.