Why hipsters are so fond of rap music?

Why hipsters are so fond of rap music?

white guilt

Hahahaha! Because rap is not music! And hipsters like shit music ironically! Silly you! Hahahaha!

Are people legitimately still using the word hipster?

>not music
>shit music
what did he mean by this?

is there a substitute for it?

To look cool/street cred and to one day impress a black man with his knowledge of rap.

Because it's hip?

You could try using a word that actually means something and isn't just a catchall for things you don't like or understand.

People say numale

>now it's overrated to say hipster
Spotted the one.

Just as bad, if not worse, honestly.

They think it gives them free black/street credibility without any of the repercussions associated with that life style e.g fighting people, getting fucked with, potentially getting shot

They also lack any kind of masculine influence in their life so they try and compensate by listening to aggressive music.

This

The word hipster has never really been effective at accurately describing someone. Again, it's just a catchall term people use to describe someone different than themselves.

“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.
It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.
Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).
You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.
The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.
Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.

Because Pitchfork tells them its good.

>it's just a catchall term people use to describe someone different than themselves
It's mostly used against contarian douchebags such as you. Hipster is a definite term.

I'm not contrarian though... I literally listen to dadrock and pop mostly.

found the hipster

Any of these, tbqh.

This actually happened to me last week:

>am black
>at barnes and nobles looking through their music section for stuff to pirate later
>one of the workers comes up to me, slightly overweight white dude wearing jordans
>"ay yo what's up senpai, you looking for some fire? you should get the new playboi carti that shit is LIT"
>wasn't really planning on getting anything, give him a short reply to let him know to leave me alone
>"bruh, whatchu think about my shoes? pretty tight HUH? yeah, i'm pretty into street wear fashion right now, you people have the tightest clothes"
>jesus fuck did he just say that
>"i know where you can get some supreme for pretty cheap, what's up are you ready?"

at that point I realized that he was going to try to befriend me so I cut the conversation short and left

i'm not usually that anti social but it's like i was talking to a walking meme

he introduced you to playboi curti and this is how you repay him?

found the motherfucking pleb bitch who probably lives in some small town somewhere
you should leave the house once in a while if you want to write a convincing story, nice 2005 lingo

you should have told him about Merzbow or Swans being the latest trend in black music

'contrarian douchebag' serves a similar purpose in this sentence
it basically means 'i don't understand this thing, therefore no one else can possibly understand and like it, everyone is just pretending because i am the smartest person on this planet, my parents are divorced'

that's actually how white people talk when they're trying to seem cultured

nah this is how a white boy pretending to be a nigger thinks wiggers talk
it's some meta level autism
like even disregarding that shit, that's not how humans speak, anywhere

take a stroll through through /r/hiphopheads, that's literally how they speak. you're probably one of them tbqh, which is why you're so offended

thisthisthis

are they?

not totally interchangeable. all hipsters are numales but not all numales are hipsters IMO.

and lmaooooooo at these faggots pretending they don't have a specific mental image for "hipster"

hipsters don't exist

when u think about it nothing really exists

This was written by a Pitchfork writer.
It is a direct part of Pitchfork's agenda to maintain their readership's illusion of being unique and culturally idiosyncratic individuals. It's how they make money, it's how they gain cultural capital.
Filing the entirety of that readership all under a label such as "hipster" goes directly against that agenda. Of course Pitchfork is going to claim hipsters don't exist.

>Contrarian douchebags
>Listen to the most popular mainstream genre of music in the US

Really gets my noggin joggin

the therm hipster is used as a synonymous of snob.

>source: my ass

Black people are being fetishized right now.
Plain and simple. Progressivism has been hip ever since Bill Clinton got into office. Part of that is having an undying love for President Obama and being a (literal) white knight for black people over Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Philando Castile, etc.
Compound that with the fact that basic-ass rap music is already in vogue with pop music, and you have a recipe for Carl bitching with his friend Cameron about how Fantano only gave MBDTF a 6.
Makes me sick.

Why all the labels and assumptions? Are we not able to understand anyone can find anything they want to be "hip"

Music popularity goes through cycles and the average trap group is currently the same as nsync in the 90s

There were just as many people digging "black" music back 30-70 years ago as there is today, without it there wouldn't be as many hits in rock and roll etc etc

We are a just on a constant loop of culture just with minor updates here and there.