So what exactly is so special about this album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Nd26yKXrAI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What should have been a staple of the black metal genre ended up being mostly circlejerked by clueless hipsters

Nothing it's garbage

Everything before it, was uninspired and just "edgy"... after this, Black Became an interesting genre.

Basement dweller music

that track with the beeeewwmm

poems about sunlight and winter

Burzum's technical masterpiece was Filosofem (1996), containing five pieces in the seven-eight minute range and one colossal suite.
Erblicket Die Toechter Des Firmaments/ Beholding The Daughters Of The Firmament has the steady, sinister pace of a voodoo dance. This time the burning distortion sets the stage for the counterpoint between the monk's choir in the background and Grishnackh's moribund lament.
In Dunkelheit/ Burzum guitar and keyboards intone a macabre litany over the massively distorted droning. The tense vocals that compete with them are reminiscent of Nine Inch Nails.
The search for an atmospheric sound (or at least an atmospheric structure) leads to the protracted unfinished suspense Gebrechlichkeit/ Decrepitude I. And the instrumental Gebrechlichkeit/ Decrepitude II is born at the intersection of casual electronic noises and a crescendo of guitar distortion.
Frenzy, on the other hand, can be a meaning (and a means) in itself. The galloping Jesu Dod/ Jesus' Tod does little to inject life into a virtually infinite loop of epileptic fits. Burzum's music is a frantically twitching carcass.
The 25-minute instrumental monolith Rundtgaing Av Den Transcendentale Egenbetens Stotte/ Rundgang Um Die Transzendentale Saule Der Singularitaet returns to the drum-less riff-less drone-less format of Tomhet, just a sparse electronic soundscape. Indeed a philosophical ending to a brainy album.

It's pretty good but I prefer Horna

youtube.com/watch?v=9Nd26yKXrAI

hvis lyset tar oss is objectively better

Filosofem is good and all, but Hvis Lyset really was Varg's peak as a songwriter.

>What should've been circlejerked exclusively by metalfags ended up being circlejerked by hipsters

I'm becoming more and more convinced that metal indeed has the worst fanbase ever

it's real black death metal inspired by actual brutal death murder
all others are just posers

It's the layers and depth to it. Listening with headphones on you hear a new sound in the different layers almost every time you listen to it.
This album sounds like it's made from electric. It's weird and satisfying.

I guess it took Black Metal from traditional Metal song structures, like Black Metal has always tried to do, but managed to reach the breakthrough velocity that would allow it to escape the Metal sound and structure.

It's boss.

It's just a good album, but pic related is undisputedly better.

>should have been a staple of the black metal genre
>Varg created it to be an "anti-trend" album

>Finn bm
>that isn't Drawing Down the Moon
It's trash

Very repetitive with minor variation, lacks the intricate riffs and visceral energy of what makes metal worth listening to relative to other music. It's like minimalist music for people that can't into actually interesting minimalism. Also inspired the most boring NSBM out there along with countless hipster BM projects that also think that doing non-metal in metal somehow a good idea.

Sounds like you're describing pretty much all black metal to me.

it's metal for ppl who usually don't listen to metal. it's like enter the wu-tang of metal

Not really. That just describes mostly atmoshit. It doesn't work at all for a band like say...Immortal or Havohej or Deathspell Omega.

Or anything that has it's roots in Bathory/Hellhammer/Celtic Frost etc.

I didn't like this one that much, those Silencer vocals fucking kill me. Fallen was okay though.

Silencer is shit anyway.

Hvis is better by far

came here to post this exact sentence

All the stories and miths around it, who actually helped to develop the genre.

can anyone explain hvis to me
while i think its got more interesting structures its produced like shit - compare the power of filosofems guitar texture to hvis - even when hvis tries to get powerful it sounds more like a whisper than a shout (is that the point ? )