Could a human brain survive without blood?

Could a human brain survive without blood?

Could the human brain potentially be powered by straight electricity?

Discuss.

No

Goodbye op

why not?

Mmmmm nah

Does electricity carry oxygen?

Blood IS electricity as far as the brain is concerned. Yeah it puts out electrical impulses but so does a generator and it's not gonna run without fuel so yeah.

No, but it can cleanse homosexuality.

RIP OP

No.

Hello there Mr. Vice President.

Does electricity carry glucose?
No.

Oxygen, Water, glucose, minerals, salts, vitamins are all essential for cell survival.... so no.

The answer to your questions is "no", short of some sort of complex mechanism hooked into all the cells that converts electricity into what the cells need.

No, definitely not by straight electricity. However, the reason blood is needed in the brain is mainly for the oxygen, which in turn is needed for ATP use. So if you could find an alternative way to supply that to the brain or have the brain store enough of it (the brain eats up energy, good luck doing that), sure.

But then there's also shit like transporting other minerals to the brain, so good luck trying to get around that.

So if the human brain cannot survive without blood, would it be possible to stimulate function using electricity?

To be clear, what I'm proposing a discussion of is whether or not you could stimulate neurons into what would be considered thought using nothing but electricity, even though the brain itself is dead I.E the cells have been deprived of oxygen for several tens of minutes.

Blood does not provide electrical impulses to the brain, it provides oxygen and nutrients.

To clarify;

The two questions I asked were separate questions, not related, which is why I spaced them apart.

No. Neural processes involve a lot of chemical signals as well as electrical impulses. You may do *something* with electricity, but proper emulation of thought or normal functions requires a lot more.

So what could potentially be done with electricity?

Oh, to the first one: a properly balanced, filtered, and oxygenated nutrient solution could do the trick. But blood is the easiest answer.

Look up the dudes that discovered action potentials by electrocuting a dead frogs leg for the answer you need.

An awful lot, but not normal functionality. It's like trying to use your computer by manually running a current through processor pins with a pair of jumper cables, but even harder to understand.

I'm aware, it was a poorly typed out comparison. Blood flows through the brain like electricity through a circuit.

because its still living tissue, even though its our processing unit... its still alive and therefor needs nutrients and oxygen...