What are Sup Forumss thoughts on living in small castles?

What are Sup Forumss thoughts on living in small castles?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5Elbvvr1M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_State_Penitentiary
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

stone makes good thermal retention. saves money on heating / cooling. Also looks cool.

I always wanted to try building one in da woods. I don't have an army of serfs though.

North America - talking about castles.
>inb4 disneyland

If I ever become god emperor of the mankind that will be my home

So comfy, it only need a lake with a tiny island inside of it

in the New World, we still long for the ancient beauty of the Old World.

>buy a rural piece of land for minimal cost
>slow build your own castle over 20 years
>arguably the purest and most masculine love a man can have
>complete it
>suburban sprawl begins running up against your land
>your castle is now worth millions of dollars because of the effort you put into it, and now you have to pay tens of thousands of dollars in taxes you can't afford
>local municipality declares your castle in violation of a dozen different firecodes
>it's discovered that a rare kind of weed happens to exist within a ten mile of your castle
>someone spreads a rumor that you're paranoid and shoot anyone that approaches your castle
>the FBI, CIA, ATF, EPA, IRS, and BLM work together and siege your castle
>snipers kill you the moment you step outside of your door
>local city government takes possession of your castle
>100 years later, it is a public museum and cultural artifact protected from destruction, commemorating you for your gracious donation to the government

>stone makes good thermal retention. saves money on heating / cooling.
> i have never slept in a castle
stone is cold and drafty as fuck, you dork

The American nightmare

Reply accepted.

Here's one of my fav castles the "Southern key to Res Publica"

You're definitely retarded. Thermal mass is how passive solar works. Stone is not drafty in the fucking least. It's a solid stone.

bumping with some real castles

castles are too massive to be the ideal mass for conducting heat for human comfort. the day doesn't have enough energy to warm up the inside.

you're like my retarded ex girlfriend who thought that by shutting the windows of the house, she could "shut out" the heat without using the AC.

why are people so fucking dumb

There's a castle attached to the cathedral in the center of my home-city, belongs to the University as student accommodation.
When the students go home for summer, they become tourist accommodation. Cheap tourist accommodation too, in the center of the city.
Castle is in the top right. Aren't any especially good front facing views because all but the crenelations and keep are masked by trees.

If anything too much mass means it would get too hot,not too cold. Unless you purposely designed them to be inefficient of course. If you used a reflective insulation on the outside of insulated windows you could easily 'seal' the heat out. Your gf was trying to dumb things down to your level of understanding. The energy from light is reflected. There's still conduction to contend with but it would definitely lower the inside temperatures noticeably.

People have always wanted that.
The domus w/ atrium is one of the earliest ideas.
A castle is the most patrician place where to live.

I'd be content with just a tower

a place like that will just be a target when the end times come

>Stone fortress
>Battlements
>Badass portcullis gate
>Ground floor windows???
WTF Amerifats?

What's wrong with ground floor windows? 2" polycarbonate is more than enough to stop any attempts to get through.

They have some castles.

You missed the part about your land not being diverse enough and your castle used for Section 8 housing

kek

>tfw live a few minutes drive from a Motte and Bailey
Pretty small and ruined but history is history.

There's a Norman castle in my town as well. Apparently it's one of the smallest Norman keeps in England

No love for palaces?

Are they too ostentatious for Sup Forums?

There's this guy 40 mins from my house who has a legitimate castle with a moat surrounding it. Even so, it's far from burglar-proof.

Do you have a picture?

Went to Hearst "Castle" a long time ago in Cali. Not much of a castle but at least it was neat.

How do I build a castle?

>How do I build a castle?

print it
youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5Elbvvr1M

There's a lake surrounding this one.

Is that the Bavarian one? I visited it in unteralterbach.

We have this tiny castle in Denmark called Spottrup Borg.

I visited it last summer. Its comfy as fuck and small enough for it to be reasonable for one family to live in it. Its nothing special but pretty nice and it has a double moat.

>Pic related

Here is the courtyard.

> I visited it in unteralterbach.

Top kek.

Do people live there?

Do they have electricity??

Yeah, i remember seeing a show where they visited a woman living there. The place is full of tourists most of the year though so she said it was kind of rough living there.

Just checked out the wikipedia article about this, respect the guy who wrote that. I love people who are really interested in a particular subject and writes enthutiastically about it

And one that shows the double moat kinda.

My dream, a comfy isolated incident Castle or manor.

Yeah its great! I am mapping out all danish slotte, herregÄrde, og borge because i cant seem to find a place where they are all listed. Same goes for memorials and such. We have too few history minded autists atm.

guys, guys, hear me out, lets build our castle INTO A FUCKING CAVE

bump for more comfy castles

Just give me a gothic stone cottage.

I wanna feel like I live in Act 1 of Diablo 2. I should expect to battle skeletons when I step outside.

Helm's Deep!

have a slice of American castles you commie

Not that comfy since its pretty huge and surrounded by a big star fort and other defences.

It is where Shakespeare's Hamlet takes place though and the picture is comfy.

That's badass

I've been there on a school trip to France.
Was nice, you walk along the streets in a big spiral to the church at the top.
There are all kinds of traditional shops and eateries along the way.

At the very top one of my class mates hats blew of in the wind, down onto the muddy banks way below.

Oh how we laughed.

Guys, I have another one, you know how rocks are really heavy, lets carry them all the way up this fucking mountain

I remember seeing some castle on a real estate page a couple of weeks ago, was up for sale because previous owner, who had ruled the castle for like 400 years, just didn't want it
>$30M USD
>motherfuckin walled castle
>has a town attached to it that has its own population
>provides its own food, water, income etc
>castle has its own servants, maids and shit
>literally live like a king
The fucking dream.

Fuccin right

nigga you should read about the guy who owned it
>was besieged for a year
>the fucker knew the caves that ran trough the mountains
>bought food on the other side
>when the war party was starting to starve he threw them fresh cherries and a roasted bull from the walls

Why don't we build castles anymore god damn.

Dident he die when he was taking a shit? I was there many years ago and remember a story of someone getting killed while taking a shit by a catapult or something.

Great place though.

he was killed while in his bedroom, ruining a reputation of a betrayed man is the cherry on the top

THATS A GERMAN CASTLE REEEEE

Depends on whether or not it has a moat

Marienburg was built by teutonic Knights. They still haunt your bydlo people that try to enter this Castle.

I swear to god I'm going to build and live in my very own castle one day.

because they were using shitloads of resources to build and were chilly as fuck

this place is pretty cool

its kind of a castle

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_State_Penitentiary

>tfw no serf army to build me a castle inna woods
Why live?

better to let the Poles take care of it.

modern Germany would turn it into an African culture museum or something

you're killing me

A lot of famous leaders were reported to have died whilst on the toilet or in some other manner of way, such as fucking a horse etc.

Its just propaganda from those whose version of history was accepted.

>A lot of famous leaders were reported to have died whilst on the toilet or in some other manner of way, such as shooting himself in a bunker etc.

>Its just propaganda from those whose version of history was accepted.
fixed

We should do it like Coral Castle, Ed did it on his own(pic related) and his techniques are now available.

I tend to agree with this. Or a little hill with a stone cliff would be amazing too.

BEST CASTLE

nah

Remember we have some forts

a castle built for ducks

>a literal monument to mexicans cucking america

>I'd be content with a paraplegic Hooters girl

On top of a rock

there needs to be a book or cartoon series.

H A U N T E D
A
U
N
T
E
D

They're beautiful, but its expensive as shit to have to modernize the interior of the castles to have basic electricity, plumbing, and shit like that.

Also, shitloads of basic structural repairs are needed first and foremost before moving in.

Neuschwanstein belongs in this thread

that's really cool

I guess they don't teach history in your country, dumbass. Too cold? Too much fucking poontaine? Carrie Moon not returning your call?

Overwhelmed with fucking layers of clothing thicker than your dick is long? Your roads to clogged with American vehicles and motorized French death traps that look like a woman's underarm with sheet metal hair? Fucking have to have the word "Canada" sewn on your uniform so you'll know which country you belong to.

>castles
>not wizard towers

Fucking hell, where?

Australia's greatest castle

Ha, I'm disappointed in myself for missing that joke.

Well done.

make some sense you fucking sperg

In magic fairy land you fucking poof

>captcha -> indications for carcassone