I want to get into coding, does anyone know any good places to learn? Preferably something free like a youtube series...

I want to get into coding, does anyone know any good places to learn? Preferably something free like a youtube series. I don't really care where I start but probably java, c#, or Java Script

hang on, im photoshopping your pic

JavaScript is meme coding. Learn a real language like Java, C++, C#. Python is easy syntax but you may miss out on the actual mechanics of coding

code academy. its free and very interactive.

>learn? Preferably something free like a youtube series
That is not how it works user.

A solid start

>yfw you go onto Sup Forums for the first time

I'll check it out

This.

Also, as much as I enjoy C# and Java, remember that the fundamentals for these began with C.

You can learn to code by yourself, but a lot of the concepts you need to be a computer scientists really need to be STUDIED.

I'd recommend taking some classes at your local community college.

Also, if you have any questions feel free. I'm a computer scientist.

Do you have a language you recommend I start with?

c# if you aren't a pleb

In school, you start with psuedo-code (fake programming language - like english).

This is to get the basic programming concepts down first.

After that, I'd move into an "easy" language. There are plenty of tutorials in java.

After that, you'll want to move into some of the harder languages, especially those that deal with memory management (See: C)

After that, we deep dived into Assembly Language.

After that, you go into Operating systems (Programming Language: C or C++)

There is a lot to take in. But I'd start with pseudocode/java.

cool, thanks

codecademy

Install gentoo

seconded but recommended step before java is to try a scripting language like python,perl,ruby etc

I'd generally discourage the use of scripted languages to start off with.

You want something that is highly typed (like java) and that discourages bad behavior (java won't compile if you fuck up).

Scripting languages tend to be "laissez faire" (or do what you want) and don't tell you if you are doing something wrong.

Not that scripting languages are bad, they just aren't good teaching tools.

Python would be fine though.

Learn the theory of computation before you become a shit coder. Go to school

Agreed. School is really the only way to become a good software engineer.

Unless you are extremely self motivated.

It depends on what you want to develop.

This. Don't do scripting languages until you're experienced. Also I recommend c# instead of java. It's very similar but less verbose

Would taking a college course be alot easier than trying at home?