How do I stop being a cover artist? How do I incorporate my influences to make original music?

How do I stop being a cover artist? How do I incorporate my influences to make original music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VLTlvztfdXg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just take a song that you like and change it enough that it sounds like a new song

"no"

bump

What kind of music do you play OP?

I want to do pop and hip-hop, but not like Drake.

then give up.
fjm can make pop hits like nothing. youtube.com/watch?v=VLTlvztfdXg

this is terrible and I'm not sure what it has to do with me.

Live. You're going to need to have actual personal (preferably painful) experiences to write about in your life if you ever want to be any good.

I have anxiety.

i'd say just read up a bit on basic music theory and start fucking around. not every successful musician is the super-naturally-creative type that just thinks of great melodies when they're doing their laundry or whatever.
it might take some trial and error to find a setting or method that works best for you. i personally think it's easier to think in terms of composition / writing when in a DAW like Logic or Ableton just to get a base idea for something before moving on to whatever instruments.

>good luck buddy, love u

So does Sia. Write about the pain of being s sheltered recluse who is too afraid to approach anyone and whom no one will ever love romantically

>I have anxiety.
come back when you have a disorder that you can actually funnel into art.

fuck off. most people with crippling experiences and depression are boring faggots with no original thoughts whatsoever.

don't fall into the tortured artists meme, just keep making stuff. music is art and you don't need to be some homeless depressed social outcast retard to make good music. if you're actually having trouble making your own things, you need to find what you want to make and learn how to improvise, make something from nothing

>fuck off. most people with crippling experiences and depression are boring faggots with no original thoughts whatsoever.

Easily one of the dumbest things I've ever read in my entire life. One day when you grow up, you'll realize how stupid it sounds and want to apologize to me. It's okay though, I forgive you.

there's a million of those people and trust me, they don't feel like getting up in the morning, let alone recording an entire fucking album

I mean I have chronic depression too, but I felt it wasn't worth mentioning.

get off your ass and actually write something
rip people off

By not holding onto the rockist idea that every band should have their own rendition of the same 4 chord song.

He's 100% right though.

>rip people off
I don't want to rip people off though, that's the point of this thread.

bump

bumping

Just use that same bassline effect being used on every top 40 song since Iggy Azalea's "Fancy" used it, possibly have a fake jamaican or spanish accent, maybe ft. some currently relevant rapper, no more than four chords EVER, no using practical drums, only electronic hip hop beats, actually no practical instruments, only synthesized and electronic, except MAYBE piano chords that sound like a sqeaky clean midi plugin (nothing causes more emotional output than piano chords). TL;DR do whatever they're doing on the top 40 stations.

you either got it or you dont ya fuckin mo

you know top 40 pop isn't the only pop that exists right

youre interested in a genre that hasnt had musical integrity in at least three decades

Again, top 40 pop isn't the only pop that exists, I don't really listen to any of that shit.
I named a genre that includes subgenres and decades of music.

okay name your influences for what you want to write

Write a song
Record it
Play it back
Realize what you're doing wrong
Make changes

Repeat those steps until you have a song you're proud of

All my influences or just pop? If just pop, Kate Bush, Lady Gaga, Marina & The Diamonds, Banks, Alessia Cara, Charli XCX, Kali Uchis, Lianne La Havas, Gorillaz, FKA Twigs, Michael Jackson, Tatsuro Yamashita, Tears for Fears.

Those are more just people I listen to rather than people I'm influenced by actually. My biggest pop influences are probably Kate Bush, Banks, Michael Jackson, and Tatsuro Yamashita. Maybe The Beach Boys too. Other than that my biggest influences would be Kanye, YG, Tyler the Creator, Billy Joel, Stepehen Sondheim, Mac DeMarco, Cat Stevens, Outkast, Phoenix, and the musical Parade.

learn to play a bunch of songs by those artists- once you understand how their songs work, you will see how to write songs of a similar caliber.

that's actually good advice.

you cant now, you have to many other songs in your head .
every time you try to create you realize your using bits from other songs.
you are a cover artist accept it.
some cant pic related.

bump

>How do I stop being a cover artist?
Write original songs.
How do I incorporate my influences?
Start looking at what specifically you like about the songs you cover now. What draws you to those songs? When you can answer that, you'll be well on your way towards writing new material.
Additionally, Start dissecting the songs you already cover for interesting chords/ key changes and find ways to reuse them.

just go back in time and kill your favourite artists and release their songs yourself

Sample other music

Write... music? I don't even know what you're asking. You stop covering songs and write songs by not covering songs and writing songs instead.

have you tried starting from scratch and writing a new song, you know, like everyone else who wants to make music?

Stephen Malkmus and Robert Pollard are great songwriters who.grew up normal blokes

this has to be the most autistic question ever asked, don't fucking cover songs and write a song retard if that's what you want
jesus fucking christ

Being able to.write good melodies is a talent, not something you can work towards

You either have it by age 20 or you never will.

Its a random lottery for those gifted with the talent

fuck around on a DAW and make experimental

then you will be called a pioneer 60 years later

>being this much of a fucking retard
gas yourself, dumb retard, everyone starts off shit at a skill and grows overtime as they gain more experience and learn new things.

you have to actually invest time and effort into it

This is false. Scales, chords, arrangement and phrasing can all be learned and if you have at least a decent grasp on those things you can write memorable melodies. Music isn't magic.

this is complete and utter bullshit, without any evidence backing it of course

>Start dissecting the songs you already cover for interesting chords/ key changes and find ways to reuse them.
I can't read music.
>What draws you to those songs? When you can answer that, you'll be well on your way towards writing new material.
I don't know, they're catchy and relatable?

I write lyrics but all of them are terrible, I can't express myself.

That's exactly what lazy millennial slag say. That's why we are stuck with so much fucking garbage indie music

Trust me this actually works.

Finish that one song cover or two you're trying to produce on all your own and get to it soldier.

If writing original music comes that hard to you, try this:

Record yourself doing a cover if that's what you're comfortable with. But make it good, like really good. Go through SoundCloud, find a producer you like that you think might want to work with you. Send them your cover. Hopefully they're interested to collaborate.

If you want to do pop and hip hop but have no experience writing or producing original music, but you think you might have a good voice, collaborating is the way to go. You just need to showcase your talent, and if you're good enough, people will want to work with you.

Once you get comfortable with the creative process, then you can start writing on your own.

then write more???? like youre not gonna be good off the bat retard.

Lyrics aren't music. Focus on the things people will actually hear first then, jam in lyrics later. If nothing comes to mind just resort to word salad, interestingly phrased gibberish is almost always better than a boringly stated message nobody cares about hearing for the ten thousandth time. But seriously don't even worry about that until you can write music, that's the primary concern. Don't be one of those people that scribbles down shitty poetry with no idea of how the actual song will go and calls it "writing music."

>interestingly phrased gibberish is almost always better than a boringly stated message nobody cares about hearing for the ten thousandth time
I love Young Thug, but I don't want to be like him. I'm gonna try my hardest to write sincere lyrics.

And I think I might be going to college, I'mma try to study music.

don't be afraid to write bad music at first or very silly music, just do anything to begin and gradually you'll work out what you're doing. be a kid with a paintbrush for a while, let go of trying to figure it out. your style will eventually come through.

also, don't ask people here for advice. you'll get 20 answers and none of them apply to you, because you're you.

yeah I think more than half the post in this thread are about rock music

Asking for advice on here is just stupid, especially if you're uneducated.

Read books on songwriting.
Write poetry by itself as practice.
Learn to improve your lyrical writing.

I thought my lyrics were shit too. I kept at it. It took years, but I learned how to find a style I'm okay with.

It doesn't just magically happen. Tons of the songwriters I've met who have gone to music schools since they were kids have written really poorly-structured, pretentious songs. But because they took the leap, they ended up improving over time.

Stop being a fucking pussy and create. Create shit and improve. You will never improve without trying.

Faggot.

why are you even alive

only eat eggs and bacon for breakfast as ALL the great artists have done and you got it, that's IT.

best advice I've ever heard