Gandalf is the shittest wizard in history...

Gandalf is the shittest wizard in history. In the entire trilogy he made some weapons turn slightly hot and did literally nothing else. Even dumbledore did more real magic.

Other urls found in this thread:

enworld.org/forum/content.php?3304-Was-Gandalf-Just-A-5th-Level-Magic-User
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He would have been a much better wizard if his mind weren't clouded by cannabis sativa and indica, plants which he inhaled the smoke of and suffered from their psychoactive effects.

YOU SHALL NOt PISS

We just wanted to smoke all day and chill with Hobbits.

So let's say Sauron managed to get the ring back and mankind is doomed, would Gandalf and his superiors show their true power level to save them?

*he

What about Yi Jianlian?

>has literal world shaping capabilities
>not using them and still BTFO ing the same beings who use their powers
>shitty wizard
Right.

If you want to compare to Harry Pothead, it's like a muggle beating Voldemort. That's Gandlaf.

>I never read the books

>would Gandalf and his superiors show their true power level to save them?
No... why would they?

His actions are a wizard were severely limited by God. He is something like an angel, analogically. The problem was, when the arch-angels got into a war with Sauron's dad, they destroyed too much of the world and God said "Alright, fuck you idiots get off the planet" then he made the world a sphere so nobody could walk or sail all the way to where the gods were told to stay. See, God and his little baby gods all learned that fighting, with god-powers ON EARTH, was a bad fucking idea.

Gandalf was specifically instructed to keep his magical uzi in his pants, and instead opted to control men and nations through the power of speech. He would do a little trick and everyone would start listening. Then he'd tell them what the fuck to do. And he did that for like 2000 years, so he was good at it.

Wizard of Oz is shittier

Dumbass sleeps with his eyes open so he never regenerates his spell slots

Fritz Leiber
Robert Howard
Jack Vance

All better and more influential than Tolkien. Lol, write about weed some more you Oxford fucking philologist

IDK he did some pretty noteworthy and important stuff, dispelling saruman out of the human king,
finding eomer on time to bring him to helms deep and save aragorn + gimli + elf + king from death,
connecting with the ents to overthrow Saruman at his tower
save Faramir by shining his muhhhh white wizard light on the nazgul,
can go on for a while but these are all pretty majorly impacting

Gandalf was better than the Jap wizard in the Conan movies.

>muh headcanon about how powerful wizards should be

Fuck off.

Except you're wrong.

Good post. What were your SAT scores and what's your linkedin?

>Robert Howard
Howard was an influence in all the wrong ways to the wrong people.

Is that why he killed himself like you're about to do?

You've got alot of anger for someone confident in their own wrongness.

People like to criticize Robert E. Howard, true, but most of, if not all those criticisms are from pretentious half-wits, like Stephen King, who couldn't write an award winning novel to save his life.

But Tolkien's writing is so modest and self-assured, it's almost boring with how quaint everything is treated.

He was also a little bitch that couldn't take criticism.

The Skeleton Man made the only good post in this thread.

They were influential, especially Vance, but not as much as Tolkien. The fact Tolkien is a household name and those three are names only nerds know is proof of it.

"Dumbledore" from Harry Potter?

Being one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>Tolkien's majesty is in his writing
xD

If you are reading Tolkien for the way it's written, you fucked up - big time.

Howard's a fun read but he's not more influential than Tolkien.

Howard doesn't even have the best writing of his circle. Clark Ashton Smith had better prose.

Is this all in the silmarillion? I want to read that someday but it seems daunting.

Yes, silly me, to read an authors work for the way he writes.

Conan is a more recognizable name than many of the characters in Lord of the Rings, if not all of them.

"He wondered at the presence of these raiders, for this country lay far to the south of the districts usually frequented by the Moslems. But avarice can drive men far, as the Englishmen knew. He had dealt with these gentry of old. Even as he watched, old scars burned in his back--scars made by Moslem whips in a Turkish galley. And deeper still burned Kane's unquenchable hate"

Solomon Kane - The Footfalls Within

Even if he wasn't the best, he was still very talented and knew how to create drive for characters and make their feelings visible.

Oh look, another pasta. Way to state an actual opinion.

>Conan is a more recognizable name than many of the characters in Lord of the Rings, if not all of them.
That's because of Arnold, not the writer.
Too bad Robert E Howard is not a Recognizable name compared to Tolkien.

Holy shit, The Skeleton Man is dominating this thread.

The Sillmarlillion is a history book. That is to say, it is not a very exciting read. And yes, those wars are in there.

Also, you can tell that Gandalf is purosfully holding back at all times because when the stakes go beyond "as superstitiously as possible, destroy the ring" and turn into "kill a giant flaming monster that qualitatively is the same species as me" he turns into fucking Superman and Thor. He only does that shit when nobody can see him.

Hahaha. The logic fits at least.

>That's because of Arnold

The movie's fame also belongs to the characters fame.

>Tolkien

As an artist, you definitely want your pieces to be more remembered than you, other-wise you failed.

It's spiritual magic, he's literally an angel and his strongest spell is his charisma

see

>The movie's fame also belongs to the characters fame.
It wasn't through Howard. More people have read the pastiche novels and comics seen the movie than read actual Howard. And those interpretations are different than the actual character as Howard wrote them.

To add, when you read Middle Earth stories you're getting Tolkien. When you read Conan, you're not necessarily getting Howard.

The irony is Conan is a recognized name partly because of Tolkien. In the 60's with the resurging popularity of Tolkien among the hippe youth other publishers cashed in on the fantasy trend by republishing the Conan stories. Conan rode the Tolkien wave in the paperback era.

if i can smash an anthill, direct a hose to run through it or genetically engineer the queen to be 10 feet tall

why the fuck should me using my magical speaking ability be more acceptable?

the outcome is exactly the same, i just used a different magic trick because i am a magic being

t. Moviepleb

No more posts about Robert E. Howard. This is a Lord of the Rings thread. Thanks

He should have stayed dead after Moria, reviving him was an awful decision

>shittest wizard in history
nigga what textbooks are you reading?

None of them could contest Sauron with the ring

The actual reason why Gandalf doesnt use much of his power is because the last time the "archangels" (valar) waged war against morgoth (sauron's master), the peoples of middle earth kind of feared them as well

The valar thought if the wizards are to use might, the same thing would happen and the different races would still be broken and unable to stand up for themselves

Know also that the valar weren't too eager to remove sauron's threat--they already enjpy their "heaven" and to them, sauron was nothing compared to morgoth

enworld.org/forum/content.php?3304-Was-Gandalf-Just-A-5th-Level-Magic-User

heh this pasta change the first sentence to fit the thread everytime

Whats the highest level and give me some examples? What level is Rand al Thor at? Or Quickben and some others from Malazan? Has anyone made some comprehensive list?

Gandalf was an Archangel. As far removed from mortals as we are to cockroaches. He only gimped his power levels so that humans can complete the quest and level up on xp themselves.

He was into shit, pertucilar hobbitasses.

Good list. Tolkien bores me but Vance is amazing.

I always hoped that Jackson would adapt Lyonesse after LOTRO.

Edward Norton would make an amazing Shimrod.

>were severely limited by God. He is something like an angel, a
Silmarillion must be studied, not read, but with that said it is one of my favourite books.

>Sauron's dad

kek

Samefag

I don't know which did more damage to the concept of magic in their respective media, d&d's dragonballs-inspired excrementation in roleplaying games or superhero flicks in film.

It's not that bad. Perhaps the first parts, with the valar and everything, will seem very biblical to you, but after that it's mostly about elves and shit.

I read it every fall.