/daily/

fuck

previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~CambriaSpeedRacer
youtube.com/watch?v=XmMyx2_4STg
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/sudan-archives/sudan-archives/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hello, I think I'd like to start postin around here.

This is my rateyourmusic:rateyourmusic.com/~CambriaSpeedRacer

everyone who posts in these threads is a shitty bag of filth

>>>reddit

Why do some Sounds appeal more than others? Why can't I take some text to speech of random letters, slow it down, and add referb, and call it art? Where do I start making a career out of what I just Described?

is this riceshoes

What? Who's richeshoes? Sounds like a cuck.

stick delete the thread

delete this thread
delete this account
delete reddit
delete all music
delete all trips
delete yourself
delete this post

Why?

It was a nice experiment, but it failed, better to end it now

but where else will i assign arbitrary numbers to music whilst pitting people against each other in sick tournaments?

last call for people joining before i start btw

me btw forgot trip

No

ive been shilling this album since i got here
its amazing, innit

WRIGGLE
LIKE A FUCKING
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL

Forgot my trip and image, oh my!

Thanks for the (You)'s, guys.

>Gicanto Scelsi - Les cinq quatuors a cordes; Trio a cordes; Khoom
>Quatuor Arditti / Aldo Brizzi / Michiko Hirayama / Maurizio Ben Omar / Frank Lloyd
>Modern Classical

Quatuor a cordes No. 1 starts off plainly dramatic, but deconstructs itself into the vaguely atonal, surprisingly modern in concept. Trio a cordes follows up with what almost sounds like a bagpipe in the beginning, because of the pitch bending. The strings continue to woozily pull, haunting a short range of notes and clearly exposing the semi/microtones.

Quatuor a cordes No. 2 actually seems more playful, and the dissonant blends become slightly wistful by the end of the 5th movement. Quatuor a cordes No. 3 features a more aggressive, slightly melodic, and suppressing atmosphere. No. 4 and 5 failed to leave an impression on me.

Khoom introduces a soprano soloist, bongos, and a french horn. The vocalist doesn't do anything nearly as varied as Meredith Monk, but the interaction between the horn and the singer is mesmerizing in the 3rd movement.

Once again, an interesting concept to research, but it needed more time to evolve in practice across the century.

5/10

>Amon Duul II - Yeti
>German Prog Rock

The Krautrock tag is a huge joke. This is a shoegaze and prog rock album at its core, with some real heavy 12-string guitars and tin can drumming. A violin trades off with the lead's frightened warbling, or bows idly behind more psychedelic tracks like She Came Through the Chimeny.

Eye Shaking King turns up the abrasiveness, sounding like older metal bands while delivering smooth solos. Pale Gallery is the final completely arranged track, using some synth-like tones to build tension before the 3 hulking improvised tracks. It all sounds really good for 1970, easily envelops with the amount of activity going on in the longer tracks before offering melodic or shouted reprieves.

Reccing this to Ethy.

7/10

>Joshua Pierce - John Cage: Sonatas & Interludes for Prepared Piano
>Modern Classical, Atonal

A Prepared Piano is essentially a piano with shit thrown in and around its strings to make different sounds from the keys. You may have been first exposed to it in something like Aphex Twin's Jynweythek Ylow (Drukqs).

"The preparation of the piano is quite elaborate and takes between 2 to 3 hours to complete. A total of 45 notes are prepared, mainly with screws and bolts, but also 15 pieces of rubber, 4 pieces of plastic, 6 nuts, and one eraser."

Used for Cage's purposes, undertones are brought forth from many keys, lower octaves form ancient percussion, all while Cage continues to toy with his composition's structure. The loud moments are scattershot within the album, between careful touches and intimate conversations between the performer and the instrument.

It's a thinkpiece, but in a No Man's Land between comfortable and bizarre. Usually, the enjoyment of researching these compositions overshadows the enjoyment of listening to the music itself.

6+/10

>AMM - AMMMUSIC 1966
>Free Improv, Noise

The recording quality really makes this album (and me) suffer. It's like listening to a brick.

The quintet that started this group decided on no communication prior to or during later performances, in fashion of true improvisation. In the dissonance between radios, strings, and a piano, the first sounds of this genre that were heard by the public are of a glowering, evil nature. Why SHOULD improvisation sound nice? Why WOULD it sound nice? Without collaboration, each performer self-expresses with no regard for others. Now increase that number by millions, and you'd have the mess we call the Human Population.

The roots of improvisation surround the idea that the brain be uncomfortable with sounds that are not pleasing, or sound unnatural-- rearming the primal nature of an animal. When radio is used to play snippets of a string orchestra or conversation, this sensation is doubled, clashing known with the unknown. It's the very roots of why improvisation is the most powerful genre in stirring reactions.

This album is an impressive foundation for group improvisation.

(and does somebody in the audience laugh in the fourth track?)

7+/10

6.4 equals
make ooouuuuttt

Calling
Fish
Lemme suck
That di
Ck

I know Yeti dude. It's totally krautrock

I need more people to recc "krautrock" that isn't Can. I mean what makes it different from prog and psych rock besides being german and a bit experimental?

You summed it up. Also repetition

listen to faust 1 friend.
not only is it one of the best krautrock albums, its also basically the best album ever.

Krautrock is just german prog niqqa, same for Canterbury and Italo, it's prog but that's used just to know where it's from

krautrock means they use the le epic kick kick kick snare drum pattern

Paging rodriguez (again) Well cool, guess it isn't as complicated as I thought. Blapp, save Faust for a future tourney of mine.

u got it boss reserve me a spot w that album when the time comes around

hey esdece have you seen this before?

youtube.com/watch?v=XmMyx2_4STg

Do my 5.0s and 4.5s, or make mental notes to avoid them because my taste is so shit

Good morning /daily/!

Auxerre is hot as balls.

Here's a good album rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/sudan-archives/sudan-archives/

>wanting variation in scelsi
missing the point

Where did I say I wanted variation?

I recognize that wanting more sounds at once while playing microtones nullifies the purpose of its minimal aspects. I also know that Scelsi is another composer that reveled in dynamics and, built around single pitches at a time. I think the way one blog describes it as "monotonal" because of his music's clusters of pitch frequencies on a "bandwidth" accurately portrays the majority of work on this album.

I just can't pretend that I wanted to pick out every half-step between the tremolos and glissandos, or that I particularly enjoyed it compared to the other selections on the chart. 5/10 is an "ok" for me, not a "this is flawed".

eh i misread
>The vocalist doesn't do anything nearly as varied as Meredith Monk
as being a bad thing
desu i wanted to bump the thread from page 8

This shit RIGHT HERE
i love it

It'd be a bad thing if she was the main focus but I don't think it works like that
I kinda know I shouldn't be giving it a 5, but this is /daily/ after all

>Why can't I take some text to speech of random letters, slow it down, and add referb, and call it art?
But you can. Art is not sacred.

I think so. Maybe not tho. I'll watch it.

update on listening to some of your favs blapp

coltrane - sun ship

eh it was alrite. not really what i usually look for in jazz though. i've never really been a big fan of him

today is the day - willpower

this was a bit of a surprise to me bc i never liked much post hardcore at all but this was a real jam. i like their artsy tendencies and the guitars especially. i have a friend who's really into these guys so i'm going to hear more of their stuff sometime for sure.

Art better be scared of what im about to do to it

these are just 36 essential albums of the dj-screw era dirty south, there are some key omissions (the hot boyz among them) but overall this is a great selection of albums from both Screwed Up Click members and SUC affiliates

Why would you want a chart of all that garbage cRAP?

Every single answer has been dead wrong btw.

It just means it belongs to the same German counterculture movement starting in the late 60s. Not defined by any particular sound (the 4/4 beat is called the Motorik and it was Jaki Liebezeit'a signature until a few bands adopted it). That's why it groups together Popol Vuh, Cluster, Kraftwerk, and some Berlin School stuff in with rock bands. Every single group that was called krautrock detests the term because, again, it's just vague terminology. My understanding is more of them call it "cosmic music," which is more descriptive of the vision behind the movement.

how the fuck do you not like Can?

hey man fuck you this shit is the titties
all i do is bang screw you punk bitch

i've noticed lately that a lot of daily users hadn't listened to can until recently
how is this possible

or maybe its that they had only heard one, and then decided to listen to more
but even then how do you listen to experimental rock music and not hear at the very least can's big damo three?

Stupid negro.

hey banjo maybe u forgot but is this 9gag or something

>A reggaeton song is now the most popular song on the planet, even in Europe and Japan
We should start bowing to yamir guys, it's clear Puerto Rico is taking over

shh yamir its okay
reggaeton will catch on dont worry

It's the seventeenth most popular song in your country and going up.

im SMASHIN that replay button hahaha

It destroys me. I really think Can at their peak were the best rock band. Rock just didn't anything as close to a groove before them.

mniam

CAN YOU DO THE CHLORINE GARGLE?????

You'd be surprised at how many classic bands I haven't given time because reasons

Despacito is ranked number:
>17 in Poland
>21 in Latvia
>4 in Russia
>2 in Hungary
>2 in Ukraine
>1 in Belarus
>1 in Japan
>6 in Germany
>1 in America
When were you when trap was kill?

I wish 9gag was full of memri tv screenshots.

why is the rest of the world only hearing this shit now? I've been hearing it around for months.

>lives in a south american country
>wonders why a spanish song is more popular around there than the rest of the world

>Poland 17
because rank 1 is disco polo king - ZENON MARTYNIUK?

shesh

Kebab

you stole my meme tripfag

The comment section for this song on YouTube is so embarrassing

Can was one of the many albums hat turned me off Sup Forums essentials

Yeah

If that's its "official" definition then you've confirmed the term itself is as stupid as I originally thought it was

glad u liked willpower
i recommend sadness will prevail, but it's important to note that it's a very different experience from willpower. it's the band's most ambitious work, but it leans more towards noisecore in structure.

It's about the cultural movement though, which people here have underplayed

why is the term krautrock stupid tho? its just like calling music no wave or rock in opposition. they're all movements, but they all have a distinct sound to them too.

Just listen to Future Days stupid fuck

>Alice Coltrane - Turiya Sings
Beautiful, but top heavy
4/5
>Worship - Last Tape Before Doomsday
I was slightly disappointed after being really hyped for this, from the reviews, the Friends 3.71 from 28 ratings, and the cover art. Still extremely heavy, but I don't know if I'll ever fall in love with a doom album
3.5/5
>Taku Sugimoto / Nankou Kumon / Toshiki Izumi / Masanori Hattori / Tetuzi Akiyama / Hiroki Chiba / Kazuya Takeda / Taeko Okada - A Young Person's Guide to Antoine Beuger
The Tanzaku tracks were good, but wasn't a fan of the Sekundenklänge pieces.
3/5
>Gary Wilson - You Think You Really Know Me
I've heard a lot of my friends say they were in love with this, and I get the appeal and the fact that it has a very unique personality. Idk though, it wasn't really that good, just felt like, from the words of mbrown, "like a guy who never got past high school puberty awkwardness but hes like 35 and makes music".. except he thought this was a good thing and I didn't I guess. Still wasn't necessarily bad, and I love hearing things as unique as this.
3/5

Good-day /daily/, how are you all doing? Have tried the following;

>Air - Moon Safari. This came off as quite a front-loaded record and like most French releases didn't live up to the hype. Though I did recognize Sexy Boy from somewhere which was pretty nice.
>Flotation Toy Warning - Bluffer's Guide to the Flight Deck. Very nice orchestral space rock (ish) album, lots of atmosphere and love Carter's smooth vocals.
>Flotation Toy Warning - The Machine That Made Us. Contender for album of the year so far not that there's much competition really. Really liked the greater emphasis on strings and these drone-inspired synths that persist throughout. Love Due to Adverse Weather Conditions the lyrics of which play like some sort of post-apocalyptic Victorian novella and especially The Moongoose Analogue (messaged the band a couple days ago and Carter said the track's also his favourite off of the new record). Certainly give this album a listen it you haven't already.
>Touming Magazine - 透明雜誌. This is what happens when you add the noise rock elements of early Sonic Youth to Television's Marquee Moon. Love this thing, don't understand a word of it though the guitars are on full auto throughout and the riffs are surprisingly unique and intricate.

No real surprise, take a pop song and slap a foreign language and people will flock to it so they can claim to be "cultured" whilst putting zero effort into experimentation.

Listened to the first 10 seconds of Future Days and turned it off waiting for the special moment to play it. That being said I've listened to a live performance on a whim (some 10 minute drum-focused jam off of one of their later albums) and it was great.

excited to see yr thoughts on sunshine has blown.

Sorry if I got carried away but I felt it. Plus some other stuff that didn't do it for me in comparison.

>Joe Henderson - The Elements (1974)

I've spent a bit of time with this one now to make sure I feel the way I do about it, and there's no way around that this meets my criteria for musical genius. Over the course of four separate tracks dedicated to the classical elements--Fire, Air, Water, and Earth--Joe Henderson, Alice Coltrane, Charlie Haden, and a host of percussionists create a new and singular sound much larger than the sum of its parts.

The opener, "Fire", appropriately sets the tone of the album with a burst of energy from every member of the band. I think genius often manifests itself in music as this vibrancy--as if the music were alive as an entity separate from the musicians--and I think this particular cut is some of the best evidence out there of the phenomenon. The title aptly describes the lively swing of the song caused by this seemingly infinite dance of moving pieces.

"Air" follows with an appropriately formless composition in comparison that features the musicians playing a singular theme but without a unifying rhythm to tie them together. It also has some of Joe Henderson's most adventurous solos to date, leading into the following track.

"Water" is a relative return to form before the big finale with some more Bitches Brew-esque soloing from Henderson, which I still haven't quite gotten a grasp on. As others may point out, it would've been too easy to wring out moody ambience, so what's here instead is this extremely feverish psychedelic tone set only to constant rhythm of shakers and eerie baseline that seems to stay just below the surface.

"Earth", of course, is the most grounded composition here, which evokes a caravan crawl across the desert and begins with a rightfully-placed percussive solo leading into the fourth quarter before the main middle-eastern-influenced theme that filters in and out--a constant and simple bass line matched step-for-step by a beat serving to highlight Henderson's own feverish, smooth-as-silk, lounge-y theme that could stick in one's mind for an eternity. Note how full the sonic spectrum is on this track--how the tabla and bass are layered by the tanpura, which in turn lays the foundation for the violin, Coltrane's harp, and Henderson's saxophone.

In its ideal form, cosmic music mirrors our understanding of the universe--that a connection is drawn indiscriminately between forces big and small, that it takes on characteristics similar to life, that it rolls everything together into one. To my ears, The Elements isn't far off.
9/10

next

fantastic album, nice review

Thank you. Got similar recs? "Fire" is just the best feeling in musical form

Dolly mixture, now!

Tomorrow is the start of the music fest season for me, starting with a p cool fest called Milhões de Festa, but I don't know most of the lineup.

any fags who recognize or like someone in the lineup (the more famous ones are in the Palco Milhões bit) please tell me, I'm too lazy to look up all these people

I've heard Pigs x7, they're alright stoner rock.
Yves Tumor is good.
Faust is obviously good.
Gnod is good noise rock.

That's all I've heard

Definitely go to see Heiroglyphic Being

No

I think I just don't like the name used to describe such a huge spectrum of music, it's about as useful as the term IDM

Bitchin Bajas are supposed to be cool

i'm no expert but check out more spiritual jazz shit, a lot of Pharoah Sanders stuff gives me that feeling, Karma of course but others like Izipho Zam are great too.

and i've already recd it to you but Joe McPhee's Nation Time is similar, doesn't have the cosmic vibe but the sheer energy is spiritual imo

there's a couple others i like (like Sonny Sharrock) but I@m not sure you'll dig them

Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses (1993)
>gothic metal

I know that all of Type O Negative's music is incredibly tongue-in-cheek, but just because they're presenting this overly grim, gothic music in a satiral manner doesn't mean I have to appreciate it. Steele's vocals are charismatic and admittedly pretty funny (in a good way), but the gothic instrumentals are too turgid, and the album is filled to the brim with short tracks that don't even do much to add to the album's atmosphere, let alone leave an impression by themselves. The longer tracks are really solid, though. Both "Christian Woman" and "Black No. 1" successfully build dark atmospheres without sacrificing the band's sense of humor, and their both catchy as shit to boot. I absolutely prefer the rawer, more immediate thrash of Slow, Deep and Hard, but this has its moments.

2.0+

Pharoah Sanders - Karma (1969)
>spiritual jazz, avant-garde jazz

One of the more life-affirming jazz albums I've ever heard, but not without it's faults. I seem immune to the charms of Thomas' chanting, spiritual vocals. They fit the vibe Sanders is going with in his compositions, but they seem rather tactless and overdone. Instrumentally, this is pretty goddamn smoking, I can't deny that. It's a complete racket of noise, but everything works well together to create something beautifully clean, uncluttered, and ceremonious. I'm not as huge on this as a lot of people are, but it's pretty damn great.

3.0+

hieroglyphic being is great

also please for the love of god see sly & the family drone

i don't know a single thing about them but that is a top-tier name

man i love the yodelling, normally that kind of vocal performance detracts for me but it fits so beautifully

read angels by denis johnson good shit

On it. Only heard Karma as far as Sanders' solo stuff. I like Sharrock as a guitarist. Ask the Ages is cool, Black Woman tested my patience just a little.

Read this.

too late

was it his wife's singing that put you off?

no he just hates black women

no way : O

Not just that though, they get cool atmospheric effects at times, and Sonny's playing is really cool, actually, but it's just a little bit frustratingly chaotic, like I wish they would actually just connect at some points. Due for a relisten, nonetheless

Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)
>progressive metal

Opeth just really aren't my style. They do what they do well, it's just not a style I'm really into at all. Prog metal outside of a certain few bands just tests my patience, something Opeth certainly does too, even with their increased emphasis on the "prog". The clean segments tend to fair better than the actual metal segments here, they're delicate without being too flouncy and they boast really wonderful vocal performances from Åkerfeldt. The metal is just generic deathy stuff that always transitions really awkwardly into the clean sections. It's an awkward mix of two clashing styles of different sounds and calibers, and it makes for a really uneven album.

2.0+

can someone explain what the /daily/ threads are about?

the what?